Uniform Reveal: New Helmet Style...

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Looks great, and it's a great strategy to debut the helmets for the ETSU game. Hopefully these won't be forever tied to bad memories like the snow bowl helmets.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Are we transitioning to the script State helmets permanently? This is the third time we’ve worn them this season. If it was a special one off design, we wouldn’t be wearing it multiple times in multiple colors, right?

TorchingTime

Aug 25, 2012
Are we transitioning to the script State helmets permanently? This is the third time we’ve worn them this season. If it was a special one off design, we wouldn’t be wearing it multiple times in multiple colors, right?

It was also in the background of the new Palmerio graphics that went up recently inside the Palmerio center.

Reactions: AFDawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Good question.

I'm going to say NO because of this reason...

But it would be a Mississippi State thing to use a Helmet Design that future students can't read. **

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Good question.

But it would be a Mississippi State thing to use a Helmet Design that future students can't read. **

Did that really happen? My 3rd grader is writing in cursive right now. Or did they take it out then realize it was a mistake and put it back in?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I hope so. I have been a big proponent of trying to own "State" as well.

M-State sucks. It just does.
"Miss State" sounds like "Mrs. or Ms. State" we already have the powder blue ladies up north known as Miss.
Michigan State owns MSU nationally.
"State" is up for grabs. Florida State goes with FSU. NC State gets it a little bit, but they are NC State. State is ours for the taking. Hell even the Dr Pepper commercials went maroon and white for their "State" team in the commercials.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Did that really happen? My 3rd grader is writing in cursive right now. Or did they take it out then realize it was a mistake and put it back in?

It varies by states' educational standards.

From the National Education Association earlier this year:
There are currently 21 states that require cursive in public school curriculum, but the debate about keyboarding versus cursive rages on. NEA Today asked our Facebook followers what they think. Among these educators, we found members of Team Cursive, Team Keyboarding, as well as Team "Both." Here’s what they had to say.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I hope so. I have been a big proponent of trying to own "State" as well.

M-State sucks. It just does.
"Miss State" sounds like "Mrs. or Ms. State" we already have the powder blue ladies up north known as Miss.
Michigan State owns MSU nationally.
"State" is up for grabs. Florida State goes with FSU. NC State gets it a little bit, but they are NC State. State is ours for the taking. Hell even the Dr Pepper commercials went maroon and white for their "State" team in the commercials.
Here we go again.... only Mississippi State fans hate their official logo.

you said it yourself. Even Dr Pepper uses "State" for its mythical non descript ad school. The word "State" is a beloved term for Mississippi State University but is so plain and generic it is used by a national brand for a mythical school.

A school using using Just the word &tate would be meaningless nation wide and not give a consumer any idea who the word represents specifically.

As for the University pumping the word lately, it is an attempt to sell merchandise. Nothing more.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Well, that's pretty stupid. If I lived somewhere that didn't teach it, I guess we'd have extra homework. So much of our history is contained in documents and letters written in cursive. Can you imagine going to the National Archives and looking at the Constitution and not having a clue what it says? I guess it looks like Arabic or something to those who never learned cursive.

Teach them cursive and typing. As one teacher states, it's likely they won't even be typing in 15 years as voice to text gains popularity.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Because it sucks. It sucks long sweaty balls.
Talking about nondescript... Wear M-State somewhere outside of Mississippi for a while.

I get Montana State all the time. I have gotten plenty of Missouri State. When I was in Texas people would ask me fairly often if I went to Midwestern State in Wichita Falls. Just recently a group of 4 of us were all wearing our M-State gear at a distillery the day before the Kentucky game and when we were talking to a guy who's daughter goes to Tennessee about going to see the game. We were talking for 5 minutes before we realized he thought we were Michigan State fans.

M-State is every bit as generic as State. Difference is when you watch/listen to the games or talking heads (local or national), nobody is going to say "M-State is taking the field... M-State has a good defense... M-State gets the ball to start the 2nd half."

Why would we brand something nobody will ever say is silly. It's like Coca-Cola coming up with a 17ing C-Cola logo. The brand is MSU/Mississippi State/State not 17ing M-State... It sounds like something Lumberg from Office Space would call State.

patdog

May 28, 2007

you said it yourself. Even Dr Pepper uses "State" for its mythical non descript ad school. The word "State" is a beloved term for Mississippi State University but is so plain and generic it is used by a national brand for a mythical school.

