Unlimited Transfers

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You only thought NIL was bad up to this point but on the other hand it might make booster think really hard before giving money to a athlete.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
College athletics are now professional leagues where players get paid directly and are only signed to a 1 year contract. And there are no salary caps.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Still gotta stay academically eligible. Good luck keeping your grades up while transferring multiple times in an academic year.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
What is the fix?

I think when we evolve into the proverbial P-2 super conferences then the NCAA will no longer get to write the rules ... I think the conferences will get together and write a new rule book but that could still take a while.

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
The fix is for someone or a group of someone's to look out for the best interests of college football. That's certainly not happening. It's going to damage the sport in time.

But here are a few ideas:

1. cut 85 to 75. 20 signees/transfers per year hard cap.
2. 5 years of eligiblility, no redshirts. 4 year commitment from schools
3. 1 free transfer. Any other transfer, mandatory sit 1 year-no exceptions
4. The transfer windows are a good thing, those should help. Need to zero in on best times for transfer portal windows to be open and try to minimize the time frames.
5. Immediate expansion of playoff to 16 teams to give more teams something to play for.

A little trickier here:
1. Federal NIL guidelines needed. Enforce harsh penalties for enticements to HS players and any form of tampering.
2. Allow schools to pay a larger stipend. Limit the scope of NLI to original intentions, ie Jersey sales, autograph sessions

I have many more suggestions, but gotta run.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
yeah you right.

Dontae Jones approves of this message.

I haven't seen any portal transfers run into eligibility issues. Hell, the last transfer I heard of being academically ineligible was a State player.

I just wonder if serial transferers (transferees?) will run into academic problems - especially when they leave multiple schools in a short period of time.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think when we evolve into the proverbial P-2 super conferences then the NCAA will no longer get to write the rules ... I think the conferences will get together and write a new rule book but that could still take a while.

Oldie but a goodie. Great place to replay.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Grades will end up being either declared racist, a violation of restraint of trade laws or some other violation of these "student athletes" right to earn a living while "enrolled" in college. Plus there will eventually be a players' union that will get involved at some points. GRADES ? We don't need no stinkin grades .

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
The D1 council that recommended these includes a rep from each conference plus 4 commissioners including Greg Sankey, 2 athletes and 2 faculty. 20% of the votes are from P5 conferences, 10% from the SEC.

It isn’t like the NCAA is implementing these rules without the conferences. The conferences are recommending these changes.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Good points. Especially the first. Everyone is looking out for themselves and the short term. They are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. I think the playoff at 16 is key. Just nothing for most schools to play for right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I agree.. just stop pretending to even send them to class. They’re pro athletes. Break away from the NCAA. Form a players union. Collectively bargain for profits. Sign labor contracts and let’s play ball.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
As for your second nos. 1 & 2... The Supreme Court has already spoken. Schools might not be able to pay players but anybody else can and the sky is the limit on amounts.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I have been trying to think through this, I think Leach made a great point at Media Days. We have to make a clear definition of what is a student athlete and what is a professional.

It's time to just make the players employees. Give them benefits, vacation, retirement and a reasonable salary. At that point conferences and universities can create salary caps, minimum and maximum wages, etc. Make it fair. Let them form a union if they do choose.

I'm not certain how it applies with the recent NIL ruling, but in an employee and employer relationship, I am pretty sure the schools could regulate any outside endorsement activity and NIL monies through something like this...

For example, a starting QB in the SEC has a maximum salary of $150k/year plus room board etc. Conditions of continued employment are going to class and not making outside endorsement deals or agreements that are greater than $10k. Because a large portion of your salary is compensation for the use of your name image and likeness. Basically no moonlighting, because by signing the employment contract you are giving us control of your NIL for your employment duration.

I'll let you legal eagles pick the corn out of the **** I just took with this, but I don't think we are going to like the next 2-4 years of college athletics until this gets worked out.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
The thought of having to take nine classes over a three month period gives me heartburn.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
EXACTLY!*** He accomplished more in 3 months than many students do in a year and those regular students don't have to constantly practice jumping to the rafters of the Hump. If you every saw him interviewed, you'd know the only class he couldn't squeeze into that summer was public speaking, but who among us is great at that?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
You won’t find me defending the NCAA very often, but isn’t this overseer that you’re describing the NCAA itself? At least, wasn’t that the intent of their existence?

If we want to talk about compliance enforcement, I’ll rake the NCAA through the coals like everyone else, but the one thing I can’t get out of my head is how hard they fought against all this crap for years. It’s almost like they knew the can of worms being opened, but as soon as the narrative became all about the mean ol’ NCAA forcing poor college athletes to eat ramen and the Supreme Court stepped in, it seems to me like they’ve said 17 it. Y’all wanted this **** show, well have fun with it.

I don’t know how we get back to some semblance of organized control over it, and I do think it will eventually come, but I guess the big question going to be…. is the future overseer going to be the NCAA or the super conferences themselves?

Jul 5, 2020
The issue is that the NCAA had literal decades to envision and design a better system than the one that was inevitably leading to where we are now and did nothing. Combine that with their *cough* uneven disciplinary procedures that benefited the larger schools and it's hard to find any defense for it as an organization.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login