Time for a Christmas cooking thread

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Christmas Eve: Sausage Balls, French Onion Soup with Gruyere and Upsidedown Pineapple Cake

Christmas Day: Baked French Toast Casserole for breakfast. Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower and Meats and Cheese plate for mid day munchings.
For dinner I'm doing a standing Rib Roast, Corn Casserole, Dauphinoise Potatoes, Green Beans, freshly baked Dinner Rolls and a Honeycrisp Salad.

Desert: My fiance's dad takes care of all of that and it's always something different and good so no telling. Some kind of Crème Brule with some dark chocolate and fruits with a whipped topping isn't a bad guess though.

Drinks: Shock Top Twisted Pretzel, which I've never tasted before but is very good, Apple Cider Mimosas, and I also have some Trulys on standby.

Cheers and Merry Christmas, Sixpackers!!

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Sausage balls, Oniony, Garlicy, Meaty cheese ball,
Devil's food chocolate cake
Small Beef Roast
Mashed Potatoes & gravy
My late MIL's Special Spinach

I just put the cake in the oven and got out the stuff to make my cheese ball.

My wife is working all weekend. Every other year we have a non-traditional Christmas dinner where we just find something that's easy to fix that everybody loves so we started dialing down the menu for holiday meals and it's been a lot less stress for us and a lot more time and fun. Last night we got together with all my kids and grandkids and my daughter just made a breakfast casserole for us all to eat for dinner and it was great and she didn't have to slave in the kitchen. Jin and I decided to the next holiday gathering we will make tacos with three or four different kinds of fillings

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Two Prime Ribs on the Egg as I type. Stuffed mushrooms, bacon wrapped green beans, garlic grits, homemade rolls, and pasta salad. No idea what's for dessert but I'm sure there is something that I haven't seen yet. Hate I can't post pictures. Oh, an ice cold Dos Equis to wash it all down. Merry Christmas , kiss my ***, kiss your ***, kiss his ***, Happy Hanukkah!

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Yuengling Hershey's Dark Chocolate Stout is legit. That's probably going to be my dessert!

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Buddy of mine is a big spear fisherman. Went out yesterday and they brought home 1000 pounds of fish between four boats. He brought me a lot this afternoon.

So we shifted our menu tonight and I’m frying some grouper and sweet potato fries instead of the pork loin I was planning.

Tomorrow we’re doing flank steak, Brussels, sweet potatoes, and some rice pilaf.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Prime filet and grilled shrimp are on the docket for tomorrow.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
The annual Christmas chicken and sausage gumbo is simmering right now. This is my one contribution to the gluttony.

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
Crab stew, charcuterie, smoked yellowfin tuna dip, and an assortment of finger foods this afternoon/evening. Tomorrow will be surf and turf with smoked prime rib and drenched lobster claws. Planning to do the lobster claws in a butter-wine-garlic-lemon sauce.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Tonight we have a deep fried Turkey mother in law got someone to fry for her and I’m smoking a “poor mans brisket”. I had a chuck roast in the fridge that was about to expire so I threw it on there and treated it like a brisket. We shall see.

Louisiana shrimp mold - pound of shrimp cut up with some tomato soup, cocktail sauce, Mayo, cream cheese, minced celery and green onion, and gelatin. Pour it into a cake mold and let it set up in the fridge for a few hours. Spread on crackers.

Tomorrow just smoking a spiral cut ham and putting a homemade glaze on it. Nothing too complicated.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Gumbo tonight. Burgers for lunch tomorrow something quick so we can get on the road. Ribeyes Sunday.

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
Smoked (green egg) turkey breast, honey glazed ham (oven), honey glazed carrots (the glaze has mixture of honey and O.J.), homemade Mac n cheese, homemade red velvet cake, smoked salmon on wafers, and whatever the in-laws are bringing

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
My family always did Italian dressing, but my wife mixes a little bit of garlic powder and brown sugar in with soy sauce for the glaze and it's killer.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Can you explain bacon wrapped green beans? I've never heard of that before.
Take canned long cut or what they call full length green beans, bundle about five green beans and wrap with about a half slice of bacon. Lay the bundles in a casserole dish, sprinkle liberally with brown sugar and add about a 1/4-1/2 stick of butter. Bake or grill until the bacon starts to crisp on top or before the brown sugar burns. Best damn green beans in the entire civilized world.