A school using using Just the word &tate would be meaningless nation wide and not give a consumer any idea who the word represents specifically.

As for the University pumping the word lately, it is an attempt to sell merchandise. Nothing more.
That's what a lot of people don't realize. We don't have any identity with a State logo. It is the most generic thing ever. Just about every state has a school called State. People in North Carolina don't say NC State, they say State. People in Michigan don't say Michigan State, they say State. It's just a very bland and generic logo. Not particularly much worse than what we have, but at least we have a 20+ year history and identity behind that one.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Some of what you are saying definitely makes sense but there's another side to the argument that I think you're missing here. I grew up in MS hearing tsun fans call us "STATE" & while living in Memphis and Nawlins', heard Memphis, Pig, UT, and LSU fans call us "STATE". I'm sure lots of AU and Bamer fans refer to us as "STATE" as well. I will say though that being out here in Fort Worth the last 17-18 years or so that that is not the case out here and I'm sure it's the same the further you get away from STATE's Region. I think you are wrong saying that it's just a push to sell merchandise. To me, it seems apparent we are pushing for this Brand and not meant to be just a mere gimmick. Personally I like the idea and it were to be pulled off to where "STATE" became a known name outside our region to football fans would be cool as hell. Gonna be interesting to see how it works out.

Reactions: AFDawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Looks that way, but rumor is we're going to also see the MSU interlocking logo soon (probably next year).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

We don't have an official logo. Never have. That's the problem. We just went with the banner M-State, well, because. It's safe to say it didn't really 'stick'.

I don't know if script State is the answer. I sort of just like STATE, like the sweatshirt Leach wears. But M-State is no different than the bully or the interlocking MSU. The only true logo we have the MS in baseball.

We need a simple logo, one way or another. To me, it's either banner M-State, script State or block STATE. This should go on the helmets, basketball jerseys and at least one baseball jersey.

We at least got the Hail State greeting part right, finally.

This should be the new AD's priority, along with fund-raising.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Good question.

It's a crying shame that cursive isn't taught (or perhaps wasn't taught - may be now again) in schools. Those folks can't even read the Declaration of Independence.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It's a crying shame that cursive isn't taught (or perhaps wasn't taught - may be now again) in schools. Those folks can't even read the Declaration of Independence.
Actually my youngest (age 16) hasn’t been formally taught cursive. His great aunt sent him a letter in cursive for his birthday, he accurately read every word. If one can read printed English, reading cursive isn’t much of a stretch.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's an internet myth. The official brand can be found here......

https://www.brand.msstate.edu/identity/index.php
I'm talking about acceptance. I know Stricklin went that route and it was supposed to be official. So my wording was wrong, but the point remains. Nobody likes it.

I suppose we can still be 'State' even with the M-State logo. But either way it's obvious they are tinkering with this deal, else we wouldn't have worn the script State logo now 3 times (counting this weekend).

Last edited:
Reactions: Olegreyboy

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
It’d be even better if it were also on the chest logo instead of the word mark.

Poppy IV

Nov 24, 2016
why not a white stripe down the middle of the maroon helmet like the maroon stripe on the white helmet?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
It also amazes me when I see youngsters hacking away at a snales pace using only their index fingers reminding me how thankful I am for that electric typewriter class as a H.S. freshman back in '78.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Well, that's pretty stupid. If I lived somewhere that didn't teach it, I guess we'd have extra homework. So much of our history is contained in documents and letters written in cursive. Can you imagine going to the National Archives and looking at the Constitution and not having a clue what it says? I guess it looks like Arabic or something to those who never learned cursive.

Teach them cursive and typing. As one teacher states, it's likely they won't even be typing in 15 years as voice to text gains popularity.
Surely you’re not surprised by this. Our nation’s education system has decided that it’s more important to focus on social issues and feelings than actually doing their job of providing an education. Learning about the three Rs is so passé.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
And teachers’ unions wonder why people have lost faith in the public school system.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

The MState is going away soon. Good chance State is our new helmet logo. But the MSU is coming back soon too.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Surely you’re not surprised by this. Our nation’s education system has decided that it’s more important to focus on social issues and feelings than actually doing their job of providing an education. Learning about the three Rs is so passé.
I'm calling ******** here. This is social media and clickbait news driven hype. My kids have been in 3 different school districts over the last 4 years. And due to covid, we have been a hell of a lot more involved in our kids education at public schools than any cohort of parents in modern history.

