Veterans Check In Thread

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Vets check in!

I did 32 years USAF/USAFR/ANG, retired in 2017 as a CMSGT. Visited 12 counties, two deployments to the desert (but didn't get close to combat). Never had a bad day. My service was easy, I salute all you vets, but especially the soldiers and marines who did face hardships and put their lives in jeopardy.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Marine Corps 1986 to 1990 plus 11 months for Desert Storm. I was a Scout Observer. I will let it go at that.

Tell It To The Marines GIF - Tell It To The Marines GIFs

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
A big thank you to all you veterans.

My father in law was a crew chief on a Huey in Vietnam. He’s been in the hospital now for about 6 weeks and not doing well. A couple of years ago he gave me a bunch of his stuff from Vietnam (including his machete!). My mother in law said he never really talked about it much to anyone but me so I feel honored to have heard some of the stories.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Had a great time in AF. Lived in Deutschland, Germany, for 3.5 years and travelled to 10 European countries. Took a train to Berlin and had to go through Czech Republic, what an experience. Soldiers came on the train to search it and check passports but could tell I was American GI and never spoke or looked directly at me. I was later told they weren't allowed to speak to American service members or check our paperwork. Just seeing Berlin in its communist state was really depressing. West Berlin was vibrant, but the east was run down.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
The ammo and POL (who the hell, POL!) chants were the most memorable. I was CE, we had, "Engineers lead the way!" Of course, at least half the military units around the world used that same motto (and I never lead the way!).
Needless to say, I'm sure the AMMO chant has been banned in today's cultural climate. It made me cringe when my wife was around any functions and it was shouted, and by the females also.

Reactions: ServiceDogg

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
My father was an AF motor pool sergeant in WWII (England, France and Belgium). He and some of his buds (from several states) used to get together every year in the 50's in our home town for a few days. I vaguely remember it but would give anything to roll back the clock and listen to their stories just one more time . I deeply appreciate all veterans and their service to our country. Thank you.

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
Vets check in!

I did 32 years USAF/USAFR/ANG, retired in 2017 as a CMSGT. Visited 12 counties, two deployments to the desert (but didn't get close to combat). Never had a bad day. My service was easy, I salute all you vets, but especially the soldiers and marines who did face hardships and put their lives in jeopardy.
Chief, what base/wing were you at when you retired?

Reactions: GloryDawg

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
Air Force for 23 years. I was enlisted for the first 7 years and then officer for the rest. Retired as a Major. Flew RF-4C Phantoms for most of that time (hence the user name). Been out for 29 years and sometimes now I can some days go for almost s much as an an hour or so without thinking back to the time when I was flying fighters. Good times.

I salute those of you who served.

ServiceDogg

Nov 19, 2017
Active duty AF from 2000 to 2021.
10 deployments. Learned a lot. Had a lot of ups and downs.
Thankful to God that I could make it to retirement.

This evening, I decided to try out this small chicken wing shack as a Veteran's Day treat to myself.
As I was viewing all the interesting decorations, I turned around and saw this on the wall:

Attachments

• state.jpg
    state.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 8

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Much appreciation to all that served!!

My dad was a Marine in Nam and he never talked about it at all. One of my life regrets is not serving in our military. Much respect to y'all!!

mississippiheel

Jun 17, 2018
5 years Navy.Petty Officer 2nd class Electronic Warfare.Now called CTT communication Tech.Served on USS Richard B Anderson DD 786

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Air Force for 23 years. I was enlisted for the first 7 years and then officer for the rest. Retired as a Major. Flew RF-4C Phantoms for most of that time (hence the user name). Been out for 29 years and sometimes now I can some days go for almost s much as an an hour or so without thinking back to the time when I was flying fighters. Good times.

I salute those of you who served.
My only regret was not commissioning. I had my bachelor's before age 30 and, likely could have retired a Major (or possibly LTC). Several officers encouraged me to commission, but I didn't want to go through OTS, which I had several friends do, and they all advised me there wasn't much to it (I would have had to change career fields too, and I really liked by squadron). It worked out well for me, but I encourage all qualified enlisted troops to commission.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
USAF 1967-1971. Thailand, Nam,Bermuda & California.
I'd love to hear some stories. I came in in 86; many SNCOs were Army/Marine Vietnam Vets. On our bivouacs, they'd stay up all night telling stories, at the time I didn't appreciate what I was hearing.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
Spent 8 years in the National Guard in an Engineer unit. Been to Iraq, Nicaragua, Germany and South Korea. Had some damn good times. Only regret is looking back I wish I would've retired and pursued aviation while I was in. I've always been an aviation buff and I hate I didn't use my time in to make a career out of it at the expense of Uncle Sam. For some reason I used my GI Bill to get a RN degree.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login