US OPEN at LACC

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Watching the course overview on Golf Channel, and I can't wait for this tournament to start. I've never seen LACC before. It is absolutely beautiful, and each hole presents a unique challenge.

5 par 3s, and 3 par 5s. The Par 3s will range from 80 yards up to 300+ during the 4 rounds. Several surprisingly short par 4 birdie opportunities, with 1 par 4 being under 300 (compared to par 3s over 300).

The final 3 holes are all long par 4s that will play over 500 in the final round.

Also, everyone is getting paid this weekend. There is a cut, of course, but even the MCs will receive a check just for being there.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
If the greens dry out as expected, this will be a hard course. Don’t dare hit it into the rough or those bunkers surround by fescue. I have noticed LIV players and PGA are playing nice with each other, this week.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I'm very excited. This course looks like it'll be challenging and has some really cool holes. For those who haven't seen the course.....

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Lots of television coverage as well. Peacock starts at 8:40 a.,m., USA takes over at noon, and NBC has evening coverage from 7-10. Some specialized coverage on USOpen.com (certain holes and certain groups).

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
Doesnt look too challenging so far. Fairways are SO wide. Length doesnt affect most of these guys. They need it to dry out to make this difficult.
Pretty course. Lots of slope.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
There is going to be lower scoring than we are used to in the US Open since there are some serious scoring opportunities. But missing the fairway is brutal.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Watching the course overview on Golf Channel, and I can't wait for this tournament to start. I've never seen LACC before. It is absolutely beautiful, and each hole presents a unique challenge.

5 par 3s, and 3 par 5s. The Par 3s will range from 80 yards up to 300+ during the 4 rounds. Several surprisingly short par 4 birdie opportunities, with 1 par 4 being under 300 (compared to par 3s over 300).

The final 3 holes are all long par 4s that will play over 500 in the final round.

Also, everyone is getting paid this weekend. There is a cut, of course, but even the MCs will receive a check just for being there.
Thanks for that post. Good job.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Doesnt look too challenging so far. Fairways are SO wide. Length doesnt affect most of these guys. They need it to dry out to make this difficult.
Pretty course. Lots of slope.
It looks like it does slope a lot on TV. It's probably tougher, to judge your distance, and more traumatic in person. If these greens keep playing that easily we're gonna have some high scores this week.

If you do miss those wide fairways, you are really in trouble.

ETA-these guys are throwing darts from the fairways. This place is playing a lot easier than I thought it would.

Last edited:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I don't mind seeing a golfer punished for a bad shot but too often I've watched U.S. Opens where the greens are like what you'd see at Putt Putt Golf and Games. Two golfers hit the green about the same spot yet one's left with a birdie chance while the other watches his ball roll 15 yards off the green. I don't like seeing good shots penalized to extreme degrees. I also hate those deep assed bunkers in the middle of The UK's Fairways.

Last edited:
Reactions: HRMSU

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Fowler and Schauffle with 62’s, breaking the Miller record which stood for fifty years.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Looks like they need to let the greens grow out 6 inches or so to toughen up this piece of cake.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's beginning to look like it will be one big shootout with all the prominent names in golf for this major tournament. I don't know that I've ever seen the top of the leaderboard in a major tournament have this many people in contention. You were going to see some serious nerves pop up on Sunday.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I love prime time US Open. I'd be fine if they hosted on the West coast every year just to make my viewing experience better. The family is upstairs in bed and I'm drinking bourbon watching live golf after 9pm. Love my fam but I AM GOOD WITH THIS.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I love prime time US Open. I'd be fine if they hosted on the West coast every year just to make my viewing experience better. The family is upstairs in bed and I'm drinking bourbon watching live golf after 9pm. Love my fam but I AM GOOD WITH THIS.
I must admit that it was a lot of fun I can't wait until this weekend.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Today could be a fun day. Marine layer is gone and everything will be firm and fast. Yesterday afternoon got difficult for the players. And it seems the USGA has let the players have their birdies but are ready for carnage with these pin locations.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Koepka says the course is too easy. The man who shot -16 in the 2017 US Open says he thinks the course should be set up so the winning score is around even par. He's not wrong, but this obviously is not the first time a US Open course has given up low scores.

I do agree with him that some hole sen the majority of shots to pretty much the same location. That is a little boring.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"I do agree with him that some hole sen the majority of shots to pretty much the same location. That is a little boring."

So is their weather . Sunny, 74 degrees with a 10mph breeze . No thunderstorms, flood watches or heat advisories. Zzzzzzzz. **

Last edited:
Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
What's happened to Justin Thomas lately? He seems to have lost his game.

Mentioning Fowler saying he was going to lay up on the Par 3 reminded me of JT hitting the fat shot on a Par 3 last year that got halfway to the hole.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
What's happened to Justin Thomas lately? He seems to have lost his game.

Mentioning Fowler saying he was going to lay up on the Par 3 reminded me of JT hitting the fat shot on a Par 3 last year that got halfway to the hole.
I think his putter has been balky as hell this year from what Ive seen. I know that 81 yesterday stung like hell!

That par 3 is officially 83 yards today LMAO! Cant wait to see this play out!

Reactions: RocketDawg

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I think his putter has been balky as hell this year from what Ive seen. I know that 81 yesterday stung like hell!

That par 3 is officially 83 yards today LMAO! Cant wait to see this play out!
Those guys can play a 300 yarder but I'll bet a lot miss the green on the 83 yarder. The ones going out early will have a better chance since the green will have more moisture than later in the day.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
It's on now for the next 10 hours.

The market value of the LACC property must be staggering.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
It's on now for the next 10 hours.

The market value of the LACC property must be staggering.
I've heard a lot of numbers thrown around from they could buy Riviera and give every member 250M to 1.5 to 3.0B. Who knows but it's a lot.

As a side note, anyone else have to look up the definition of barranca earlier this week? Guess you can't be calling it a "ditch" at LACC or the US Open.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I've heard a lot of numbers thrown around from they could buy Riviera and give every member 250M to 1.5 to 3.0B. Who knows but it's a lot.

As a side note, anyone else have to look up the definition of barranca earlier this week? Guess you can't be calling it a "ditch" at LACC or the US Open.
I did, and the announcers love to use the word, as well as mentioning Bermudagrass fairways as something you might find on Venus or somewhere. Just guessing, I'd say that most courses in the US have either Bermuda or zoysia fairways.

How long will we have to listen to the nasally and overly dramatic voice of Morgan Pressel? Hopefully they change announcing crews before long.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Here’s a crazy breakdown on the clubs finances and how they also get property tax breaks

Reactions: MSUDOG24

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Rickie Fowler still playing good golf. McElroy keeps ring moving back and forth like he usually does

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm going to enjoy watching the contenders play this thing out, but I must say I have no interest in watching guys with zero chance play for over 4 hours prior to the leaders teeing off.

We're a long way from the days when only the back nine at the Masters was aired. Certainly it's better than infomercials on a Sunday though and I guess they must get decent ratings.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Keep an eye on Tommy Fleetwood. Two eagles so far. He's -8 through 14 on today's round, -6 overall.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login