To our younger posters who wonder what croom was like

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm glad we got some new basketball coaches. They should give us some distraction. When do the Men and Ladies tip off?

Reactions: tenureplan

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Hell Croom would have gone into this game with a bunch of two stars and got whipped by 21 but they would have been two stars with good character.
And they would have been expected (in his fat head) to have lost by much more!!

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Sometimes I wonder why Stricklin and Cohen left..... then I'm reminded

patdog

May 28, 2007
5 years of games like this. Except most of them were losses.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Croom won 4 or fewer games in 4 of his 5 seasons at MSU.
We are already at 4 wins.
Croom won 9 his first 3 seasons.

This season is frustrating, but it is not Croom level.
Remember the Maine!!

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Croom won 4 or fewer games in 4 of his 5 seasons at MSU.
We are already at 4 wins.
Croom won 9 his first 3 seasons.

This season is frustrating, but it is not Croom level.
Remember the Maine!!
You aren’t wrong. God he sucked

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Regarding the Croom era, I was at the game we were down 32-7 in the third quarter to a Tulane team that hadn’t played a home game in over a year after Hurricane Katrina. I was at the Maine game. LSU beat us so bad one year that they took knees at the end of the first half on our side of the field. So no, this isn’t anywhere as bad as the Croom years.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Yeah, not as bad as Croom for sure, but the last three years of Sherrill were way way way worse than the last three with Leach.

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
Croom was in gridlock all the time. In a critical situation, he'd take a time out to talk about play calling, then we'd get a delay of game penalty on the next play. I don't see that with these coaches.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
croom got five years, I think Arnett gets 3
If this clown-show staff gets 3 years, it will require the 2nd coming of Saban to get us back into bowl conversation. The longer we postpone the inevitable, the harder it is going to be getting back to relevancy. Ibdancin nailed it. Money and support will dry up next year and that will make it even harder.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Croom was in gridlock all the time. In a critical situation, he'd take a time out to talk about play calling, then we'd get a delay of game penalty on the next play. I don't see that with these coaches.
Yeah.....I do think we need to ease up on the Croom comparisons. Croom might have been the worst college football head coach in history. Hard to imagine many worse. And maybe he could have improved, but it was his pride and ego that prevented it. He just had to control the offense, when he should have just done the CEO thing and recruited/spoke - which was his strength. Woody running the offense alone would have netted a few more wins for him, but he was too prideful to see it.

Arnett at least had some college experience. But he's making some pretty stupid decisions too, up until this point. Him taking over the defense again was one of the first good ones he's made in a while. That's his strength - he's very much like Mullen except defensive. Both were fundamental coaches who need to be involved, yet Arnett is trying to be a CEO type. Which is why things appear so out of sorts - folks working outside their strengths will have that look.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
With the game hanging in the balance in Athens, Croom went for it on UGA’s 45.. got it and then 4 plays later punted from their 35.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login