Two weeks from today Air Force lands at The Dude....

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
We fired the main reason for that…. We’ve had the offense to compete, but the pitching has been horrendous. We lost 2 huge defensive liabilities, as well.

It’s time for Lem to put up or shut up. No excuses this season…
I say if we make host a regional we still fire lem and hire parker.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog and eckie1

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
It's disheartening missing on so many top flight players especially after we demonstrate time and time again our fans show up to support the baseball team. What I'm left to believe is that while the Dude may be a big draw, Starkville most certainly is not. Don't know how else to explain it.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Go look up what Florida had last season and what they have coming back. LSU has two guys that put up better numbers than both Hines and Jordan coming back. Georgia has a guy that put up better numbers than Jordan did as a freshman last season. Go look at what South carolina has back with Petry and Company. Go look at what Texas AM has returning and just added Montgomery and his numbers. Missouri has two animals back in the middle of their order, check out Tennessee and Arkansas while your at it.
So - side point here.

I have long been a critic of Lemonis' crootin'. Basically, he's going after what I call the PG All-Americans, coddled travel-ballers that play nothing but baseball year round and go to showcases. Obviously all the superstar guys are in that group too, at least most of the ones we're talking about here that command NIL or whatever.

I would rather see us come back to the Cohen style of players - the 2nd tier, tougher mentality type guys that are very good athletes. Obviously the transfer portal makes this harder - I mean Skenes wasn't Skenes until he got to Air Force, but that's rare, he's a once in a decade type breakout stud.

This is Lemonis' year to prove his crootin' strategy works - although it seems to me like he's sort of went back after the tougher brand of guy. Just an observation I've made. Basically what I'm saying is that we should go after the high 3-star, 4-star guys who are talented but still have a chip on their shoulder, rather than the 5-star guys who are already fat and happy, and that's if they don't get drafted. DJ is a good example of this 5-star type.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So - side point here.

I have long been a critic of Lemonis' crootin'. Basically, he's going after what I call the PG All-Americans, coddled travel-ballers that play nothing but baseball year round and go to showcases. Obviously all the superstar guys are in that group too, at least most of the ones we're talking about here that command NIL or whatever.

I would rather see us come back to the Cohen style of players - the 2nd tier, tougher mentality type guys that are very good athletes. Obviously the transfer portal makes this harder - I mean Skenes wasn't Skenes until he got to Air Force, but that's rare, he's a once in a decade type breakout stud.

This is Lemonis' year to prove his crootin' strategy works - although it seems to me like he's sort of went back after the tougher brand of guy. Just an observation I've made. Basically what I'm saying is that we should go after the high 3-star, 4-star guys who are talented but still have a chip on their shoulder, rather than the 5-star guys who are already fat and happy, and that's if they don't get drafted. DJ is a good example of this 5-star type.
I won’t disagree with most of that.

however I do think lemo or anyone for that matter now days, has to be able to do better in the portal that we current have and are.

again we claim to be an elite program, Texas am, UT, LSU, Ark all without a question landed a big fish in the portal this year. TxAm landed the biggest. Sure there are years where we will strikeout there but there should be times where we get that player too. So far. We’ve whiffed bad in that regard

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I won’t disagree with most of that.

however I do think lemo or anyone for that matter now days, has to be able to do better in the portal that we current have and are.

again we claim to be an elite program, Texas am, UT, LSU, Ark all without a question landed a big fish in the portal this year. TxAm landed the biggest. Sure there are years where we will strikeout there but there should be times where we get that player too. So far. We’ve whiffed bad in that regard
It certainly seems like Braden Montgomery is the big fish we could have landed, if we were ever going to do it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's disheartening missing on so many top flight players especially after we demonstrate time and time again our fans show up to support the baseball team. What I'm left to believe is that while the Dude may be a big draw, Starkville most certainly is not. Don't know how else to explain it.
It’s not Starkville. It’s Lemonis. We recruited fine until he got here, except for the 2000s when Polk just didn’t care.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
We still got any of that National Championship smell on us?
More importantly, will our left field fans have some good food to spoil visiting players from air force? Will it be televised so the preening peacocks can show off their rigs? That's all that matters.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Listened to all the programs put out by Coleman/Lowery and Hadad. The pitching staff seems to be responding to his leadership. Stephens and Holcomb looked very good at scrimmages. Defense was a major improvement from last year in the scrimmages. We are unranked and no one is expecting much out of use. I like our chances for improving.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Short answer today is no. Check back in the middle of March and see if I feel different.

I have a bad feeling I won't but you never know.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
I’m not worried about Hines and Jordan but we need guys like Kohler and Hujsak to surprise us with low k rates and about 26-30 HR between them, plus a slew of doubles. Highfill can also fill out the offense on his part. Maybe ( name escapes me, always injured ) can become a regular somewhere on the field and in the order ? I think 1-9 we can be pretty competitive although I’m not sure what Cupp’s bat will play like.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I’m not worried about Hines and Jordan but we need guys like Kohler and Hujsak to surprise us with low k rates and about 26-30 HR between them, plus a slew of doubles. Highfill can also fill out the offense on his part. Maybe ( name escapes me, always injured ) can become a regular somewhere on the field and in the order ? I think 1-9 we can be pretty competitive although I’m not sure what Cupp’s bat will play like.
Always injured - Aaron Downs

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
I want to believe, I just can't do it. I will still watch every game I can and go to as many as I can, whether we are winning or not.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
We act like our offense was an above average offense. It wasnt. And one of the best hitters on the team is gone. Sure Jordan and Hines are a good 1-2 punch, but nearly everyone in the league has that type punch.

We need to see a lot more than just improvement fr
I think Larry will be a solid .300+ hitter wherever in the lineup he falls.

TPIPER36

May 19, 2023
We can’t even look forward to baseball season anymore. This **** sucks, should have canned Lameass last year. Dude is basically the baseball version of Ed Ogeron or Gene Chizick type coach. What a waste of a year it’s going to be. We just delayed the rebuild, that’s all. Goh I hope I’m wrong, but I expect the worst

Last edited:

TPIPER36

May 19, 2023
I want to be hopeful, but damn nothing about Mississippi state ever gives me any hope. ***

TPIPER36

May 19, 2023
We still got any of that National Championship smell on us?
It’s been far gone. Only Mississippi St can go from a natty to one of the worst teams in the conference, and fail to even make the conference tournament. Huge opportunity to capitalize off the success of a natty to elevate even further, only to toss it down the drain.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
It’s been far gone. Only Mississippi St can go from a natty to one of the worst teams in the conference, and fail to even make the conference tournament. Huge opportunity to capitalize off the success of a natty to elevate even further, only to toss it down the drain.
Well actually our friends from Oxford found even more misery the year after winning a NC. At least State followed theirs up by winning 9 SEC games. The Sharks managed to win only 6 SEC games the year after their NC. In fact, I'll go so far as to say they mortgaged 2023 for that 2022 NC specifically because State won it in 2021. They paid all those seniors to come back for a 5th year and multiple juniors to come back for their senior year and turned over their entire roster for 2023. Let's see which one turns it around this year. Lemonis or The Shrimp in Powder Blue!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login