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
Grilled salmon & butternut squash risotto on Christmas Eve.
smoked Turkey breast, dressing, and all the fixings tomorrow.
plus all the Dripping Springs and red wine you want.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
What did y’all get? MS waters? We went out of Alabama yesterday and was the only boat on the water.

Aug 3, 2019
Back in Mississippi with the in-laws. Traditional Christmas fare, but sausage, cheesecakes, and spinach dip in Hawaiian bread for the pre-meal.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Tonight we did what we always do-charcuterie of everything imaginable, meatballs in marinara with provolone on sub rolls if anyone wants a sandwich, lots of assorted wines, beer, hard liquor.

Tomorrow I’m cooking a dozen prime ribeyes I had cut 1 3/4” thick. We’re doing a couple of different potatoe casseroles, bacon-wrapped green beans, steamed asparagus with lots of butter, Greek salad and some of my wife’s homemade French bread with lots of butter and garlic.

If anyone wants dessert we have the best red velvet cake ever made, Italian cream cake and a fantastic egg custard.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Had the best damn steak I've had since Omaha when I ate at Gorat's twice. Anybody else ate there? Supposed to be Warren Buffet's favorite Omaha steakhouse.

All the credit goes to my stepson, btw. He can cook a damn good meal when he sets his mind to it.

Last edited:

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
What did y’all get? MS waters? We went out of Alabama yesterday and was the only boat on the water.

I didn’t go - my buddy did. He’s one of the founders of the Deep Water Mafia and the group took out 4 boats. I didn’t ask where they went this time, but they usually run about 100-150 miles out…

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Had a whole filet yesterday with the normal sides at lunch. We took the leftovers and made authentic Philly cheesesteaks and served those on Hawaiian bread hoagies ( highly recommend that twist).

Today I have a ham on the smoker that will be glazed with my homemade honey apple butter & bourbon glaze. I also have a Cajun Turkey on the smoker and I'm sure we will make turkey pot pies later this week.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I was going to buy a cab chuck roast the other day to do a ms poboy - $5.99lb. Stupid.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Smoke-fried turkey. Getting the turkey up to 120 or whenever I’m happy with the smoke content, then oil-less frying it. Basting with butter, garlic, rosemary, thyme, nutmeg, and sage every hour while smoking and putting the drippings in a fat separator to make giblet gravy. Typical sides.

Had fresh blackened snapper from Thursday’s trip last night topped with a crawfish cream sauce that was vacuum sealed and freezed from our last boil with some roasted garlic smashed potatoes

Nunya.sixpack

Jun 10, 2019
The inlaws came to town. They bought a bunch of food for "tradition", so any menu we might have had is going away for the traditional warming up a spiral ham and cold corn salad. Isn't it lovely allowing the senile person to shop?

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
4 bone rib roast on the smoker with homemade au jus and horseradish sauce, my amazing asparagus casserole, roasted butternut squash, candied sweet potatoes with absurdly expensive pecans, basmati rice, my favorite cab, and red velvet cake for dessert.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
We’re having dove poppers and sausage balls to start. We’ve got a pork butt smoking and broccoli salad and sweet potato casserole and a Hershey bar pie for dessert. Will have some woodford reserve for sipping.

Actually that’s not what we’re having at all, but I just thought that’s the sort of thing most people here would post, and thought it’d be fun to guess before reading the thread so I could fit in

kb549

Oct 6, 2014
Christmas Eve - Lebanese Dinner - Chicken kabobs w/onions (both marinated in olive oil, allspice, salt & pepper), homemade Syrian bread, dolmas (meat stuffed grape leaves - allspice, salt, pepper, & crushed tomatoes), baked kibbeh, salata (salad - olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, & allspice), lebnah, & several Lebanese deserts

breakfast - pigs in a blanket, ambrosia, & French toast casserole

lunch - gumbo (shrimp, sausage, and okra - oysters & crab were too damn high)

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
We do pretty much the same thing as we do for Thanksgiving. I’m smoking a turkey on the egg, later we’ll do dressing, fried corn, hash brown casserole, gravy, deviled eggs, and butter beans.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The ladies had colossal red alaskan king crab. Me and the boy enjoyed a 32 oz porterhouse w/ a side of lil butcher shoppe 3 cheese sausage.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login