Torn Rotator Cuff

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Been fighting a torn rotator cuff for a couple of years. Finally going to get it fixed next week. All indications are that it is a slow painful recovery. Anyone had this surgery and can give me the straight, no BS, good or bad on recovery? I was told that I can be close to normal in 3 months. No doubt that mileage may vary depending on individual circumstances. In my case they plan to fix it arthroscopicly. I hope that works. Tendon is torn loose from the bone. Thanks in advance for any shared experiences.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Had a torn labrum - which is kinda similar to a rotator cuff - fixed when I was 41
Wasn’t an easy recovery but I was back in the gym in about 4-5 weeks doing light stuff, like 5 lb lateral raises. All I could do with my right arm.
For about a year or more my shoulder felt tight and like it may rip apart if I threw a ball or sometimes even swinging a golf club.
I did do some rehab at a facility but after a couple of weeks of that, I figured I could do this on my own.
Of course I didn’t have Drew Brees type of rehab nor the desire or need to be back to being a Pro athlete either.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Depends on what "close to normal" means to you. I'm 7 months out and just started playing tennis again about a month ago. Serve still doesn't have much power (even less than it used to). At 3 months, you'll be close to normal for office work, but I was still shaving with my left hand and of course no lifting or anything. I think more like 6-9 months to be close to full use and probably a year or so to get back to 100%.

My advice is get recommendations for surgeons and physical therapists. I used Dr. Larry Field at MS Sports Medicine and Wayne Jiminez at Performance Therapy Fondren. I've used both of them for years (Dr. Field did my 1st rotator cuff 25 years and Wayne's then partner Max rehabbed it - this was a separate injury, the first one was completely healed on the MRI) and they're both excellent. Do your rehab, but don't overdo it. Listen to what your shoulder is telling you. If it's sore, rest it for a day or two before more rehab. I wound up getting tendonitis which set me back about a month. Good luck. I can tell you the first week is going to be hell, but you'll get through it. PM me if you want more info or if you just want to talk about it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Had a torn labrum - which is kinda similar to a rotator cuff - fixed when I was 41
Wasn’t an easy recovery but I was back in the gym in about 4-5 weeks doing light stuff, like 5 lb lateral raises. All I could do with my right arm.
For about a year or more my shoulder felt tight and like it may rip apart if I threw a ball or sometimes even swinging a golf club.
I did do some rehab at a facility but after a couple of weeks of that, I figured I could do this on my own.
Of course I didn’t have Drew Brees type of rehab nor the desire or need to be back to being a Pro athlete either.
If you were in the gym at 4-5 weeks, what you had was nothing like a rotator cuff.

Reactions: JackShephard

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Hope it works out for you guys and get well soon. I had a question though if anybody knew the answer. Are rotator cuffs more common in baseball players who throw completely over handed?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Been fighting a torn rotator cuff for a couple of years. Finally going to get it fixed next week. All indications are that it is a slow painful recovery. Anyone had this surgery and can give me the straight, no BS, good or bad on recovery? I was told that I can be close to normal in 3 months. No doubt that mileage may vary depending on individual circumstances. In my case they plan to fix it arthroscopicly. I hope that works. Tendon is torn loose from the bone. Thanks in advance for any shared experiences.
I had it done in 2004 after my freshman year of playing baseball in college. It sucks. Mainly the rehab part it’s fairly painful but you’ll make it. For me, it got easier with each rehab session.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Terribly sorry for your situation. I have no experience with it, so I can't help there.

However - Man, with baseball season starting in 2 days, that is a very scary thread topic to see!
Can't help either & this thread topic was alarming to me too for the same reasons...

Reactions: JackShephard

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You'll live. It sucks, but I have relatives (let's just say, with a low pain tolerance and very whiny) that made it through it.

