Today's WSJ - Article about Auburn and Spending

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I’m laughing at the part of your post where I’ve highlighted in Green because you say there are too many engineers yet you’ve said in another post later this afternoon that you’ve had much difficulty communicating with another engineer (I realize he might be in another department but still)…

The part I’ve highlighted in Orange I’m laughing because you automatically assume the extra money shouldn’t be spent — but those of us who have had much more experience in state agencies know that purchasing deadlines are often MONTHS earlier than the end of the fiscal year in order for materials and supplies to arrive before that time because they have to be on hand during the FY.

It makes me think that you lack understanding when it comes to agency purchasing procedures…

If you were in such an agency and tried doing what you suggest, that agency would have less materials and supplies needed to do its job and you would be transferred to something nondescript with no authority.

Agency procurement: Where the snail pulls the turtle.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I just want to know if you have an issue with a 'liberal arts' degree because it has the word liberal in it. Dead serious, I suspect a lot of people who emotionally rant about the lack of value of a college degree and cite 'liberal arts' as proof are really just angry that the word liberal is in that degree.
It's the only thing I can think of for why you would call out those degrees as not worthy of public funding.
...and yet, people with LA degrees are productive members of society and business in a wide range of fields. Well that doesn't help your narrative!
If you don’t understand why people have a problem with liberal arts degrees, you haven’t been paying attention. It’s mainly that higher education in many cases has become a cess pool. Look at all the hamas supporters in colleges right now.
Hard science degrees are going the same way but they are somewhat constrained by the students needing to be able to do work with objective answers. You can have classes that teach that math is racist, but the job market for people with math, physics, engineering, accounting, etc degrees that can’t actually do the work is limited. Certainly not nonexistent, but the schools have some incentive to make sure their graduates have basic competency. that incentive is largely missing for liberal arts degree programs.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m laughing at the part of your post where I’ve highlighted in Green because you say there are too many engineers yet you’ve said in another post later this afternoon that you’ve had much difficulty communicating with another engineer (I realize he might be in another department but still)…

The part I’ve highlighted in Orange I’m laughing because you automatically assume the extra money shouldn’t be spent — but those of us who have had much more experience in state agencies know that purchasing deadlines are often MONTHS earlier than the end of the fiscal year in order for materials and supplies to arrive before that time because they have to be on hand during the FY.

It makes me think that you lack understanding when it comes to agency purchasing procedures…

If you were in such an agency and tried doing what you suggest, that agency would have less materials and supplies needed to do its job and you would be transferred to something nondescript with no authority.
I didn’t say anything about communicating with another engineer that I recall. I did say that sometimes I didn’t communicate my thoughts well.

But that doesn’t mean you need more engineers if that’s what you are implying. And I used engineers as a simple example. I worked in a department that could have easily been reduced by 25% and there still wouldn’t have been 40 hrs of work to do each week.

I literally played video games for 12 to 15 hrs a week and took 2 hr lunch breaks (called it 1 hr) and had all my work done early all of the time and still had a hard time being there 40 hrs a week. It was like that in most all departments. Probably all. It was a fact not an opinion.

You are over complicating the budget thing. It’s really simple. There is zero incentive to save money in government agencies. None. Zero.

More examples that you’ll take out of context and probably not understand.

restaurant doing $2 million in sales
Generally speaking will make 15 to 25% to the bottom line.
Really good management will do closer to 25%. Weaker management will do 15%. Bad management will do less.
Stronger managers find a way to make more money while growing sales and controlling cost and quality.

they then take some of the saved money and use it to make the job or growing revenue and maintaining costs easier.

same with manufacturing.
Same with retail
Same all over the world
Those CONCEPTS could easily be applied to many government agencies.

BUT THERE IS NO INCENTIVE TO DO SO.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You have a myopic view of organizations and markets. There are 3 basic ingredients of which you can choose only 2: Speed, Cost, Quality

High Speed + High Quality = High Cost

So your argument is for more taxes, correct?

