Transfer portal BB

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
“Alright, Gaut, since we’ve got no pitching coaching, our game plan depends on you getting these guys to score 25+ runs a game. Sound good? Good.”

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe State should just try to sign a boatload of hitters. It's apparent we are dead in the water on pitchers or a pitching coach. If we score 26 runs a game we might could win a few. Looks like our only option to me. Or just suck 3 years in a row
Placing this here for everyone's convenience. Just right click and hit "Save as..." for quick access.

waterboy-we.gif

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We can probably slug our way to a regional, maybe a super. But doubt we can make it to Omaha with bad pitching.

There’s definitely more injury risk to be considered when spending nil money on pitchers

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
How many pitchers do you need to make it to make it to and win at Omaha? We basically pitched 5-6 pitchers in Regionals, Super Regional and Omaha.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We can probably slug our way to a regional, maybe a super. But doubt we can make it to Omaha with bad pitching.

There’s definitely more injury risk to be considered when spending nil money on pitchers
If there's anything I've learned, we absolutely cannot slug our way to anything. Hardly anybody can. Without COMPETENT (doesn't have to be elite) starting pitching, you literally have no chance.

Then hitting.

Then bullpen.

That's how the equation goes.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If there's anything I've learned, we absolutely cannot slug our way to anything. Hardly anybody can. Without COMPETENT (doesn't have to be elite) starting pitching, you literally have no chance.

Then hitting.

Then bullpen.

and somewhere less than 28 errors between 2 part time starters on the left side of the infield which has been partially handled by the portal but not re-filled by the portal either. SS is ok but that's still 2 roster spots to fill again w/ competence hopefully. Loading the bases up partially or fully w/ walks and HBP and then booting a throw to 1st base or not getting the lead at 2nd base was a back breaker this season

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
and somewhere less than 28 errors between 2 part time starters on the left side of the infield which has been partially handled by the portal but not re-filled by the portal either. SS is ok but that's still 2 roster spots to fill again w/ competence hopefully. Loading the bases up or partially or fully w/ walks and HBP and then booting a throw to 1st base or not getting the lead at 2nd base was a back breaker this season
Fielding is down there by bullpen. That's pretty much been born out by statistics over time. That said, the distance between all these things is closer nowadays in college, because of the balls and the trackman rating. And.....they still do use metal bats, even if it's not gorilla ball era.

Has everybody just given up on Hujsak? He can play 3B and won't be any worse than Alford. He was VCU's starting SS, so not sure why we think he can't get it done here. The only reason the fielding shows up so bad is because everything else before that also sucked. And it's visible. But theoretically it's less important. So honestly, a 3Bman should be down our list of portal wants behind pitchers.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Y’all know that scene in Breaking Bad when Hank looks up at Walt and says… Walt, you’re the smartest guy I ever met, and you’re too stupid to realize he made up his mind ten minutes ago?

Some of y’all still haven’t recognized that we made up our minds to suck again nearly a month ago

patdog

May 28, 2007
Fielding is down there by bullpen. That's pretty much been born out by statistics over time. That said, the distance between all these things is closer nowadays in college, because of the balls and the trackman rating. And.....they still do use metal bats, even if it's not gorilla ball era.

Has everybody just given up on Hujsak? He can play 3B and won't be any worse than Alford. He was VCU's starting SS, so not sure why we think he can't get it done here. The only reason the fielding shows up so bad is because everything else before that also sucked. And it's visible. But theoretically it's less important. So honestly, a 3Bman should be down our list of portal wants behind pitchers.
A quick look at stats shows Hujsak not much better at .882. Of course, that’s in very limited play. Biggest surprise was Mershon not really any better than Forsythe in the field. You’re right though. We need pitchers, pitchers, pitchers. And a pitching coach.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Y’all know that scene in Breaking Bad when Hank looks up at Walt and says… Walt, you’re the smartest guy I ever met, and you’re too stupid to realize he made up his mind ten minutes ago?

Some of y’all still haven’t recognized that we made up our minds to suck again nearly a month ago
Yep. We made a decision to write next year off to save a few bucks. It’s early but Selmon looking like Larry Templeton II.