I just had back surgery and am about back to 100% if it makes you feel better. Just take it easy, and let time do it's thing. Are they doing it microscopically?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I had basically the same surgery about four years ago. Tendon reattached and cleaned up the rotator cuff. Three months back to normal is ambitious. I was three months being able to sleep all night flat in a bed and finally feeling that I’d done the right thing by having surgery. Six months I was beginning to do things I hadn’t done in years but I was 12 months before I was completely pain free and had full range of motion. Do you have a comfortable recliner? If not go buy one today because you are not laying flat in a bed for weeks or months. Don’t blow off therapy, guy who had his done and was in therapy at the same time as me disappeared after about a week. At the end of my therapy he was back, he’d had to redo the surgery because his shoulder locked up. Columbus Orthopedic did mine, Dr Jones.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The rehab is painful, sorry. But not knee replacement rehab bad.
I've heard people who have had both say the rotator cuff is worse. But looking at the knee rehab guys in PT, I still think the knee is worse. Rotator cuff is a bit painful, but it's really not that bad if you take it slow. And if you don't take it slow, you may wind up having to start all over again after your 2nd rotator cuff surgery.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I've had it done in both shoulders.

Surgery is easy-peasy. Recovery? Not so much.

Do what the doctors tell you to do. Wear that sling. Don't blow off rehab.

Turfdoc992

Oct 3, 2022
Last January I slipped on some ice on the sidewalk in front of Regions Bank in Starkville and took a hard fall. Whole arm turned black and blue. After X-ray and MRI it was determined I had severed 2 tendons and damaged a 3rd of the 4 tendons that hold the shoulder together. I had rotator cuff surgery to re-attatch the tendons. Surgery went well do to having fresh tendons to work with. The drugs the first couple weeks after surgery are wonderful. Rehab PT went into May. Slow process of gaining strength. Baby steps. I believe at first it is slow as they wanted the tendons to heal before going hard on them. Pay very close attention to form in the rehab exercises to get the most bang for the buck out of them. Be diligent about the home program. You may still have some "blind spots" or weakness in certain areas of the shoulder motion that just take time.

Best of luck

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I had basically the same surgery about four years ago. Tendon reattached and cleaned up the rotator cuff. Three months back to normal is ambitious. I was three months being able to sleep all night flat in a bed and finally feeling that I’d done the right thing by having surgery. Six months I was beginning to do things I hadn’t done in years but I was 12 months before I was completely pain free and had full range of motion. Do you have a comfortable recliner? If not go buy one today because you are not laying flat in a bed for weeks or months. Don’t blow off therapy, guy who had his done and was in therapy at the same time as me disappeared after about a week. At the end of my therapy he was back, he’d had to redo the surgery because his shoulder locked up. Columbus Orthopedic did mine, Dr Jones.
Dr. Scott Jones doing mine too. I do have the recliner and have been told that I will be sleeping there for awhile.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I've heard people who have had both say the rotator cuff is worse. But looking at the knee rehab guys in PT, I still think the knee is worse. Rotator cuff is a bit painful, but it's really not that bad if you take it slow. And if you don't take it slow, you may wind up having to start all over again after your 2nd rotator cuff surgery.
Nope knee is much easier. Friend of mine from high school had knee replacement the same day I had shoulder surgery. We were both 50 ish. He was doing squats with weights while I was still walking my fingers up the wall. He was running on a treadmill and I couldn’t even raise my hand above my head. Even my therapist said there was nothing worse than shoulder rehab. I’m not trying to scare anyone because it gets to the point pain wise that 3-6 months of rehab at least has an end to the pain Where as before it just got worse.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Well 5hit, now that I've seen this post...I've had both. Like I said in the other post, the surgery itself for rotator cuff is very, very easy. A simple scope, really. By contrast, knee replacement is an extremely traumatic and violent surgery (don't watch a youtube video of a knee replacement surgery - it's not for the faint of heart). I would say the pain is more intense the first couple of weeks after surgery for the knee....primarily due to the bone trauma. After a TKR, you don't take pain meds as needed - you take them every four hours or you will be chasing it.

That said the rehab is easier than rotator cuff. With that rotator cuff, it takes longer to get where you want to be and it's going to hurt more in the long term...and really affect your quality of life due to the limited range of motion in your shoulder and the constant dull, aching pain. Simple tasks like changing your shirt or wiping your *** become very difficult. Your shoulder hurts more because you don't really realize how much weight your shoulder joint supports until you go through something like this. That sling is your friend.

