Two weeks from today Air Force lands at The Dude....

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
We still got any of that National Championship smell on us?

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
I'm ready to see how it shakes out. I think we could push for a Regional host if the pitching talent performs to their potential.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I like what Jordan and Hines can do back to back. I figure Parker will get the pitching right. I'm betting on a hosting year.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I'm ready to see how it shakes out. I think we could push for a Regional host if the pitching talent performs to their potential.
Man... I don't know...

2022.. DFL in SEC
2023.. 13th in SEC
2024.. Host?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Man... I don't know...

2022.. DFL in SEC
2023.. 13th in SEC
2024.. Host?
That set of data can just as easily be construed to say we had to rebuild and now are due for an up year. It's not like it doesn't happen all the time in the SEC and college baseball. It happened to us from 2013-2016. 2022 was 2014 except with injuries to our best 3-4 pitchers.

• Haha
Reactions: 17itdawg and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think expectations for this team need to be tempered a little. Making the tournament would be a good season. First 3 SEC series are #4 LSU, #8 A&M, and #2 Florida, then we play #6 Vandy later.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
That set of data can just as easily be construed to say we had to rebuild and now are due for an up year. It's not like it doesn't happen all the time in the SEC and college baseball. It happened to us from 2013-2016. 2022 was 2014 except with injuries to our best 3-4 pitchers.
If anybody ever questions your loyalty as a State fan you should show them this post.

Only One of Us would point to the fact that we just suffered two of the worst seasons in our history and use it as the reason to to be optimistic for the upcoming year.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm looking forward to baseball season. I think we will be much improved. How much ? I'm scared to guess. Pitching coach and pitchers seem to think they are much better but we all know how that goes. I'm trying not to buy the hype.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm looking forward to baseball season. I think we will be much improved. How much ? I'm scared to guess. Pitching coach and pitchers seem to think they are much better but we all know how that goes. I'm trying not to buy the hype.
We will be improved. But it's hard to see improving from 10th in SEC in runs scored, and giving up over 2 more runs per game than the 2nd worst pitching staff to hosting in just one season. Then again, it's hard to see going from national champions to dead 17ing last in just one season too, but both State and UM have done it the last 2 years.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If anybody ever questions your loyalty as a State fan you should show them this post.

Only One of Us would point to the fact that we just suffered two of the worst seasons in our history and use it as the reason to to be optimistic for the upcoming year.
THE worst two back-to-back seasons in our history. Literally. I checked.
Look I'm not trying to rain on the negativity parade. I'm just pointing out some evidence that shows why we could conceivably be a better team this season.

- We have a national championship coach;
- We have recruited well;
- We haven't had many runs like this.

Again, I often compare this run to 2013-2016. In 2021 we hit a peak after a multi-year pretty good run, just like 2013 (and 2011-2012 before that). 2014 we had some returning players that were good but didn't step up, just like 2022. Then add the catastrophic rash of pitching injuries and we tanked. But if people will actually remember reality, we were in decent position after we beat Ole Miss, then the stress from the injuries just piled on us. Then 2023 was rebuilding with some young guys like 2015 was. 2016 we went out and got a few difference makers and the young guys grew up, which is what we are hoping for this 2024 season.

And I don't think anybody can say 2022-2023 was worse than 2009-2010. It's silly to suggest that, overall and SEC records alone proves that isn't true. And even with that (2008 was bad too) 3-year run, we still made a regional in 2011. Bottom line, history simply does not suggest that we will suck yet again.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Least we don't have to face Paul Skenes on Friday. Would have been a bummer to lose our first game right off the bat. Of course, we could still accomplish that unfortunately.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Look I'm not trying to rain on the negativity parade. I'm just pointing out some evidence that shows why we could conceivably be a better team this season.

Again, I often compare this run to 2013-2016. In 2021 we hit a peak after a multi-year pretty good run, just like 2013 (and 2011-2012 before that). 2014 we had some returning players that were good but didn't step up, just like 2022. Then add the catastrophic rash of pitching injuries and we tanked. But if people will actually remember reality, we were in decent position after we beat Ole Miss, then the stress from the injuries just piled on us. Then 2023 was rebuilding with some young guys like 2015 was. 2016 we went out and got a few difference makers and the young guys grew up, which is what we are hoping for this 2024 season.

