Toledo game attendance

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
There’s been endless melt on here this week regarding our defense, NIL, fear of conference relegation, etc. We are at the beginning of a rebuild that may take more time than we’d like. What will make it more challenging for this staff in terms of recruiting and getting our program in a better place is a half empty stadium.

This has been an issue since COVID and for some reason it triggers people on here when you bring up our lack of gameday support. I brought it up during Leach tenure as well. Not sure what the answer is, but it should be good weather Saturday night and you can basically walk in the stadium for free.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
There’s been endless melt on here this week regarding our defense, NIL, fear of conference relegation, etc. We are at the beginning of a rebuild that may take more time than we’d like. What will make it more challenging for this staff in terms of recruiting and getting our program in a better place is a half empty stadium.

This has been an issue since COVID and for some reason it triggers people on here when you bring up our lack of gameday support. I brought it up during Leach tenure as well. Not sure what the answer is, but it should be good weather Saturday night and you can basically walk in the stadium for free.
I'm still in the camp of re-seating, removing knee-back-knee-back on all GA rows in favor of fewer seats with more room and I'm in for season tickets. Based on level of busy on any particular Saturday, I may/may not attend all of them but I would for sure buy the tickets. Not really solving your attendance issue here, I realize...

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Got scoreboard club season tickets and this is the first year I am telling my wife we really need to find a reason to go. I will be at the SEC games, but after last week it has been a hard sell for me to think about if I really want to go Saturday or not. Load up the family with toddler along for the ride to see us possibly take an L to Toledo. Yikes.

Reactions: Howiefeltersnstch

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I'm still in the camp of re-seating, removing knee-back-knee-back on all GA rows in favor of fewer seats with more room and I'm in for season tickets. Based on level of busy on any particular Saturday, I may/may not attend all of them but I would for sure buy the tickets. Not really solving your attendance issue here, I realize...
I get it. I have little kids so it makes it a challenge for me to get there too. I typically can make it work. I just don’t understand the fans that constantly complain that live within a couple hours of Starkville and never attend a game.

If our fear is NIL & conference relegation then the one thing we can control is making DWS a tough place to play and showing support.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We had a kid in 2022 and it’s made it much harder for us to go. Will be there Saturday but it may be the only game I’m at this year.

I went to at least 4-5 games every year for 15 to 20 years. The last two years it’s been more like 1-3 games a year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Got scoreboard club season tickets and this is the first year I am telling my wife we really need to find a reason to go. I will be at the SEC games, but after last week it has been a hard sell for me to think about if I really want to go Saturday or not. Load up the family with toddler along for the ride to see us possibly take an L to Toledo. Yikes.
If you want to see a win, you better go to the OOC games and maybe skip some SEC games.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We are at the beginning of a rebuild that may take more time than we’d like.
You keep saying this, but fail to acknowledge that Lebby ran off a ton of existing players and brought in a ton of new ones. If he hadn't done that, I might be a little more lenient.

And it doesn't matter if you or anything else thinks the existing players sucked, because we will never know. All we know is that the current ones do.

Lebby is an offensive coach, so stands to reason he'd bring in some guys to help with the tweaks of the offense, like Shapen and Coleman. But not wholesale changes of personnel. That takes away your ability to call it a rebuild.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You keep saying this, but fail to acknowledge that Lebby ran off a ton of existing players and brought in a ton of new ones. If he hadn't done that, I might be a little more lenient.

And it doesn't matter if you or anything else thinks the existing players sucked, because we will never know. All we know is that the current ones do.

Lebby is an offensive coach, so stands to reason he'd bring in some guys to help with the tweaks of the offense, like Shapen and Coleman. But not wholesale changes of personnel. That takes away your ability to call it a rebuild.
A coach getting his own personnel in place isn't part of a rebuild?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I am going and if you cannot get your lazy rears up to support our guys and enjoy the day then I am cutting you off forever until next week

Reactions: dawgstudent

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I live in Starkville most of the time. I buy season tickets. I tailgate every game, but I don't go in to games. I have just totally 100% lost interest in going into a stadium to sit on hot/cold hard aluminum bleachers to watch a bunch of paid free agents that will either be gone next year or looking for a better deal at least. I give my tickets to the kids and grands when they come if they want them, or friends if they need them. I sit outside w/ friends, cook on the Blackstone or grill, drink my own 16 oz beers ($1.12 ea) instead of $9.99 ea inside. My fresh cooked food out there runs circles around the pre-prepared stuff in the stadium. I sit in a comfortable camp chair watching a big screen tv in front of a couple fans. Why would I go inside?