Anyway, just personal experience. Others' mileage may vary.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Jeez this board is old and falling apart!*

world of warcraft legion GIF

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Mine wasn't that bad. It was painful to start but was much better than what all the knee replacement folks have told me. But, I was 28 yrs old too, so could be an age thing as well.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
For those of you that have shoulder issues or have had surgery, is static electricity not the most painful thing you have experienced. You cannot help but react when electricity jumps off your finger tip to a door knob. I still won’t reach for a doorknob with that arm.

Jul 5, 2020
"Rotator cuff" surgery is variable bc of the complexity of the joint and the what is actually torn in there. Because you have several tendons (supraspinatus, infraspinatus, biceps, teres minor) that comprise the RC, it depends on which are damaged and the amount of scar tissue, bone spurring, that has occurred since the tears. Also, you have a bone called the acromion that can get involved and create problems with a bursa sac that frequently gets damaged when other parts of the RC anatomy start fritzing out. The standard surgery for a RC repair is to go in via arthroscopy and clean out the inflammation, reduce the bone spurs, shave down the acromion and distal tip of the clavicle, and finally repair the tendons.

They shave down the bones to give the RC capsule more room to avoid future pain and impingement. This is one of the most painful parts of immediate recovery, but it's valuable. Turns out, your bones don't like being shaved on.

The tendons can also be tightened in this process, which is a net benefit to some people (think Tommy John in the elbow). If you have damage to the supraspinatus tendon, your overall range of motion above 90 degrees is going to be limited permanently in most cases, but you'll likely get pain relief. That's just the reality of damage to that tendon. The others can be repaired pretty well to reduce strength and regain ROM. The labrum injury is far less surgically significant, because it is just a cartilaginous gasket that lubricates the humerus from the glenoid and AC joint, and is usually a much easier repair and recovery.

I agree with the posters who tell you to follow your PT recommendations and listen to your body. Hurrying back from tendon repair usually justs results in additional tendon damage and tendinosis/itis.

Also, you should ask your doctor about which of the specific parts of the anatomy are torn in there so that you can research the recoveries on each. This will give you the information that you need to help guide your PT person, because they have a tendency to treat all "RC" recovery as the same without specifics. Good luck!

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Thanks everyone. It sounds like it’s about going to be what I expected. My goal is be be able to get back on the tractor in August to work on my green fields. I am going to miss some turkey hunting and fishing though.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
"Rotator cuff" surgery is variable bc of the complexity of the joint and the what is actually torn in there. Because you have several tendons (supraspinatus, infraspinatus, biceps, teres minor) that comprise the RC, it depends on which are damaged and the amount of scar tissue, bone spurring, that has occurred since the tears. Also, you have a bone called the acromion that can get involved and create problems with a bursa sac that frequently gets damaged when other parts of the RC anatomy start fritzing out. The standard surgery for a RC repair is to go in via arthroscopy and clean out the inflammation, reduce the bone spurs, shave down the acromion and distal tip of the clavicle, and finally repair the tendons.

They shave down the bones to give the RC capsule more room to avoid future pain and impingement. This is one of the most painful parts of immediate recovery, but it's valuable. Turns out, your bones don't like being shaved on.

The tendons can also be tightened in this process, which is a net benefit to some people (think Tommy John in the elbow). If you have damage to the supraspinatus tendon, your overall range of motion above 90 degrees is going to be limited permanently in most cases, but you'll likely get pain relief. That's just the reality of damage to that tendon. The others can be repaired pretty well to reduce strength and regain ROM. The labrum injury is far less surgically significant, because it is just a cartilaginous gasket that lubricates the humerus from the glenoid and AC joint, and is usually a much easier repair and recovery.

I agree with the posters who tell you to follow your PT recommendations and listen to your body. Hurrying back from tendon repair usually justs results in additional tendon damage and tendinosis/itis.