And I don't think anybody can say 2022-2023 was worse than 2009-2010. It's silly to suggest that, overall and SEC records alone proves that isn't true. And even with that (2008 was bad too) 3-year run, we still made a regional in 2011. Bottom line, history simply does not suggest that we will suck yet again.
I'm not saying we can't make a regional. At Mississippi State, pretty much any coach should be able to make a regional most years. In fact, my prediction is we'll be a bubble team either just in or just out. But a LOT of things have to all go right for us to be in contention to host. Experience tells me that that many things rarely all go right for us (or anyone).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm not saying we can't make a regional. At Mississippi State, pretty much any coach should be able to make a regional most years. In fact, my prediction is we'll be a bubble team either just in or just out. But a LOT of things have to all go right for us to be in contention to host. Experience tells me that that many things rarely all go right for us (or anyone).
Nowadays, if you don't lose more than 2 pitchers to TJ, you can consider yourself lucky. We've already lost one, but he was a freshman, so maybe it's minimized. We literally lost 3 significant contributors in 2022, arguably among our 4 best on the team, as it was shaking out. And of course that affects last year two with Simmons/Auger, and then add Kohn to it.

Speaking of that, I guess Kohn is likely out a good part of this year too. So we're right at 'normal'.

Reactions: patdog

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I think this team probably finishes around 15-15 in conference. Maybe a little better, maybe a little worse. In my opinion it's all going to come down to those first 3 weeks of conference play. If they can get through that opening 9 game stretch at least 3-6, I'll feel pretty good. Those first three series are 17ing tough. LSU at home, at UF, at A&M.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We act like our offense was an above average offense. It wasnt. And one of the best hitters on the team is gone. Sure Jordan and Hines are a good 1-2 punch, but nearly everyone in the league has that type punch.

We need to see a lot more than just improvement from our pitching staff this season.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Recruited well is relative. Every SEC team recruits well.

We missed out on all the big name targets in the portal. Thats a huge miss. Sure we got a few guys, but we missed out on top arms and bats that we knew could come in an make an immediate impact.

We are banking on incoming freshman and guys that have not performed to make improvements. Not impossible, but wish we only had to bank on 3-4 of those guys-- seems like we are banking on 10-12 of those.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We missed out on all the big name targets in the portal. Thats a huge miss. Sure we got a few guys, but we missed out on top arms and bats that we knew could come in an make an immediate impact.
I don't know how you even judge this. Most of the hitters we've gotten out of the portal have been good.

We've definitely missed on pitching. That Walling guy comes to mind.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I don't know how you even judge this. Most of the hitters we've gotten out of the portal have been good.

We've definitely missed on pitching. That Walling guy comes to mind.
Guess I should say the TOP hitters. We have had success getting solid Bats. Just not the Tommy Tanks of the world.

Texas AM got Montgomery, Tennesee got a stud from Clemson, We couldnt get Burns from Tennessee, Holman goes to LSU, amongst a few others.

Think our portal ranking was barely inside the top 25 and behind SEC schools of: UT, FLA, LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Arkansas and Auburn.

Maybe we got all we wanted and needed, but sure doesnt seem that way.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
I’ll be surprised if this team finishes 12-18 or better - I just don’t see it

very real chance this team is 3-6 or worse after 3 sec weekends

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Speaking of that, I guess Kohn is likely out a good part of this year too. So we're right at 'normal'.
Supposedly he's had a very good recovery and is further along than most people at this point post TJ. I think he'll be back by SEC play

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
very real chance this team is 3-6 or worse after 3 sec weekends
Considering 2 of those series are on the road, I think 3-6 after that stretch would be fine. The next 3 series are all very winnable (UGA, @OM & Auburn). As tough as our schedule is overall, our home schedule is very manageable. Just avoid getting swept in the road series and we should be fine.

Reactions: 17itdawg and patdog

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I can hardly wait for the first Lemonhead post!

So Excited Thumbs Up GIF by NETFLIX

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Considering 2 of those series are on the road, I think 3-6 after that stretch would be fine. The next 3 series are all very winnable (UGA, @OM & Auburn). As tough as our schedule is overall, our home schedule is very manageable. Just avoid getting swept in the road series and we should be fine.

Its a favorable schedule for the SEC. We dodge South Carolina and Tennessee from the East. Certainly not a bad thing.

