UGA buddy sent me this

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
I mean Justin King did these videos in the early 2010's. There's a really good one from us beating UGA in 2012. So not sure what you're referencing in us getting to "this level?"
I mean the level of play where we go into the #1 team's stadium and handily defeat them. Those 3 good Spurrier years are getting smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror. Today's freshmen were 7 in 2013, the seniors were 11. Quite a lot of the fans who enjoyed our lone conference championship are dead now and the ones who are still alive are on Medicare.

LonghornsGamecocks

Feb 24, 2024
I mean Justin King did these videos in the early 2010's. There's a really good one from us beating UGA in 2012. So not sure what you're referencing in us getting to "this level?"

The single greatest Gamecock football performance in history. An absolute *** whooping on the grandest stage. Still makes my eyes water. They're watering now.

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024

The single greatest Gamecock football performance in history. An absolute *** whooping on the grandest stage. Still makes my eyes water. They're watering now.

Now that was a BIG win. That game turned a lot of UGA fans against Richt. They were disgusted with how unprepared UGA looked after they had been led to believe the team was going to be something special. They won out in the regular season but the blush was off the rose for a lot of UGA fans.

All we had to do was beat either LSU or UF and we would have won the East but UGA didn't lose again and were East winners. That was peak Spurrier.

Reactions: 92Pony

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
This is my definition of a "big win". Will Carolina ever get to this level?

We've had a few big wins the past dozen years. I'd count a win against a top 15 opponent as "big."

2022 at #8 Clemson
2022 #5 Tennessee
2022 at #13 Kentucky
2020 #15 Auburn
2019 at #3 Georgia
2014 #6 Georgia
2013 #6 Clemson
2013 at #5 Missouri

Obviously we didn't turn any of these wins into championships or even long-term success. It's also kinda sad that these are our only top 15 wins in the past 12 seasons. But we have had some really good/big wins in that timeframe.

If only winning by double digits on the road against #1 counts as a big win for you, then the chances of any program doing that consistently are pretty slim. That's especially true for a program like South Carolina.

Reactions: SSIGamecock

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
We've had a few big wins the past dozen years. I'd count a win against a top 15 opponent as "big."

2022 at #8 Clemson
2022 #5 Tennessee
2022 at #13 Kentucky
2020 #15 Auburn
2019 at #3 Georgia
2014 #6 Georgia
2013 #6 Clemson
2013 at #5 Missouri

Obviously we didn't turn any of these wins into championships or even long-term success. It's also kinda sad that these are our only top 15 wins in the past 12 seasons. But we have had some really good/big wins in that timeframe.

If only winning by double digits on the road against #1 counts as a big win for you, then the chances of any program doing that consistently are pretty slim. That's especially true for a program like South Carolina.
Wow! 8 wins against top 15 teams in 12 seasons, sounds worse when you actually say it. I wonder how many total games we have played against top 15 teams in that time frame? 8 may be a better number than it initially appears to be.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Wow! 8 wins against top 15 teams in 12 seasons, sounds worse when you actually say it. I wonder how many total games we have played against top 15 teams in that time frame? 8 may be a better number than it initially appears to be.
Good question. I should have done that total when I went through those seasons. It does sound pretty bad!

2024: 0-2
2023: 0-1
2022: 3-1
2021: 0-1
2020: 1-3
2019: 1-3
2018: 0-4
2017: 0-2
2016: 0-2
2015: 0-4
2014: 1-1
2013: 2-1

Total: 8-25

That's an interesting exercise. Muschamp had 2 top 15 wins in 5 seasons, both of them after many fans had already given up on the program. The losses were almost all non-competitive. His best season, 2017, we only played 2 ranked teams (and lost both).

I think this is why so many fans are willing to cut Beamer slack despite having a worse overall record than Muschamp at a similar time in their respective tenures. Beamer has 3 such wins in less time, with many of the losses being very competitive. I'm not claiming a moral victory, but being competitive is a reason for hope. Getting blown out doesn't really do much for the future.

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
Good question. I should have done that total when I went through those seasons. It does sound pretty bad!

2024: 0-2
2023: 0-1
2022: 3-1
2021: 0-1
2020: 1-3
2019: 1-3
2018: 0-4
2017: 0-2
2016: 0-2
2015: 0-4
2014: 1-1
2013: 2-1

Total: 8-25

That's an interesting exercise. Muschamp had 2 top 15 wins in 5 seasons, both of them after many fans had already given up on the program. The losses were almost all non-competitive. His best season, 2017, we only played 2 ranked teams (and lost both).

