Transfer Portal + NIL = bad news for MSU

forestdepth

Feb 20, 2018
Imagine Bracky Brett trying to navigate through all of this. Dude isn’t even an attorney. Just some good ole boy that taught high school in Mississippi. Ridiculous.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Convince me I'm wrong. I'll hang up and listen.

If something happens that shows us it’s bad news then I’ll worry… until then, I maintain you guys are blowing NIL out of proportion. If we have another guy good enough for big NIL money, like another Dak, I feel like he will get some advertising dollars locally.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I really can't see NIL meaningfully applying to very many athletes at Mississippi State. A very few football players, a very few men's basketball players and a very few baseball players.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
NIL is irrelevant. With the portal/no sit rule kids are gonna get paid one way or the other

forestdepth

Feb 20, 2018
NIL deals aren’t just going to be for generational type players and the admin needs to get in front of it but I’m afraid it’s too late. I’m sure Bracky has a strategy and an action plan put together to start taking advantage of this.**

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Name all the 5 star guys we sign. Because we don't anyway. And those are the guys getting the meaningful money.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Total hypothetical...do you think we sign Simmons or Jones in today's climate?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Exactly. Call me chicken little, but I think this is going to make it really hard for us to keep the instate 5 star guys.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Posts like this prove that you have absolutely clue who the real movers and shakers are, or what they do.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012

Yep. Both could've signed for money with other schools then too. You guys act like it wasn't already happening. Nothing has changed. Ts just in the open more now.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
NIL is just a legal way to close the deal. ha ha

Looks like some programs have fully embaced it,

The rest lose out.

Let's get real here.

The portal is for those that are not content, Things are not working out like they were told.

Minor league situation here. Team loyality is completely gone from the plan.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's early, but so far it's been a net plus for us. I'm sure it hinders our chances of signing 5* players, but how many of those have we signed anyway.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
NIL is I suspect, but not sure about the portal although the big names should be thought of as free agents now. A&M has a Top 10 endowment nationally (tax free) and tons of money for football. They can easily promise all recruits $50 grand and more to their top recruits. Not sure how we compete with that. I suspect they'll make a move for C. Williams. As with so many other things in this country, money matters. We should all be used to that by now.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Name all the 5 star guys we sign. Because we don't anyway. And those are the guys getting the meaningful money.

The problem isn’t losing 5 star guys to Bama and UGA. It’s losing 4-star and high 3-star guys that we truly want to South Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky, and others. None of those schools have any sort of an advantage over us in terms of history and results over the past 10-15 years or so. But they all have a 17 ton more money than we do. It’s already started, too. Look at what just happened with Stone Blanton.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

What about the guys that ball out as freshmen? There will be guys we have that are surprisingly good that decide they don’t want to wait until the nfl to get paid.

Big thing we have going for us is that our system is going to make it hard for any freshmen or Even sophomores on offense to really generate the attention to get money to transfer. Won’t likely be in the position Oklahoma is in, where we have to get big money together to keep our freshman qb.

Not sure if there will be the same incentives for defensive players.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
For NIL, I think there are only two options for a school like State. It’ll either be negligible impact or it will hurt. So far, we’re pretty much right where we’ve always been with recruiting, so I’m not ready to jump off a Cliff yet. I’m in wait and see mode.

The portal is the one I’m much more concerned about. Schools like us don’t sign many guys that are ready to come in and play SEC ball within a year of signing, and we just can’t afford to have to constantly start over at key positions while our depth is gutted year after year. Granted, a lot of our current depth issue is still lingering from the dismissals and transfers during Leach’s first year, but the portal certainly doesn’t help matters. It isn’t going anywhere, but I’d like the immediate eligibility waiver to be scaled back in a hurry

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Keep them? We rarely get them thanks to Saban's boosters

Exactly. Call me chicken little, but I think this is going to make it really hard for us to keep the instate 5 star guys.

For South MS you can add LSU's boosters.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
It's the combination of the 2 will create a legit free agency period.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If something happens that shows us it’s bad news then I’ll worry… until then, I maintain you guys are blowing NIL out of proportion. If we have another guy good enough for big NIL money, like another Dak, I feel like he will get some advertising dollars locally.

The only NIL deals that will kill us are going to be on guys we were not going to sign anyways. I am not worried about it. We still had a top 25 recruiting class. About where we were before NIL. The only school that got hurt was Clemson. Their recruiting fell off a bunch.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
This is the correct answer. And while the guys in the portal are getting attention, loyalty still prevails for the majority of players.

You want to go out and recruit a bunch of hired guns from other states? Well, you better expect that they are there for football, and not the name on the jersey.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Our "sweet spot" will be finding players the Bama's and Georgia's are paying to be subs who aren't getting the playing time they want/need. We'll still need to pay but may be able to get a discount and many of these guys will shine when given a chance. Kinda like real life ain't it ?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The problem isn’t losing 5 star guys to Bama and UGA. It’s losing 4-star and high 3-star guys that we truly want to South Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky, and others. None of those schools have any sort of an advantage over us in terms of history and results over the past 10-15 years or so. But they all have a 17 ton more money than we do. It’s already started, too. Look at what just happened with Stone Blanton.
That wasn't about money.

