transitory / 40-year high / underreported

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You can debate whether it was right or wrong for Trump to pull out of the Paris Accords, or roll back numerous regulations, or make moves to gain energy independence, or cut taxes for small business owners. But what you can't debate is that those moves, among others, had an instant, immediate positive impact on the economy.

I have not said these didnt have immediate positive impacts on the economy. I am not going to argue that they didnt have immediate positive impacts on the economy.

I removed the rest of your post because its a rant that doesnt apply.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I mean, corporations *are* doing pretty well, right?

That's a mighty broad brush you're painting with. What percentage of corporations are evil? All of them? 90% of them? 50%? Let's try to scope this thing. Of the ones that aren't evil, how many of them are turning a profit, and how many of them are struggling?

Are box retail stores doing well? How are the airlines doing? How about supply chain companies? Auto dealers? We understand that pharma companies and insurance companies are killing it - because we're subsidizing them. Any insight on why corporations are shuttering and relocating to Texas and Florida in droves? I mean, I'd like to hear more about this.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm on a webinar tomorrow morning with a real estate data and research firm about 2022 residential real estate outlooks. I will make a post in early afternoon with what the forward indicators are looking like, but I can tell you from the builder/building materials side its looking a lot like last spring on new construction demand.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I have not said these didnt have immediate positive impacts on the economy. I am not going to argue that they didnt have immediate positive impacts on the economy.

I removed the rest of your post because its a rant that doesnt apply.

You literally said that results don't track in real time with what happens in the oval office. The economy took off like a rocket under Trump and we were all there to witness it. We also witnessed others dishonestly try to take credit for it. These aren't even debatable points.

The rest of the post was removed because you can't legitimately argue against any of it.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
That's a mighty broad brush you're painting with. What percentage of corporations are evil? All of them? 90% of them? 50%? Let's try to scope this thing. Of the ones that aren't evil, how many of them are turning a profit, and how many of them are struggling?

Are box retail stores doing well? How are the airlines doing? How about supply chain companies? Auto dealers? We understand that pharma companies and insurance companies are killing it - because we're subsidizing them. Any insight on why corporations are shuttering and relocating to Texas and Florida in droves? I mean, I'd like to hear more about this.

I'm not sure what you are going on about. The S&P 500 is up 24.5% in the last year. If you are making the case some businesses have not done this well - yes, of course. That's kind of always true.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
When can I get a low/no interest loan from the Feds and put it bank and draw 20% interest like they did in 70’s under Carter?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
This is correct. It's all you need to know. Funny you posted that. I follow Altos Research and their CEO just shared that exact chart. He says this spring buying season is going to be as crazy as last spring... I'm thinking it may be a little more geographic though. If you are in a high growth area (Nashville, Atlanta, Dallas, Austin) it will probably be quite a bit crazier than in other places.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
This is correct. It's all you need to know. Funny you posted that. I follow Altos Research and their CEO just shared that exact chart. He says this spring buying season is going to be as crazy as last spring... I'm thinking it may be a little more geographic though. If you are in a high growth area (Nashville, Atlanta, Dallas, Austin) it will probably be quite a bit crazier than in other places.

It may very well have been you who put me on Altos. They have some great insights.

Aug 22, 2012
Just remember when you're talking to me you're talking to someone who considered himself a liberal and never voted for Trump. But people like you is why I'm completely red-pilled.

Don't mistake that for vitriol either. I wish you the best. But you're a world-class moron if you don't see that the left has completely lost it's collective mind and we're reaping the whirlwind for what they've sown during the Trump years. It's not up for debate.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I'm not sure what you are going on about. The S&P 500 is up 24.5% in the last year. If you are making the case some businesses have not done this well - yes, of course. That's kind of always true.

Man, stop being dishonest. You know exactly what I'm talking about. You said "corporations are doing well." It's a common talking point from your side. Yes, some corporations are doing well. Some are doing very well, which is driving that S&P number. Many are not.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Lemme know who ran the House at this time.