Reactions: 17itdawg

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
IMG_9481.jpeg
Stream of consciousness prior to any games being played

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe we got all we wanted and needed, but sure doesnt seem that way.
This is the way I see it.

Offensively and defensively, I think we have a great nucleus of guys coming back. I think defensive liabilities are likely taken care of with a mix of Kohler, Cupp, Mershon and Larry across the infield. Pitching wise, we have a ton of second year guys who will make a jump, and brought in a couple of former starters, Ligon and dude from Purdue. I think the pieces are there. The sophomore class is legit.

As far as the those stud transfer guys, yeah, I mean we never get them anyway unless they have a tie to us, or at least I don't remember it. Seems like a few other SEC schools are always in the mix more than we are, whether it was Vandy, LSU and Florida in the previous era, and now Tennessee (I really hope Vitello leaves soon) and LSU now. LSU has always recruited a solid step above us.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm just ready to watch some baseball and hope for the best. I think we will be pretty decent and maybe we will get hot at the right time. As long as we don't go 1 and 8 it's all good

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
This is the way I see it.

Offensively and defensively, I think we have a great nucleus of guys coming back. I think defensive liabilities are likely taken care of with a mix of Kohler, Cupp, Mershon and Larry across the infield. Pitching wise, we have a ton of second year guys who will make a jump, and brought in a couple of former starters, Ligon and dude from Purdue. I think the pieces are there. The sophomore class is legit.

As far as the those stud transfer guys, yeah, I mean we never get them anyway unless they have a tie to us, or at least I don't remember it. Seems like a few other SEC schools are always in the mix more than we are, whether it was Vandy, LSU and Florida in the previous era, and now Tennessee (I really hope Vitello leaves soon) and LSU now. LSU has always recruited a solid step above us.

I dont buy it. I know for a fact we went hard after Holman and Montgomery and missed on both.

Great nucleus? Again maybe they'll improve, but i didnt see a list of guys that looked like SEC baseball players. Hines and Jordan yes. Larry hit 260 in SEC play last season and is below average defensively. Mershon who everyone loved is a 2b that needs to be hitting at the bottom of the order.

I could go on but people will think Im just negative.

End of the day, just because we bring people back.. doesnt mean we are bringing quality players back. We have people back that struggled badly vs the SEC or were average at best vs the SEC. We are HOPING that these guys improve.

Would have made way more sense to go land a few bigger fish in the portal and close some of these holes we have. I think we attempted too and missed..

Reactions: notYaBoy and patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I dont buy it. I know for a fact we went hard after Holman and Montgomery and missed on both.
Well of course we did, as did everybody else. Only one team can sign them. There's only a select few of these type guys. I look at it sort of like the top 5 can make a difference, then it gets average real quick. Then you just have to fill your gaps with what you can get.

I think DJ and Hines could be one of the best 1-2 punches we've ever had. Not quite T&L, but they could be Rowdy/TA with more power. I wish we'd put them in the 2-3 slots in the order rather than 3-4. Rest of the order is very solid.

So that really just leaves pitching, as usual. I would say that Parker is a proven coach, but so was Foxhall. Still not sure how that all went sideways.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Well of course we did, as did everybody else. Only one team can sign them. There's only a select few of these type guys. I look at it sort of like the top 5 can make a difference, then it gets average real quick. Then you just have to fill your gaps with what you can get.

I think DJ and Hines could be one of the best 1-2 punches we've ever had. Not quite T&L, but they could be Rowdy/TA with more power. I wish we'd put them in the 2-3 slots in the order rather than 3-4. Rest of the order is very solid.

So that really just leaves pitching, as usual. I would say that Parker is a proven coach, but so was Foxhall. Still not sure how that all went sideways.

I think 5 is cutting yourself pretty short, there were probably 10-15 guys that are going to make major impacts. LSU also got one of the best bats in the portal. Arkansas landed a legit SEC arm, again there are many more than just 5, but we didnt get any of them.

Point was..if we are ranked like 10th in the SEC in how we did in the portal and right around 25th in the country.. we didnt attack the portal or were successful in the portal as some other teams were... and we are banking on improvement from people I'm not sure were up to par to begin with.

An infield of Koehler, Cupp, Mershon/Larry-- is going to be SEC average at best-- AT BEST being the key word. And thats saying that cupp walks out as a true freshman and is More of a Jordan than a Highfill.

