Tough day for many in N. Miss... Lane Furniture shuttered operations

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Sounds like a WARN act violation to me.........In mass layoff situations you're supposed to give a minimum of 60 days notice.........That didn't happen here........

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Sounds like a WARN act violation to me.........In mass layoff situations you're supposed to give a minimum of 60 days notice.........That didn't happen here........
Not sure that applies since the entire company closed and reportably due to not being able to obtain capital.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Not sure that applies since the entire company closed and reportably due to not being able to obtain capital.
Yes, it sounds like the whole thing went under. No benefits for employees starting today either.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Think this has been in the making for quite some time. They had asked for terms extensions from vendors which raised flags. There are also rumors of a material financial statement issue. I doubt this is the end of the story.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
As a fan of irony I must post this image, but as someone who has friends in the furniture industry in NMiss I am saddened by the situation. One Lane train has definitely derailed now let's hope for the other to explode into a heaping pile of ****.

Screenshot_20221122-100947.png

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I wonder if Ashley will buy any of their assets?
Doubtful. Someone will buy the Lane name but that wasn't Lane Furniture, United Furniture bought the name several years ago. United and Ashley aren't really competitors. Very different clients and business models.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Think this has been in the making for quite some time. They had asked for terms extensions from vendors which raised flags. There are also rumors of a material financial statement issue. I doubt this is the end of the story.

They probably had exposure to some floating rate debt, or else needed to roll over some fixed rate date coming to term and couldn't make it with the new interest rates. Kind of surprising you aren't seeing more layoffs already from leveraged companies seeing their cost of debt explode.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
They probably had exposure to some floating rate debt, or else needed to roll over some fixed rate date coming to term and couldn't make it with the new interest rates. Kind of surprising you aren't seeing more layoffs already from leveraged companies seeing their cost of debt explode.

It's coming. And when it comes, it won't be a trickle.

It's going to be very painful for many, but we have to pay the piper at some point. That point is now here.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login