I can't stop you from being negative/angry about reality, but damn, at least get the facts right.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Our "sweet spot" will be finding players the Bama's and Georgia's are paying to be subs who aren't getting the playing time they want/need. We'll still need to pay but may be able to get a discount and many of these guys will shine when given a chance. Kinda like real life ain't it ?
You are correct on Bama/Georgia benchwarmers, but damn ya'll are overly negative when you think these guys are getting paid anything significant. Do you think we paid Tyrell Shavers or Scott Lashley? Or Marcus Banks for that matter. Hell no, the benefit of those guys is that you don't have to pay them, and I guarantee you a lot of those portal guys are going to find out the hard way.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
The fact of the matter is none of knows what the full effect of NIL will be and won't for a few years.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Will do. You ARE in fact chicken little. Of course, that is what emotional men do on message boards, so eh. Here are the recent high-level recruits (5 star level) in MS, I'm talking the super recruits that everyone wants, that we all know will start day one and succeed. I'm not talking piddly MSU/Ole Miss battles that Bama might offer as depth:

2022: None
2021: None
2020: None
2019: Nakobe Dean
2018: None
2017: Cam Akers
2016: Jeffrey Simmons
2015: None
2014: None
2013: None

3 guys in 10 years, and we got 1 of them, weren't even in the game with the other 2. And don't say Charles Cross, Chris Jones. Those guys came on late and weren't this super high level guys throughout the process. A number of other great players were 4 stars but just didn't have the hype of some of the others (AJ Brown, Jerrion Ealy).

And the only reason we got Simmons was because he was a big MSU guy at heart (as we found out later).

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Are these payments contractual and do they bind a kid to a school contractually? I can't imagine any of these kids being in a position to really understand what they are signing if they are contractual. If these contracts are/become 4 yr deals that bind a kid to a school, the transfer portal activity may change a bit. Admittedly, I have no idea how this is supposed to work.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
It is up to you to prove that it’s bad now, not for us to prove that it isn’t. State just signed a really good class so the evidence indicates that it isn’t hurting us so far.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I assume every contract is unique. I don't think there is any regulation to the structure. I'd personally bind the payments to the participation in rival games and bowl games.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
That wasn't about money.

I can't stop you from being negative/angry about reality, but damn, at least get the facts right.

Like you know what the facts are. A 4* MS kid that was committed to us turned down an opportunity to play two sports less than 2 hours away from home, with one of the two sports being one that we just won a national title and have the finest facilities in the country. And he did it to go to South Carolina of all places.

The fact is that it was about money, it always is to one extent or another. You are naive as all get out to think USCe doesn’t have an NIL package in place for him. Maybe we put together a package too, they were roughly equal, and he chose USCe anyway for some other reason. If so, the decision is still about money, because we weren’t able to put ourselves on an NIL pedestal to make it exactly about money and give him a deal he couldn’t refuse. And that’s the whole point. We don’t have the resources to fight this NIL battle on all fronts against practically every school in the conference for even non-elite players and be able to pull our fair share of talent. It’s going to be even more of an uphill battle than it already was.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Hey smooth brain, those data points are irrelevant since new regulations are in place.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Are these payments contractual and do they bind a kid to a school contractually? I can't imagine any of these kids being in a position to really understand what they are signing if they are contractual. If these contracts are/become 4 yr deals that bind a kid to a school, the transfer portal activity may change a bit. Admittedly, I have no idea how this is supposed to work.
No. It can't bind you to a school. You might piss some people off, but they can't do anything about it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It seems to me that if schools were really worried about the new opportunities for players they might consider offering four year scholarships instead of stringing kids along one year at a time.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

We could, but it would be at the expense of signing other good players in the class. It kind of was those two years anyway with Jones / Simmons, where we missed or never were in the game with a lot of other big targets. Would be even more pronounced now, though.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Like you know what the facts are. A 4* MS kid that was committed to us turned down an opportunity to play two sports less than 2 hours away from home, with one of the two sports being one that we just won a national title and have the finest facilities in the country. And he did it to go to South Carolina of all places.

The fact is that it was about money, it always is to one extent or another. You are naive as all get out to think USCe doesn’t have an NIL package in place for him. Maybe we put together a package too, they were roughly equal, and he chose USCe anyway for some other reason. If so, the decision is still about money, because we weren’t able to put ourselves on an NIL pedestal to make it exactly about money and give him a deal he couldn’t refuse. And that’s the whole point. We don’t have the resources to fight this NIL battle on all fronts against practically every school in the conference for even non-elite players and be able to pull our fair share of talent. It’s going to be even more of an uphill battle than it already was.
OK man. Power on.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I love how you discredit Jones and Cross as 5 stars. Your goalpost moving is getting lazier and lazier.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
It seems to me that if schools were really worried about the new opportunities for players they might consider offering four year scholarships instead of stringing kids along one year at a time.

That was eliminated at the P5 level a few years ago.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login