Veazey Blog: The SEC Tournament: Fans Not Allowed

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
<span style="font-size: small; font-family: trebuchetms,geneva;">
</span></p>

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: trebuchetms,geneva;">
Ticket Disaster
</span></p>
<span style="font-size: small; font-family: trebuchetms,geneva;">We have resolution, it seems, in how the SEC Tournament will play out. But it's bad, bad news for those of you holding tickets.</span></p>

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: trebuchetms,geneva;">Georgia has released the following:</span></p><span style="font-size: small; font-family: trebuchetms,geneva;">ATLANTA ---- Tipoff time and venue for Georgia's second-round Southeastern Conference Basketball Tournament game against Kentucky have been re-scheduled. The Bulldogs and Wildcats' game, originally slated for Friday night at 9:45 p.m., will now start Saturday at 12 Noon and will be played at Georgia Tech's Alexander Memorial Coliseum.
Semifinal-round games will also be played Saturday at Georgia Tech. Tennessee will face Arkansas at 6:00 p.m., and Mississippi State will face the Georgia-Kentucky winner approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of the first semifinal.
The SEC Tournament championship game will be played at Georgia Tech at the previously scheduled time of 1:00 p.m. (EDT).
For all four remaining tournament games, admission will be limited to players' families, as well as anyone holding a working credential.
The Georgia-Kentucky game was postponed from its original time and site because of damage to the Georgia Dome caused by a possible tornado in the downtown Atlanta area Friday night.</span>

MSUbravesfan

Jun 20, 2006
if they are going to refund the people who bought tickets. I'd be pissed, especially if I were a KY fan. Hell, they didn't even get to see their team play a game, but it couldn't have happened to a better group of people.

jsireland

Sep 1, 2003
well, that makes perfect sense.

i understand that there are plenty of logistical concerns, probably more than i am aware of, but contesting the sec tournament without the fans is stupid.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
By the way, everyone ought to go to the Kentucky boards and read. Unreal stuff being said over there.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
What you have to look at is one, that the structural damage to the Dome is unknown at the moment and two, the debris on the streets of downtown Atlanta around the Dome is everywhere causing some traffic and logistical nightmares so they had no choice. I believe with daybreak coming soon in Atlanta we will see what kind of damage.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
and I wouldn`t propose anything different. The only way to make the situation better would be a way to get a thousand or so fans from each school into the game but then you`d have to deal with the murders that would subsequently be committed by the KY fans that didn`t get in. I think when all is said and done and people realize how close this came to being an epic disaster that a lot of folks will be thanking the Good Lord for letting them get out of Atl. alive.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
What Kentucky people are saying about the whole situation is ridiculous and yeah I'd probably be pissed if we had to play 2 games in a day but saying they are screwing them or whatever is just unreal. They are failing to realize how lucky they are that the whole damn roof didnt come down and kill anyone.

ArrowDawg

Oct 10, 2006
....to accomodate them. This is the only way they can deal with this matter on such a short notice without causing a riot.

Fletch Fletcher

Sep 25, 2006
Considering the vast number of fans that UK brings, and the number of UGA fans that would have shown if they knocked off UK, this an advantage for us. Not only do these teams have to play twice in a day, but we also won't have to deal with what would have essentially been a road game (fan ratio wise).

benatmsu

May 28, 2007
Holy ****! A non-soccer post... Getting closer to coming back to the States I see.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
In todays litigious society, there is no other option. After seeing those beams swaying, I was shocked they didnt evac the whole place last might and even let the game continue.

People bitching about tickets...well what the %@!% do you think they should do...morons.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Todd4State said:
It's going to be really weird with just the bands, Jamont's Mom, Meo, and Dave Neal.

</p>This should give us the crowd noise advantage over whoever we play.

williecunningham

Mar 3, 2008
SirBarksalot said:
In todays litigious society, there is no other option. After seeing those beams swaying, I was shocked they didnt evac the whole place last might and even let the game continue.

People bitching about tickets...well what the %@!% do you think they should do...morons.

</p>The number of people they are going to let in probably totals around 1000-1500 peeps. Why not treat it like a HS game. Open the doors a couple of hours before game time and the first 8000 people with $25 get to come in and watch the games. Give the proceeds to the Disaster Relief Fun. The downside is - because of the situation downtown - there may not be enough security to manage the process.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
It will be unpopular with fans, but if you think about it this is the only fair way to do things. You have a lot less seating and no real fair way to dole out tickets to the remaining teams' fans. UK fans will complain, MSU fans will complain, UT fans will complain, and Arky fans will sleep with their closest kin, but this is the right thing to do. It will be weird, that's for sure. It'll be like watching a women's game (ouch).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login