(Edited for my bad gammar)
This is fundamentally flawed on so many levels.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I didn’t say anything about communicating with another engineer that I recall. I did say that sometimes I didn’t communicate my thoughts well.
Um. You did right here:

I’ve been bird dogging the state engineer for about 6 weeks. 1 call 1 email and 1 text a week and haven’t heard one word from him. My engineer has done the same but more and even wrote snail mail letters.

Also…

I literally played video games for 12 to 15 hrs a week and took 2 hr lunch breaks (called it 1 hr) and had all my work done early all of the time and still had a hard time being there 40 hrs a week. It was like that in most all departments. Probably all. It was a fact not an opinion.

You are over complicating the budget thing. It’s really simple. There is zero incentive to save money in government agencies. None. Zero.

Question regarding the part I’ve highlighted in Orange:

Did you attempt to volunteer for any projects during this time?

Question regarding the second part of what I’ve quoted:

Do you have awareness and understanding of state agency purchasing and procurement procedures?

If you really want to be the reformer you say you are, you need trust and buy-in from the inside.

You said that you were with an agency for only a year. The Agency veterans probably thought you were a bright kid who needed seasoning before being trusted with more responsibility.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Um. You did right here:
You think he’s not getting back to me bc he’s busy?

hahahaha that’s cute.

The thing I’m applying for has an admin project manager and a project engineer.

I’ve talked to the admin guy probably 3 times a week. Very responsive. I assure you the engineer isn’t that busy and that comes from the admin guy who pushed it up a level to get it moving some.

Also…

Question regarding the part I’ve highlighted in Orange:

Did you attempt to volunteer for any projects during this time?

Question regarding the second part of what I’ve quoted:

Do you have awareness and understanding of state agency purchasing and procurement procedures?

If you really want to be the reformer you say you are, you need trust and buy-in from the inside.

You said that you were with an agency for only a year. The Agency veterans probably thought you were a bright kid who needed seasoning before being trusted with more responsibility.
The entire department I worked with was the same way.

My boss who was close to retirement had left when he was younger to work with a private engineering firm. He and his wife both left. She was with a different department. They came back after a year bc they wanted to raise a family and make less money but have more vacation and less stress.

He encouraged me to leave if I wanted to move up and make more money. His basic quote was you are too motivated to work for the government. You’ll never move up until you’ve been here 20 years bc they only promote based on seniority. He was a good boss and gave me great advice. I probably make more than his boss’ boss’ boss now and I’m not that big of a deal.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You think he’s not getting back to me bc he’s busy?

hahahaha that’s cute.

The thing I’m applying for has an admin project manager and a project engineer.

I’ve talked to the admin guy probably 3 times a week. Very responsive. I assure you the engineer isn’t that busy and that comes from the admin guy who pushed it up a level to get it moving some.
Since you’ve said you’ve been doing this for the past six weeks, my thought is you’re a low priority/your application is complex it’ll take time.

The entire department I worked with was the same way.

My boss who was close to retirement had left when he was younger to work with a private engineering firm. He and his wife both left. She was with a different department. They came back after a year bc they wanted to raise a family and make less money but have more vacation and less stress.

He encouraged me to leave if I wanted to move up and make more money. His basic quote was you are too motivated to work for the government. You’ll never move up until you’ve been here 20 years bc they only promote based on seniority. He was a good boss and gave me great advice. I probably make more than his boss’ boss’ boss now and I’m not that big of a deal.
There you go.

The boss thought you were a bright kid who could do something.

Good for you. 🙂

Of course that also means that you don’t really have enough experience with state agency purchasing and procurement procedures.

You don’t like how it works but…

Sometimes it be like that.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Since you’ve said you’ve been doing this for the past six weeks, my thought is you’re a low priority/your application is complex it’ll take time.
Yeah you missed the part about the admin PM didn’t you. By the way the admin PM has been doing it for 30 plus years. Said it should’ve taken about 2 weeks.

