Trey Lance to the Cowboys- should Dak be nervous?

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
You wouldn't think so, since Dak is considered a top 10 QB in the League.

However, never underestimate the idiocy of Jerry Jones.

Then again, if Dak gets traded to the Saints, it could be a win-win.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
At some point, he has to know no one is safe and no one can count on a job for life.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Honestly it's probably an attempt to pay Dak less. He's about to get a huge extension. He will but this may lower it 5%

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Probably no more than before. Many seem to think this is a do or die season for him.
Do or die how? To fill Cowboy fan's unrealistic fantasies or as an actual quality QB? If Jerry doesn't want him there's probably a dozen teams that would pay him good money to be a starter for them. There are better QBs but he's a solid performer that can lead an offense with decent pieces around him. That's a huge value in the NFL. Most QBs are trash when they get to that level.

Reactions: HRMSU

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Lance is a bust. Niners were idiotic giving up that much to draft him on just potential.

He got beat out by Sam “seeing ghosts” Darnold to be the backup to Purdy.

Certainly correct on the “bust” judgment, but man it sure went down differently than it has with just about any other top QB pick that didn’t work out. Kid plays his redshirt freshmen college season and shows out, COVID cancels his sophomore season, then he enters the draft and plays in 8 games as a rookie, gets named the starter as a 2nd year player, breaks ankle 2 games in, and that’s all she wrote. Still not sure how you go from being better than Jimmy G to being worse than Sam Darnold in just 365 days, but here we are.

Lance is now in his 6th year removed from high school, his 3rd in the NFL, and he’s only played in like 25 total football games in that time. He was ultimately a bust because he got drafted by a contending “win now” franchise that had no clear incumbent, and thus no time to give him the development he needed. Had he gone the Jordan Love path and been an understudy for 3-4 years, maybe it would have worked out differently.

He’s only 23 so its not too late for him to do that, but that 5th year option is going to make it difficult. The only way Jerry wins this trade is if he signs him to a long extension this season for something like 5 years / $50 million, and let him learn under Dak for at least 2-3 of those years before taking over later. But man, how big of a gamble would that be for a completely unproven player?

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Do or die how? To fill Cowboy fan's unrealistic fantasies or as an actual quality QB? If Jerry doesn't want him there's probably a dozen teams that would pay him good money to be a starter for them. There are better QBs but he's a solid performer that can lead an offense with decent pieces around him. That's a huge value in the NFL. Most QBs are trash when they get to that level.
Listening to the ******** Happytalk on 105.3, and they're trying to gaslight the fans into believing the Cowboys have the most talent since their last Super Bowl year.

My prediction- 8-8 going into Week 17, while needing to win while the Commanders lose to slip into the Wild Card.

• Haha
Reactions: HRMSU

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It's a business. It's a business that requires employees to be their best. All NFL QB's should be worried everyday they wake up.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'll believe Dak is the problem in Dallas when they replace him with someone else and make the NFC Championship Game for the first time since the 1995 season.
It would be best to listen to Stephen A.; he'll set you straight about Dak.

ETA- I'm still waiting on him to name all those wide receivers Dak had on the field last year that weren't injured and all about that great Rushing attack Dallas had.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
It would be best to listen to Stephen A.; he'll set you straight about Dak.

ETA- I'm still waiting on him to name all those wide receivers Dak had on the field last year that weren't injured and all about that great Rushing attack Dallas had.

Stephen A is a fucknut, a complete clown whose entire job is to be a hateful douchebag.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Wildcatter bet. Turn a 4th into something else...if not cut bait and it doesn't cost you much. Definitely not what the great front office of the Niners gave up to draft him!

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Dak should be about as worried about Trey Lance taking his job as I am about the possibility of Trey Lance taking my job.
At least half of Daks appeal is his merchandise haul for Jerry. He's also one of the few faces of the NFL. He'll start and be in the spotlight a while

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Wildcatter bet. Turn a 4th into something else...if not cut bait and it doesn't cost you much. Definitely not what the great front office of the Niners gave up to draft him!

Except its going to cost them a ton to not cut bait….almost immediately. $26 million total for 2024-2025 to be exact if they pick up the 5th year option which they have to decide on next spring. $6+ million and him walking in free agency in 2024 if they don’t, and either way he’s going to be riding the pine in 2023-2024, and either way the 4th round pick is gone.

Its like Jerruh was up late in bed one night still fantasizing about the awesomeness of the Charles Haley trade from 30 years ago, and decided he was going to do that again. I seriously believe that’s not too farfetched as far as the motivation.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Except its going to cost them a ton to not cut bait….almost immediately. $26 million total for 2024-2025 to be exact if they pick up the 5th year option which they have to decide on next spring. $6+ million and him walking in free agency in 2024 if they don’t, and either way he’s going to be riding the pine in 2023-2024, and either way the 4th round pick is gone.

Its like Jerruh was up late in bed one night still fantasizing about the awesomeness of the Charles Haley trade from 30 years ago, and decided he was going to do that again. I seriously believe that’s not too farfetched as far as the motivation.

Still nowhere near the s-show of giving up the picks that Niners gave up to bail on him so soon. Now if Jerah did that it would be a non-stop news cycle. Still think he could be future draft capital even if it frees us up to trade Cooper Rush.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
17 Jerry. He is just reminding me why I quit being a Cowboys fan in the first place. I'm a Dak fan but not really a Cowboys fan.
Yea, at some point you'd think JJ would figure out that talent evaluation isn't really his strong suit. Dak's the only one left from his class and everyone was a bust except for Elliot (Maliek Collins is starting for the Texans but never really improved past yr. 1 with the girls) Hell, Dak wasn't even Dallas' first selection in the fourth round. Have there been any Charles Tapper sightings lately?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Dak called the plays last night, and Grier looked like a phenom out there. There was an article today about how Dak spoke out about the Grier trade, and he said it’s hard to be surprised anymore.

He clowned Jerruh’s decision with his play calling last night. Seems like he was on the verge of clowning with his comments, too, but he kept his composure.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
You wouldn't think so, since Dak is considered a top 10 QB in the League.

However, never underestimate the idiocy of Jerry Jones.

Then again, if Dak gets traded to the Saints, it could be a win-win.
Dak needs to win games. He needs to get to the Superbowl. Anything short, his job is in jeopardy. That is the same for all QBs in the league.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Dak needs to win games. He needs to get to the Superbowl. Anything short, his job is in jeopardy. That is the same for all QBs in the league.
Romo played 9 seasons with an average QBR rating of 65. Never appeared in a Super Bowl.

Dak has a 98 QBR rating going and will play until he retires.

Reactions: eckie1
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login