Updated w/ pics OT: Links course at Wild Dunes in Isle of Palms, SC

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Nope, but hope you have a blast. The reviews look good. Fairways are probably too tight for me.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Thanks for the feedback. The recent reviews seem to say it's in fine shape right now. Their other course called the Harbor Course is apparently a goat ranch currently. I believe the final 3 holes are along the Atlantic on the Links course. #18 was likely was a par 5 when you played it. They've battled beach erosion for years and are about to give it another go to rebuild it (already have rebuilt twice but lost it) back into that par 5, but currently it's a par 3 with the Atlantic behind the green, so now it's a par 70.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Playing there tomorrow. Anyone ever played it? I'm very excited. Never played a Links style course before either.

https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/courses/14623-links-at-wild-dunes-golf-links
I never understood what denotes a links style course. To me it’s a sandy course with little to no trees. I see courses called links with tight fairways guarded by big water hazards and trees and that is a resort course to me. A links course to me means hitting out of carnoustie grass over a green only to end up on another hole.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
I could be wrong, but I think it rolling fairways, deep bunkers, high grasses and large slopy greens are what make it a links style course.

ETA: I'm sure some courses label their courses "link style" and it may not be very "linkish."

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
Links golf is learning to hit to a spot and not just pulling out a driver on 14 holes.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I never understood what denotes a links style course. To me it’s a sandy course with little to no trees. I see courses called links with tight fairways guarded by big water hazards and trees and that is a resort course to me. A links course to me means hitting out of carnoustie grass over a green only to end up on another hole.

Traditionally, it's coastal courses, sandy ground, very few trees and/or no big trees, lots of shrub or grass and lots of natural undulation. Lots of courses off the coast (e.g., Mossy Oak in West Point) manage to copy a lot of the features and style. Seems like lots of desert courses try to copy the style also. I feel like in the US the links style courses on the coasts tend to have a lot of marshy hazards and in the deserts, tend to have a lot of waste areas. Not really sure about traditional links in the british isles. On TV, it seems like the waste areas are a bigger deal and the water is really just along the coast without the course having a lot of water throughout it. But not sure if that's really typical or just a function of tv coverage and/or the big tournament locations being like that.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Traditionally, it's coastal courses, sandy ground, very few trees and/or no big trees, lots of shrub or grass and lots of natural undulation. Lots of courses off the coast (e.g., Mossy Oak in West Point) manage to copy a lot of the features and style. Seems like lots of desert courses try to copy the style also. I feel like in the US the links style courses on the coasts tend to have a lot of marshy hazards and in the deserts, tend to have a lot of waste areas. Not really sure about traditional links in the british isles. On TV, it seems like the waste areas are a bigger deal and the water is really just along the coast without the course having a lot of water throughout it. But not sure if that's really typical or just a function of tv coverage and/or the big tournament locations being like that.
Yeah, when I think of links I picture the Ocean Course at Kiawah or a non coastal course like Whistling Straits. Old Tom Morris was on to something. My course, Tiger Point, was drastically changed by Ivan so I see the benefits of not having a lot of trees on coastal courses. Of course the downside is slow play from people looking for their ball for 10 minutes in tall grass and waste areas.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Tunica National is a links style course and looked like one….until they decided to put trees all over the place. Totally ruined it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, when I think of links I picture the Ocean Course at Kiawah or a non coastal course like Whistling Straits. Old Tom Morris was on to something. My course, Tiger Point, was drastically changed by Ivan so I see the benefits of not having a lot of trees on coastal courses. Of course the downside is slow play from people looking for their ball for 10 minutes in tall grass and waste areas.

Slow play is ruining golf for me. For recreational golf, a four hour round should be the outside limits of acceptability. Course I play claims to enforce a 4 hour 15 minute pace of play, which is wayyy to slow to begin with, and of course it's worse than that because the slow jack asses interpret 4:15 as the goal rather than the point at which the marshal will theoretically step in, and of course they don't even meet that goal, so it's not uncommon to see an almost 5 hour pace of play on the weekend.

Golf would be so much more enjoyable if they managed for a 3.5 hour round. And for the vast majority of players, their score wouldn't change at all if they played a 3.5 hour round.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Tunica National is a links style course and looked like one….until they decided to put trees all over the place. Totally ruined it.
Played there probably 13 years ago during a trip back to 'vegas for an Arkansas game, so it was early November. Tunica National in November of 2008 is what I imagine post-apocalyptic golf feels like.

Odd decision to add trees- its the Delta and the course was clearly designed to naturally fit into the area.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Based on pictures from the link(ha!), I wouldnt call that a links course. It seems like an oceanside course or a marshlands course, at least based on the pictures.

'Links' is used way too often in the US and applied to all sorts of course designs that dont even come close to representing what 'links' means in a historical or even modern context.

Links courses are traditionally along a large body of water, have sandy soil, no trees/little vegetation besides tall grasses and low evergreen brush.
Modern links courses are all of the above, but often in open landlocked areas too, so then designers earth move the 17 out of dirt to mimic natural windswept terrain. Common open areas not near water that can be good for this style are near an airport, high deserts, and former farm land.

[h=3][/h]

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Slow play is ruining golf for me. For recreational golf, a four hour round should be the outside limits of acceptability. Course I play claims to enforce a 4 hour 15 minute pace of play, which is wayyy to slow to begin with, and of course it's worse than that because the slow jack asses interpret 4:15 as the goal rather than the point at which the marshal will theoretically step in, and of course they don't even meet that goal, so it's not uncommon to see an almost 5 hour pace of play on the weekend.

Golf would be so much more enjoyable if they managed for a 3.5 hour round. And for the vast majority of players, their score wouldn't change at all if they played a 3.5 hour round.
That’s the one thing I liked about Covid. Everyone with their own carts made the rounds so much faster.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Best day of golf in my life. I didn't lose many balls. I think I went OB 5x. I shot 89, so for me that's pretty good since I'm just coming back from a 7 year hiatus. The course was immaculate. Not a single complaint. There may have been one baked tee box and that's it. The greens had a lot of break to them even when the slope wasn't very steep. They just rolled really well. The course offered a mix of flat and elevated approach shots. The course has open parts and pretty tight spots. It's absolutely beautiful the whole way through. I knew the ocean would be a sight to see on the final few holes, but when I actually saw it, I was speechless. We also had a 4:40pm tee time, so we finished up right at sunset and it was phenomenal. I would definitely play the course again. Normally it's a $250 green fee, but twilight hours I paid $115. Small driving range and you can't hit driver bc it's short. Not really a place to practice. Small putting green too. Ranger was great and folks in the pro shop were great too (terrible selection of gear though if that's your thing to get some in a pro shop). I'd love to play the course again. Right now I have my sights on Hammock Beach The Ocean Course in Palm Coast, FL about one hour from me. Super ritzy, but I'm going to play it at some point. You have to be a guest to play it: https://www.hammockbeach.com/golf/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8uOWBhDXARIsAOxKJ2EsJrEjaixmKNNZMHpvM_VTOsb-wHYQeYLxaNOYscbzlEWe5yrBVksaAr7vEALw_wcB

View attachment 24750View attachment 24751View attachment 24752View attachment 24753View attachment 24754View attachment 24755View attachment 24756View attachment 24757View attachment 24758View attachment 24759View attachment 24760

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login