Torn Rotator Cuff

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You jinxing mother17er. You started that thread a few weeks ago and I ran my big mouth about PT being the answer. Then Saturday i picked up a nothing dumbbell at the gym and pop. Same place as last year. If it's going to constantly keep herniating I am going to get surgery as well I guess. Going for an MRI in the next week or two.

What surgery did you have? How long has the recovery taken? My wife had a laminectomy and ended up with permanent atrophy and numbness on her lower left leg. At this point if my back is going to go out every year I think I would rather deal with the numbness than the debilitating pain for 2-3 months every year.
L4/L5 right side microdiscectomy, which a small laminectomy is a part of. Surgeon has to drill out a very small piece of bone so they can access the spine nerves and disc herniation. Technically a laminectomy is also when they remove some bone that might also be pressing on a nerve. MRI will tell you the problem, but I'm guessing it's a herniation.

I'm going for my 6 week post op next week. I do have some residual numbness and loss of strength, and ever now again a shooting minor pain, which ibuprofen generally takes out. I had this done on L5/S1 right side in 2008, and had the same issues but it eventually went away after I started stretching and doing yoga again.

And you're correct, the debilitating pain isn't worth it. I was totally bedridden and wanted to die during New Year's. There was no escape until I was miraculously able to see the surgeon on Jan. 2, where I finally got some pain pills that only took the edge off. Was still constant, manageable pain until surgery.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
One more thing about the pain meds. First, don't take them unless you really need them. You will need them the first few days, but get off of them as soon as you can. But START TAKING A STOOL SOFTENER RIGHT AFTER SURGERY, OR EVEN JUST BEFORE. Believe me, you'll be sorry if you don't. I can't emphasize this enough.
Great advice. I have had that problem with pain meds in the past.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Depends on what "close to normal" means to you. I'm 7 months out and just started playing tennis again about a month ago. Serve still doesn't have much power (even less than it used to). At 3 months, you'll be close to normal for office work, but I was still shaving with my left hand and of course no lifting or anything. I think more like 6-9 months to be close to full use and probably a year or so to get back to 100%.

My advice is get recommendations for surgeons and physical therapists. I used Dr. Larry Field at MS Sports Medicine and Wayne Jiminez at Performance Therapy Fondren. I've used both of them for years (Dr. Field did my 1st rotator cuff 25 years and Wayne's then partner Max rehabbed it - this was a separate injury, the first one was completely healed on the MRI) and they're both excellent. Do your rehab, but don't overdo it. Listen to what your shoulder is telling you. If it's sore, rest it for a day or two before more rehab. I wound up getting tendonitis which set me back about a month. Good luck. I can tell you the first week is going to be hell, but you'll get through it. PM me if you want more info or if you just want to talk about it.
Field did all 3 of mine. that s who you want

Reactions: patdog

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
If you're going to be a bear be a grizzly. I had the whole damn thing done, joint replaced and from what the Dr said he "throws in the rotator cuff and tendon trimming for free" Every surgery is different I'm sure but my surgery experience was really really good. Surgeon came in late the afternoon of the surgery and asked if I wanted to go home that night? It was February and the hospital was full of flu patients and the nurse said he was wanting to keep me from that. I had the morphine pump and was so groggy I could barely answer him I was so out of it. I couldn't understand why I was so relaxed because I had not used the pump once, but while I was sleeping my wife was steady hitting me w/ the morphine because nurse said if you wait until the pain starts its too late to do any good.

I went home next morning and never got my pain pill prescription filled, just alternated Aleve and Extra Strength Tylenol. The recliner is a must, I used it for at least a couple months because every time I tried to lay flat I started hurting.

As good as my surgeon and surgery were, the therapist sucked. It wasn't painful but I wasn't progressing. I didn't like the guy at all. I didn't want to miss work so I scheduled 7:00 a.m. sessions, I was half done w/ my routine most mornings before he even showed up. I'd get there and start what I was supposed to do at 7:00. He'd show up about 7:20 and say some smart remark about me going to get him in trouble starting w/out him, told him he needed to get there on time then to avoid that scenario. He'd go stand in the middle of the room typing into his computer and flirting w/ the female therapists instead of working w/ me. Insurance paid for 20 sessions of therapy, after seeing him for 14 I quit and went elsewhere. They evaluated me and said I was about where I should be after 7 visits instead of the 14 I had done so in other words half where I should be. I couldn't raise my arm from my side more than about 6 inches, so new therapists told me he would take me on and do whatever it took to fix it even if he had to do some free sessions. I had used him before for a knee issue and liked him but didn't use from the start because the big box sports clinic that did my surgery had their own therapy center.
New guy worked the hell out of me and would measure progress before and after each session and it was amazing how much and quickly I progressed under him. I couldn't raise my arm from my side more than about 6 inches to start but in the pool I could raise it as high as I wanted when in deep water. I went to the pool twice a day in addition to my therapy sessions to work it which did a lot of good for me. They told me I would be in pretty good shape after about 3 months, that was total BS! It was about 9 months for me when I finally got most strength back but I really think it was because of the terrible therapist I started with. That was about 10 years ago and no problems at all now. But, now sad to say my other shoulder is about where my new one was about a year or two before having surgery so will probably have to get it done eventually. Sorry so long but wanted to give you the total scenario, hope yours goes as good as mine did.

