Titan’s CB’s house explodes

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Seems crazy that none of it really looks burned... I guess maybe since everything is so spread out there wasn't much of a fire?

rynodawg

May 29, 2007

ok experts, what caused this? The overhead footage in the video crazy.
So what should the average homeowner be doing to stop their home from exploding? Annual inspections? Wait until you actually smell the gas? Do most people on this board pay for inspections on a regular basis? It seems like such a catastrophic event that does not get much attention as far as prevention. Did not grow up w gas, but current house has it.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
So what should the average homeowner be doing to stop their home from exploding? Annual inspections? Wait until you actually smell the gas? Do most people on this board pay for inspections on a regular basis? It seems like such a catastrophic event that does not get much attention as far as prevention. Did not grow up w gas, but current house has it.
I would think they only place you could test for a leak is at appliances that use it. Maybe if you have all that checked out and still smell gas you can somehow try to follow the gas line back. Makes me glad I am on propane. My tank is about 80 yards from my house for this very reason so the only gas in my house is whatever is in the gas lines. I wouldn't think that would be enough to do much damage.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I would think they only place you could test for a leak is at appliances that use it. Maybe if you have all that checked out and still smell gas you can somehow try to follow the gas line back. Makes me glad I am on propane. My tank is about 80 yards from my house for this very reason so the only gas in my house is whatever is in the gas lines. I wouldn't think that would be enough to do much damage.
The only gas in that house in NC was the gas in the lines too. A propane leak can absolutely destroy a house. Good news is, you'll almost always smell it before anything bad happens. But you do need a full gas leak check any time your service is connected or you change out an appliance.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
That 80 yards is way too close if you are concerned about a the tank exploding. It would take an extraordinary event to make that happen.

Propane Tank BLEVE

And like Patdog said, a propane leak inside the house would blow it up too.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
If you smell gas, get out and leave the door open. Call the fire department from outside the house.

Don't turn on or off anything. Leave. Let them turn off the gas to the house and then open doors/windows.

Thankfully, the odorant they put in Natural gas can be smelled at very very low levels... Way below the level for an issue.

Reactions: patdog

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
The same thing happened to a home in a nice neighborhood in Meridian several years ago.... killing one person.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Just happened in PA a couple of weeks ago and it leveled about 3-4 homes there with 5 people killed I think.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Not to be that guy but it might have been a meth lab. Just saying.*******

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login