UCLA's last trip to Penn State

olelion

Oct 31, 2021
1967. Gary Beban , the Heisman Trophy winner that year quarterbacked the Bruins who came in ranked No. 3 in the nation.. Penn State was doing quite well with Tom Sherman at quarterback at QB and Bob Campbell running well. Campbell blew out his knee trying to stretch for extra yardage. He was also the punter and UCLA eventually won the game on a blocked punt and recovery for a TD in the PSU end zone. The final score was 15-17. The Penn State 44 defense stymied UCLA all day with Steve Smear having a huge game at DT. I was a sophomore attending that game. They would not loose again during my final 2+ years at Dear Old State

Last edited:

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Wonder what happened to that guy that was coaching Penn State that day? Probably didn't last too much longer after losing to a team that had to come all the way across the country.

• Haha
Reactions: BobPSU92 and mmp121

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
What time did the gates open??
No gates bacl then - just had a couple of the football interns loosen the ropes to lower the drawbridge across the moat.

Cokes were 5 cents, and you could get 1 cent back by returning your bottle. Hot Dogs were 2 cents and you could get 1 cent back by returning the bun. Women were encouraged to wear dresses and stockings to the game. Men were encouraged not to, but most did anyway.
Smoking was mandatory, and stadium ushers offered unfiltered Camel cigarettes to all fans, espicially the younger ones.

It was a simpler, happier time.

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
UCLA is flying into State College airport from LAX traveling in two 737 aircraft. I guess they figure that's a better option than one large aircraft flying into Harrisburg. PSU will be flying out of Harrisburg next week for the USC game.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
No gates bacl then - just had a couple of the football interns loosen the ropes to lower the drawbridge across the moat.

Cokes were 5 cents, and you could get 1 cent back by returning your bottle. Hot Dogs were 2 cents and you could get 1 cent back by returning the bun. Women were encouraged to wear dresses and stockings to the game. Men were encouraged not to, but most did anyway.
Smoking was mandatory, and stadium ushers offered unfiltered Camel cigarettes to all fans, espicially the younger ones.

It was a simpler, happier time.
I was 7 years old… I remember it was my first time being told to **** off by a chick at the Skeller!

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
1967. Gary Beban , the Heisman Trophy winner that year quarterbacked the Bruins who came in ranked No. 3 in the nation.. Penn State was doing quite well with Tom Sherman at quarterback at QB and Bob Campbell running well. Campbell blew out his knee trying to stretch for extra yardage. He was also the punter and UCLA eventually won the game on a blocked punt and recovery for a TD in the PSU end zone. The final score was 15-17. The Penn State 44 defense stymied UCLA all day with Steve Smear having a huge game at DT. I was a sophomore attending that game. They would not loose again during my final 2+ years at Dear Old State
Here's 1968.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login