There you go.

The boss thought you were a bright kid who could do something.

Good for you. 🙂

Of course that also means that you don’t really have enough experience with state agency purchasing and procurement procedures.

You don’t like how it works but…

Sometimes it be like that.
No I absolutely don’t like the ineffectiveness of how it works.

you bring up another great point
Not only is there no incentive to save money there’s also tons of bureaucratic red tape that is even more complicated due to employees who face zero consequences.

We can do this all night if you want. I’m bored.

But I’ve worked for the government.
With the government
And no plenty of people who work or worked for the government

It’s an absolute joke.
I don’t mean all people who work for the government are bad.
BUT ITS A FACT. The system is broken.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah you missed the part about the admin PM didn’t you. By the way the admin PM has been doing it for 30 plus years. Said it should’ve taken about 2 weeks.

I read it. You’re able to contact one person but not the sole authority with power to approve.

And for whatever reason, you’re currently a low priority.

It be like that sometimes.

No I absolutely don’t like the ineffectiveness of how it works.

you bring up another great point
Not only is there no incentive to save money there’s also tons of bureaucratic red tape that is even more complicated due to employees who face zero consequences.

We can do this all night if you want. I’m bored.

But I’ve worked for the government.
With the government
And no plenty of people who work or worked for the government

It’s an absolute joke.
I don’t mean all people who work for the government are bad.
BUT ITS A FACT. The system is broken.
Eh. I don’t know if it’s that the system is broken.

It’s generational & economic change which means more people want to be able to do different things or work differently.

I’ll admit that there are people in state agencies who I’ve worked with who really could have been more flexible and be team players— but didn’t want to do it.

With some folks, it’s their personality. They may only be comfortable doing what they do and do not like to branch out.

Others may think they are entitled to some perks that they’ve not earned and think they should quit.

Others don’t like to or want to be proactive.

And this of course isn’t limited to the public sector. Private entities can be the same way.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I read it. You’re able to contact one person but not the sole authority with power to approve.

And for whatever reason, you’re currently a low priority.

It be like that sometimes.
I’m low priority bc he has no priority and faces zero consequences. Therefore no motivation.
Eh. I don’t know if it’s that the system is broken.

It’s generational & economic change which means more people want to be able to do different things or work differently.

I’ll admit that there are people in state agencies who I’ve worked with who really could have been more flexible and be team players— but didn’t want to do it.

With some folks, it’s their personality. They may only be comfortable doing what they do and do not like to branch out.

Others may think they are entitled to some perks that they’ve not earned and think they should quit.

Others don’t like to or want to be proactive.

And this of course isn’t limited to the public sector. Private entities can be the same way.
In you long and illustrious career with the government, how many people have been fired?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
In you long and illustrious career with the government, how many people have been fired?

Not counting athletic department personnel (otherwise we both could think of a lot of people), the number of people I know who were fired or asked to resign was in the high single digits and a few more folks whose contracts weren’t renewed (and I’m also not counting people I know who taught classes as adjunct instructors).

So 25 or so that I have knowledge of in different agencies and that number is certainly significantly higher than that considering that this is all off the top of my head.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Very well — then name products or services that have both high quality and high speed at low or no cost.
The goal is to increase throughput while maintaining safety and quality. Increased throughput is lower cost.

How do you do that? Good systems. Then make those systems better.