This is my post op xray, going through airport security is challenging sometimes:
View attachment 310350
If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly. I love that one. Will remember it and add it to my list. Lots of good info.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
i had 3 surgeries in 2019. right/left torn rotator cuffs and left torn bicep. did the right one first in January, it sucked the worst because im right handed. i was back at work by June.

i had the other 2 surgeries in Oct and was out till the end of April. recovery was longer because you can t even start PT for weeks because of the torn bicep. besides the pain the worst part was sleeping in a recliner for weeks. it takes a few weeks for the swelling to go down but after that it is really all about the PT.
i had also torn my rotator cuff in 2008 and that was a 3 month recovery. i was also 15 years younger though. any way ,Dr. Larry Field at Ms Sports Medicine was my doctor for all 4 surgeries . supposed to be one of the best in the business. he has written a few books on the subject.
one more thing, might have just been me, but between the anesthesia , the fentanyl before the surgery and the Percocet that they sent me home with that day i had a really not fun experience that night. wanna make sure you have someone around.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
L4/L5 right side microdiscectomy, which a small laminectomy is a part of. Surgeon has to drill out a very small piece of bone so they can access the spine nerves and disc herniation. Technically a laminectomy is also when they remove some bone that might also be pressing on a nerve. MRI will tell you the problem, but I'm guessing it's a herniation.

I'm going for my 6 week post op next week. I do have some residual numbness and loss of strength, and ever now again a shooting minor pain, which ibuprofen generally takes out. I had this done on L5/S1 right side in 2008, and had the same issues but it eventually went away after I started stretching and doing yoga again.

And you're correct, the debilitating pain isn't worth it. I was totally bedridden and wanted to die during New Year's. There was no escape until I was miraculously able to see the surgeon on Jan. 2, where I finally got some pain pills that only took the edge off. Was still constant, manageable pain until surgery.
Same spot for me. My original herniation was Right side L4/L5 in 2015. I imagine it's the same thing. Right now its manageable, but I can't run or put my dick on my right foot. Worst part is sitting for more than a few minutes and trying to stand up. Still skiing, but it sucks getting off the chair lift at times.

Would you feel comfortable hiking with 15-20lbs in a pack at this point or does that feel like a ways off? If i do this my goal would be April surgery and ready to get out day hiking by mid June with serious backpacking by August? Does that seem reasonable with your results so far?

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Same spot for me. My original herniation was Right side L4/L5 in 2015. I imagine it's the same thing. Right now its manageable, but I can't run or put my dick on my right foot. Worst part is sitting for more than a few minutes and trying to stand up. Still skiing, but it sucks getting off the chair lift at times.

Would you feel comfortable hiking with 15-20lbs in a pack at this point or does that feel like a ways off? If i do this my goal would be April surgery and ready to get out day hiking by mid June with serious backpacking by August? Does that seem reasonable with your results so far?
You’ve got to be ready to pack out an elk in September.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Jeez this board is old and falling apart!*

world of warcraft legion GIF

My warranty ran out at 40 and my check engine light came on at 50.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Been fighting a torn rotator cuff for a couple of years. Finally going to get it fixed next week. All indications are that it is a slow painful recovery. Anyone had this surgery and can give me the straight, no BS, good or bad on recovery? I was told that I can be close to normal in 3 months. No doubt that mileage may vary depending on individual circumstances. In my case they plan to fix it arthroscopicly. I hope that works. Tendon is torn loose from the bone. Thanks in advance for any shared experiences.

Best advice I can give is Don't Put It Off. I waited and dealt with the pain for about 4 years. When the Dr. got in there, the rotator cuff was gone. Just shreds, I have pics of the inside before and after. They had to use a cadaver cuff. Unfortunately the donor wasn't a major league pitcher so no new career. I actually lost the use of some of the muscles in my my right arm. Good luck. Do exactly what they tell you.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Surgeon says the plan is to be able to try out for an NFL team at 8 weeks. They want you to start walking immediately, like, the next day. Up to 2 miles as soon as possible. But, you also aren't supposed to lift more than 10 lbs. But I could certainly do a hike right now, for sure, but I'm not chancing anything like that for a few more weeks. The pain is still fresh on my mind.

