dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Tears Reaction GIF

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
this was the info they wanted to keep private until later this week

klong-dog

Aug 22, 2012
17ing 17, we finally have a much anticipated season only for our top player to go down for a long period. 17 this

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Well this sucks but we have games to play in a few weeks. I guess this means more minutes for Bell than anticipated and possibly Chol too if he is anywhere close to ready. I had heard Murphy was hurt too but not expected to be out long. Hopefully that's true as well becuase he might have just become more important as well.

Maybe MAYBE we can survive defensively with Bell/Murphy/Chol but offensively this is rough. Defenses had to respect Tolu's post game since he's a solid scorer. He drew a lot of doubles. Add in the fact that we were no threat from the perimeter, it was easy for smaller defenders to sag off and disrupt him with active hands around the ball. I don't imagine any of the other bigs will demand that kind of attention. So now we have to find offense in other ways - from transition, from the perimeter which may be more guarded than last year, from penetration, whatever.

Jans' job just got a lot harder. I hope he's the coach we think he is.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Well this sucks but we have games to play in a few weeks. I guess this means more minutes for Bell than anticipated and possibly Chol too if he is anywhere close to ready. I had heard Murphy was hurt too but not expected to be out long. Hopefully that's true as well becuase he might have just become more important as well.

Maybe MAYBE we can survive defensively with Bell/Murphy/Chol but offensively this is rough. Defenses had to respect Tolu's post game since he's a solid scorer. He drew a lot of doubles. Add in the fact that we were no threat from the perimeter, it was easy for smaller defenders to sag off and disrupt him with active hands around the ball. I don't imagine any of the other bigs will demand that kind of attention. So now we have to find offense in other ways - from transition, from the perimeter which may be more guarded than last year, from penetration, whatever.

I think all of that is correct and I agree with it. But if we can get through the first half of the season and see the improved outside shooting materialize that we've been hearing about in practice, we're going to be hell on wheels down the stretch if Tolu can come back healthy.
#positivepost

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
This sucks but we should still be better than most/all of our nonconference opponents. ASU was pretty good last year but had a lot of teams leave. Hopefully he's back early in SEC play, though, because our schedule starts off brutal.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
That sucks. Bad
I was just starting to get a lil excited about basketball.
I do like this logo with the what appears to be the hump after the recent hype video

IMG_1021.jpeg

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012

If I'm not mistaken, Murphy is out til January as well. Can anyone confirm this?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Now who is going to return kickoffs? ***
Honestly my first thought when reading the headlines is how fitting it was that we finally decide to use him a little bit and he gets hurt immediately after. Then I was relieved to find out it wasn't Tulu, and then I remembered we are screwed in football regardless and now this is going to screw up the one team that we expected to be good this year.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I think all of that is correct and I agree with it. But if we can get through the first half of the season and see the improved outside shooting materialize that we've been hearing about in practice, we're going to be hell on wheels down the stretch if Tolu can come back healthy.
#positivepost

I have little doubt he is the coach we think he is and provided Tolu doesn't come back too late to get back into game shape, I actually do think we'll be a better team because of this at the end of the season.

Obviously not saying I'd choose this by any means, as I don't know if we have the margin to make the tournament with an extended absence from Tolu, and even if we do, this is pretty much guaranteed to hurt our seeding compared to what it could be. But if we find out he's expected back at or near the beginning of SEC play, I won't be panicked about it.

All that said, being a state fan, I read "is expected to return during SEC action" as "is expected to be ready sometime in late February, maybe early March". If and when that reading is confirmed, I will be panicked then. Or really just pissed. Too typical for State fans lately to be panicked about it.

Reactions: Drebin
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login