The party that was so focused on a faux impeachment scandal that they quite literally grinded all legislative activity to a halt.

That said, you are trying to correct yourself because you forgot that dems had the house in 2018. It's obvious by your wording. That and the fact you've never blamed a democrat for anything in the time you've been posting here.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You literally said that results don't track in real time with what happens in the oval office. The economy took off like a rocket under Trump and we were all there to witness it. We also witnessed others dishonestly try to take credit for it. These aren't even debatable points.

The rest of the post was removed because you can't legitimately argue against any of it.

Correct, I did say that. Allow me to clarify.

There are policies that can create immediate change. There are policies that can create long gradual change.
In my first response, I was referring to the low prices, cheap gas, and food on shelves comments. Those things dont track in real time with who is in the Oval Office because they are heavily impacted by outside forces. Low prices are a result of many forces. Cheap gas existed before Trump and gas was crazy high under W. Food on shelves was an issue during Trump's term(as well as other shortages) and it isnt his fault nor is it Biden's fault that there are product shortages.
So in response to those examples, I mentioned how results dont track in real time. I apologize for not specifically saying 'those results dont always track in real time'.

Meanwhile, I fully recognize that some policies can have an immediate impact. And I both accept and recognize that some of Trump's policies did have an immediate impact.

I hope this helps clarify how two seemingly contradictory statements can in fact co-exist.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Big Box, Airline, Supply Chain - each % growth is for the last year. Any more stock quotes you need me to getchya?

Home Depot Inc 388.41 USD +112.08 (40.56%)

American Airlines Group Inc18.68 USD +3.30 (21.42%)

Cisco Systems Inc62.15 USD +16.36 (35.7%)

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Big Box, Airline, Supply Chain - each for the last year. Any more stock quotes you need me to getchya?

Home Depot Inc

388.41 USD +112.08 (40.56%)

American Airlines Group Inc18.68 USD +3.30 (21.42%)

Cisco Systems Inc62.15 USD +16.36 (35.7%)

You got those EBIDTA numbers handy?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm with Drebin on this. Pricing is a function of demand. And as an old commodity fart, you rack up the profits on the front end to cover losses on the back end. You have to raise prices to balance supply and demand until balance is achieved. I don't care if its oil, lumber, soybeans, dishwashers, or used cars. Eventually input costs are too high and your profits are cut back. The best companies (especially those with pricing power) manage this better.

Car dealers are a good example. All of these dealers that have been killing it on used cars while the chip shortages have stalled new production will eventually get stuck with high cost used cars that they have to sell at a loss. A bad dealer is going to load up too much and get whacked. A smart dealer is going to manage that rollover much leaner. But I can tell you, they all look like geniuses on the ride up.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The party that was so focused on a faux impeachment scandal that they quite literally grinded all legislative activity to a halt.

That said, you are trying to correct yourself because you forgot that dems had the house in 2018. It's obvious by your wording. That and the fact you've never blamed a democrat for anything in the time you've been posting here.

Are you serious with this? I posted the exact words I used in that post that show I was not blaming only Republicans(or Trump). I then mention it again in another post before you call me a hack.
I am well aware of who ran which area of government in 2020.

me at 1046- It will be unpopular, but its worth pointing out who all ran the Senate, House, and Executive Office in the summer of 2020.
me at 1124- I am for sure not blaming Trump exclusively. I mentioned the Executive, House, and Senate in that post.
you at 1134- You blamed Republicans exclusively, you dishonest hack.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The current inflation has very little to do with Biden or Trump. It's on the shutdown, which Trump was very hesitant to do, and stimulus which he was thrilled to do. Both would have never been on the table if not for coronavirus.

The truest thing in this thread. As I said earlier, plenty of blame to go around. Corona is the driving cause, and both parties have had an opportunity to mitigate impact. Expanded spending programs that get passed will just compound the issue. There's no fixing this anytime soon under existing policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login