You'll know when you need surgery when YOU call up the surgeon and say schedule it buddy, 17 the cost, anytime anyplace. MRI will show herniations as most people have those or degenerative discs to some degree or another, so it's going to be up to you and your pain level.

But the answer to your question is probably yes. Much of it has to do with the shape you are in now, i.e. before the injury, and any weight gain you might have. Weight gain during Rona is what got me.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I think because I used to throw both complete overhand and 3/4 during my baseball years that my right shoulder pops evertime I push straight up to do something. I'm sure if it's from baseball, it's due to the complete overhand hand throws I made. I have no pain from it; just a pop everytime I lift my right arm straight up. Anybody know anything about that?

kphall11

Apr 8, 2013
I had a torn labrum and torn rotator cup surgery my senior year of high school in December and was back playing tennis my senior year but had to slowly ease my way back in to it, but like others have said my serve has never come back like it used to before the surgery. Rehab was tough but I was also trying to get back to playing tennis and not missing my senior year because we had a legit shot to win state.

I also still have trouble doing shoulder lifts and don’t push it like I used to and it still feels tight at times. Feel like my range of motion isn’t as good as it used to be either.

Reactions: patdog

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Dr. Scott Jones doing mine too. I do have the recliner and have been told that I will be sleeping there for awhile.
DR. Jones did my knee, last March. Probably going to need to do the other knee. I will go back to Dr. Jones.
They are right about the meds., and stool stuff.
Good Luck.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I think because I used to throw both complete overhand and 3/4 during my baseball years that my right shoulder pops evertime I push straight up to do something. I'm sure if it's from baseball, it's due to the complete overhand hand throws I made. I have no pain from it; just a pop everytime I lift my right arm straight up. Anybody know anything about that?
I had that also. You have a bone spur or a calcium deposit on your shoulder joint cup. You bicep tendon is sliding over the obstruction and popping. Kinda like a guitar string. It doesn’t cause pain because there Are no nerves in the tendon. It will eventually wear the tendon in two and then it will become inflamed and hurt. Bicep tendon relocation surgery. If the tendon isn’t too frayed they can go in and smooth the spur to stop the pop.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Been fighting a torn rotator cuff for a couple of years. Finally going to get it fixed next week. All indications are that it is a slow painful recovery. Anyone had this surgery and can give me the straight, no BS, good or bad on recovery? I was told that I can be close to normal in 3 months. No doubt that mileage may vary depending on individual circumstances. In my case they plan to fix it arthroscopicly. I hope that works. Tendon is torn loose from the bone. Thanks in advance for any shared experiences.
How do you feel about 'the stranger'?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I had that also. You have a bone spur or a calcium deposit on your shoulder joint cup. You bicep tendon is sliding over the obstruction and popping. Kinda like a guitar string. It doesn’t cause pain because there Are no nerves in the tendon. It will eventually wear the tendon in two and then it will become inflamed and hurt. Bicep tendon relocation surgery. If the tendon isn’t too frayed they can go in and smooth the spur to stop the pop.
Think you got it playing ball? And if so, was it due to throwing overhanded?

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Yea and it’s worse the longer you wait to have surgery. Age is a factor. I’ve had knee, back, shoulder and elbow surgeries. The shoulder was by far the most intense pain and the longest recovery.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Think you got it playing ball? And if so, was it due to throwing overhanded?
Didn’t play ball past the 10th grade. Doc said it was repetitive motion over my head. I’m 5’8” and worked in and around warehouses all my life. Everything was above my head.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ll make another suggestion. Start taking Ostio Biflex. Dr recommend this as well as a couple of people I know who have had joint surgeries or replacements. It may be psychological but it seem to help with the pain and inflammation. I can run out and put off buying another bottle and it seems that soreness and tightness always follows until I start taking it again. It may be psychosomatic but as long as it makes me feel better I’m going to keep taking it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’ll make another suggestion. Start taking Ostio Biflex. Dr recommend this as well as a couple of people I know who have had joint surgeries or replacements. It may be psychological but it seem to help with the pain and inflammation. I can run out and put off buying another bottle and it seems that soreness and tightness always follows until I start taking it again. It may be psychosomatic but as long as it makes me feel better I’m going to keep taking it.
Be careful with these supplements. Any benefits are questionable and there are potential side effects that could be worse than any benefit you might get. For example, the glucosamine can raise your blood sugar levels. Also, the supplement market is completely unregulated. Many products don't contain what they say they do, and some contain some pretty bad ingredients. You might get some level of comfort if it has the USP Seal on the label.