I think this is why so many fans are willing to cut Beamer slack despite having a worse overall record than Muschamp at a similar time in their respective tenures. Beamer has 3 such wins in less time, with many of the losses being very competitive. I'm not claiming a moral victory, but being competitive is a reason for hope. Getting blown out doesn't really do much for the future.
I think the two wins at the end of the 2022 season are the only reason Beamer isn't on the way out the door or wasn't fired after last season. I still can't understand the logic behind the huge raise and extension after the 2022 season. There was zero chance any other program was going to come courting Beamer away from Carolina.

I think we get to 6 wins this season and that will buy Beamer a few more years. Unfortunately, I think those few more years will all be 5-7 win seasons with crap bowl games if we get to 6 or 7 wins. Apparently, there is a reasonable percentage of the fan base that is OK with those results and hoping (believing?) things are going to get better. Next season, I think the script on the team is flipped, the D drops off and the O gets better and the new recipe creates another 5-7 win season.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
I think the two wins at the end of the 2022 season are the only reason Beamer isn't on the way out the door or wasn't fired after last season. I still can't understand the logic behind the huge raise and extension after the 2022 season. There was zero chance any other program was going to come courting Beamer away from Carolina.

I think we get to 6 wins this season and that will buy Beamer a few more years. Unfortunately, I think those few more years will all be 5-7 win seasons with crap bowl games if we get to 6 or 7 wins. Apparently, there is a reasonable percentage of the fan base that is OK with those results and hoping (believing?) things are going to get better. Next season, I think the script on the team is flipped, the D drops off and the O gets better and the new recipe creates another 5-7 win season.
We'll see. There's definitely reasonable room for optimism for the future, just like there's reasonable room for pessimism. How Carolina performs these last 5 games this year will drive the narrative for 2025. Beamer will either be on a really hot seat if we finish poorly, or in a fairly secure position with a strong finish.

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
We'll see. There's definitely reasonable room for optimism for the future, just like there's reasonable room for pessimism. How Carolina performs these last 5 games this year will drive the narrative for 2025. Beamer will either be on a really hot seat if we finish poorly, or in a fairly secure position with a strong finish.
Wofford and another win will get him to 6 wins and a terrible bowl game that many fans will act like is a CFP game. Beamer will be off the hot seat and fans will be thinking next season will be "special". It won't be. Beamer is in year 4, he is what he is, a 5-7 win coach. Sadly, that is good enough for him to keep his job for a while as long as he can get to a meaningless bowl most years.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Wofford and another win will get him to 6 wins and a terrible bowl game that many fans will act like is a CFP game. Beamer will be off the hot seat and fans will be thinking next season will be "special". It won't be. Beamer is in year 4, he is what he is, a 5-7 win coach. Sadly, that is good enough for him to keep his job for a while as long as he can get to a meaningless bowl most years.
It depends on how things play out on the field. Recruiting seems to be pretty strong going into the 2025 class, which bodes well for the future. If the rest of this season looks really bad, then that could easily change.

I really don't think it's possible for a coach to perpetually win 5 to 7 games. That coach is either going to eventually tank or eventually win a few more games.

Beating Wofford and, let's say Vanderbilt, to get to 6 is not going to make the fan base think all is well. Beamer needs to beat those teams in addition to A&M, Missouri, and/or Clemson.

GivEmDaSpurs

Joined Sep 23, 2019
Jan 17, 2022

Dang!! We come off a dominant win of an Oklahoma team on the road and this is what you got? Lest we forget that we dog walked Kentucky on the road as well. Road wins are tough in the SEC. When’s the last time we had a lead against a ranked LSU (home game) and ranked Alabama (on the road) in the 4th quarter with chances to win the games?

I guess that you don’t think that improving from 5 wins to 7 is a sign of progress. I guess that you don’t take SOS into consideration. I guess that getting really good impact players is a sign that players are trusting that Beamer has things headed in the right direction (should read some comments after visits from prospects and commits).

Lighten up and enjoy the rest of the season. We have a good team that is fun to watch. A team that has a chance to win every remaining game on our very tough schedule.

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022

You make a good point from a solid perspective, but it's because the WBB coach was making more $ than Beamer, and it makes 0 business sense to have the leader of a program that makes $80MM a year making less than the leader of a program that loses > $5MM/year.