Last edited:

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
If you want to see a win, you better go to the OOC games and maybe skip some SEC games.
I do not care about if we win or not I just want to see the boys play honestly. My dad started taking me to home games the year after I was born in 1986, and I started taking my own daughter the year after she was born last year. So for me it is about a tradition that keeps a part of my dad alive so that my little one can be closer to her grandpa that is no longer with us. It also makes me feel like I am close to my dad when I am there so I could care less about winning or losing. Why I say it might be a hard haul this weekend is just its an OCC opponent that I do not know that much about, and it might just be easier to sit this one out. As mentioned in the previous post I will be at the SEC games win, lose, or draw.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Sure it is. That's why we or Lebby cannot pass the blame, and I'm not feeling sorry for him. Did you not catch that, as the whole point of my post?
I did not. He certainly cannot pass the blame. He's in charge. I've not seen him trying to do so, but I could've just missed it...

patdog

May 28, 2007
I do not care about if we win or not I just want to see the boys play honestly. My dad started taking me to home games the year after I was born in 1986, and I started taking my own daughter the year after she was born last year. So for me it is about a tradition that keeps a part of my dad alive so that my little one can be closer to her grandpa that is no longer with us. It also makes me feel like I am close to my dad when I am there so I could care less about winning or losing. Why I say it might be a hard haul this weekend is just it’s an OCC opponent that I do not know that much about, and it might just be easier to sit this one out. As mentioned in the previous post I will be at the SEC games win, lose, or draw.
That is a mentality most of our fans have that is just completely foreign to me. I 17int hate to watch us lose. Especially when I see the other teams fans enjoying a win on our campus. Usually the sweet spot for me is the toughest OOC game or the easiest SEC game.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Probably be a similar crowd as game one and a somewhat similar score. Toledo isn't very good this year.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Just enjoy the improvement and development of players. You'll see it if you look for it. That's worth watching and supporting. Maybe we will see a few W's as well.

Like it or not, college football is officially the NFL D League

Reactions: Ranchdawg

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Just enjoy the improvement and development of players. You'll see it if you look for it. That's worth watching and supporting. Maybe we will see a few W's as well.

Like it or not, college football is officially the NFL D League
It seems like ultimately corporate donors and ultra wealthy individuals are going to finance rosters for schools. As such wont they eventually have more clout than the head coach and maybe even the athletic director since they are paying the salaries for the entire roster ? Strange times. That’s the definition of a minor league professional franchise.

if you do the numbers middle class fans donating 100 bucks might as a group buy half of a reserve lineman. Just a Drop in the bucket.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
A username, that melts about the University logo, melts about melting. 😂

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It seems like ultimately corporate donors and ultra wealthy individuals are going to finance rosters for schools. As such wont they eventually have more clout than the head coach and maybe even the athletic director since they are paying the salaries for the entire roster ? Strange times. That’s the definition of a minor league professional franchise.

if you do the numbers middle class fans donating 100 bucks might as a group buy half of a reserve lineman. Just a Drop in the bucket.

After reading this weeks threads on the subject I'm wondering who's going to be sitting in the stands to watch these paid rosters? And if nobody is in the stands, is it worth the investments for corporate donors? I think its going to come down to tv revenues keeping everything afloat because the present model will fail if they don't do something

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I live in Starkville most of the time. I buy season tickets. I tailgate every game, but I don't go in to games. I have just totally 100% lost interest in going into a stadium to sit on hot/cold hard aluminum bleachers to watch a bunch of paid free agents that will either be gone next year or looking for a better deal at least. I give my tickets to the kids and grands when they come if they want them, or friends if they need them. I sit outside w/ friends, cook on the Blackstone or grill, drink my own 16 oz beers ($1.12 ea) instead of $9.99 ea ones inside. My fresh cooked food out there runs circles around the pre-prepared stuff in the stadium. I sit in a comfortable camp chair watching a big screen tv in front of a couple fans. Why would I go inside?
👆👆

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I do not care about if we win or not I just want to see the boys play honestly. My dad started taking me to home games the year after I was born in 1986, and I started taking my own daughter the year after she was born last year. So for me it is about a tradition that keeps a part of my dad alive so that my little one can be closer to her grandpa that is no longer with us. It also makes me feel like I am close to my dad when I am there so I could care less about winning or losing. Why I say it might be a hard haul this weekend is just its an OCC opponent that I do not know that much about, and it might just be easier to sit this one out. As mentioned in the previous post I will be at the SEC games win, lose, or draw.
👆👆

