Un-commitable offers

Jun 9, 2015
This is a legitimate question, I’m pleading ignorance. When we offered Ryland Hauser, son of actor Cole Hauser, I saw someone say that it was an un-commitable offer. It was said that it was an offer to help boost the player’s reputation and help him get other offers. Is that such a thing, and would it not be a bad look to offer a player with no intention of taking him? I’ll hang up and listen to folks who know more than me.

Last edited:

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
It’s not so much to boost them to another program’s offer. It’s more or less to keep them warm and a way to just flirt with a recruit. It means you are interested, but there are players on your board you are waiting decisions from first. But if the cards fall right, a “commitable” offer might come. I think it’s just meant to boost their pride and give them something to brag about at home.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
It’s not so much to boost them to another program’s offer. It’s more or less to keep them warm and a way to just flirt with a recruit. It means you are interested, but there are players on your board you are waiting decisions from first. But if the cards fall right, a “commitable” offer might come. I think it’s just meant to boost their pride and give them something to brag about at home.

If this is how the process really works, it makes me even more glad I don’t follow recruiting.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
This is the way it has been for awhile. Nothing new. We probably have offers out to 150+ kids in the 2023 class. Obviously, we can’t sign a 150 kids. It might be stupid, but every school does it this way.

I don’t see anything wrong with it if schools are up front with the kid. “If these 3 DTs don’t commit to us by January, then your offer is committable.”

Coaches can’t hang around and wait on studs to commit without still recruiting guys not highly ranked. If they do that, then they end up with no signees on signing day.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
This is the way it has been for awhile. Nothing new. We probably have offers out to 150+ kids in the 2023 class. Obviously, we can’t sign a 150 kids. It might be stupid, but every school does it this way.

I don’t see anything wrong with it if schools are up front with the kid. “If these 3 DTs don’t commit to us by January, then your offer is committable.”

Coaches can’t hang around and wait on studs to commit without still recruiting guys not highly ranked. If they do that, then they end up with no signees on signing day.

I’m sure that’s how it’s always worked and honestly I have no issue with that. Just not something I care to follow. We have guys who commit and then de commit (sometimes from
Multiple schools)… offers vs committable offers. Just too much for me to want to keep up with.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Didn't Orgeron offer all the 4 and 5 star athletes when he was at OM? I think OM still does it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

It's the way it's been for a while and it's actually even "worse" than that. Basically nobody has a committable offer until they receive the letter of intent (I think that's what it's called) to sign. If a school has a full signing class and a top ten prospect they had "lost" to another school tells the coaches he's changed his mind the night before signing day, and he wants to sign, then somebody that thought they were going to get a LOI to sign is going to find out that their offer actually wasn't committable, it's just that neither the recruit nor the coaches knew it.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
In the past when this situation arose, then the position of the school would be to convert the offer into a greyshirt. The recruit doesn’t get the offer letter for the Fall but gets a guaranteed scholarship offer that starts in January so they aren’t totally screwed. They can enroll part time in the Fall and then begin full time school on scholarship in January and count against the next class. Some would take it. And others would move on to a commutable offer for the Fall at another school.

then somebody that thought they were going to get a LOI to sign is going to find out that their offer actually wasn't committable,

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login