To think you can just continue the Air Raid without Mike Leach running it, is DUMB

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have heard now about Mike's huge coaching tree and some very successful coaches in that tree. However I don't believe any of those guys is actually running the Air Raid. They have integrated some concepts of it in their offenses, but they don't run it like Mike Leach runs it. So please just get it through your thick skull. The fact is we will not be running the Air Raid next year.

Hopefully we can keep some of those concepts since the personnel we will have were recruited to play in that style. I just don't know how the Message Board BeliSabans keep thinking Cam Newton or Patrick Maholmes is easy to find. How replacing Will Clark or Rafael Palmiero is nothing but a thing. There is a reason that some players and coaches are worth what they get paid if not more. They can't be easily replaced.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Personally, I find it insulting that you served up a word salad with NO dressing!!***

Weird *** melt.

Reactions: The Fatboy

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I have heard now about Mike's huge coaching tree and some very successful coaches in that tree. However I don't believe any of those guys is actually running the Air Raid. They have integrated some concepts of it in their offenses, but they don't run it like Mike Leach runs it. So please just get it through your thick skull. The fact is we will not be running the Air Raid next year.

Hopefully we can keep some of those concepts since the personnel we will have were recruited to play in that style. I just don't know how the Message Board BeliSabans keep thinking Cam Newton or Patrick Maholmes is easy to find. How replacing Will Clark or Rafael Palmiero is nothing but a thing. There is a reason that some players and coaches are worth what they get paid if not more. They can't be easily replaced.
Matt Mumme, Hal's son, still runs it, perhaps with a little Pistol mixed in. Is now OC at Colorado State. Prior to that he was at Nevada, following Jay Norvell to both places. He also has HC experience at lower division. Has had success wherever he has coached and was one of the QB's who played for Mike.

I would not be displeased if we learned we offered & he accepted.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Matt Mumme, Hal's son, still runs it, perhaps with a little Pistol mixed in. Is now OC at Colorado State. Prior to that he was at Nevada, following Jay Norvell to both places. He also has HC experience at lower division. Has had success wherever he has coached and was one of the QB's who played for Mike.

I would not be displeased if we learned we offered & he accepted.

He’s not the OC at Colorado State. He’s the associate head coach and QB coach.

Basically he took a demotion going there…..from Nevada. Hard pass.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm not worried about whether we run the Air Raid or not. I'm just glad that we have learned at Mississippi State we can do something other than hand to the full back three times in a row and punt. I know we've had success running the ball, but we have a lot more lean times than success.

I think you guys are worrying too much. Whoever the new guy coming in is, they're going to be running their own style of offense. He wants to run things based on his own philosophy. It may have roots in the air raid, but I don't envision us running anything exactly the same way we used to.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
True. Also true is to believe we are going to install the veer and just do running plays from here on out is dumb.
Yeah, but no one is claiming that in all these OC posts and staff changes posts I have read today.

What I am saying is Mike Leach was unique and this personnel package has been developed to those unique coaching philosophies of him. To think we will continue in that same direction as many have stated is plain dumb. Hopefully we can find someone with similar philosophies that can make this team successful. It won't be easy.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
He’s not the OC at Colorado State. He’s the associate head coach and QB coach.

Basically he took a demotion going there…..from Nevada. Hard pass.
From what I understand Jay Norvell considers him indispensable. He followed Norvell there, so if he sucked as Norvell's OC, I doubt Norvell takes him with him. Again, Nevada had great success with him as OC.

All I'm saying is there are still coaches out there coaching the Air Raid, and close to it's purest form. Matt Mumme is one of those few.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
From what I understand Jay Norvell considers him indispensable. He followed Norvell there, so if he sucked as Norvell's OC, I doubt Norvell takes him with him. Again, Nevada had great success with him as OC.

All I'm saying is there are still coaches out there coaching the Air Raid, and close to it's purest form. Matt Mumme is one of those few.

Nevada had one Top 50 offense in 5 years that Mumme Jr. was “OC”. And reading the tea leaves, it seems that Norvell was really the OC the entire time, while Mumme just got the title. Real similar to how it was with Mullen / Billy Gonzalez here.

