UConn’s Dan Hurley to the Lakers? (UPDATE: He’s staying at UConn.)

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
The money could be too much for Hurley to pass up, but I would take Storrs as an established winner over L.A., all the lebron/bronny horse-a$$, and an uncertain future (winning would certainly not be guaranteed). Then again, I‘m mediocre, on a good day, and unambitious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Admiral Nelson

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
The money could be too much for Hurley to pass up, but I would take Storrs as an established winner over L.A., all the lebron/bronny horse-a$$, and an an uncertain future (winning would certainly not be guaranteed). Then again, I‘m mediocre, on a good day, and unambitious.

They are saying its going to be a huge offer basically one that people could not turn down. Be interesting to see if he has any interest coaching in the NBA. This would be a great shot and set his family up financially for a long time.

Reactions: BobPSU92

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
They are saying its going to be a huge offer basically one that people could not turn down. Be interesting to see if he has any interest coaching in the NBA. This would be a great shot and set his family up financially for a long time.
Hurley’s been playing the “I’m at UConn to stay” tune but I guess money really does talk.

The Lakers had been thinking of hiring LeBron’s buddy JJ Reddick, that would have been a disastrous hire. I like Reddick but he’s got zero coaching experience.

Reactions: Bwifan and BobPSU92

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
For a long time, he was the forgotten Hurly - with the notoriety his dad (rightfully) had, and his older brother Bobby had. Good to see Danny getting the (well deserved) attention.

But, I think he is one of those coaches who is better to stay in college than go to NBA.

Reactions: MacNit

PSU89er

Nov 22, 2023
He's going to get paid 32 million to stay at UConn over the next 5 years, I don't know how much money he needs.

In his shoes, I'd want more money than James if I was going to coach the Lakers. Otherwise, James is coaching the team, and if it goes bad I'm out the door. Basically, I'd want more than the Lakers will ever pay.

Hurley can coach in Storrs for the next 20+ years if he wishes. He'll get paid well and have pretty good teams. Why give that up, but some do.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
He's going to get paid 32 million to stay at UConn over the next 5 years, I don't know how much money he needs.

In his shoes, I'd want more money than James if I was going to coach the Lakers. Otherwise, James is coaching the team, and if it goes bad I'm out the door. Basically, I'd want more than the Lakers will ever pay.

Hurley can coach in Storrs for the next 20+ years if he wishes. He'll get paid well and have pretty good teams. Why give that up, but some do.
Why give it up? Because recruiting is a dysfunctional part of a grown man’s job.

Reactions: marshall23

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021

Exactly This is why the offer from the Lakers better be huge and guaranteed with a long term. Hurley is making 5-6 million/year at UConn. He basically coach there for another 20 years if he wants and probably will make more than that. So for the Lakers to pry him away its going to take a boatload of money. Truly life changing money for his family and future generations IMHO to have to put up LeBron and his whiny azz questioning his coaching.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
His dad surely could have jumped at offers to make much money than he was making at St. Anthony’s High School. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the son stay right where he is.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
The money could be too much for Hurley to pass up, but I would take Storrs as an established winner over L.A., all the lebron/bronny horse-a$$, and an an uncertain future (winning would certainly not be guaranteed). Then again, I‘m mediocre, on a good day, and unambitious.

Plus, scones are ridiculously expensive in LA!

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
His dad surely could have jumped at offers to make much money than he was making at St. Anthony’s High School. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the son stay right where he is.
Huh. A take I hadn’t considered.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
Mrs Hurley’s opinion will matter greatly in his decision.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Mrs Hurley’s opinion will matter greatly in his decision.

Elizabeth? o_O

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

LeBron makes/will make $50mm+. Hurley isn't getting that much (unless Jeanie Buss is apeschit crazy). Steve Kerr is presently the highest paid NBA coach at $17.5mm pa.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
LeBron makes/will make $50mm+. Hurley isn't getting that much (unless Jeanie Buss is apeschit crazy). Steve Kerr is presently the highest paid NBA coach at $17.5mm pa.

I just heard that the Lakers have brought in Sandy to aid in the negotiations.