Also, you should ask your doctor about which of the specific parts of the anatomy are torn in there so that you can research the recoveries on each. This will give you the information that you need to help guide your PT person, because they have a tendency to treat all "RC" recovery as the same without specifics. Good luck!
Very informative. Thank you. I think I only have one ( the front) tendon torn.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Apparently this crap is very common. Didn’t expect this many responses. Appreciate everyone’s comments.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Thanks everyone. It sounds like it’s about going to be what I expected. My goal is be be able to get back on the tractor in August to work on my green fields. I am going to miss some turkey hunting and fishing though.
One more thing about the pain meds. First, don't take them unless you really need them. You will need them the first few days, but get off of them as soon as you can. But START TAKING A STOOL SOFTENER RIGHT AFTER SURGERY, OR EVEN JUST BEFORE. Believe me, you'll be sorry if you don't. I can't emphasize this enough.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I didn’t shoot a gun for well over a year and the surgery was on my off shoulder.

Jul 5, 2020
Very informative. Thank you. I think I only have one ( the front) tendon torn.
No problem. Unfortunately, I know more than I ever thought I would about this. One other thing- ask your doc what type of acromion you have (they're categorized by anatomical design from 1-4 depending on how far they reach into the RC), and if he plans on shaving it. I'd ask him to take it down a little since if it's longer, it's an anatomical flaw and can cause future problems. DM me if you have other questions.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
One more thing about the pain meds. First, don't take them unless you really need them. You will need them the first few days, but get off of them as soon as you can. But START TAKING A STOOL SOFTENER RIGHT AFTER SURGERY, OR EVEN JUST BEFORE. Believe me, you'll be sorry if you don't. I can't emphasize this enough.
Somewhat disagree with the first sentence. You’re coming home with a nerve block and very little pain. The pain won’t kick in until the next day and when it kicks in, it’s too late for the pills. Don’t get behind the pain the first couple of days, take them around the clock the first 2-3 days. After about the third day start trying to see how you do without it, save them for night time. I went to Naproxen Sodium during the day because it’s not addictive and only used the good stuff at night for about a week. Agree 100% on the stool softener

patdog

May 28, 2007
Somewhat disagree with the first sentence. You’re coming home with a nerve block and very little pain. The pain won’t kick in until the next day and when it kicks in, it’s too late for the pills. Don’t get behind the pain the first couple of days, take them around the clock the first 2-3 days. After about the third day start trying to see how you do without it, save them for night time. I went to Naproxen Sodium during the day because it’s not addictive and only used the good stuff at night for about a week. Agree 100% on the stool softener
Yeah, that nerve block is great. I do agree, you don't need to start the pain meds until that night, and you probably should take them for at least a couple of days once you start. Then quit when you can. I only took them for about 2-1/2 days, but that's going to vary from person to person. Just get off them when you can. Narcotics are nasty, addictive drugs with bad side effects.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yep I would say right before. It's the anesthesia that gets you too, even moreso than the pain pills. I guess that could vary from person to person.

If you don't you're about to experience the sensation of childbirth.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, that nerve block is great. I do agree, you don't need to start the pain meds until that night, and you probably should take them for at least a couple of days once you start. Then quit when you can. I only took them for about 2-1/2 days, but that's going to vary from person to person. Just get off them when you can. Narcotics are nasty, addictive drugs with bad side effects.
The nerve block is great after the surgery. The shot block it sucks though. And they go into the neck for the shoulder surgery, so there are complications that can come with that.

I had the nerve block for one of mine but opted out of it for the second one.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yep I would say right before. It's the anesthesia that gets you too, even moreso than the pain pills. I guess that could vary from person to person.

If you don't you're about to experience the sensation of childbirth.
Friend of mine who had his rotator cuff a week before mine told me, after my experience of thinking I was going to tear my rectum and have to go to the emergency room, "Oh yeah, I probably should have told you to take a stool softener. I was yelling and cussing and banging the wall with my good arm."

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You'll live. It sucks, but I have relatives (let's just say, with a low pain tolerance and very whiny) that made it through it.

