Top 3 list of things to make Starkville great......

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Check the vibe in Bham or Memphis or Huntsville or numerous other spots where they have that set up. It’s not nearly as bad as you’d imagine. There’s basically nowhere unique to take kids in Starkville where there is mutual family enjoyment, ****, outside of McKee Park, or the movie theater….I don’t even know where you take kids, period. Folks who have kids want to get out of the house, with or without them. Best to provide options for both.
I was traveling around Alabama a good bit the last two weeks and found a cool brewery in Alabaster called Siluria Brewing. Good beer and cool environment. I guess my issue with kids in an environment where I’m trying to relax is more with the parents than the kids. Parents become used to the constant motion and noise created by some kids and just tune them out and ignore it. I’m so far past that stage of life it’s like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. My wife and I have a code phrase for situations where kids are getting on our nerves, one of us will say” it’s time to go someone is being cute”. That’s the cue to pay the tab. But I get it, I was there once.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
“However the biggest thing Starkville needs is positive talk from US. People are always talking up Oxford.“

^^^THIS! I get so sick of people here in Nashville go experience Oxford and react as if they’ve never been to a small town. Then if I mention Starkville (where they’ve never been), the connotation is yuck. The towns are equal basically. People will go on and on about the food scene in Oxford as if they created anything and everything delicious. And then the shopping as if they’ve never been around a boutique before. It’s a weird phenomenon.

Starkville needs to create better PR, especially up here where there’s a growing demographic of people not familiar with Mississippi State and Starkville.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I’m disappointed you didn’t mention bringing back Mr. Cook’s.***

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
"Time Stands Still" in StarkVegas. Gas stations, check cashing, and fast food (mostly chicken). Exactly what every vibrant, diversified economy needs ***********

You just described every small city in MS (including Oxford), but by all means keep rolling.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Is driving across a county line that big an obstacle for you to play golf? If a new course was built it would have to be outside of town on one side or the other. It will take you that long to drive from the opposite side of town to get to it. Seriously, its a 25 minute drive from campus to Old Waverly, that's probably average for most people that drive to play anywhere they live. Mossy Oak Golf is less than 5 minutes from Waverly. MSU course re-opens today w/ new greens, new tee tops, repaired cart paths. You looking for a top notch course in the middle of the campus or something?

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Old farts would ***** about too many students using it, students would ***** about having to run or bike around old farts......

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
Starkville needs to become the headquarters of a major corporation that the local population grows & the economy diversifies.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I don't think its been open in years but they do brew some, I see comments on social media about people drinking them.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
but you can also say we should have never located the university in Starkville

This is the key. MSU should have been located in Meridian, which if my memory of history is correct, the original desired destination for MSU by the powers that be at the time

Hattiesburg, Jackson, and Meridian would have been a more "golden" triangle

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
And Mississippi State Government loves to spite the state’s most important resource — which is its people.

Taxing Mississippians’ forgiven student loan debt?

Reason Number 266485874 why recent graduates leave the state:

They are not valued by the state.

Link: Here.
This is going to be true for any state who has a state income tax.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The truth is that the truth hurts sometimes.
We all know the truth. You're not providing some insightful innovation here into a problem nobody has seen, buddy. Looking back at Starkville and MSU's history, it's hard to find many decisions that actually were good at all, until about 1990. So let's quit rehashing all the dumb **** we did in the past.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
We all know the truth. You're not providing some insightful innovation here into a problem nobody has seen, buddy. Looking back at Starkville and MSU's history, it's hard to find many decisions that actually were good at all, until about 1990. So let's quit rehashing all the dumb **** we did in the past.

In that case, quit writing to a damn internet college sports forum and get your agent-of-change butt out a be a leader for the great city of Starkville. Keyboard jockeying is hardly "insightful innovation," pal.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I really like what Starkville is trying to do with University Dr. The "bar scene" needs to continue to be developed along University until one day, it is one continuous entertainment district from the Cotton District to Downtown. It is getting there. Just keep concentrating on that area. I was a little disappointed Walkons built out on the highway but they are a national brand and not local. So I don't know about the fit to university drive.

That is a long stretch. I'm not sure Starkville has the population to support an entertainment district that long. It would have been nice to have a walkons or BWW type set up on university, but I think the lack of parking would scare a lot of people off from investing in something like that. As I said, hard to fix now.

People mention THe LYric. I know yall will disagree here however......Rick's has much better musical acts than anyone in Oxford. I know of 3 girls that drove down from Oxford to go to Ricks for Bailey Zimmerman. Ricks has an awesome place for live music.
Haven't paid attention to Rick's in a long time, but they were a good bar for music when I was in school. Hated the feel of the place, but they brought in good bands and consistently showed up in best bars in america, best college bars, etc lists. Not sure how many of those were more or less paid advertisements, but Ricks was what a lot of people want in a college bar. Big venue to pack students in, good music, lots of drink specials, also had stuff like pool and darts. It just sucked because you had to drive to it and there is nothing nearby to walk to.

