Want State Hoops to Win?

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Then start emailing Cohen, tell him you want Sean Miller. You want a winner. We can’t be chicken little or the Mr Rogers of the SEC, let’s be like Auburn and reinvent our program for the better.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
I don’t know if he’s the guy but with Pearl and Wade roaming the sidelines we shouldn’t have any fears about it.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Exactly. I don’t want to hear **** about NCAA being anything toward non-blue bloods…Auburn didn’t have a NCAAT appearance since 03 until Pearl got there.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
But but but we can’t do that! It would be bad for how people view MSU*****

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’d say yes, but it could be argued either way. just because Howland coasted for 7 years at M-State doesn’t mean you start looking for coaches with bad resumes. I think Miller would he hungrier then Howland was for sure.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Miller would be like Pearl: mad as hell at the ncaa and ready to prove himself again.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
We need a coach who’s best days are in front of him, not behind him. We don’t need to be has been coaches retirement plans like Howland and Leach.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Then start emailing Cohen, tell him you want Sean Miller. You want a winner. We can’t be chicken little or the Mr Rogers of the SEC, let’s be like Auburn and reinvent our program for the better.

This really has to be the softest MSU team I’ve ever watched…Zero sense of urgency.

These coaches sons, cousins, MS prep stars, aunts, uncles brother….**** ain’t working. Please go get us a basketball coach who can relate to today’s 17 year old highschool player.

Nice guy but I hope I’ve paid him his last cent

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
We need somebody that knows how to make a strong *** offer.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
And if we hire someone other than Sean Miller, will you be butt hurt?

Yes which is stupid. Not ignorant but stupid.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Miller, Marshall, and others are proven coaches who aren’t going to do any better than Howland if they don’t get the talent.

It matters less who the coach is and more on if MSU, as an entire university from the top down, are willing to go all in on the basketball recruiting effort. That’s something that hasn’t been the case in about 30 years, at least.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Miller, Marshall, and others are proven coaches who aren’t going to do any better than Howland if they don’t get the talent.

It matters less who the coach is and more on if MSU, as an entire university from the top down, are willing to go all in on the basketball recruiting effort. That’s something that hasn’t been the case in about 30 years, at least.

While I don’t disagree that you need the talent, I will say that great coaching has a major impact too. I think you are discounting who the coach is a bit too much. Otherwise, all the wealthy schools would have to do is buy enough players and book their trips to the tournament.

For example, Marshall had a grand total of 3 players at Wichita State who got legitimate playing time in the NBA. Ron Baker and Fed VanVleet were/are in the league and were on the same WSU squad but no one was recruiting them in high school. They developed at WSU. Marshall was there for 13 years. There were no playoffs in his last year (COVID). So out of 12 years, he won the NIT, then went to the NCAA tournament 7 years in a row (Sweet 16 and a Final 4 and an undefeated season other than the tournament loss). Prior to WSU while at Winthrop, he went to the NCAA tournament 7 out of 9 years. They didn’t have better recruiting at Winthrop either. They of course were in a lesser conference but all of his competition was dealing with the same limitation of being in a lesser conference for recruiting.

I actually think we have decent players right now. We just don’t have much of a “team” and our coaching is average.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Meet the New Boss: Same as the Old Boss— I won’t be fooled again…

I’ve mentioned before that I got Bob Boyd flashbacks when Ben Howland was named head coach.

Well, Sean Miller — if hired — would be older than Boyd when he started coaching at State (much like Howland was incidentally).

Mississippi State’s best coaches have been younger, hungrier coaches — like Richard Williams & Rick Stansbury.

Neither RW & RS are hungry, so get a young, hungry coach.

I just hope it won’t be someone that necessitates constant refrains of Who Are You?

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
That sounds nice but better coaching and we've got 5 more wins at least with our current squad. Better free throw shooting, better rotations, less turnovers, stop choking on the road and in close games are all fixable with better coaching.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
While I don’t disagree that you need the talent, I will say that great coaching has a major impact too. I think you are discounting who the coach is a bit too much. Otherwise, all the wealthy schools would have to do is buy enough players and book their trips to the tournament.

For example, Marshall had a grand total of 3 players at Wichita State who got legitimate playing time in the NBA. Ron Baker and Fed VanVleet were/are in the league and were on the same WSU squad but no one was recruiting them in high school. They developed at WSU. Marshall was there for 13 years. There were no playoffs in his last year (COVID). So out of 12 years, he won the NIT, then went to the NCAA tournament 7 years in a row (Sweet 16 and a Final 4 and an undefeated season other than the tournament loss). Prior to WSU while at Winthrop, he went to the NCAA tournament 7 out of 9 years. They didn’t have better recruiting at Winthrop either. They of course were in a lesser conference but all of his competition was dealing with the same limitation of being in a lesser conference for recruiting.

I actually think we have decent players right now. We just don’t have much of a “team” and our coaching is average.

I agree with a good bit of that, but Wichita State vs. MSU isn’t really a valid comparison. 3 NBA players there is probably as many or more than any other school in their conference. Hell, has MSU had that many that got anything more than a cup of coffee between Erick Dampier / Dontae Jones and now?

The biggest impact that a new coach can have is changing us over to a more exciting brand of basketball….particularly on offense. That’s one thing we need to get recruiting rolling. We do have a bunch of decent players, but none that are elite in any area of their game. We don’t have an inside or outside threat on offense that delivers consistently. We don’t have a lockdown defender on defense. We don’t have a guy who can go out and snag 10 boards against the best big men in the SEC.

What we do have is depth, but the style of play we insist on using completely prevents us from taking advantage of it. We should be running teams up and down the court and getting in transition and pressing more with the personnel that we have. But we don’t have an adaptable coach or assistants. Thats the real problem….in today’s college basketball there aren’t going to be very many Power 5 teams that are ever starting a lineup full of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year players in their program. At the highest level of MBB, development is all but dead. Its all about getting the most talent you can in every offseason into your program, being prepared every single year to potentially have 3-5 new starters, and being able to quickly implement whatever system works best for those players. That’s why Howland’s best years are behind him….he thrived when he got talented guys who were fully bought into his system and refined by their 2nd or 3rd year, but that’s not a luxury that anybody has anymore.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If we land Miller I will hope he is successful.
But he straight up sucks for an option- I dont know why anyone would look at what he has done and would still want that garbage at MSU. We can basically buy players above the table now- Just pay them and bring in a young coach who has success at the mid-major level and has an interest in pulling in fans.
No desire to see a straight up 17ing cheater land a major conference job.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login