Underappreciated Gamecock QBs? #1: Dondrial Pinkins

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
For my money, Dondrial Pinkins tops the list. I think he'd tear it up in today's offensive game. Can't really see an argument against it. Dude had some crazy wheels and a cannon of an arm with an incredible touch on deep balls. Threw TD passes of 99 and 98 yards in one season. Dropped a 77 yard bomb on LSU (Matthew Thomas, receiver). He, unfortunately, had to play in Skip Holtz's offense, which was not designed to maximized Pinkins abilities.

As QB in 2003, he led us to a 5-7 record, which doesn't sound all that great, until you consider we lost by a combined 8 points @ UT, @ Ole Miss and vs UF. All ranked in the top 15. Flip those wins and we're looking at a top 25 team and one of the top Gamecock teams of all time. We played musical QBs for some reason in 2004, playing I think 4 or 5 QBs, but he dang near singlehandedly willed us to win against Bama (yeah, I know, but for us a win over Bama is still a win over Bama). He was a warrior that game. We popped to a 4-1 start before losing another heartbreaker to Ole Miss with Newton and Mitchell at QB. We'd have won that with Pinkins back there and everyone knew it. He took us toe-to-toe with UT later that season and had a game for the ages, going 30/42 for 2 TD and 2 INT. Game was tied 8-8 at halftime, but the D collapsed in the 2nd half and we lost 43-29, wasting one of the all-time performances, considering the competition we were facing. Also ran for 46 yards on 10 carries in that game. With Pinkins at QB in 2004, we are probably looking at back-to-back 8-win campaigns if you count those close losses from 2003.

He was a real wasted talent and deserved much better.

Last edited:

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
For my money, Dondrial Pinkins tops the list. I think he'd tear it up in today's offensive game. Can't really see an argument against it. Dude had some crazy wheels and a cannon of an arm with an incredible touch on deep balls. Threw TD passes of 99 and 98 yards in one season. Dropped a 77 yard bomb on LSU (Matthew Thomas, receiver). He, unfortunately, had to play in Skip Holtz's offense, which was not designed to maximized Pinkins abilities.

As QB in 2003, he led us to a 5-7 record, which doesn't sound all that great, until you consider we lost by a combined 8 points @ UT, @ Ole Miss and vs UF. All ranked in the top 15. Flip those wins and we're looking at a top 25 team and one of the top Gamecock teams of all time. We played musical QBs for some reason in 2004, playing I think 4 or 5 QBs, but he dang near singlehandedly willed us to win against Bama (yeah, I know, but for us a win over Bama is still a win over Bama). He was a warrior that game. We popped to a 4-1 start before losing another heartbreaker to Ole Miss with Newton and Mitchell at QB. We'd have won that with Pinkins back there and everyone knew it. He took us toe-to-toe with UT later that season and had a game for the ages, going 30/42 for 2 TD and 2 INT. Game was tied 8-8 at halftime, but the D collapsed in the 2nd half andecte we lost 43-29, wasting one of the all-time performances, considering the competition we were facing. Also ran for 46 yards on 10 carries in that game. With Pinkins at QB in 2004, we are probably looking at back-to-back 8-win campaigns if you count those close losses from 2003.

He was a real wasted talent and deserved much better.
If I remember correctly, we went 5-7 largely because of Pinkins. I was there for the 99 yard touchdown, against Virginia. Tried to find a video but I recall the pass as going maybe 10 yards or so. Maybe less. I think the receiver was either Rice or Williamson.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If I remember correctly, we went 5-7 largely because of Pinkins. I was there for the 99 yard touchdown, against Virginia. Tried to find a video but I recall the pass as going maybe 10 yards or so. Maybe less. I think the receiver was either Rice or Williamson.

Nah, nah, nah, nah. Revisionist history. How's it on the QB when you lose 43-40 @ Ole Miss?

Feb 4, 2022
He grew up not knowing what the laces were for. So he just learned to throw the football holding it wherever. the sideline reporters did a couple of little reports about how he would throw the football without fingers across the laces
I always thought his passes look like wounded ducks. very rare for spiral.

Attachments

• dondrial-pinkins-passes.jpg
    dondrial-pinkins-passes.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
After the "fade" game where Petty got hurt we played at Alabama. Pinkins was horrible and we fell behind. A hurt Petty was put in the game the 2nd half and we almost came back. I remember thinking that he played looking like he could have started. Another possible win against Alabama wasted by a putrid QB.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Mike Hold
I thought he was pretty well rated, especially for his arm. He would come in as a change of pace and immediately throw a good looking long ball. To me the other quarterback, Allen Mitchell was the underrated one. He ran that veer offense better in my opinion. I was saddened to hear about his suicide.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Pinkins would be a first round draft pick if he played in today's college game.

