Ukraine - should US take action?

Status
Not open for further replies.

22yardpunt

Dec 20, 2009
Just curious on thoughts from the board - to what extent, if any, should US take military action? Not looking for a debate, but want to know if anyone else is having second thoughts about doing anything over there. I have been against military action until the past few days when it’s been reported that the Russians are just bombing civilian areas and besieging cities, basically intending to cause harm and suffering of civilians. We’re talking about a small democracy getting bullied but the able-bodied are standing there watching but won’t step in bc they don’t want to get a bloody nose and get in trouble with the teacher. At what point does it become a matter of principal? It is absolutely heartbreaking to see Zolensky plead for real help while his country is being destroyed and his people die for no reason. At some point you have to think there’s a greater obligation to step in if this continues - that the world will not tolerate the needless suffering of the innocent. Wouldn’t mind seeing our flyboys go in and obliterate those 17ers - I mean absolutely light them up and punk Putin on the world stage. The stage is certainly set for it.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
If the threat of nuclear war didn’t exist, your rambling might make sense. But it does, so it doesn’t.

fang

Nov 29, 2010
Stop watching the news, there’s a baseball game on by the way…

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
This isn’t the first democracy to be threatened by an invading or insurgent force in recent years, leading to loss of innocent lives. Not even close. Afghanistan recently being toppled by the Taliban. Russia taking Georgia and then Crimea. Countless overturned regimes in the Middle East over the years.

It’s sad and its unfortunate, but the truth is that people’s eyes are more opened to what has happened in Ukraine because these people are more culturally similar to Americans than many other countries who have had the exact same thing happen to them in the past 2 decades. Its a tough thing to do to know when the safety of the US (or fill in the blank with another NATO ally) is threatened, and act then and only then. Not a job I’d want.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Just curious on thoughts from the board - to what extent, if any, should US take military action? Not looking for a debate, but want to know if anyone else is having second thoughts about doing anything over there. I have been against military action until the past few days when it’s been reported that the Russians are just bombing civilian areas and besieging cities, basically intending to cause harm and suffering of civilians. We’re talking about a small democracy getting bullied but the able-bodied are standing there watching but won’t step in bc they don’t want to get a bloody nose and get in trouble with the teacher. At what point does it become a matter of principal? It is absolutely heartbreaking to see Zolensky plead for real help while his country is being destroyed and his people die for no reason. At some point you have to think there’s a greater obligation to step in if this continues - that the world will not tolerate the needless suffering of the innocent. Wouldn’t mind seeing our flyboys go in and obliterate those 17ers - I mean absolutely light them up and punk Putin on the world stage. The stage is certainly set for it.
Are you up for a nuclear war? That's what you essentially just advocated for.

Nicephorus

Sep 3, 2018
The threat of nuclear war is too great for direct intervention (no fly zone, etc…). Think we’ll continue to see strong material support.

Fortunately, it sounds like the Russians greatly underestimated their logistical prowess as well as degree of corruption and poor maintenance practices in their military. Doesn’t matter how many tanks and armored vehicles they have if they can’t get them where they need to be with sufficient ammo, food, fuel and spare parts. Notably, that huge convoy the media was talking about early last week may be turning into a huge logistical disaster. See the 2 twitter threads by a former US logistics guy that managed supply trucks.

Part 1:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1499164245250002944.html

Part 2 (not sure how accurate this prediction turns out but great if true):
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1499894935209795594.html

Additionally, apparently US trained and equipped Ukrainian special forces units were purposely left behind Russian lines and have been creating further havoc amongst these strung out, poorly defended supply lines.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
No…

I feel for Ukraine but we cant police the world. Ask yourself this. Are you willing to risk your sons life for Ukraine? If te answer is no for your son then it’s no for mine too. That is reality for me as my son was just deployed to the region after just coming off deployment 6 months ago.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006

Do you currently or have you ever served in the US military? If not, have a giant cup of shut the fuuck up. You want to send American troops to die in a meaningless skirmish? Fuuck you and fuuck that!