Seriously, a Target would help. But a town that small isn't getting a Target. However the biggest thing Starkville needs is positive talk from US. People are always talking up Oxford. Ive been there plenty. It is ok. But Starkville and Oxford are damn near the same town. Be proud of Starkville and take people with you to experience it.
Starkville's reputation was hurt because for so long the main access points went through the ****** parts of town. Coming into town on 12 isn't much different than coming into oxford down jackson. But coming in on old 82 versus coming into lamar was a major difference. The only big difference now is that Oxford's bar scene is centralized and ours is spread out. That's a big deal because people like walkability. But it's not that big of a deal. When I was in school, undergrads mostly paid cover to the library or the other big bar (I think it was called the Levee at the time?) and stayed there until close. Upperclassmen and grad/professional students would bar hop a scene that was functionally no different from the cotton district with a bunch of small bars.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

It's not insightful but it is what happens in Mississippi because the correct responses are often anathema to the State's Powers That Be.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It's not insightful but it is what happens in Mississippi because the correct responses are often anathema to the State's Powers That Be.
I think a lot of that has changed. Sure there's still some vestiges of that in places, but I mean, look at Starkville, the advances they've made over even the last decade totally blows this 'good ole boy' crap out of the water.

It's not a balmy 1983 in Starkville anymore.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
In that case, quit writing to a damn internet college sports forum and get your agent-of-change butt out a be a leader for the great city of Starkville. Keyboard jockeying is hardly "insightful innovation," pal.
Will do. At the same time, keep your better-than-thou-out-of-state butt exactly where you are. Just do us all a favor and intentionally STFU on those days where you choose to be "snarky".

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
This is going to be true for any state who has a state income tax.

Not true. Six states have already passed exemptions to prevent it from being taxable income….including red-as-17 Idaho and Kentucky. 6 others still discussing the matter in their current legislative sessions. The remaining 37 states have laws that follow federal debt cancellation protocols set forth in the ARPA, which means no exemptions are required.

So, as usual, MS is putting its best foot forward to be first in all the wrong categories, and last in everything else.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...arture-to-tax-forgiven-student-debt#xj4y7vzkg

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Not true. Six states have already passed exemptions to prevent it from being taxable income….including red-as-17 Idaho and Kentucky. 6 others still discussing the matter in their current legislative sessions. The remaining 37 states have laws that follow federal debt cancellation protocols set forth in the ARPA, which means no exemptions are required.

So, as usual, MS is putting its best foot forward to be first in all the wrong categories, and last in everything else.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...arture-to-tax-forgiven-student-debt#xj4y7vzkg
Are you sure that MS just hasn't had a chance to exempt it? Nevermind, read it now.

Yeah that's kind of stupid.

Aug 22, 2012
There are obviously a lot of things Starkville could do better from an infrastructure stand point.

On thing that I have thought of that would be cool is if some breweries bought the old buildings and Industrial Park and converted them into something. That would certainly put a new shine on that entire section of the city , and would be a really cool spot with a revamped industrial feel to it. They have done that with a few places in Birmingham. That's a pipe dream but would pretty awesome.

Also the poster who commented about golf, Starkville Country Club has come a long way in the past couple years and is continuing to improve.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Will do. At the same time, keep your better-than-thou-out-of-state butt exactly where you are. Just do us all a favor and intentionally STFU on those days where you choose to be "snarky".

You're small-vision thinking is exactly why you won't come up with any solutions on how to improve StarkVegas. Please stay there and don't sully more prosperous areas by relocating.

Also, you may want to consider heading up "Tourism" - you show an uncanny knack for it

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Knowing Mr. Cook, I'll just say that his snarkiness comes from wisdom. He may live out of state but his econ contacts in the state are... Yuge.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Knowing Mr. Cook, I'll just say that his snarkiness comes from wisdom. He may live out of state but his econ contacts in the state are... Yuge.
I know he's not stupid. He's just an *******. I mean look at his last reply, doesn't even make sense. "small-vision", legit LOL. Not even worth responding to, the over the top jokesters and snarky ******** are just annoying in discussions like this.