Reactions: josebrown

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Yep. We made a decision to write next year off to save a few bucks. It’s early but Selmon looking like Larry Templeton II.
And if we’re being honest, we were most likely going to suck again next year regardless. What crushes me, however, is that I feel like we may have just sealed our fate for a couple more seasons beyond next year

This feels a whole lot like the end of the JWS era in more than one way

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I'm interested to see who gets this right. I see us pulling a 2016. I think for the most part, we have the players on campus to get that done.

A lot of similarities to that year. Dakota Hudson comes out of left field to be an ace, after sucking for two years. We have to find a pitching coach at a weird time because Butch left for Auburn at a bad moment, so our fans thought we were settling with the DBU assistant, ole stumpy the arm killa himself Wes Johnson. He don't care about arm health but I'll give it to him, the guy could make pitchers better. Plus, obviously we had sucked. AND, that team was full of "a bunch of pussies", from a person on that team. So it can be done.

We did have transfer help though - namely Kruger, Lowe and Rigby. So there's the big issue. I remember Cohen saying that his first stop after the 2015 season ended at Tennessee was Nate Lowe's house in Atlanta on the way back.

I just don't think it's possible that we suck 3 years in a row. Law of averages just says we are going to have kids grow up.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
A quick look at stats shows Hujsak not much better at .882. Of course, that’s in very limited play. Biggest surprise was Mershon not really any better than Forsythe in the field. You’re right though. We need pitchers, pitchers, pitchers. And a pitching coach.
I'm the minority but I really wish we had kept Forsythe on campus.

For as much as I say to give Lemonis one more year, I really don't agree with a lot of things he does. I'm very skeptical of his strategies. I'm more of a Cohen type guy I think, rather than a team full of launch angle bashers. But, much like the air raid, I was willing to give it a shot. If we suck next year, we know what we need to get back to.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Disappointment is the term for what's going on with baseball. Can't hire a coach, can't hit the portal, can't get better. I don't think most people even know of all the problems in our problem. It's more than you think.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I'm interested to see who gets this right. I see us pulling a 2016. I think for the most part, we have the players on campus to get that done.

A lot of similarities to that year. Dakota Hudson comes out of left field to be an ace, after sucking for two years. We have to find a pitching coach at a weird time because Butch left for Auburn at a bad moment, so our fans thought we were settling with the DBU assistant, ole stumpy the arm killa himself Wes Johnson. He don't care about arm health but I'll give it to him, the guy could make pitchers better. Plus, obviously we had sucked. AND, that team was full of "a bunch of pussies", from a person on that team. So it can be done.

We did have transfer help though - namely Kruger, Lowe and Rigby. So there's the big issue. I remember Cohen saying that his first stop after the 2015 season ended at Tennessee was Nate Lowe's house in Atlanta on the way back.

I just don't think it's possible that we suck 3 years in a row. Law of averages just says we are going to have kids grow up.
I gave you a thumb just for pluck and imagination. Here's to you being right.

always look on the bright side.gif

Reactions: patdog

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
“Alright, Gaut, since we’ve got no pitching coaching, our game plan depends on you getting these guys to score 25+ runs a game. Sound good? Good.”
That means we will have to keep our walks allowed and hbp total to below 30. Not an easy feat. **

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

All I can say is that I hope you're right, Goat. Needless to say, it's going to take some kind of miraculous turnaround to make it happen, and I personally wouldn't trust Lemonis enough right now to water my plants during a getaway weekend much less turn this ship around. That said, I fully agree that you have to be a special kind of incompetent coach to keep State in the cellar three years in a row. Time will tell if Lemonis fits the bill

kired

Aug 22, 2008

Then hitting.

Then bullpen.

You absolutely can slug your way to the postseason. How would you rank Texas A&Ms pitching this year? They were as bad as anyone in the SEC other than us. Came within 1 win vs Stanford from making a super. You can make it but aren’t going to go far on hitting alone.

I’d probably rank bullpen and starting pitching equally. Bednar was the only starter we had who performed worth a crap in the postseason. Harding had a couple of good games but really wasn’t even a starter till Fritsoe and MacLeod melted down. We’d have never had the run we did without Bednar, but same could be said for Sims and Preston Johnson (we lose the first ND game without him). The Virginia game took practically our entire bullpen to win.

We can probably pick up a couple of portal guys who make a difference but we’ve got to develop a few ourselves too. That’s where Foxhall was failing miserably

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login