It actually still seems to be that way. Colorado State currently doesn’t even have a coach on staff with an OC title. It’s all Norvell calling the plays.

So, “indispensible” or not for Norvell, we aren’t going to consider a G5 position coach, with no real big time OC experience - who also has been involved with nothing but mediocre offenses even as a position coach - for an SEC offensive coordinator position with full autonomy. Not happening.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Nevada had one Top 50 offense in 5 years that Mumme Jr. was “OC”. And reading the tea leaves, it seems that Norvell was really the OC the entire time, while Mumme just got the title. Real similar to how it was with Mullen / Billy Gonzalez here.

It actually still seems to be that way. Colorado State currently doesn’t even have a coach on staff with an OC title. It’s all Norvell calling the plays.

So, “indispensible” or not for Norvell, we aren’t going to consider a G5 position coach, with no real big time OC experience - who also has been involved with nothing but mediocre offenses even as a position coach - for an SEC offensive coordinator position with full autonomy. Not happening.
Didn't say we would. Just responded to Bruce's belief that nobody else runs the Air Raid like Leach did. Also, Joe Santoro, sportswriter for the Nevada Appeal was upset Matt Mumme wasn't offered the HC position at Nevada after Norvell left for CSU. According to him, Mumme did fantastic work with their offense,

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Didn't say we would. Just responded to Bruce's belief that nobody else runs the Air Raid like Leach did. Also, Joe Santoro, sportswriter for the Nevada Appeal was upset Matt Mumme wasn't offered the HC position at Nevada after Norvell left for CSU. According to him, Mumme did fantastic work with their offense,

I think that’s kind of the thing though….MM was never really the one running it. Just like Billy Gonzalez was never really running our offense with Mullen.

One would assume that based on who his dad is (if nothing else) he would know quite a bit about the concepts. But that’s about it.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I don’t expect us to run Mike’s air raid without Mike. What I want is to bring someone in with a more modern air raid philosophy to take advantage of what we have in place. This includes updating the running game.

Bringing in someone who runs a completely different offense will make as much sense as Moorhead forcing his RPO on a team built for the run heavy spread option. That team was loaded with potential, and was completely squandered.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
I don’t expect us to run Mike’s air raid without Mike. What I want is to bring someone in with a more modern air raid philosophy to take advantage of what we have in place. This includes updating the running game.

Bringing in someone who runs a completely different offense will make as much sense as Moorhead forcing his RPO on a team built for the run heavy spread option. That team was loaded with potential, and was completely squandered.
I think that's what's going to happen and that's what would have happened if ML were still here. His QB recruiting kinda highlights that. Its going to still be an air raid system but it's going to evolve...it was happening either way...

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
If you were Arnett, and had watched your defense bail out Leach's offense for 3 years, would YOU try to run the same offense? I think he should definitely try to improve on the system that is currently in place.

Who drew up those running plays we used in the last 2 drives? Those weren't just audibles from Will.

College offensives have changed significantly over the last decade. We have the personnel to run a variety of modern offenses, many of which incorporate Air Raid techniques.

Nothing against Arnett, but I would have preferred to see us open the checkbook and hire an experienced HC. Regardless, I'm excited to see someone progress our offense beyond what Leach built.

Reactions: onewoof

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, but no one is claiming that in all these OC posts and staff changes posts I have read today.

What I am saying is Mike Leach was unique and this personnel package has been developed to those unique coaching philosophies of him. To think we will continue in that same direction as many have stated is plain dumb. Hopefully we can find someone with similar philosophies that can make this team successful. It won't be easy.
However, finding someone who runs an offense that has roots in Air Raid and can take advantage of the personnel is perfectly reasonable. Everyone nowadays runs some adaptation of it.

Reactions: Duggar Hall Desk

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

Don’t disagree. There may be other flavors out there, but Leach’s air raid was the one and only air raid as far as I’m concerned.

