Tyler Childers announces tour dates...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Seen him at Hal and Mal's before he got big. Incredible show.
Agreed. That show was moved from Duling Hall because of the demand.

And Barry Leach performing in the restaurant beforehand that same night...

Bon Appetit Gourmet GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
Love Tyler. Not sure why he avoids MS and Alabama like the plague though.

*EDIT IT ADD* Since he got big.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Love Tyler. Not sure why he avoids MS and Alabama like the plague though.

*EDIT IT ADD* Since he got big.
I have seen Tyler twice in Alabama. Last time with Sturgill. He was big at the time.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I don’t understand the Childers love. He’s nothing special, IMO. What does he call himself? Country artist? No way, Jose….

wasabaka

Sep 17, 2012
I've seen Tyler, Paul Cauthen, and Orville Peck on the same stage. The other two blew him out of the water. Tyler writes great songs, but he is not a performer. He was lackluster. Paul and Orville wiped the floor with him performance-wise.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I've seen Tyler, Paul Cauthen, and Orville Peck on the same stage. The other two blew him out of the water. Tyler writes great songs, but he is not a performer. He was lackluster. Paul and Orville wiped the floor with him performance-wise.
I’ve only seen Paul Cauthen once and wasn’t impressed with his performance (disappointing to me since I love his music— his voice is amazing).

However, it was at the end of a long festival day so I’m willing to blame it on that as well as him having the unenviable task of being the musician performing after Daniel Donato who has been so amazing this year.

Orville Peck is on my list to see if he’s nearby.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I don’t understand the Childers love. He’s nothing special, IMO. What does he call himself? Country artist? No way, Jose….
My theory on Childers is that most people like him because he said **** in the first few lines of Feathered Indians. The opening of that song is pretty great.

Having said that, I like him alright.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The only two songs I've listened to (because of this thread) seem to be fushion with country vocals, blues & a hint of bluegrass with a dark tint to it.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018

‘At boy sangs from the heart, that’s the hard life catagory. Thing about Tyler is, he’s lived about everything he sings so those lyrics are real pain and true life situations for him. Maybe not the best voice but he knows those songs because he wrote and lived most all of ‘em.

I’m the oldest of 3 boys and if “Follow You To Virgie” don’t get your thoughts back to reelin’ about your brothers and maw passing’ on then hearts gotta be cold - cold as stone & black as coal.

Folk Songs mostly I’d call ‘em.

WutheringDawg

Dec 4, 2010
The only two songs I've listened to (because of this thread) seem to be fushion with country vocals, blues & a hint of bluegrass with a dark tint to it.

Some Tyler Childers tunes if you’re inclined to listen:

Shake the Frost
Charleston Girl
Follow You to Virgie
All Your’n
Lady May
Bottles and Bibles
Universal Sound
Nose to the Grindstone
Jersey Giant

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
PI think Childers sets himself apart from so many with his lyrics and distinctive voice. I’d call him an Americana or folk artist. Sort of like Colter Wall, who is even better. Definitely not what passes for “country music” these days, I agree.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Tyler has a lot of good songs. He's not just another drunk, misbehaving Bubba with cliches and rhymes although there is bit of that in him. He's genuine, honest and introspective in a way that captures the challenges of being working class in coal country.

Reactions: Emma’s Dad

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
‘At boy sangs from the heart, that’s the hard life catagory. Thing about Tyler is, he’s lived about everything he sings so those lyrics are real pain and true life situations for him. Maybe not the best voice but he knows those songs because he wrote and lived most all of ‘em.

I’m the oldest of 3 boys and if “Follow You To Virgie” don’t get your thoughts back to reelin’ about your brothers and maw passing’ on then hearts gotta be cold - cold as stone & black as coal.

Folk Songs mostly I’d call ‘em.
Little willie and Hank with a little more bluegrass mixed in.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I have seen Tyler twice in Alabama. Last time with Sturgill. He was big at the time.
You must have been at that Birmingham show before Covid hit.

I had a GA floor ticket to the Landers Center show that was canceled because I knew it would be my best & last chance to see Sturgill and him up close.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login