For instance (example only so please dear god try not to get hung up on jt).

let’s say you are making pizzas
You can make 100 pizzas an hr at good quality and it takes 4 employees making $12/hr to do that.
$12/pizza times 2 hrs (11:00 am to 1 pm) is $2400
$12 x 100 pizzas x 2 hrs
$2400 in revenue
$288 labor (4 x $12 x 6 hrs for a full shift)
12% labor

you add a 5th employee
You can make 140 pizzas an hr bc the 5th person is only prepping dough to be ready for pizzas being made but you can only sell 110 an hr bc of demand

you buy a machine that can press dough faster than the 4th person can so you don’t need a 5th to get to 110 pizzas an hr

The machine makes good quality dough
Now you can actually use that 4th person to do other things bc they can make dough a lot faster and have more time on their hands

INCREASED SPEED
SAME PRICE (you could actually decrease the price of the pizza and still increase revenue and might could even increase it more bc you might attract more customers)
SAME QUALITY

Here’s another example with pizzas but with COGS

you pre portion toppings
Cost a little more labor up front but it speeds up making pizzas and gets you better COGS
Quality goes up bc your pizzas are more consistent

Should I keep going?

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Does 'Ag' at MSU include seed biology, engineering, gene editing, etc?
If it does, then yeah Ag attracts elite talent.

The biology and chemistry done at Stine Seed, Croplan, Bayer don't call it Monsanto, and more is 17ing amazing stuff.
For a pinko commie, I’m going to have to reevaluate what I think of you. We’re on the same page.

And you of all people should be on my side in this argument. That research used to be done by the land grant universities free to the people. Since 94, then Monsanto now Bayer, bought the rights to it hook line and sinker aided and abetted by our federal government.

Love or hate the sob, Trump stands out to me as one of the only guys that might fix that ****.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The goal is to increase throughput while maintaining safety and quality. Increased throughput is lower cost.

You can make 100 pizzas an hr at good quality and it takes 4 employees making $12/hr to do that.
$12 x 100 pizzas x 2 hrs
$2400 in revenue
12% labor

you add a 5th employee
You can make 140 pizzas an hr bc the 5th person is only prepping dough to be ready for pizzas being made but you can only sell 110 an hr bc of demand

you buy a machine that can press dough faster than the 4th person can so you don’t need a 5th to get to 110 pizzas an hr

Now you can actually use that 4th person to do other things bc they can make dough a lot faster and have more time on their hands

INCREASED SPEED
SAME PRICE (you could actually decrease the price of the pizza and still increase revenue and might could even increase it more bc you might attract more customers)
SAME QUALITY

you pre portion toppings
Cost a little more labor up front but it speeds up making pizzas and gets you better COGS

Should I keep going?

I’m SO looking forward to @Mr. Cook ’s reply.

There is a reason he named himself after a fast food chain…

😂😂😂

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

$12 x 100 pizzas x 2 hrs
$2400 in revenue
12% labor

you add a 5th employee

INCREASED SPEED
SAME QUALITY

you pre portion toppings

Should I keep going?

Flawed on so many levels. You make assumptions which harpoon your own arguments, consistently contradict your previous statements

$12 x 100 pizzas x 2 hrs
$2400 in revenue
12% labor

you add a 5th employee

INCREASED SPEED
SAME QUALITY

you pre portion toppings

Should I keep going?
To borrow your vernacular: "This is fundamentally flawed on so many levels."

How do you make good systems? Investment in people, programs, and infrastructure (read: higher cost)

In your example, you've raised cost (initial capital investment) to gain speed. I won't go into cost of equipment ownership and down time for maintenance nor the labor dollars that need to be re-allocated to accommodate this. Thanks for proving my point.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

But that doesn’t mean you need more engineers if that’s what you are implying. And I used engineers as a simple example. I worked in a department that could have easily been reduced by 25% and there still wouldn’t have been 40 hrs of work to do each week.

restaurant doing $2 million in sales
Generally speaking will make 15 to 25% to the bottom line.
Really good management will do closer to 25%. Weaker management will do 15%. Bad management will do less.
Stronger managers find a way to make more money while growing sales and controlling cost and quality.

they then take some of the saved money and use it to make the job or growing revenue and maintaining costs easier.

same with manufacturing.
Same with retail
Same all over the world
Those CONCEPTS could easily be applied to many government agencies.

