To those who say our lack of attendance/interest is not a MSU problem..

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I quickly skimmed the article and it mostly talks about TV numbers and how talent is being spread out. Outside of them saying "packed out stadiums" - there were no numbers as far as attendance.

We have averaged 51k for our first two games. I bet there was 40K in attendance. Maybe 35. The east side is rather desolate.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
There is nothing in the article about attendance other than the guy just saying “stadiums are packed”

Reactions: paindonthurt

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
TV product has gotten better, attendance has gotten worse. Duh, we knew this.

Wetzel never referenced attendance, except for his flawed subject assumption.

Soooo no, it’s not an MSU problem. Though, if we ever want to close the gap, we need better attendance. Attendance is closely correlated with performance. Mullen knew this.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Did the OP actually read the article he posted?
John Candy No GIF by Laff

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
It's easy to point to TV numbers a primetime game between 2 name brand top 15 schools and another that's the current flavor of the week and say interest is high. But just saying "packed stadiums" without any evidence is fluff.

It IS an MSU problem, but it's not exclusively an MSU problem.

Rural schools like State are probably going to struggle with this for the foreseeable future. It's a lot more enticing for people to get off their couch and go when it's a day trip. But there are too many of us alum who moved to Texas/Nashville/Atlanta/etc... that see a 5+ hour drive there and back (or a flight to Jackson/Memphis and a 2+ hour drive) plus hotel plus food, and it quickly becomes easier to just stay on the couch. Making the stadium as fun and as comfortable as possible (with projects like the Balconies and spreading out/ chair-backing the grandstands) should be top priority.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I quickly skimmed the article and it mostly talks about TV numbers and how talent is being spread out. Outside of them saying "packed out stadiums" - there were no numbers as far as attendance.

We have averaged 51k for our first two games. I bet there was 40K in attendance. Maybe 35. The east side is rather desolate.
Tickets have been cheap too

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I feel like posting a Wetzel article without reading it yourself might be a hanging offense here in Deadwood.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
good seats (not in the upper deck) for the high school educated factory worker who has a family pays dividends in the future with generational fans.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's easy to point to TV numbers a primetime game between 2 name brand top 15 schools and another that's the current flavor of the week and say interest is high. But just saying "packed stadiums" without any evidence is fluff.

It IS an MSU problem, but it's not exclusively an MSU problem.

Rural schools like State are probably going to struggle with this for the foreseeable future. It's a lot more enticing for people to get off their couch and go when it's a day trip. But there are too many of us alum who moved to Texas/Nashville/Atlanta/etc... that see a 5+ hour drive there and back (or a flight to Jackson/Memphis and a 2+ hour drive) plus hotel plus food, and it quickly becomes easier to just stay on the couch. Making the stadium as fun and as comfortable as possible (with projects like the Balconies and spreading out/ chair-backing the grandstands) should be top priority.
Yup. It's the same problem everybody is seeing, but the impact to schools in and near significant population centers isn't nearly as big. They just have to deal with the tradeoffs between price and attendance. We have a challenge just getting people to the stands with any reasonable ticket costs because it's a much bigger commitment for most of our fans to come to a game. Even Ole Miss has a slight advantage over us by being closer to Memphis, particularly with Memphis not having a traditional P5 football school any closer.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
On a related note..... I saw a guy at the golf course yesterday. He had a Memphis Tigers bag, head covers, polo shirt, and hat. He wanted to talk football to anyone willing to listen. I asked if he was going to the game, "nah, I'll just watch on tv."

so what's the deal? Well, he knows Memphis is small time football. We know who the real conferences are, who has a chance to win big and who doesn't. Combine all that with the option of tv, you will have poor crowds.

Memphis two home games..... 26k and 25k last night. ...and the local media thinks they will win their conference.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Bidenomics certainly plays a role in failing attendance. A lot of middle class fans who would normally go are getting crushed economically.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Bidenomics certainly plays a role in failing attendance. A lot of middle class fans who would normally go are getting crushed economically.
Yep. Btw, &elmonomics tacked on a $5 "fee" for parking passes this week. I enter all the information in my phone... nobody helps me.... $5 fee that wasn't there before.

Thanks buddy.

Reactions: blitz2Win

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
This team we just played had 7 four stars athletes in the front seven. Six of them came out of the portal. The other was already on the team. You can quickly improve with a little NIL and the Portal.

Reactions: Maroon13
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login