Last edited:
Reactions: will110

kidrobinski

Jan 30, 2022
Like Dietzel. Carlen. Morrison. Holtz. Even Spurrier.

Its not the indian. As you note, it is what it is.

kidrobinski

Jan 30, 2022
Dang!! We come off a dominant win of an Oklahoma team on the road and this is what you got? Lest we forget that we dog walked Kentucky on the road as well. Road wins are tough in the SEC. When’s the last time we had a lead against a ranked LSU (home game) and ranked Alabama (on the road) in the 4th quarter with chances to win the games?

I guess that you don’t think that improving from 5 wins to 7 is a sign of progress. I guess that you don’t take SOS into consideration. I guess that getting really good impact players is a sign that players are trusting that Beamer has things headed in the right direction (should read some comments after visits from prospects and commits).

Lighten up and enjoy the rest of the season. We have a good team that is fun to watch. A team that has a chance to win every remaining game on our very tough schedule.
I know right.

There's like 4 guys on here that post pretty much the same thing several times a day on a daily basis, and in addition to being boring as all get out it doesn't really leave any room for actual football discourse or interest in what's usually going on.

SouthernBelly

Sep 16, 2024

Never understood that either, especially right after doing the same thing with Muschamp. Also completely agree on zero chance anyone was coming to get him after 2022. If they get to a bowl game again this season he'll get at least an extenion.

Depending on how the portal goes the defense looks to be in trouble next season. Losing lots of talent to graduation/draft and it will remain to be seen if Stewart stays around. The defense this season is incredibly talented and fun to watch and IMHO they are making the defensive coaching staff look better than they are. The offense will not be much better next season even if all players with experience return. They'll make some strides because that can tend to happen in anything, not just sports. However, with the same coaches in place, there's no reason to expect much of a difference. Need a new OL coach at a minimum and probably OC too.

SouthernBelly

Sep 16, 2024

Kentucky sucks. Oklahoma sucks. Who cares about leads when they had the chance to win. Before the refs did their thing in the 2nd half against LSU a 17-0 1Q lead began evaporating in the 2Q.
You have to take the product as a whole. As a whole, it's a team that also about lost at home to ODU and was flattened at home by Ole Miss. They have yet to beat a good team.

Reactions: gamecock stock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
This is my definition of a "big win". Will Carolina ever get to this level?

Check out our current recruiting ranking. We are only 10th in the 16-team SEC conference. To answer your question: Only when we have a Head Coach who can "do more with less".

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022

I think that, having given him a raise and extension earlier, they couldn't afford to so quickly pay him after the bonanza Muschamp collected.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Kentucky sucks. Oklahoma sucks. Who cares about leads when they had the chance to win. Before the refs did their thing in the 2nd half against LSU a 17-0 1Q lead began evaporating in the 2Q.
You have to take the product as a whole. As a whole, it's a team that also about lost at home to ODU and was flattened at home by Ole Miss. They have yet to beat a good team.
You defeat your own argument by saying "you have to take the product as a whole."

This team should have/could have beaten LSU at home and Alabama on the road. This team did crush Kentucky and Oklahoma on the road. This team had a stinker at home to Ole Miss and an embarrassing performance against Old Dominion. This team took care of business against Akron.

It appears you weigh the Ole Miss and ODU performances much more than the other 4 games for some reason.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022

In recent years, has this university been serious about football? We were serious about baseball in the late 1990s when we hired Ray Tanner away from NC State where he went to 7 regionals in 9 years plus winning the conference once. We were serious about women's basketball 15 years ago when we hired Dawn Staley from Temple where she took them to 6 NCAA Tournaments in 8 years plus won a couple of conference championships. How did those 2 hires work out?

Last edited:

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
You defeat your own argument by saying "you have to take the product as a whole."

This team should have/could have beaten LSU at home and Alabama on the road. This team did crush Kentucky and Oklahoma on the road. This team had a stinker at home to Ole Miss and an embarrassing performance against Old Dominion. This team took care of business against Akron.

It appears you weigh the Ole Miss and ODU performances much more than the other 4 games for some reason.
Shoulda/woulda/coulda, this is far too common a refrain around Carolina football. How about this; "if we had scored more points than all of our opponents we would be undefeated right now". Bama lost to Vandy, a close loss to a team that lost to Vandy should not be a point of pride. LSU lost to a 3-4 USC team, this LSU team is not the 2019 team.

