WaPo: Jerry Jones has made a mess of Dak Prescott’s contract situation

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Hope those row homes have good AC, because that's their main attraction.

What's been shocking to me is discovering the sheer number of Americans who want that lifestyle....basically living inside, watching TV, going to work, eating at restaurants, owning an SUV, going to the gym, and taking kids to school and activities. It hit me how pussified our society was when I went in the new Rangers stadium in the summer, and was actually cold because of the AC blowing on me.
You don’t take your kids to school?

Also, have you ever been to a July or August game before 9 pm at the old Ballpark in Arlington? I 17ing have. Not a great experience.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I live in DFW and had the exact same thought. Currently working on my exit strategy (hopefully like Dak is).
Same. I don’t really like DFW either, but my job and kids are located here. As soon as my youngest graduates, I’ll be in discussions about relocating and doing WFH or working from one of our satellite sales offices.

Current destination for us is either East Tennessee or West North Carolina.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He’s gonna get a record contract from somebody, no matter what. He wants to be in Dallas…. But this franchise and fan base really doesn’t deserve him. He just had an MVP-worthy season with one WR and no running game, and he’s not a running QB…. And he would be a prolific one. But gets **** on every second of every day.

Ain’t no replacing the guy.
I wanted him to go for the agent route, but Dallas will eventually cave. As a Chicago fan, I wanted them to go there, but they have somebody.

Reactions: eckie1

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I wanted him to go for the agent route, but I think Dallas is eventually going to cave.
they are the best matches for each other... both sides should probably give a little.

There is really no other good landing spot for Dak. And the cowboys after re-tooling a little with the cap, can have a nice window of oppoturnity with the roster they have. They just need Dak to work a team friendly deal, not saying dont get paid, but dont go for record numbers.. so they can sign Lamb, Parsons, and others

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You don’t take your kids to school?

Also, have you ever been to a July or August game before 9 pm at the old Ballpark in Arlington? I 17ing have. Not a great experience.
Kinda missing the point.....basically I was talking about all the mundane activities of anywhereville, suburbia, without getting out and experiencing the outdoors. DFW offers you a lot of money to basically do those things (which is apparently what many want).

Fair enough on the stadium. It was really more of a metaphor about the indoor lifestyle of the area.

Current destination for us is either East Tennessee or West North Carolina.
The corridor roughly bound by Birmingham, Atlanta, Columbia, Raleigh, back along the northern NC/TN border to Nashville, and back down to Birmingham.......I honestly think that's one of the best places to live in the country. Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion, in other words. Especially if you love outdoor recreation in the form of hiking, biking, etc.

If you like hunting and fishing, that area is good for that too, but so are many other areas (like MS).

Reactions: patdog and Dawgg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
1. Michigan has the 10th best odds to win the national championship. Doesnt mean much does it.

It doesn’t? What are you saying, Michigan’s about to go 6-6 this year after they just won the whole thing last year?

The cowboys are americas team. Lots of bets are made on teams because they are their team. The line equates that.

Yeah, that’s not how it works.

Their 2024 win O/U is the exact same as 2023 was (9.5). They won 12 last year.

It’s also a zero sum game. You can’t artificially inflate the odds for Dallas without artficially reducing the odds for other teams to win more games, and that affects oddsmakers ability to balance the money on those other teams.

Also the cowboys have the 22nd SOS.... the cowboys have the same odds to win the super bowl as the Packers and Jets.

The Packers were a bona fide contender last year, and the Jets were going to be as well until the Rodgers injury (which is now healed). Again, not sure what this proves. The SOS is just another feather in their cap. A weak SOS is a good time to try and “win now”, if you’re ever going to do it.

2. Bridge season. They arent going all in, but they dont want to give up either. The want a veteran back. They got one.
They definitely aren’t going all in. “Giving up” is a relative term. They are unintentionally giving up by how poorly they have managed the roster and their most important contracts for the past few years.

3. Whether or not Lance is part of anyones future is yet to be known. And this deal was made seasons ago, not in the current.
The deal was made just one year ago.

They knew when they made the deal that they’d have to make a decision on Lance’s 5th year option based on absolutely nothing.

Therefore, they knew they’d have to decline a $15-20 million commitment to him in 2025.

Therefore, they knew they would only have 2 seasons of team control, would have to pay him a ton for a 3rd string QB, yet would not be afforded any opportunity to develop him, unless the season totally went in the tank very early.

Lance has been far from the worst QB to play in the NFL or even be a backup.
He might be. Nobody knows, because he’s almost never played. But we do know he couldn’t beat out Sam Darnold, who objectively is not and never will be a legit QB1 in the NFL.

4. Again extending Dak 2 years ago would have made it easier today without question. But was it the right thing is too early to tell.
It’s not too early to tell. Here’s the thing….even if Jerry decided Dak wasn’t the guy to get them the ultimate prize, the better move is to still ink the extension as early as possible, and make him a marketable asset for somebody if it doesn’t work out. If Dak made $48 million per year from 2023-2026 on a 3-year extension signed after 2022….you have a guy you can trade right now for a couple of 1st round picks, maybe a 2nd or 3rd as well. Dak would only be the 9th highest paid QB, right now, by average salary…..and that would get lower and lower towards the end of the deal.

Instead, look where he is. No man’s land. Can’t trade him, can’t franchise tag him. Only options are to lose him for nothing, or give a new record deal and lose valuable pieces around him in the process.

Again the cowboys with Dak havent been successful in the post-season. If the cowboys move on from Dak and are successful or more successful... or Dak in his later years regresses instead of progresses... then the cap space saved makes jerry look very good.

