Us Jets fans are cursed

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
As a dolphins fan, I was hoping rogers was Russell Wilson this year but definitely sucks to see him get hurt 3 plays in. Hopefully nothing too serious

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
My bad.... my fantasy football opponent has the Buffalo defense. I needed the jets to light them up. Some kind of 6 degrees of Dogs jinx.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Just got home... Does God have an ankle? I mean, he's enough to deal with having the personality, he does. It felt like the media over-hyped everything Rodgers did this off-season. I don't care for him personally, but I hope he's not badly injured. I don't want him badly injured. I went through an Achilles reconstruction. I heard them mention that. They said the x-rays were negative, but they are worried about something worse.

The Sports Media is now a victim of their own making. They were talking about Rodgers more than all the other QBs in total.

Biggest thing is I've always been a New York Jets fan on the side and I really hate it for him and the fans.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That's strange.

Yesterday... I saw a player fall on his stomach and accidentally trip another player who ran over with his body while he was face down on the ground.... called a penalty for Tripping.

During the end of that return, I saw one blocker leg whip trip an opposing player in front of everyone called TD.

Weird.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
That's strange.

Yesterday... I saw a player fall on his stomach and accidentally trip another player who ran over with his body while he was face down on the ground.... called a penalty for Tripping.

During the end of that return, I saw one blocker leg whip trip an opposing player in front of everyone called TD.

Weird.
I didn’t know that SEC Refs called NFL games.

Dawgs_4_life

Jun 12, 2014
I'm not even a Jets fan, but that hurt my soul. To go from Aaron F*n Rodgers and all that hype back to Zach Wilson in one possession, oooofffff.......

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Josh Allen is my quarterback. I am not good at fantasy football, as Tua was on my bench this week. Again, fantasy football is stupid, and I suck at it.
That’s not how fantasy works tho. If you draft a guy high like Allen you have to ride him. If you flip flop QBs like that you’ve wasted a high draft pick.

Reactions: 11thEagleFan

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You got to be 17 kidding me.

I’m not sure “cursed” is the correct term. The injury sucks, but the Jets made a pretty terrible bed for themselves that they now must lie in. A season ending injury was always a far more likely outcome for a 40 year old QB coming off the worst season of his career than him somehow having an MVP year on the way to the Super Bowl.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I hate it for Rodgers. I won't say he is though because of what they can accomplish medically today. 39 is a different world for an NFL QB who has to be able to physically rehab a torn Achilles tendon.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I hate it for Rodgers. I won't say he is though because of what they can accomplish medically today. 39 is a different world for an NFL QB who has to be able to physically rehab a torn Achilles tendon.
At QB, his chances of coming back this year for at least the playoffs are not zero. The Achilles tear is usually a career ender for RB’s sooner or later, but that’s due to how much explosiveness and agility is lost more than not being able to move around.

Cam Akers miraculously made it back in the same season 2 years ago from the same injury. He played absolutely terrible for the Rams in the playoffs, is still terrible, but he was on the field and could at least run around. For a 40-year old QB who doesn’t depend on his legs / agility as much as a RB or WR, I could see him still being productive in the playoffs IF the Jets could get there without him (and they almost did last year).

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Rodgers gets $75M guaranteed. For those counting that is $18.75M per snap last night if his career is over.

He signed a 3 year deal with that $75M guaranteed. If he plays in 2024 and 2025 he will get an additional $75M for those 2 seasons ($32.25M each year).

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Rodgers gets $75M guaranteed. For those counting that is $18.75M per snap last night if his career is over.

He signed a 3 year deal with that $75M guaranteed. If he plays in 2024 and 2025 he will get an additional $75M for those 2 seasons ($32.25M each year).
What’s more important than what he actually gets paid is his hit on the cap. He’s getting $36 million this year in actual cash, but only $8.8 million counts against the cap. Similar amount next year but only $17 million counts against the cap. That sucks because this year and next year were his cap friendly seasons where they could build around him.

However, in 2025, he counts $51.5 million against the cap if he’s still playing, and still almost that much in dead cap ($49 million), even if he retires or is cut. When you’re talking about a 42 year old QB, that’s just about a guaranteed down year for the Jets under any scenario.