I just had back surgery and am about back to 100% if it makes you feel better. Just take it easy, and let time do it's thing. Are they doing it microscopically?
You jinxing mother17er. You started that thread a few weeks ago and I ran my big mouth about PT being the answer. Then Saturday i picked up a nothing dumbbell at the gym and pop. Same place as last year. If it's going to constantly keep herniating I am going to get surgery as well I guess. Going for an MRI in the next week or two.

What surgery did you have? How long has the recovery taken? My wife had a laminectomy and ended up with permanent atrophy and numbness on her lower left leg. At this point if my back is going to go out every year I think I would rather deal with the numbness than the debilitating pain for 2-3 months every year.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Friend of mine who had his rotator cuff a week before mine told me, after my experience of thinking I was going to tear my rectum and have to go to the emergency room, "Oh yeah, I probably should have told you to take a stool softener. I was yelling and cussing and banging the wall with my good arm."
I think you would be better off just to go ahead and do a colonoscopy prep prior to surgery.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think you would be better off just to go ahead and do a colonoscopy prep prior to surgery.
I thought about sending my brother out to get a prep kit. But I figured by then it was probably too late and might cause more problems than it solved.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If you're going to be a bear be a grizzly. I had the whole damn thing done, joint replaced and from what the Dr said he "throws in the rotator cuff and tendon trimming for free" Every surgery is different I'm sure but my surgery experience was really really good. Surgeon came in late the afternoon of the surgery and asked if I wanted to go home that night? It was February and the hospital was full of flu patients and the nurse said he was wanting to keep me from that. I had the morphine pump and was so groggy I could barely answer him I was so out of it. I couldn't understand why I was so relaxed because I had not used the pump once, but while I was sleeping my wife was steady hitting me w/ the morphine because nurse said if you wait until the pain starts its too late to do any good.

I went home next morning and never got my pain pill prescription filled, just alternated Aleve and Extra Strength Tylenol. The recliner is a must, I used it for at least a couple months because every time I tried to lay flat I started hurting.

As good as my surgeon and surgery were, the therapist sucked. It wasn't painful but I wasn't progressing. I didn't like the guy at all. I didn't want to miss work so I scheduled 7:00 a.m. sessions, I was half done w/ my routine most mornings before he even showed up. I'd get there and start what I was supposed to do at 7:00. He'd show up about 7:20 and say some smart remark about me going to get him in trouble starting w/out him, told him he needed to get there on time then to avoid that scenario. He'd go stand in the middle of the room typing into his computer and flirting w/ the female therapists instead of working w/ me. Insurance paid for 20 sessions of therapy, after seeing him for 14 I quit and went elsewhere. They evaluated me and said I was about where I should be after 7 visits instead of the 14 I had done so in other words half where I should be. I couldn't raise my arm from my side more than about 6 inches, so new therapists told me he would take me on and do whatever it took to fix it even if he had to do some free sessions. I had used him before for a knee issue and liked him but didn't use from the start because the big box sports clinic that did my surgery had their own therapy center.
New guy worked the hell out of me and would measure progress before and after each session and it was amazing how much and quickly I progressed under him. I couldn't raise my arm from my side more than about 6 inches to start but in the pool I could raise it as high as I wanted when in deep water. I went to the pool twice a day in addition to my therapy sessions to work it which did a lot of good for me. They told me I would be in pretty good shape after about 3 months, that was total BS! It was about 9 months for me when I finally got most strength back but I really think it was because of the terrible therapist I started with. That was about 10 years ago and no problems at all now. But, now sad to say my other shoulder is about where my new one was about a year or two before having surgery so will probably have to get it done eventually. Sorry so long but wanted to give you the total scenario, hope yours goes as good as mine did.

This is my post op xray, going through airport security is challenging sometimes:
1676476582808.png

Bowdawg

Jan 8, 2023
Went thru rotator cuff on Sept 17 last yr. Can say for sure wear the sling and do the rehab. The worst part for me was sleeping with sling on. I go to rehab twice a week and do the at home work as well. I’m still not a 100% but have been able to lift substantial weight now. They said after I got my sling off I as best case scenario because I had almost 100% mobility at 6weeks. The strength is still a work in progress and I suggest not over doing that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login