Tush push or brotherly shove

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
What are your thoughts on this play that the eagles are so good at? I’ll admit I have not spent much time watching the eagles, so I have not cared one way or another. As a dolphins fan, I got a good dose of the tush push last night. Maybe it’s just sour grapes on my part right now but I hate the play.

What I can’t understand is why it’s ok for a group of offensive players to push a guy forward but a group of defensive players can’t push a back (and the player continue to lose yards). There were at least a couple times last night that the Hurts had stopped pushing himself forward, his feet were off the ground one play, but the push from those behind him got him the first down. I don’t like it, but I can accept that it’s sour grapes I suppose.

I will say I do like the term brotherly shove way better than the tush push. And you also have to give the eagles credit for consistently putting themselves in 4th and short to run the play.

Reactions: Maroon13

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I am in agreement. Something else I don't agree with is when an offense is on let say the five-yard line and they get called for a penalty it is only 2.5 yards but if the offense is on the five-yard line and the defense get called for a penalty the full yardage is marked off. I think when the offense gets called on the five or whatever the ball should be moved back as far as it can up to the goal line.

Reactions: Will Rogers.sixpack

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I am in agreement. Something else I don't agree with is when an offense is on let say the five-yard line and they get called for a penalty it is only 2.5 yards but if the offense is on the five-yard line and the defense get called for a penalty the full yardage is marked off. I think when the offense gets called on the five or whatever the ball should be moved back as far as it can up to the goal line.
Yeah, I’ve never understood the half the distance to the goal penalty… seems to essentially encourage a penalty in some instances. Should just enforce the penalty up to the 1, like you said.

Reactions: Ghostman

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I don't understand why the defense can't do the exact same thing. Push your defenders. That's all the offense is doing is pushing the LOS from behind.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
There was also at least one time where they didn’t even push bc they didn’t need to. The line was (and is) just so good at it. The eagles start every drive effectively at 1st and 8.5.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We should do it, but with our most powerful RB (providing he can hang on to the ball). 4 and 1 out of the shotgun should get a coach fired.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
What's wild to me is that they are the only ones doing it extremely effectively. I've seen others occasionally use it but not to the extent of the Eagles and certainly not as well. I can't remember which team it was that tried it and wound up having two guys injured on the play.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
What's wild to me is that they are the only ones doing it extremely effectively. I've seen others occasionally use it but not to the extent of the Eagles and certainly not as well. I can't remember which team it was that tried it and wound up having two guys injured on the play.
Like 8dog mentioned above, the eagles have a very good offensive line. Reality is, this would be a good QB sneak team regardless of this help from the push. But to your point, seems like any team with a good line should be able to do this. I think at this point teams may not invest the time to get good at it since it’s likely going to be banned in the offseason anyway.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Seems like if pulling the ball carrier is illegal, pushing them should also be illegal. Also seems like the idea of the sneak in the manner that some teams do it is no different than “leverage” with regards to kicking.

One of the attempts last night sure looked like at least 3 linemen from both teams were lined up in the neutral zone.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login