It is interesting that you worry about a state contract with a marginally funded state agency (public tax dollars) instead of pursuing private dollars that would likely be more lucrative. Why is that?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

$12 x 100 pizzas x 2 hrs
$2400 in revenue
12% labor

you add a 5th employee

INCREASED SPEED
SAME QUALITY

you pre portion toppings

Should I keep going?
Remember when your posts in this thread were outrage over how state taxes shouldn't go towards public college education unless they attend that college, and then showed you don't understand how taxes help fund things people may not use, but society benefits from?

Those initial positions of yours were so absurd that you changed to generalized ranting over government waste and spending, only to eventually make it to where we are now reading some detailed hypothetical that apparently disproves the long held 'pick 2' viewpoint of product design and sales.

17ing bonkers.

On a related note, the 'pick 2' thing is a really common way to show what should be expected of a product.
'Cheap, light, durable. Pick 2.'
'Good, fast, cheap. Pick 2.'
Best of luck continuing to argue against an established and proven saying.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

$12 x 100 pizzas x 2 hrs
$2400 in revenue
12% labor

you add a 5th employee

INCREASED SPEED
SAME QUALITY

you pre portion toppings

Should I keep going?
Sounds like you should be making pizzas. Which is fine, I’m sure you’re a fine small businessman.

But you don’t know a whole lot about capital projects and programs funded by the government. There are checks, balances and LAW that must be enforced and followed. Many government agencies are funded by the system in which they operate, and don’t affect you, the mUrRiCaN muh tax payer.

But some are, like a lot of NEPA. Many don’t feel it’s needed because screw the environment, right? And certainly, there are bad managers and employees and find easy jobs. But generally these people are not the engine of what so many call government waste.

I get that this runs contrary to Facebook hot-takery. Not every entity needs to be run by a simple factory process. There’s innovation that is at stake, humans actually thinking rather than being treated as robots (or pizza makers).

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
For a pinko commie, I’m going to have to reevaluate what I think of you. We’re on the same page.

And you of all people should be on my side in this argument. That research used to be done by the land grant universities free to the people. Since 94, then Monsanto now Bayer, bought the rights to it hook line and sinker aided and abetted by our federal government.

Love or hate the sob, Trump stands out to me as one of the only guys that might fix that ****.

Thanks for the compliment...maybe?
I agree it is frustrating for research to be conducted by and discoveries made by public universities, that then go to a private company for patenting/registration to limit access and create profit.

Not sure why Trump is the one person to fix this though as I doubt it's on his radar even. And if it is on his radar, it would be a 180 from what I have seen/heard from him in the past.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Flawed on so many levels. You make assumptions which harpoon your own arguments, consistently contradict your previous statements

To borrow your vernacular: "This is fundamentally flawed on so many levels."

How do you make good systems? Investment in people, programs, and infrastructure (read: higher cost)

In your example, you've raised cost (initial capital investment) to gain speed. I won't go into cost of equipment ownership and down time for maintenance nor the labor dollars that need to be re-allocated to accommodate this. Thanks for proving my point.
Well lucky enough for me I’ve lived this in real life in restaurants and manufacturing and have proven it to work over and over again. And not just me. I’ve watched other do it and learned from them.

Higher cost today but giving you lower cost for a year or 2 years is still LOWER COST.

If my budget was $1.5 million and a $15,000 investment got my budget to $1.483 then my cost went down not up.

you know? Roi? I spent $15,000 on equipment but saved $17,500 in labor. Also get tax benefits in the equipment depreciation.

You can absolutely invest money into systems and save money over the long run. If you can’t understand that this convo is over bc you aren’t very smart.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Remember when your posts in this thread were outrage over how state taxes shouldn't go towards public college education unless they attend that college, and then showed you don't understand how taxes help fund things people may not use, but society benefits from?