Last edited:

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Well, the Legislature hasnt met since this came down, so DOR is interpreting law as is. They have to follow the law, cant make it up as they go like the President did in forgiving the debt (And yes, GOP President's issued EOs doing silly stuff too circumventing Congress, and I didnt like it then either)

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Well, the Legislature hasnt met since this came down, so DOR is interpreting law as is. They have to follow the law, cant make it up as they go like the President did in forgiving the debt (And yes, GOP President's issued EOs doing silly stuff too circumventing Congress, and I didnt like it then either)
Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at. Doesn't appear MS has taken any action at this time, so hopefully an exemption will happen.

patdog

May 28, 2007
cant make it up as they go like the President did in forgiving the debt (And yes, GOP President's issued EOs doing silly stuff too circumventing Congress, and I didnt like it then either)
I still don't have any idea how in the hell presidential executive orders are constitutional. They completely bypass the legislative branch to establish law.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I still don't have any idea how in the hell presidential executive orders are constitutional. They completely bypass the legislative branch to establish law.

They sometimes are, and can be declared as such by the Supreme Court. They can also be blocked by congressional legislation, which then requires a veto override vote, obviously.

All that being said, the ability to cancel student loan debt does fall within the scope of “managing federal operations” that is normally within the accepted parameters of EO’s. Its not creating a new law that says all federal student loan debt now and forevermore will be cancelled, so I would surmise that its limited scope should withstand any ruling. If there is any avenue that its unconstitutional, the current SCOTUS certainly doesn’t have any ideological obstructions that will prevent them from finding it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Is driving across a county line that big an obstacle for you to play golf? If a new course was built it would have to be outside of town on one side or the other. It will take you that long to drive from the opposite side of town to get to it. Seriously, its a 25 minute drive from campus to Old Waverly, that's probably average for most people that drive to play anywhere they live. Mossy Oak Golf is less than 5 minutes from Waverly. MSU course re-opens today w/ new greens, new tee tops, repaired cart paths. You looking for a top notch course in the middle of the campus or something?

25 minutes from the edge of town does make it hard to do things like play golf after work. But I agree as far as starkville and alumni and visitors to the town, while it would definitely be nicer if Old Waverly and all the nice housing that comes with it were say where the highlands are (are they still called that?), it's not a big deal for it to be in West Point.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I agree with this. However, my question is.....if a person did build a decent size sports bar, with open air seating, TVs...nice place.... could it compete with Walk-ons and BWW?

If you put a place like that in the cotton district, I think students and visitors would support the one in the cotton district. I think a lot of locals and people from the county would support whatever is on the highway. But I do think the one in the cotton district would have to be better than Buffalo Wild Wings, which isn't a huge hurdle. Other than having a ton of TVs, there's nothing particularly great about them. Less familiar with walk ons so not sure how that would compare.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
And Mississippi State Government loves to spite the state’s most important resource — which is its people.

Taxing Mississippians’ forgiven student loan debt?

Reason Number 266485874 why recent graduates leave the state:

They are not valued by the state.

Link: Here.

I mean, it's $500 in state taxes for a $10,000 transfer from other taxpayers. That's still a pretty damn good deal, and why would that income be exempt from taxes when other income isn't? Going to suck for people that are on income based repayment though (I mean, suck if you ignore the fact that they are already getting a great deal by not having to pay their debt), because their payment may not increase but the income probably has to be recognized now.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

If you read the article, you’ll note that MS isn’t the only state who is done for the year with its legislative sessions, but it is the only state that is on the record as moving forward with taxation. Other states are simply deferring the decision, or state they are still studying it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Damn. What a 17ing joke. Curious how that works for a debt that isn’t even owed to the state. Looks like maroonmadman was onto something about both parties robbing folks.

??? Income is taxed regardless of whether the income comes from the state government. All my income in Mississippi is taxed. I don't disagree that a lot of that is robbery, but I'm not sure why income from debt forgiveness shouldn't be taxed. If it should, I'd love to start just taking a loan from my employer at the beginning of each pay period and then have that loan forgiven at the end of it and avoid taxes on it.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If you read the article, you’ll note that MS isn’t the only state who is done for the year with its legislative sessions, but it is the only state that is on the record as moving forward with taxation. Other states are simply deferring the decision, or state they are still studying it.
Maybe (hopefully) that's just somebody in the DOR being a dumbass and talking too much.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I mean, it's $500 in state taxes for a $10,000 transfer from other taxpayers. That's still a pretty damn good deal, and why would that income be exempt from taxes when other income isn't? Going to suck for people that are on income based repayment though (I mean, suck if you ignore the fact that they are already getting a great deal by not having to pay their debt), because their payment may not increase but the income probably has to be recognized now.

Its not a $10,000 transfer of ****, as far as the state is concerned. It’s a federal debt, and the state has no skin in that game.

As far as why shouldn’t it be taxed? Perhaps you should ask that question to the 43 states who are confirmed to not be taxing it, many if whom are politically aligned with Mississippi in every facet. Those states perhaps realize that its a horrible idea in the current economic climate to pilfer their lower middle class citizens for millions of extra tax revenue as a low hanging fruit cash grab (and nothing more than a political “17 you” gesture) for something that didn’t take any food off their table.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login