Tom Herman

patdog

May 28, 2007
Okay let's discuss. Do you not think Briles and Sumlin built Houston into a solid G5 program? Or do you think Levine ruined it? Do we not distinguish between the current team and the overall program?

Briles and Sumlin turned Houston into a winner. When Briles inherited Houston in 03', they had 10 losing seasons from 1991-2002. Several of those with 1 win and a 0 win season in 2001.

A 17ing 0fer.

View attachment 446043

Herman took over a successful program from a meh coach. The 2 seasons before Herman got the Houston job in 2015, Levine won 8 games each year. Sumlin had them at 13-1 in his last year in 11'. So the Redshirt SRs on Herman's 13-1 team were on Sumlin's 13-1 team.

Houston's record the 12 years before Briles:
40-93-1. 1 bowl appearance.
Houston's record the 12 years before Herman:
93-60. 9 bowl appearances.

So let's not act like Herman rebuilt the Titanic from the bottom of the ocean floor. Briles did that after a decade of massive losing. Sumlin got it going full speed. Levine was not a great coach, but he kept it afloat.

So yes, Herman absolutely inherited a program built by Briles and Sumlin. The team and players were probably mostly Levine's, but it was still a solid program.
I admire your tenacity in doubling down on an argument that just got so completely destroyed by Rupert.

• Haha
Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
I want to coach that's coming to MSU to build a program and build a dynasty. I don't want someone that'll be retired in 5 years. I don't want someone who's using this as a stepping stone. Just might humble opinion.

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
I want to coach that's coming to MSU to build a program and build a dynasty. I don't want someone that'll be retired in 5 years. I don't want someone who's using this as a stepping stone. Just might humble opinion.

well we going to have to throw enough money at him to keep him.... whoever he is.

I do agree with building a Dynasty. I'm sure Mullen is still kicking himself over leaving here. I wonder where we would be right now if he never left.

Reactions: Bullldawg78
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login