What I don’t know yet is whether moving away from that is a good or bad thing. After 3 years of it in the SEC, our high water mark for offensive output was 40th in the country, and we finished 58th this past season. Whether we want to blame that on the system or the players is a long debate, but it was as clear as day to me that our current version of the air raid needed something different, and all I can do is hope the next OC finds the right twist to get our offense into top 25 territory. Without that, we don’t have a prayer of ever getting past 8-9 wins in this conference

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We’ll see what happens but apparently the Kendal Briles rumors are picking up steam.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
Do we want him? I have absolutely no knowledge about him. Only Briles I have any point of reference for is Art and is isn't a good one.
He strikes me as someone out the the air raid system that adapts and works with what he has... probably prepers a throw-first QB but can adapt if he doesn't have one..

Probably not my first choice but, he's not a bad choice...

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I'm not worried about whether we run the Air Raid or not. I'm just glad that we have learned at Mississippi State we can do something other than hand to the full back three times in a row and punt. I know we've had success running the ball, but we have a lot more lean times than success.

I think you guys are worrying too much. Whoever the new guy coming in is, they're going to be running their own style of offense. He wants to run things based on his own philosophy. It may have roots in the air raid, but I don't envision us running anything exactly the same way we used to.
I hope we stay with a passing style offense similar to the air raid. Running the ball ad nauseum worked well when we played non conference foes but playing in the SEC West just means you will have a losing record. I'm thinking about 60% pass 40% run is about right. You need a good running game in situations where teams rush 3 and drop back. The OSU - UGA game proved that the only way to beat an outstanding defense is to pass the ball. Expecting to run the ball down Alabama or Georgia's defenses is suicide.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I don't want us to continue the Air Raid just in Honor of Leach, I just think it's the right approach for STATE and others who can't sign schit tons of 5 Star OL's and RB's every year. And yes, all systems need balance that requires D's to cover all aspects of the field and not being certain as to what the O's gonna call.

Reactions: wrapit

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I agree that we will not be able to replace Leach in terms of running the offense. I also agree we should be looking for an OC that runs a more modern version of the Air Raid incorporating more run concepts and different pass concepts.

What I do not understand is the folks that say we should abandon the AR. Why? If we go back to power run we all know what that gets us. What is dumb is thinking we should go back to a power run first team just to say we did it in some old school kind of football way.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Our offense wasn't good, so I'm happy for the change. I'll miss Leach's sound bites and the cool stuff.

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012

this is EXACTLY what im nervous about.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
This D kept us in a lot of games, but let's not confuse it with the 2018 D. They have been good, not great. We have had better defenses many times in the past. We have also had much worse offenses in the past. Not saying this one was good but I have seen us ranking closer to 100 as opposed to 43 or whatever we are now

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Even the state writers have started hating on the pure air raid which means that more than likely the administration and new head coach is not a fan of it.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
However, finding someone who runs an offense that has roots in Air Raid and can take advantage of the personnel is perfectly reasonable. Everyone nowadays runs some adaptation of it.
Exactly where am I NOT saying that? I said in both post it would be beneficial to get someone with some air raid. But if there is some RPO and any QB running plays, Will Rogers will not be QB1 or at least have a good chance of losing that spot.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Exactly where am I NOT saying that? I said in both post it would be beneficial to get someone with some air raid. But if there is some RPO and any QB running plays, Will Rogers will not be QB1 or at least have a good chance of losing that spot.
The “however” was counter to the number of times you used the word “unique” but I had no idea it was that insulting.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I just don't know how the Message Board BeliSabans keep thinking Cam Newton or Patrick Maholmes is easy to find.
Oh yeah, this is the worst thing about our fanbase. "We NeEd A qB wHo CaN rUnZ!!11

Well sure.....if he can also throw. If he can't, then at maximum, our offense is 2017/2018.

This is assuming we actually want to throw the ball. I don't particularly have a problem with our 2017 offense. It's just all about what we want to do. But if we're running a modified Air Raid, hell we still need a QB who is accurate.

Like you said, there simply aren't many Dak Prescotts out there.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
My guess is that Arnett wants a more ball control coordinator. It seemed Leach's air raid was conducive to quick series and put a strain on the defense. I'm sure whoever the coordinator he brings in will adapt the offense to fit Will's skill set (i.e. no QB runs), but will move quickly to a more mobile QB system. That is the norm in both college and NFL today. Even the pocket passer QB has to be able to move.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login