Those initial positions of yours were so absurd that you changed to generalized ranting over government waste and spending, only to eventually make it to where we are now reading some detailed hypothetical that apparently disproves the long held 'pick 2' viewpoint of product design and sales.

17ing bonkers.

On a related note, the 'pick 2' thing is a really common way to show what should be expected of a product.
'Cheap, light, durable. Pick 2.'
'Good, fast, cheap. Pick 2.'
Best of luck continuing to argue against an established and proven saying.
No I didn’t but you refuse to try and see that several things can be true at once.

like normal you pick the few things that fit your argument and focus on those.

FACT: there is a ton of over spending in government. That isn’t debatable intelligently.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Sounds like you should be making pizzas. Which is fine, I’m sure you’re a fine small businessman.

But you don’t know a whole lot about capital projects and programs funded by the government. There are checks, balances and LAW that must be enforced and followed. Many government agencies are funded by the system in which they operate, and don’t affect you, the mUrRiCaN muh tax payer.

But some are, like a lot of NEPA. Many don’t feel it’s needed because screw the environment, right? And certainly, there are bad managers and employees and find easy jobs. But generally these people are not the engine of what so many call government waste.

I get that this runs contrary to Facebook hot-takery. Not every entity needs to be run by a simple factory process. There’s innovation that is at stake, humans actually thinking rather than being treated as robots (or pizza makers).
In 2022 I managed 2 capital projects totaling over $65 million.

One was over $50 million euros in Hungary.

I’m confident I know more than you in almost every subject we discuss.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Well lucky enough for me I’ve lived this in real life in restaurants and manufacturing and have proven it to work over and over again. And not just me. I’ve watched other do it and learned from them.

Higher cost today but giving you lower cost for a year or 2 years is still LOWER COST.

If my budget was $1.5 million and a $15,000 investment got my budget to $1.483 then my cost went down not up.

you know? Roi? I spent $15,000 on equipment but saved $17,500 in labor. Also get tax benefits in the equipment depreciation.

You can absolutely invest money into systems and save money over the long run. If you can’t understand that this convo is over bc you aren’t very smart.
You continue to disappoint. Rather than intelligently debate, you display your insecurities by devolving into ad hominem attacks and condescension. You have no respect for others and argue from an emotional and narcissistic POV.

Good luck with your economics. Hope my taxes don't go to support your future state and federal bailouts.

You're dismissed

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You continue to disappoint. Rather than intelligently debate, you display your insecurities by devolving into ad hominem attacks and condescension. You have no respect for others and argue from an emotional and narcissistic POV.

Good luck with your economics. Hope my taxes don't go to support your future state and federal bailouts.

You're dismissed
A little bit of a shocker here because I know you’ve enjoyed and agreed with a lot of PDH’s commentary in the past

I know you’re glad you no longer have to deal with BS artists from Mississippi who think they know everything but don’t…

Oh. PDH— 50 million didn’t even make a good renovation of the Hump.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

You're dismissed
Really? You’ve failed to use any logic or math to refute my points.

you may be a good cook but I wouldn’t want you balancing my pocket change budget. Don’t worry there are people who can help you with that.

You just prep the food and make us wanna come back for more!

That’s important too!

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
A little bit of a shocker here because I know you’ve enjoyed and agreed with a lot of PDH’s commentary in the past

I know you’re glad you no longer have to deal with BS artists from Mississippi who think they know everything but don’t…

Oh. PDH— 50 million didn’t even make a good renovation of the Hump.
That’s bc it was ran by a state organization. Thanks for playing.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Really? You’ve failed to use any logic or math to refute my points.

you may be a good cook but I wouldn’t want you balancing my pocket change budget. Don’t worry there are people who can help you with that.

You just prep the food and make us wanna come back for more!

That’s important too!

You should know, pizza boy

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
seems reasonable? Wouldn't that depend on the cost of the dorms? Its student housing and not luxury living.

Angry Suttle Hall refugee. Probably got pennied in his room many times and still has PTSD

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login