James Earl Jones Reaction GIF

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
I thought he was pretty well rated, especially for his arm. He would come in as a change of pace and immediately throw a good looking long ball. To me the other quarterback, Allen Mitchell was the underrated one. He ran that veer offense better in my opinion. I was saddened to hear about his suicide.
Agree that he was well thought of during his playing time, but he is not generally mentioned when Gamecock QB discussions come up.
I remember the win under the dome at ND and he had the QB scramble which was an instrumental part of an overall great game where he led us to victory.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
That's what is really called revisionist history.

Not actually. One can easily how his skill set would have translated to a dominant QB in today's game when QBs are coddled and protected. Not gonna say he would have won the Heisman, but I think there would have been discussions at the very least.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Not actually. One can easily how his skill set would have translated to a dominant QB in today's game when QBs are coddled and protected. Not gonna say he would have won the Heisman, but I think there would have been discussions at the very least.
You have a three year old at home. I have grandchildren in their 20s. I actually saw Pinkins in action. Nobody on earth would agree with your opinion that saw him play. If that matters to you at all.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
You have a three year old at home. I have grandchildren in their 20s. I actually saw Pinkins in action. Nobody on earth would agree with your opinion that saw him play. If that matters to you at all.

I saw Pinkins play plenty.

What does having grandkids have to do with evaluating QBs? Maybe it means you're old and out of touch with today's game.

Always get a kick out of the folks who drop their age as their #1 credential.

Last edited:

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
Pinkins would be a first round draft pick if he played in today's college game.

So says the only person on the board that thinks Brad Scott deserved another year, :)

My man didn't even throw with the laces, yeah he would of done real well at the Combine.

I know he was not drafted. Did he even get a NFL free agent contract or NFL try out or any interest from the CFL after his playing days were done, anything?

Its not like he came out in the 1970's or 1980's, he would of been in the 2005 Draft. if he had talent to be a NFL QB, he would of gotten a look.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I saw Pinkins play plenty.

What does having grandkids have to do with evaluating QBs? Maybe it means you're old and out of touch with today's game.
I am old compared to you. And much wiser. I am not your typical 70 year old. I am not out of touch with today's technology. My job requires me to not only stay abreast of technology but cutting edge technology. I am not out of touch with today's music, though I prefer independent label and college radio. What the cool kids today consider beyond alternative. I am certainly not out of touch with today's college football. Pinkins was not as good as Phil Petty, who was certainly not NFL quality, much less 1st round material. Maybe you're just young and stupid. You certainly have made it clear that you lack the ability to evaluate QBs that you watched while still in grade school. And yes, I am laughing at you. So come at me again little boy.

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
He would probably be my #2, or #1B. Coming in after Taneyhill, he was greatly underappreciated.
Tanneyhill was a rockstar. Hard to forget him. IMO, he was very appreciated in his playing days. Agree with your take on Pinkins, except for the first round pick comment.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I am old compared to you. And much wiser. I am not your typical 70 year old. I am not out of touch with today's technology. My job requires me to not only stay abreast of technology but cutting edge technology. I am not out of touch with today's music, though I prefer independent label and college radio. What the cool kids today consider beyond alternative. I am certainly not out of touch with today's college football. Pinkins was not as good as Phil Petty, who was certainly not NFL quality, much less 1st round material. Maybe you're just young and stupid. You certainly have made it clear that you lack the ability to evaluate QBs that you watched while still in grade school. And yes, I am laughing at you. So come at me again little boy.

When did the Jitterbug phone get web browsing?

Last edited:

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
I actually saw Pinkins in action. Nobody on earth would agree with your opinion that saw him play. If that matters to you at all.

What further validates your point, is the fact that Troy Williamson was a top ten pick in the 2005 draft, # 7 overall to the Vikings.

He was fast but had issues catching that caught up to him at the NFL level. (See what I did there)

So you had the NFL teams looking at all the tape on Williamson and thus seeing plenty of Pinkins as well, and for some reason nobody took a flier on him?

Strange while some people in this thread are super impressed that Pinkins had a 98 yard TD pass the NFL professionals looked at it as a 15 yard throw with no pressure to a wide open receiver and were more impressed with the guy that got wide open and out ran everybody for 87 yards. But I guess we are to believe all the NFL scouts and personal looked at it wrong and missed Pinkins first round talent.

Last edited: