UPig Film Study vs State

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Thought this was interesting. This guy does post game film study of Hog games.

Reactions: patdog

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
This shows how many people they had open and KJ could not see it and when he did...... he just was off.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
As I've said, if Jefferson had awakened from his coma for just 5 mins, we lose that game . We and particularly Arnett were were super lucky to get out of there with a win.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
As I've said, if Jefferson had awakened from his coma for just 5 mins, we lose that game . We and specifically Arnett were were super lucky to get out of there with a win.

So there’s probably a little truth there, but a couple of things:

1. Auburn’s QB’s and receivers are even worse, so this week might be about the same.
2. You could probably find similar opportunities we missed. The most notable one was the blindside block call on Robinson that was a 50/50 call that took a long TD off the board for us.

It was ugly but we won the game and no one is gonna apologize for that.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
As I've said, if Jefferson had awakened from his coma for just 5 mins, we lose that game . We and particularly Arnett were were super lucky to get out of there with a win.
100%.

If KJ would have had a QBR of 45 instead of 15, we would have lost by 2 TDs. As bad as MW was throwing the ball, KJ was worse, way worse. Likely the worst game of his career.

Everyone wants to give the defense their flowers, but I'm not ready to crown them. Arky simply sucked. Lots of missed throws and dropped passes. Granted we did put them in position to suck, but I think it was mostly on them. It wasn't some newfound scheme or athleticism that we rolled out there.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
This looked a lot like Wyatt where we bemoan the missed opportunities. It does show that we DIDN'T solve our problem of shallow middle, but only that Ark just didn't take advantage of it for some weird reason.

Also show that for teams like MSU and ARK that aren't going to be able to win with better athletes than other SEC teams that finding players that can execute is way, way more important and that will never show up on recruiting rankings. Running crisp routes, not rounding off blocks, understanding the play concept just matter so much. Some of that is players and some of that is coaching.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Speaking of Film Studies, has Matt Wyatt stopped doing his? The last one he did for us was South Carolina.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’ll say again that if Arnett or essentially any of our coaches had pulled what Pittman did with that indecisive FG turned delay of game turned punt, I’d be ready to fire him on the spot. 3 TOs in his pocket to stop and think about it, yet he took the delay flag and then punted. Absolutely ridiculous

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I’ll say again that if Arnett or essentially any of our coaches had pulled what Pittman did with that indecisive FG turned delay of game turned punt, I’d be ready to fire him on the spot. 3 TOs in his pocket to stop and think about it, yet he took the delay flag and then punted. Absolutely ridiculous
And even worse than this is him actually admitting that he didn't know what to do in that spot during the post game interview.

Their FG kicker is damn near automatic out to 55.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I can't fathom how this team managed to go toe to toe with both Bama and LSU.

Reactions: Mud84

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
And even worse than this is him actually admitting that he didn't know what to do in that spot during the post game interview.

Their FG kicker is damn near automatic out to 55.
I haven't heard the audio yet, but I did hear Hadad mention that on yesterday's podcast. Just unbelievable, but it makes sense because I remember thinking during the moment that I could not believe that Pittman wasn't going absolutely apeshit on somebody on the sideline. Well, I guess that's hard to do when you're the one that messed up

If that entire sequence doesn't scream that a coach is mentally checked out, I don't know what does

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It wasn't some newfound scheme or athleticism that we rolled out there.

Not athleticism, but it was a lot of new stuff scheme wise. We played tons of shell coverage and 2-high safeties. Almost zero man coverage. We blitzed maybe 5 times the whole game. Everything was the opposite of what our D has done for 3.5 years, which is the right move to make when we’ve been burned repeatedly deep down the field in man coverage. We also tackled much better in the open field than we have all year.

Were there guys open for Arkansas? Sure. No defense in history has ever played a game where there weren’t dozens of cases of open receivers against them. But a lot of their open guys were supposed to be open….by design we were giving them short / intermediate routes to make them sustain drives. At the end of the day, the defense pitched a virtual shut-out. And not only did they not allow a score after the opening INT / FG, Arkansas didn’t really even come close to the end zone the whole game. You can’t not give credit to both our players and coaches for that.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Not athleticism, but it was a lot of new stuff scheme wise. We played tons of shell coverage and 2-high safeties. Almost zero man coverage. We blitzed maybe 5 times the whole game. Everything was the opposite of what our D has done for 3.5 years, which is the right move to make when we’ve been burned repeatedly deep down the field in man coverage. We also tackled much better in the open field than we have all year.

Were there guys open for Arkansas? Sure. No defense in history has ever played a game where there weren’t dozens of cases of open receivers against them. But a lot of their open guys were supposed to be open….by design we were giving them short / intermediate routes to make them sustain drives. At the end of the day, the defense pitched a virtual shut-out. And not only did they not allow a score after the opening INT / FG, Arkansas didn’t really even come close to the end zone the whole game. You can’t not give credit to both our players and coaches for that.
Arnett said in his presser that nothing changed and was new. No new coverages or blitzes, just better execution.
But he had to be calling plays more.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Nice pick play by Arkansas on KJs missed TD pass. Should have been a flag.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Or, you could watch our film study and draw the sane conclusions. Literally every game has missed opportunities for every team. Y'all are ridiculous.
We squatted on a 4 point lead in an SEC road game for a half with a defense that up til Saturday had been awful and got away with it. That's stupid coaching and we weren't just lucky, we were damn lucky.

Reactions: patdog

Rezdog

Oct 25, 2015
We squatted on a 4 point lead in an SEC road game for a half with a defense that up til Saturday had been awful and got away with it. That's stupid coaching and we weren't just lucky, we were damn lucky.
That has nothing to do with my response. I agree, coaching is awful. I'm just saying, we obviously missed plays too. It goes both ways.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
At least our coach is a rookie that was probably a HC before he was ready. I can expect some bonehead mistakes.

Pittman isn’t that. At worst you blow a timeout you shouldn’t have

Reactions: GloryDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Arnett said in his presser that nothing changed and was new. No new coverages or blitzes, just better execution.
But he had to be calling plays more.
Yeah, that’s a little bit of coachspeak.

I certainly don’t think we rolled out anything exotic or brand new from a coverage, alignment / formation, or blitz standpoint….not more than a small handful of things anyway. But we did a lot of new things situationally as far as when and how often we called certain things. And I don’t expect Arnett to get up there in a public press conference and explain what changes were made there because he probably wants to keep rolling with some of them in the future…..no need to do the opponents film review for them.

Nov 25, 2019
that's when the girl gave the thumb down!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login