I never hear squat about "social issues" outside of the heavy emphasis on antibullying. I'm friends with several of the elementary teachers at our school and they are extremely intelligent and spend lots of time learning about better ways to get all of the kids to understand the information... Math in particular. They use lots of computer based programs in lieu of writing on the chalkboard to allow each kid to learn at a faster or slower rate for a given topic. They don't and won't touch social **** with a 20' pole. Not worth the hassle.

We are in a tiny little rural school district in BFE, but our little school has multiple resources for kids with dyslexia and ADHD. 30 years ago, these kids were dumped into Special Ed and left in the dust. Now they're moving along and actually overcoming they're challenges and getting into college and doing well. I'm shocked by how much better public education is than when I was in school in the 80's and 90's.

I'm concerned about the cursive thing, because in public schools we are actually losing the soft skills to focus more on the hard skills. It's not math and reading that are being cut, it's art and music. Typing is much more pragmatic than cursive... As would be Mandarin vs Latin, but I believe education should be well rounded and expose kids to move than math and science.

I think too many people get worked up about propaganda they see on TV and social media and don't have a clue of what is actually happening in their schools. While I am sure you can find great examples of the one off somewhere in a school district that has kids learning about CRT, I haven't seen Jack and nobody I know with kids has either...

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm calling ******** here. This is social media and clickbait news driven hype. My kids have been in 3 different school districts over the last 4 years. And due to covid, we have been a hell of a lot more involved in our kids education at public schools than any cohort of parents in modern history.

I never hear squat about "social issues" outside of the heavy emphasis on antibullying. I'm friends with several of the elementary teachers at our school and they are extremely intelligent and spend lots of time learning about better ways to get all of the kids to understand the information... Math in particular. They use lots of computer based programs in lieu of writing on the chalkboard to allow each kid to learn at a faster or slower rate for a given topic. They don't and won't touch social **** with a 20' pole. Not worth the hassle.

We are in a tiny little rural school district in BFE, but our little school has multiple resources for kids with dyslexia and ADHD. 30 years ago, these kids were dumped into Special Ed and left in the dust. Now they're moving along and actually overcoming they're challenges and getting into college and doing well. I'm shocked by how much better public education is than when I was in school in the 80's and 90's.

I'm concerned about the cursive thing, because in public schools we are actually losing the soft skills to focus more on the hard skills. It's not math and reading that are being cut, it's art and music. Typing is much more pragmatic than cursive... As would be Mandarin vs Latin, but I believe education should be well rounded and expose kids to move than math and science.

I think too many people get worked up about propaganda they see on TV and social media and don't have a clue of what is actually happening in their schools. While I am sure you can find great examples of the one off somewhere in a school district that has kids learning about CRT, I haven't seen Jack and nobody I know with kids has either...
Depends on where you live. I have friends in the midwest (Wis) that complain about the crazy stuff they are having to navigate at their school. Our school district was fortunate to identify some craziness a couple of years ago and enough parents and teachers revolted to get the problem resolved.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Why are my pants wet?
Poop Parents GIF by Natalie Palamides

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I've posted on this before. It's all about consistency, and we've never had it at MSU. There have been almost 40 different helmet designs since 1952.

We changed basic designs about every 4 years on average with about 18 "special design" helmets.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I'm talking about acceptance. I know Stricklin went that route and it was supposed to be official. So my wording was wrong, but the point remains. Nobody likes it.

I suppose we can still be 'State' even with the M-State logo. But either way it's obvious they are tinkering with this deal, else we wouldn't have worn the script State logo now 3 times (counting this weekend).
Your wording was more than wrong -- you made a false statement, which @Maroon13 astutely corrected.

MSU has been inconsistent in in helmet design since 1962, which is in alignment with its football record performance (inconsistent).

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012

Count yourself fortunate then if you’re school isn’t sneaking in social and emotional stuff. I’m in a very red county in a very red state and it’s made it’s way into elementary curriculum here.
I don’t mind schools trying to get kids to understand feelings and such, but not at the detriment of the essentials. With the failings that have happened to our kids’ education due to Covid, it’s more imperative that the focus be put back on the essentials to catch kids back up to where they should be.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login