Reactions: LADog

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
That is a mentality most of our fans have that is just completely foreign to me. I 17int hate to watch us lose. Especially when I see the other teams fans enjoying a win on our campus. Usually the sweet spot for me is the toughest OOC game or the easiest SEC game.
Sorry to disappoint but if all you think about is winning and losing, then it must have been very hard for you to be a State fan for say the last 100 years. For me it is bigger than just a football game, not saying that is right or wrong it is just different. I take joy in getting to see the pre game with my daughter just like my dad did with me. I take joy in walking through the tailgates for the same reason, and I also take joy in getting to see campus which brings back so many good memories. Honestly, if all you are there for is the winning and losing that is kind of sad to me. I guess it is a to each his own thing.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Here is another angle that old people will relate to ....

I did believe in showing up and giving to build a program. However I've seen enough years to know that isn't happening. Not to a level that competes for championships. Therefore my time and attendance is all about the hobby of it all. I'll be there Saturday just to visit the campus, my kid and friends.

However we have to win games like last weekend to expect any type of big crowd. Unfortunately that ship has sailed for the year after just one loss (assuming State doesn't make a run beating UF, Tx,UGA... then you'd have a crowd..). We Crapped the bed in Tempe.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Sorry to disappoint but if all you think about is winning and losing, then it must have been very hard for you to be a State fan for say the last 100 years.
The college football fan part of my life has mostly been just one huge disappointment. I don't know why I didn't pick some school like Alabama or even LSU to cheer for. But my dubmass had to pick Mississippi State. I mean I love it, but damn, a few more wins would be nice.

Reactions: Maroon13

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

3rd coach in 3 years and it’s not a rebuild?

Reactions: ezsoil

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The college football fan part of my life has mostly been just one huge disappointment. I don't know why I didn't pick some school like Alabama or even LSU to cheer for. But my dubmass had to pick Mississippi State.
I got invited to Tuscaloosa on Oct 12. Hope I get to go. I haven't been to a game there since Croom coached. In years past, I would not even consider that with us having a game that day..... but I think I already know the outcome of our game that day.

Reactions: patdog

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Who knew the devil had these feelings?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The college football fan part of my life has mostly been just one huge disappointment. I don't know why I didn't pick some school like Alabama or even LSU to cheer for. But my dubmass had to pick Mississippi State. I mean I love it, but damn, a few more wins would be nice.
Because of Mississippi state, you are probably so much more mentally tough than an Alabama or LSU fan

• Haha
Reactions: DerHntr and patdog

TheMSU15

Oct 1, 2023
I got invited to Tuscaloosa on Oct 12. Hope I get to go. I haven't been to a game there since Croom coached. In years past, I would not even consider that with us having a game that day..... but I think I already know the outcome of our game that day.
Yea I'll be in Baton Rouge when State when plays Georgia

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
The Devil is more complex than you think.
Disgusted Walker Texas Ranger GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Reactions: leeinator

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I am sorry to say this but with the Portal every year is a rebuild year. It is going to be hit and miss every season. He better learn how to put a team together like a GM. If he misses too many years he be gone. But then again, we got Selmon, and he probably will keep him around a little too long if he can't get it together. He gets a pass this season, but he has to make a bowl game next year. There is no excuse with giving 105 scholarships, portal and NIL not to be able to win six games.

The old saying, "he has to have time to put his team together" or "he got to get his guys in" is just talk now. This is his team. These are his guys. He put it together.

A lot of things went wrong last week in Arizona and 90% of it was really bad game planning and bad offensive play. They still could have won the game. They probably should have won the game. Bad game planning and it shouldn't take an entire half to make the adjustments needed. So many other DC out there he could have hire but he hire a really inexperienced coach. That decision should have been the first sign he wasn't ready to be a Head Coach. I think he hired a friend. If so that is a bad mistake. That's a Croom mistake. Hopefully he's not as hard headed as Croom in firing him if he doesn't put it together.

Last edited:

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Just look for the blue tent with the grouchy old fart (me) telling everybody to get outta his space and offa his grass!
Well, there are a lot of blue tents. To help identify the correct one, will you be wearing one of these?
1726091175225.jpeg

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login