USFL Coaches

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
They have announced the first four coaches for the USFL franchises. Kevin Sumlin is coaching the Houston franchise, Todd Haley coaching the Tampa Bay franchise, Mike Riley is coaching the New Jersey franchise and Bart Andrus (coached in the CFL and NFL Europe) is coaching the Philadelphia franchise.

Kickoff in 100 days. Curious to see what type of players they get.

Nov 29, 2017
I saw something about Chizik as being a potential candidate. Should be interesting. I never turn down watching any form of football.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Are the teams owned by the league or individual also are they playing all the games in the same stadium?

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Are the teams owned by the league or individual also are they playing all the games in the same stadium?

Not sure on who owns the team. The first season all games will be played in one city. Birmingham is trying to be host city for the first season. They hope to play games in home markets in the 2nd season.

It looks like Chizik will be the Birmingham coach. Marvin Lewis may also coach one of the teams.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Why on earth would anyone spend time & money developing a football league that’ll be lucky to last one full season?

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
It’s like communism: there’s always someone thinking they can make it succeed, but they never do.*

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I believe I read that they’re trying to find individual buyers for each team.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Why on earth would anyone spend time & money developing a football league that’ll be lucky to last one full season?

I agree, but there are a lot of people on this board that swear we need a minor league football league for the NFL and that college football should go back to walk-ons and wooden bleachers.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
It’s like communism: there’s always someone thinking they can make it succeed, but they never do.*

Here is the problem with that. The USFL was successful as a spring feeder league. The problem became when a new owner came into power with lots of influence in it's 2nd year and this guys ego could not handle being 2nd fiddle to the NFL. He wanted to be top dog and go head to head with the NFL instead of a complimentary league as it existed. The USFL was a profitable, viable league and this guy bankrupted it because of his ego.

Here was his famous slogan: [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]"If God wanted football in the spring," he once said, "he wouldn't have created baseball." [/FONT]

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I agree, but there are a lot of people on this board that swear we need a minor league football league for the NFL and that college football should go back to walk-ons and wooden bleachers.

You seen the price for 2x10s lately? We'd go broke.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Here is the problem with that. The USFL was successful as a spring feeder league. The problem became when a new owner came into power with lots of influence in it's 2nd year and this guys ego could not handle being 2nd fiddle to the NFL. He wanted to be top dog and go head to head with the NFL instead of a complimentary league as it existed. The USFL was a profitable, viable league and this guy bankrupted it because of his ego.

Here was his famous slogan: "If God wanted football in the spring," he once said, "he wouldn't have created baseball."

Oh goody...yet another TDS sufferer. I suppose you think "Brandon" is doing just great.

patdog

May 28, 2007
They were overspending even before Trump came into the league, but there's no doubt that the move to the fall to compete directly with the NFL that was spearheaded by Trump was the death knell for the USFL.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login