Last edited:

Sapsdawg

Nov 15, 2005
Had the surgery May 23, 2022. Will never forget the day. Had to have bicep reattached too. Find out what dose of pain med you are getting and what is the max dose. Do NOT let the nerve block give you a false sense of confidence. You will feel great all day until around 9 or 10:00 at night. I would suggest taking the max dose of pain med at 8 pm and every 4 or 6 hours thereafter depending on what they tell you. The first week is about the worst level of pain you will ever feel. Go ahead and nest....fix pillows and blankets in a chair, set up your phone charger, get remotes, etc. You will be sleeping in a chair sitting straight up for at least 3 weeks. You will slowly get to work your way to laying down. It will take about 4 weeks to sleep laying down. When you do, get a big pillow and drape arm over it because it leaves that joint in a comfortable open spot. Early range of motion is the best. I was doing PT 2 days after surgery which was no more really than putting arms on a table and walking backwards until they were straight and then pushing a towel across a table. Early motion is key. A lot of doctors think you don't do it for 6 weeks, but that has a high incidence of frozen shoulder. You will feel a lot better after 2 weeks, but the pain stays with you for 6-9 months. I started working with light weights again (supervised) after 6-8 weeks and now workout without restriction.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
You guys are making me dread this thing bad. I wanted it straight and I knew that is what I would get from SPS. The comments have pretty much confirmed what I already expected. I appreciate all of the good advice and I have been taking notes. Ready to get this over with next Wednesday and get started on the road back to normal. Whatever that is. Thanks to everyone that has shared their experiences and what they learned along the way. I was surprised that so many people have had this same issue. Did not realize it was that common. Thanks again.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
One more thing, while you’re trapped in that recliner, I suggest not watching porn and eating Cheetos at the same time. Being constipated and having an orange pecker is a miserable place to be!

patdog

May 28, 2007
You guys are making me dread this thing bad. I wanted it straight and I knew that is what I would get from SPS. The comments have pretty much confirmed what I already expected. I appreciate all of the good advice and I have been taking notes. Ready to get this over with next Wednesday and get started on the road back to normal. Whatever that is. Thanks to everyone that has shared their experiences and what they learned along the way. I was surprised that so many people have had this same issue. Did not realize it was that common. Thanks again.
It's bad, but it's not that bad. The first week is pretty rough. But after that, it's just a very slow rehabilitation. If your rehab is painful, your PT isn't doing it right and putting you at risk of reinjuring it. If tearing my rotator cuff is the worst thing that happens to me, I'm one lucky guy.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Had the surgery May 23, 2022. Will never forget the day. Had to have bicep reattached too. Find out what dose of pain med you are getting and what is the max dose. Do NOT let the nerve block give you a false sense of confidence. You will feel great all day until around 9 or 10:00 at night. I would suggest taking the max dose of pain med at 8 pm and every 4 or 6 hours thereafter depending on what they tell you. The first week is about the worst level of pain you will ever feel. Go ahead and nest....fix pillows and blankets in a chair, set up your phone charger, get remotes, etc. You will be sleeping in a chair sitting straight up for at least 3 weeks. You will slowly get to work your way to laying down. It will take about 4 weeks to sleep laying down. When you do, get a big pillow and drape arm over it because it leaves that joint in a comfortable open spot. Early range of motion is the best. I was doing PT 2 days after surgery which was no more really than putting arms on a table and walking backwards until they were straight and then pushing a towel across a table. Early motion is key. A lot of doctors think you don't do it for 6 weeks, but that has a high incidence of frozen shoulder. You will feel a lot better after 2 weeks, but the pain stays with you for 6-9 months. I started working with light weights again (supervised) after 6-8 weeks and now workout without restriction.
This is great advice. Another thing I did was buy a 4” memory foam mattress topper and formed it to my chair. Like Saps said, you’ll be sleeping in a chair for a while. Get it comfortable.

Jul 5, 2020
How did your RC procedure turn out?