• Haha
Reactions: Psu00

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
I don’t think you will ever see a great college coach again like Coach K, Jay, Hurley, etc. Between NIL, portal, etc., these guys spend more time recruiting and hitting people up for money than actual coaching. I would be SHOCKED if he remains at UConn. Same reason why I would be shocked to see Jay coach again.

It has to be a nightmare now.

• Angry
Reactions: LionJim

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
Exactly This is why the offer from the Lakers better be huge and guaranteed with a long term. Hurley is making 5-6 million/year at UConn. He basically coach there for another 20 years if he wants and probably will make more than that. So for the Lakers to pry him away its going to take a boatload of money. Truly life changing money for his family and future generations IMHO to have to put up LeBron and his whiny azz questioning his coaching.
The current $5M/year is already kind of life changing.

Reactions: OhioLion

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I think there was once a college coach who was offered life changing money by the NFL. He pondered it. He rejected it. It called integrity. It’s called honor. The became a legend
Money isnt everything
Well, in the middle of that he accepted it didn’t he? Then changed his mind the next morning?

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Everyone is wired differently. I wouldn't speculate about what motivates a particular coach. In a sense Hurley has climbed the college mountain and he sits on top. Does anyone here know if he is intrigued by a new challenge? It may not be about money.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Everyone is wired differently. I wouldn't speculate about what motivates a particular coach. In a sense Hurley has climbed the college mountain and he sits on top. Does anyone here know if he is intrigued by a new challenge? It may not be about money.
It’s one thing to be hired as the Head Coach of Charlotte or some other bottom feeder so to speak. He might think through that one. But you are being offered what will be the highest contract for a hoops coach for one of the two NBA pillars.

I think the big thing is that Hurley won’t be a teacher anymore. They were talking about developing a Laker process or culture. That is a stretch especially considering the elephant in that locker room. Developing kids and actually coaching will diminish and that has to bother him. But he gets rid of all the nonsense associated with college sports now. Weighing the two, I thing the pros outweigh the cons and he becomes the newest Laker coach.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021

Let’s go Celtics!

Can’t imagine Hurley’s style will translate to NBA. But he is a great coach - so who knows.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
The current $5M/year is already kind of life changing.

Not by what the NBA will be offering. That is real life changing money that will set you family future generations up nicely for a long time.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
I think there was once a college coach who was offered life changing money by the NFL. He pondered it. He rejected it. It called integrity. It’s called honor. The became a legend
Money isnt everything

It is unless you have expressed a desire to coach in the NBA like Hurley has....

Hurley, 51, has often described his ambition to one day coach in the NBA and has expressed to the Lakers a desire to explore the full picture of a partnership with one of basketball's winningest franchises, sources said.

PSU89er

Nov 22, 2023
By partnership. In his shoes, I'd want 5 to 10 percent of the franchise. I'd want something that would allow him to tell James, this is how it is going to be or you are not going to be a part of it.

James is a massive elephant in the room. He's still an exceptional player, but he is turning 40 this year, and often the last guys to understand that they are not what they once were is the guy himself. Statwise, James was still very good last year, but he has got to be getting very close to the end.
Fathertime is undefeated.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
By partnership. In his shoes, I'd want 5 to 10 percent of the franchise. I'd want something that would allow him to tell James, this is how it is going to be or you are not going to be a part of it.

James is a massive elephant in the room. He's still an exceptional player, but he is turning 40 this year, and often the last guys to understand that they are not what they once were is the guy himself. Statwise, James was still very good last year, but he has got to be getting very close to the end.
Fathertime is undefeated.
The Lakers are estimated to be worth over $6bn. Hurley isn't getting 5-10% of that on top of a nice salary. Alternatively, he can stay at UConn and watch his basketball program swirl down the drain along with the rest of the school's athletic department.

• Haha
Reactions: Midnighter

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
The Lakers are estimated to be worth over $6bn. Hurley isn't getting 5-10% of that on top of a nice salary. Alternatively, he can stay at UConn and watch his basketball program swirl down the drain along with the rest of the school's athletic department.
The guy’s won two straight championships. What are we missing?

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
What you're missing is that UConn's Athletic Department is seriously in the red and its financial position is not likely to improve with the way college sports are evolving.

That’s what happens when you’re small-time no-time in football.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login