And I don’t get all this Zelensky hero worship. When the Ukraine falls, he will be on the next thing smoking to Tel Aviv, where he has return rights.

Last edited:

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
If they don't get involved no country will ever give up their nukes again like Ukraine did in the 90's

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
If you feel that strongly about it Ukraine is taking volunteers. Leave other peoples sons and daughters alone.

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
Dumbest post I've seen today. If you really want to know if Americans want to fight a war, reinstate the draft. The you'll see how many of these Rambos really want to go to war. It's real easy to spout crap when it's someone else who will die or be permanently maimed.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Do you really think Putin would start a nuclear war if we intervened? Is he that crazy?

The 17er shelled a nuclear reactor. He's either pulling the mother of all bluffs or he's mentally unstable enough to actually do it. I honestly don't know which it is.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Stay the course

Let his own folks revolt and take him out.

Sep 12, 2013
Let his own folks revolt and take him out.
This is the optimal scenario. Surely the people around him realize what he’s doing. I wonder what exactly the repercussion would be for someone to just swiftly take him out. What’s his succession plan?

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Bingo. Trump was going to pull us out of NATO

This was decided November 2020.
Deny it all you wish.

Instead of Ukraine on a sliver platter, Putin's time is now or never. Unfortunately for him, he's undone every bit of advantage he's gained over the west in about a week. I don't think he saw NATO being so cohesive on sanctioning. Turns out that people really like western liberal democracies and don't want an autocratic thug to put that in jeopardy.

Glad to see you see it now as well.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
There are nine countries with nukes.

China, France, India, Israel, North Korea, Pakistan, Russia, the US and the UK.

Of those 9 countries, who do you think is going to give up their nukes? I’ll save you the time, none.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
We also kept telling Russia we wouldn’t expand NATO any farther east. We aren’t good at keeping our promises.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
You aren't counting any future country that could achieve nuclear capabilities

KeyserSoze1999

Aug 26, 2015
Exactly. Also a good lesson is for countries to keep their Nukes at all costs and individual people to keep their Guns at all costs....an unarmed country / unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Isolationism and neutrality was the correct course for the United States the last time a tyrant started taking over sovereign nations in Europe. Good thing we left Hitler alone in 1936. That 1935 neutrality act really saved us from getting involved in a foreign conflict.***

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
That was a political pipe dream

We (USA) kinda promised to protect Ukraine in 1994 if they gave up their Nuclear Weapons...but, like that was way back in 1994 most folks don't remember that far back (Hell, Kevin Bouie was our Running Back and Eric Moulds was our WR back in those days).

View attachment 24009View attachment 24010

Did anyone really think all parties would honor that? At some point, countries bt old NATO and Russia are going to pick a side. Why wouldn't they draw a line? They are caught physically between two sets of nukes. Sitting around with their thumbs up their asses wasn't happening.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Over half of Finland is now in approval of joining NATO. Just a few years ago it was 20%. Russia is now threatening them. There are a lot of ways the plot could thicken and this is going to play out poorly as long as Crazy Vlad is breathing.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Do you think we should kick it up a notch?

Isolationism and neutrality was the correct course for the United States the last time a tyrant started taking over sovereign nations in Europe. Good thing we left Hitler alone in 1936. That 1935 neutrality act really saved us from getting involved in a foreign conflict.***

I'm torn. What you said above is very true. Putin might just pick his next target and everything snowballs. I also don't like the idea of our boots on the ground and possible (likely) nuclear war. There's not a good plan IMO other than keep Ukraine well armed and hope the sanctions smoke out the rats in Russia. If they force our hands, I guess we gotta go get pot committed at that point but there's little reason for us to Leroy Jenkins this quite yet...

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Do you currently or have you ever served in the US military? If not, have a giant cup of shut the fuuck up. You want to send American troops to die in a meaningless skirmish? Fuuck you and fuuck that!

And I don’t get all this Zelensky hero worship. When the Ukraine falls, he will be on the next thing smoking to Tel Aviv, where he has return rights.

Zelensky deserves it. He has been offered an out by us, he is still there. EPIC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login