I totally agree on Hines/Jordan-- Problem is I dont see much talent to go around those guys. And remember, that just about every other SEC team is going to have a combo similar and some even will have a pair better or a stretch of 3-4 guys that can produce those type numbers

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I fully expect to spend every home baseball weekend sitting in right field, eating lots of pork, beef, & chicken fresh off the grill, drinking way too many adult beverages, bitching about this baseball team for the 3rd consecutive, & speculating about the names at the top of the hot list at seasons end.

I will be absolutely ecstatic though if this team & coaching staff gives me the opportunity spend the last few weekends of the season talking about seeding and asking Kendall repeatedly about chance to host.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

End of the day if we arent better than we were last year.. I'll be shocked. I think that team was severly mis-managed and frankly quit.

But I think we should have went hard after some portal guys. We went and got Purdues Sunday starter, Arkansas went out and got an ace. TxAm went and got Stanford's ace. We got a 2nd teamer from Memphis, LSU got a proven SEC commodity at 3rd and Alabama's best arm.

We are counting on a LOT of unproven guys. And if more are hits than misses we'll be fine... If not.. it'll look a lot like last year. With Jordan and Hines putting up big numbers and not much else.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think 5 is cutting yourself pretty short, there were probably 10-15 guys that are going to make major impacts. LSU also got one of the best bats in the portal. Arkansas landed a legit SEC arm, again there are many more than just 5, but we didnt get any of them.

Point was..if we are ranked like 10th in the SEC in how we did in the portal and right around 25th in the country.. we didnt attack the portal or were successful in the portal as some other teams were... and we are banking on improvement from people I'm not sure were up to par to begin with.

An infield of Koehler, Cupp, Mershon/Larry-- is going to be SEC average at best-- AT BEST being the key word. And thats saying that cupp walks out as a true freshman and is More of a Jordan than a Highfill.

I totally agree on Hines/Jordan-- Problem is I dont see much talent to go around those guys. And remember, that just about every other SEC team is going to have a combo similar and some even will have a pair better or a stretch of 3-4 guys that can produce those type numbers
Well we will see. Either we will get better or we will fire Lemonis (which would be the most Miss Stake thing to happen EVER - just behind winning the title and Ole Miss following it up while we missed the postseason). And when I say Miss Stake, not saying it would be a bad move (it's obvious he would need firing at that point), I'm saying it's just par for the course that our first natty-winning coach gets 17ing fired 3 years later. I mean what are the odds.

I don't agree that most SEC teams have a combo like DJ/Hines. If that's true, then they are not like Clark/Palmeiro or Rowdy/TA.

ETA: Kohler was not a 2nd teamer at Memphis, dude. He hit .330 from the 3-hole.

Reactions: HuntDawg

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
We still got any of that National Championship smell on us?
We do have a lingering smell but it ain't left over from the natty. I will say I was somewhat encouraged by Justin Parker's interview on T&L.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Well we will see. Either we will get better or we will fire Lemonis (which would be the most Miss Stake thing to happen EVER - just behind winning the title and Ole Miss following it up while we missed the postseason). And when I say Miss Stake, not saying it would be a bad move (it's obvious he would need firing at that point), I'm saying it's just par for the course that our first natty-winning coach gets 17ing fired 3 years later. I mean what are the odds.

I don't agree that most SEC teams have a combo like DJ/Hines. If that's true, then they are not like Clark/Palmeiro or Rowdy/TA.

ETA: Kohler was not a 2nd teamer at Memphis. He hit .330 dude.

I agree-- as i said in another post-- we should be better regardless. How good. We'll see.

Go look up what Florida had last season and what they have coming back. LSU has two guys that put up better numbers than both Hines and Jordan coming back. Georgia has a guy that put up better numbers than Jordan did as a freshman last season. Go look at what South carolina has back with Petry and Company. Go look at what Texas AM has returning and just added Montgomery and his numbers. Missouri has two animals back in the middle of their order, check out Tennessee and Arkansas while your at it.

Hines/Jordan werent even a top 5 combo last season in the SEC(Fla, LSU, SC, Georiga, Auburn, Ark, UT all were better and thats off the top of my head). There is going to be close to half the league that have similar fire-power this year.. some already have it returning and its proven to be as good or better.

2nd team All-conference at Memphis- Not second teamer on the actual team. Sorry for the mix up

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login