Victoria Vivians and Caitlin Clark bout to scrap

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
So I actually watched the elite first half of this game last night which was the most WNBA I’ve watched ever.

I actually watch our WBB team a good bit and watched a lot of ncaa women’s tournament so I had a pretty realistic set of expectations.

I was pretty underwhelmed and didn’t find it as fun as watching college. VV was never some great motor player but she played at church league speed. I have no idea how she’s a starter in the league.

Clark will be a star but it’s going to take some time. Different sport but she reminds me of a young Novak Djokovich. Talent is there but they get a little whiny and showboaty and grandstand a lot.

The speed and length of the defense caused her problems and despite the low number of roster spots, her surrounded cast is simply not very good.l for the most part.

The team doesn’t run her off enough picks - when they do, she scores. But then run iso for her a lot and she’s just not quick enough for that to be high % and it wears her down.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
So I actually watched the elite first half of this game last night which was the most WNBA I’ve watched ever.

I actually watch our WBB team a good bit and watched a lot of ncaa women’s tournament so I had a pretty realistic set of expectations.

I was pretty underwhelmed and didn’t find it as fun as watching college. VV was never some great motor player but she played at church league speed. I have no idea how she’s a starter in the league.

Clark will be a star but it’s going to take some time. Different sport but she reminds me of a young Novak Djokovich. Talent is there but they get a little whiny and showboaty and grandstand a lot.

The speed and length of the defense caused her problems and despite the low number of roster spots, her surrounded cast is simply not very good.l for the most part.

The team doesn’t run her off enough picks - when they do, she scores. But then run iso for her a lot and she’s just not quick enough for that to be high % and it wears her down.

Tv Land Tew Much GIF by YoungerTV

• Haha
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Clark is getting physically beaten but. She's skinny and can use her quickness to get her shot off but driving and defending are tough on here.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Carter hasn’t changed one bit from her college days. She still a trash heap she got kicked out of the WNBA for a while because she basically assaulted a team mate in the locker room.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
If they had more chick fights I might actually watch the WNBA every now and then.
I think the plan is like Livvy Dunne and Angel Reese have done. Recreate the drama and appeal of the Kardashians, so basically sex appeal and manufactured drama

• Haha
Reactions: GomJabbar

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Any idea why Clark has gotten all of this hate and animosity towards her? Seems the WNBA would try to embrace someone that brings more attention to that league.

• Haha
Reactions: tbaydog and eckie1

patdog

May 28, 2007
Any idea why Clark has gotten all of this hate and animosity towards her? Seems the WNBA would try to embrace someone that brings more attention to that league.
I think it's at least partly racial. Girls are jealous the white girl is getting all the attention.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Really good segment from PTI about it.

That is a good segment. My initial response was 'yeah I agree', but after a few thoughts, I am not sure how much I agree.

If its a race issue specifically found at the top of the talent pool, then why werent all these other excellent white WNBA players subjected to equal dirty/unnecessary play?

Cameron Brink - this year's #2 pick, white as all hell, getting a ton of publicity/press, and getting a lot of court time.
Breanna Stewart- she was the MVP last season, was MVP in a prior season, has won multiple championships and been the Finals MVP each time, and is also white as all hell.

Sue Bird - one of the best WNBA players of all time, a ton of AllWNBA honors, multiple championships, and white as all hell(Jewish too fwiw).

Elena Della Donne - came into the league as a big hyped up player, had a signature shoe even, multiple MVP awards, and white as it gets.

Sabrina Ionescu - came into the league as a big hyped up player, has a signature shoe that is popular right now, multiple all-star appearances, big on social media, and quite white.

Diana Taurasi - one of the best WNBA players of all time, countless individual WNBA awards and team accomplishments, and white(I think?...Argentine maybe?).

Maybe all these players have been and/or are treated the same as Clark and it just isnt documented as much?
...or maybe that isnt at all the case and Clark is being targeted while these other very white and very hyped and talented players arent targeted, so it isnt just a race issue?
To be clear, Wilbon's claim is that it is partially due to Clark not being a great player yet, but others mentioned dont seem far off from Clark's numbers.

Reactions: Dawgg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
That is a good segment. My initial response was 'yeah I agree', but after a few thoughts, I am not sure how much I agree.

If its a race issue specifically found at the top of the talent pool, then why werent all these other excellent white WNBA players subjected to equal dirty/unnecessary play?

Cameron Brink - this year's #2 pick, white as all hell, getting a ton of publicity/press, and getting a lot of court time.
Breanna Stewart- she was the MVP last season, was MVP in a prior season, has won multiple championships and been the Finals MVP each time, and is also white as all hell.

Sue Bird - one of the best WNBA players of all time, a ton of AllWNBA honors, multiple championships, and white as all hell(Jewish too fwiw).

Elena Della Donne - came into the league as a big hyped up player, had a signature shoe even, multiple MVP awards, and white as it gets.

Sabrina Ionescu - came into the league as a big hyped up player, has a signature shoe that is popular right now, multiple all-star appearances, big on social media, and quite white.

Diana Taurasi - one of the best WNBA players of all time, countless individual WNBA awards and team accomplishments, and white(I think?...Argentine maybe?).

Maybe all these players have been and/or are treated the same as Clark and it just isnt documented as much?
...or maybe that isnt at all the case and Clark is being targeted while these other very white and very hyped and talented players arent targeted, so it isnt just a race issue?
To be clear, Wilbon's claim is that it is partially due to Clark not being a great player yet, but others mentioned dont seem far off from Clark's numbers.
I’m not totally buying the race part either. I think it’s more that the WNBA is actually pretty physical, but I do feel like she’s being targeted a little bit more than normal. I also discount the fact who did the last incident because Carter is nothing but garbage anyway.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It seems to me to be more jealousy than race in general . There are always a few who make it about race everywhere.

Golfer made a good case above about the number of skilled white players who have succeeded in the league, without being an apparent target.

I think her over the top fame and popularity just rubs a lot of players wrong. They're testing her and the media is going to blow a lot of **** out of proportion, because they have to to be at all relevant.

Reactions: Dawgg

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"I think her over the top fame and popularity just rubs a lot of players wrong"

I'm sure Tiger's fame and popularity drew the same reaction from many PGA players but they were generally (other than Fuzzy) smart enough to realize he would make them all more money. It appears these WNBA gals hadn't quite figured that out yet. **

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Now is they would only throw in an occasional "wardrobe malfunction" they could really drive up viewership.
Paraphrasing that noted philosopher John Daly on another "female" athlete , the average WNBA player is about as feminine as an F150 pickup.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
"I think her over the top fame and popularity just rubs a lot of players wrong"

I'm sure Tiger's fame and popularity drew the same reaction from many PGA players but they were generally (other than Fuzzy) smart enough to realize he would make them all more money. It appears these WNBA gals hadn't quite figured that out yet. **

I'm gonna go with, the kind of person who develops into a professional basketball player is quite different from the kind of person who develops into a professional golfer.

Reactions: thatsbaseball
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login