Uconn Iowa

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
This is great stuff. Sunday is going to be awesome.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
The last of pure amateurism. I predict highschool ball will captivate the new amateur competition market. I wish I could find and bump my thread from 3 years ago. It’s all falling in line with what I predicted…as we watch all men’s college sports and amateur status crumble.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Connecticut played their *** off tonight. They had Iowa down in the first half with their feet on Iowa's neck. But they let Iowa get back in the game. They may have called that defensive foul late, but they let a lot of fouls play on when Connecticut was trying to play close on defense. Iowa could've lost that game because of their sloppy passing, but somehow they found a way to win. Connecticut played a hell of a game.

The thing is, they are all playing for second place to South Carolina.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The last of pure amateurism. I predict highschool ball will captivate the new amateur competition market. I wish I could find and bump my thread from 3 years ago. It’s all falling in line with what I predicted…as we watch all men’s college sports and amateur status crumble.
Amateurism will be something we can tell our grandchildren about.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Watching it multiple times it’s a foul but one that rarely gets called in the course of a game and never gets called in the last possession of a game.

I might be ok if that call had freed someone for a wide open layup or something and they had been letting similar screens go the whole game.

I was pulling for Iowa but that left a bitter taste. Brought up bad memories or Morgan getting mugged with a no-call in the final minute of the championship game

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
That game should be a white paper for ncaa refs to learn how to not call a game.
It was awful, but it was pretty equally awful.

Tomahawk chop to the skull from behind by UCONN when Iowa is shooting?...no call.
Set a screen then mow the player down by running thru her?...no call.
Phantom fouls called. Actual fame changing could not called.
Etc etc.

As someone who has no dog in the hunt with WBB, it is a worse reffed sport compared to MBB.
And the women are now pushing the tempo faster, but it's like their feet often. can't keep up with their torsos. So many fast breaks are out of control throw the ball up attempts because the defense is in position and the ball handler can't move their feet quickly enough to stay in control.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That game should be a white paper for ncaa refs to learn how to not call a game.
It was awful, but it was pretty equally awful.

Tomahawk chop to the skull from behind by UCONN when Iowa is shooting?...no call.
Set a screen then mow the player down by running thru her?...no call.
Phantom fouls called. Actual fame changing could not called.
Etc etc.

As someone who has no dog in the hunt with WBB, it is a worse reffed sport compared to MBB.
And the women are now pushing the tempo faster, but it's like their feet often. can't keep up with their torsos. So many fast breaks are out of control throw the ball up attempts because the defense is in position and the ball handler can't move their feet quickly enough to stay in control.
To be honest, it was a very difficult game to officiate. Someone was going to be upset.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Definitely was a foul. just rarely called in that scenario.

What a hell of a basketball game. Kudos for Geno's team. He always shows why he's one of the best..... Those Iowa girls got hot at the right time and just kept pulling away late.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It was the same thing they did to us against ND. It's bogus and rigged! They selectively call/dont call fouls in these women's games far too often.
If it's rigged, the refs sure did let it get down to the literal last seconds before ensuring Iowa won.

Not sure how you could ever explain the process of rigging a game and relying on UCONN to do something worthy of calling a foul on the offensive end before a shot is taken.
It's almost as if...it isn't rigged and the refs called a foul on a contact that impacted play, which is what should happen.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Other terrible calls-
- Iowa lays the ball up and UCONN tomahawk chops the shooter in the head from behind. Clear as day in real time.
- Clark drives the lane, shoves off her defender with an obvious elbow extension to clear space, and shoots from 12'...and if it isn't an offensive foul, then it's a blocking foul on UCONN.
- UCONN is called for fouling an Iowa player who drove the lane when both UCONN defenders actually jumped backwards to not make contact.
- Stuelke and the UCONN big locked arms on both ends of the court and it impacted the game but wasn't called probably 10 times. Just no call after no call and it helped/hurt both teams.

The women's game has gotten faster, but it is still slow enough to easily make these calls and see who is actually initiating contact.
As said last night, the reffing I have seen in WBB this season is pretty unimpressive.

Also, why did the refs stop play and review the Iowa 3pt shot with a foot in the line? This isn't a complaint, it's me not understanding the process. In the men's game, they call it in the court and wait for the next break (timeout usually) to review. Wonder what the difference in scenario was.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Wonder how many times Geno has been the benefactor of close calls late in games. I'm willing to bet he's had far more go in his favor than the other way around.
Yeah he has definitely had a lot of calls go his team's way.

Just based on sheer number of years coaching, he has gotten a ton of em.
I can't imagine a D1 coach staying at the same school for 39 years.
It's almost unheard of- out of all the coaches thru the last half century, I think Boeheim and Coach K are the only other two with more years at one school.
It's amazing what Auriemma built and has maintained at UCONN. A program that dominant for that many years has definitely seen it's share of beneficial calls thru the years.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
That’s not even a controversial call. It was a clear moving screen. Why anyone would want to be a basketball referee is beyond me. You make the right call and you still get hate for it because it “impacted the game”. Well no schitt. The UConn player tried to impact the game by setting an illegal screen to free up a shooter. The referee rightly called it as a foul.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login