To the people that watched on tv

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Letter of the law - you can make that call. Should you? No. Not unless someone wants to explain to me how he could have made that tackle differently at game speed. He made his best play. It was a good tackle. Football is dangerous and he didn't do anything that made it incrementally so. That should never be penalized.
Also worth noting the on field officials didn’t flag it. That was a booth review and I assume at that point the head official is practically forced to apply the rule as it’s written.

Still BS that they stopped the game to review that. Not sure I’ve ever seen a review called on one similar where the hit wasn’t anywhere close to the head

Reactions: onewoof

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Also worth noting the on field officials didn’t flag it. That was a booth review and I assume at that point the head official is practically forced to apply the rule as it’s written.

Still BS that they stopped the game to review that. Not sure I’ve ever seen a review called on one similar where the hit wasn’t anywhere close to the head
Good point.

Officials need the ability to call a penalty and not eject. If that's a penalty as written (it was), I'd like to see some reality built in. Could the tackle have been made in a significantly safer way? Fine, eject. If the player was making simply making a bang bang play and you can't picture the guy having made the tackle differently, he needs to stay in the game.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Lead with the crown of his helmet to the lower extremity. Not head to head; no targeting. Since no one can decipher the rule, why have it?
It does not have to be head on head to be targeting. If a defender lowers his head and hits the offensive player with the crown of his helmet, it is targeting. It is for the protection of the defensive player also, not just the offensive player.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login