So what you’re left with…..the Jets essentially gave Green Bay two 2nd round picks, let a pretty decent back-up QB in Mike White walk in free agency, paid a 40-year-old $75 million guaranteed in actual cash, and also made an early reservation 2 years out for a shítshow season in 2025. All just for what will now be, maybe, one year of a 41-year-old QB leading a team that probably will not have legitimate Super Bowl prospects. That is why the Jets are the Jets.

Reactions: onewoof

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I’m not sure “cursed” is the correct term. The injury sucks, but the Jets made a pretty terrible bed for themselves that they now must lie in. A season ending injury was always a far more likely outcome for a 40 year old QB coming off the worst season of his career than him somehow having an MVP year on the way to the Super Bowl.
Then you don't know Jets History. This is not the first time. I think Sonny Werblin sold the Jets soul to the Devil for Superbowl III victory. I told my wife during the last Hard Knocks this year that they have gotten my hopes up and being a Jets fan I just know Aaron Rodgers is going down some time this season like the ones below. It only took 4 plays.

The kind of season-ending injury that is threatening Rodgers has happened to multiple Jets quarterbacks:
  1. In 1999, Vinny Testaverde tore his Achilles tendon and was out.
  2. In 2005, a shoulder injury brought starting quarterback Chad Pennington down.
  3. Then — in that same game in 2005 — backup quarterback Jay Fiedler also went down with a season-ending shoulder injury.
  4. In 2008, the Jets came close to joining the playoffs, but Favre's torn bicep hindered his performance. After leaving the Jets, his career improved.
And that doesn't even count the Butt Fumble

And it is not that recent. Here is a Bleacher Report article from 2011 Jets Curse

So just google Jets curse and you will see a bunch more.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Then you don't know Jets History. This is not the first time. I think Sonny Werblin sold the Jets soul to the Devil for Superbowl III victory. I told my wife during the last Hard Knocks this year that they have gotten my hopes up and being a Jets fan I just know Aaron Rodgers is going down some time this season like the ones below. It only took 4 plays.

The kind of season-ending injury that is threatening Rodgers has happened to multiple Jets quarterbacks:
  1. In 1999, Vinny Testaverde tore his Achilles tendon and was out.
  2. In 2005, a shoulder injury brought starting quarterback Chad Pennington down.
  3. Then — in that same game in 2005 — backup quarterback Jay Fiedler also went down with a season-ending shoulder injury.
  4. In 2008, the Jets came close to joining the playoffs, but Favre's torn bicep hindered his performance. After leaving the Jets, his career improved.
And that doesn't even count the Butt Fumble

And it is not that recent. Here is a Bleacher Report article from 2011 Jets Curse

So just google Jets curse and you will see a bunch more.

My point was moreso that the Jets organization does many things to curse themselves, and the Rodgers deal was certainly one of them even if he didn’t get hurt.

Rodgers obviously was one of the greatest to ever play….but that was a few years ago. He was 26th in the NFL in QBR in 2022, and 17th in passer rating…..both career lows. Names ahead of him on both lists are embarrassing. He’s 40 years old. And, the Jets were within an eyelash of making the playoffs last season even with a total revolving door at QB due to injuries. For the first time in over a decade, they weren’t that far off. Yet, they still saw fit to both grossly overpay and mortgage the future on an over the hill QB that was not much of an upgrade over any of the current personnel at this stage of his career. It was just a dumb move, made worse by them letting Mike White walk in free agency before the dust was settled.

Last edited:

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
None of that changes the curse. I liked the move because NFL is only about now. 2 years from now just doesn't matter by design. If Aaron just played bad this year, then you have a potential argument. But we won't get to see that because of the curse. Denver won a Superbowl with a Manning that was in way worse shape than Aaron. The Favre season they were really in the hunt until the arm injury.

Have the jests done dumb stuff? Absolutely. Just look at their drafts for years when the draft was always in NY. When it was their pick there was always a chorus of boos because their pick never made sense.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login