Kentucky is a bad football team, OU fired their OC after our game, they are not good either. We "...took care of business against Akron", not exactly glowing praise for an SEC team, any SEC team. Every team we have beaten this season has an offense ranked lower than 100th nationally. Our "elite" defense has padded its stats with games against inept offenses. Against offenses with a pulse, they are giving up plenty of yards and points.

Pulling for and loving your team is one thing, turd polishing is entirely another thing. If Beamer can pull off 7 wins this season I'll believe that maybe things are better than I think right now. We are about to find out what we actually have in 4 of the next 5 games.

SouthernBelly

Sep 16, 2024

The argument is to take the program as a whole. I don't place more emphasis on Ole Miss and ODU, that's your interpretation of what I said. I was replying to someone who did not mention those games who stated what are and what they believe are this season's high points. But there is more than the positives, there's some obvious negatives; not a reason to ignore those. If I was making an initial statement and mentioned only those two games or focused mostly on those two games, then you would have a point.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Shoulda/woulda/coulda, this is far too common a refrain around Carolina football. How about this; "if we had scored more points than all of our opponents we would be undefeated right now". Bama lost to Vandy, a close loss to a team that lost to Vandy should not be a point of pride. LSU lost to a 3-4 USC team, this LSU team is not the 2019 team.

Kentucky is a bad football team, OU fired their OC after our game, they are not good either. We "...took care of business against Akron", not exactly glowing praise for an SEC team, any SEC team. Every team we have beaten this season has an offense ranked lower than 100th nationally. Our "elite" defense has padded its stats with games against inept offenses. Against offenses with a pulse, they are giving up plenty of yards and points.

Pulling for and loving your team is one thing, turd polishing is entirely another thing. If Beamer can pull off 7 wins this season I'll believe that maybe things are better than I think right now. We are about to find out what we actually have in 4 of the next 5 games.
LSU is in first place in the SEC, by the way.

If pulling for and loving your team is turd polishing, what you're doing is turd creation. I try to look for the good in our results while acknowledging the bad. You consistently find the bad in our results while minimizing the good. I don't think it would matter what this team does, you're going to find something negative.

Reactions: GivEmDaSpurs

GivEmDaSpurs

Joined Sep 23, 2019
Jan 17, 2022
In recent years, has this university been serious about football? We were serious about baseball in the late 1990s when we hired Ray Tanner away from NC State where he went to 7 regionals in 9 years plus winning the conference once. We were serious about women's basketball 15 years ago when we hired Dawn Staley from Temple where she took them to 6 NCAA Tournaments in 8 years plus won a couple of conference championships. How did those 2 hires work out?
The amount of money invested into stadium improvements, football facilities, coach pay, and future plans say that we are serious about football.

Was Florida serious when they hired Billy? Was Auburn serious when they hired that POS Freeze?

A university’s level of seriousness is not relative to a coaches success. Were we serious when we hired Coach Paris (1 hail marry shot away from not being our coach)? Were we more serious when we hired Martin?

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
LSU is in first place in the SEC, by the way.

If pulling for and loving your team is turd polishing, what you're doing is turd creation. I try to look for the good in our results while acknowledging the bad. You consistently find the bad in our results while minimizing the good. I don't think it would matter what this team does, you're going to find something negative.
If you are happy with what you see on the field I'm happy for you. Fans like you who see the good and basically ignore the bad or make excuses or come up with "if only" for the losses are the reason Beamer's job is pretty safe for probably a good while and why Carolina football continues to plod along in mediocrity.

A&M is in first place in the SEC with a 4-0 conference record, LSU is second but has only played 3 conference games, us, Ole Miss and Arkansas.

GivEmDaSpurs

Joined Sep 23, 2019
Jan 17, 2022

Looks like you cannot see the forest for the trees. LSU has a top 25 offense. They had 418 yards on offense against us. They average 453 per game.

Alabama is top 50 offensiveand averages 424 per game. We held them to 313. So, not so inept teams and definitely not padded.

Then there is the other side of the coin that you neglected. What is Kentucky’s defense rated? Oh, it’s number 3 in the SEC and 12th nationally. So while you talk about our defense playing inept offenses. It does work both ways.

Oklahoma is nationally ranked defensive unit at 32. We won that game on the road didn’t we and if memory is correct the offense contributed.

Isn’t it interesting how you can pick and choose numbers to reflect some kind of point you are trying to make. Oh, that’s right, you didn’t use numbers and just made an assumption.

It’s a team game and it all works together to represent the sum of the whole.

Reactions: 3USC1801

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login