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
How did your RC procedure turn out?
Hey FRD, thanks for asking. Had the surgery 7 weeks ago and in the middle of doing all the physical therapy that goes with it. Rotator cuff was torn pretty bad. They put in 2 anchor screws to keep it in place. Also the top end of my bicep was shredded badly so that they cut it off and screwed it back in place a little lower down on my arm bone. Therapy sessions at home 3 times a day and at the PT center twice a week. Therapy sessions have not been for the feint of heart but I see slow progress every week. Just in the last week have I started to feel like I am really going to get back to normal. Can’t pick up anything heavier than a tube of toothpaste now but expect the pace of progress to pick up as time goes on. Should be pretty functional at the 6 month mark and 100 percent back to normal in 9 to 12 months. Stated going back to the ymca a few days ago just to get a little cardio on a treadmill. I put up with it for a couple of years but it was just slowly getting worse and worse so I am glad that I got it fixed. It was never going to get better on its own. Felt good enough this afternoon that I actually started to miss my spring fishing and turkey hunting that I had to skip this year. Thanks again for asking. I really do appreciate it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Hey FRD, thanks for asking. Had the surgery 7 weeks ago and in the middle of doing all the physical therapy that goes with it. Rotator cuff was torn pretty bad. They put in 2 anchor screws to keep it in place. Also the top end of my bicep was shredded badly so that they cut it off and screwed it back in place a little lower down on my arm bone. Therapy sessions at home 3 times a day and at the PT center twice a week. Therapy sessions have not been for the feint of heart but I see slow progress every week. Just in the last week have I started to feel like I am really going to get back to normal. Can’t pick up anything heavier than a tube of toothpaste now but expect the pace of progress to pick up as time goes on. Should be pretty functional at the 6 month mark and 100 percent back to normal in 9 to 12 months. Stated going back to the ymca a few days ago just to get a little cardio on a treadmill. I put up with it for a couple of years but it was just slowly getting worse and worse so I am glad that I got it fixed. It was never going to get better on its own. Felt good enough this afternoon that I actually started to miss my spring fishing and turkey hunting that I had to skip this year. Thanks again for asking. I really do appreciate it.
Hang in there. Sounds like you had it a little worse than either of my surgeries. It’s a slow process, but you’re on the right track. Keep working the rehab & listen to your body. Soreness is ok, but if you’re feeling pain, take a few days off.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Hang in there. Sounds like you had it a little worse than either of my surgeries. It’s a slow process, but you’re on the right track. Keep working the rehab & listen to your body. Soreness is ok, but if you’re feeling pain, take a few days off.
Thanks patdog. I am very diligent in doing exactly what they tell me to do. Takes about 30 minutes 3 times a day. Fine line between pushing it and over doing it. I have pushed it a little too hard a couple of times and each time it set me back 2-3 days. Your advice is very sound. Thank you.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I Will say that while I have been sitting around recovering I have watched a lot of the old cowboy shows, which I enjoy. Gunsmoke, Bonanza, the Big Valley, etc. those guys are constantly getting shot in the shoulder. They just say, the bullet went clean through so I am ok. Then they jump on their horse and go racing off after the bad guys. I now know that is 100 percent total BS. Anyone shot through the shoulder is going to need at least 2-3 days to recover………

Aug 24, 2012
Thank you for this thread pilgrimdawg! I just had my Rotator Cuff Surgery today.
I’m not exactly sure what happened to my nerve block, but I woke up in recovery thrashing in pain. The pain meds are helping now, for the first six hours after surgery was the worst pain I’ve ever experienced. I’m encouraged by everyone’s progress because I could not continue to live in the pain.

ETA: Can we blame IMPP’s NSFW posts on our rotator cuff damage?

Last edited:

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Thank you for this thread pilgrimdawg! I just had my Rotator Cuff Surgery today.
I’m not exactly sure what happened to my nerve block, but I woke up in recovery thrashing in pain. The pain meds are helping now, for the first six hours after surgery was the worst pain I’ve ever experienced. I’m encouraged by everyone’s progress because I could not continue to live in the pain.

ETA: Can we blame IMPP’s NSFW posts on our rotator cuff damage?
Not gonna answer that edit question. 😆 seriously, it does get better but you might as well get comfortable in your recliner and just hang on for a few weeks. Don’t skip the PT but don’t over do it either. Send me a PM if you want to talk sometime. I’ll be glad to share anything that I have run into and the things that I have learned along the way that might be helpful to you. You will be so proud when you can put your socks and shoes on again and can only imagine the day that you can once again tie the laces.

Jul 5, 2020
That's great, man. Sounds like you're through the toughest part and your PT folks have been helpful; that's always a crapshoot. How is raising your arm above 90 degrees?

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
That's great, man. Sounds like you're through the toughest part and your PT folks have been helpful; that's always a crapshoot. How is raising your arm above 90 degrees?
Range of motion has been above expectations of the PT guy. When standing I can get just past 90 degrees currently. Can’t believe how weak I am. It’s improving steadily though.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login