You are correct. If Dallas moves on, and does better than a guy who just finished 2nd in the MVP voting, and has been a Top 7-8 NFL QB for his entire career, then yes, Jerry will look very good.

5. Plenty of teams have waited and had studs hold out because of contract issues. Look no farther than KC and Chris Jones. SF isnt playing wait and see on Aiyuk? Happens all the time.
How often does it happen with 2 critical players at once? How often does it happen with QB’s? The only time in recent memory that a QB has gone to the 11th hour with an extension was…..oh yeah, Dak, the first time. The definition of insanity and what not.

We also assume this is all Jerry Jones fault. He could have put more than 1 reasonable offer on the table that was or has been refused while these so called proven studs are seeking record breaking contracts.....
It’s assumed because its what he does every time. He’s already done the same thing with the same QB.

MOST proven studs playing the QB position on their 2nd contract..
work a more team friendly deal to make the deal around them better...
Name just 3 QB’s who have done this since Tom Brady signed his team friendly deal in 2006 or whenever it was. You might could argue Mahomes, who signed a 10 year deal that locked him in at $45 million per year like 3 years ago, but that was still a record deal at the time, and still is the record for total money and total guaranteed money. The only team friendly part is the length, and therefore the back end is not cost prohibitive. I can’t think of anyone else that remotely qualifies.

The “team friendly deal” is very much the exception rather than the rule for QB’s, especially when they are still in their prime. Lamar, Trevor Lawrence, Herbert, Tua, Kyler, Cousins, Jordan Love, and others are all QB’s with no more postseason success than Dak overall, none have ever sniffed a SB, yet none of them had to take a team friendly deal. Why should Dak?

IF winning is a priority...we'll see if Dak is willing to do that.
Dak had the most team-friendly deal imaginable for his first 5 years in the league. Didn’t matter, Jerry still 17ed it up. By no means should Dak be expected to take less than what he is worth (or less than what the next QB who is up for renewal is worth) just to help the organization do its job that it has sucked at a little bit better. Why should he throw them a lifeline? He is not the GM.

The cap goes up by leaps and bounds every year to account for escalating demand for players at all positions, but especially QB. Nobody feels sorry for Jerry that he has to eventually pay the piper just like everyone else.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It doesn’t? What are you saying, Michigan’s about to go 6-6 this year after they just won the whole thing last year?

Yeah, that’s not how it works.

Their 2024 win O/U is the exact same as 2023 was (9.5). They won 12 last year.

It’s also a zero sum game. You can’t artificially inflate the odds for Dallas without artficially reducing the odds for other teams to win more games, and that affects oddsmakers ability to balance the money on those other teams.

The Packers were a bona fide contender last year, and the Jets were going to be as well until the Rodgers injury (which is now healed). Again, not sure what this proves. The SOS is just another feather in their cap. A weak SOS is a good time to try and “win now”, if you’re ever going to do it.

They definitely aren’t going all in. “Giving up” is a relative term. They are unintentionally giving up by how poorly they have managed the roster and their most important contracts for the past few years.

The deal was made just one year ago.

They knew when they made the deal that they’d have to make a decision on Lance’s 5th year option based on absolutely nothing.

Therefore, they knew they’d have to decline a $15-20 million commitment to him in 2025.

Therefore, they knew they would only have 2 seasons of team control, would have to pay him a ton for a 3rd string QB, yet would not be afforded any opportunity to develop him, unless the season totally went in the tank very early.

He might be. Nobody knows, because he’s almost never played. But we do know he couldn’t beat out Sam Darnold, who objectively is not and never will be a legit QB1 in the NFL.

It’s not too early to tell. Here’s the thing….even if Jerry decided Dak wasn’t the guy to get them the ultimate prize, the better move is to still ink the extension as early as possible, and make him a marketable asset for somebody if it doesn’t work out. If Dak made $48 million per year from 2023-2026 on a 3-year extension signed after 2022….you have a guy you can trade right now for a couple of 1st round picks, maybe a 2nd or 3rd as well. Dak would only be the 9th highest paid QB, right now, by average salary…..and that would get lower and lower towards the end of the deal.

Instead, look where he is. No man’s land. Can’t trade him, can’t franchise tag him. Only options are to lose him for nothing, or give a new record deal and lose valuable pieces around him in the process.

You are correct. If Dallas moves on, and does better than a guy who just finished 2nd in the MVP voting, and has been a Top 7-8 NFL QB for his entire career, then yes, Jerry will look very good.

How often does it happen with 2 critical players at once? How often does it happen with QB’s? The only time in recent memory that a QB has gone to the 11th hour with an extension was…..oh yeah, Dak, the first time. The definition of insanity and what not.

It’s assumed because its what he does every time. He’s already done the same thing with the same QB.

Name just 3 QB’s who have done this since Tom Brady signed his team friendly deal in 2006 or whenever it was. You might could argue Mahomes, who signed a 10 year deal that locked him in at $45 million per year like 3 years ago, but that was still a record deal at the time, and still is the record for total money and total guaranteed money. The only team friendly part is the length, and therefore the back end is not cost prohibitive. I can’t think of anyone else that remotely qualifies.

The “team friendly deal” is very much the exception rather than the rule for QB’s, especially when they are still in their prime. Lamar, Trevor Lawrence, Herbert, Tua, Kyler, Cousins, Jordan Love, and others are all QB’s with no more postseason success than Dak overall, none have ever sniffed a SB, yet none of them had to take a team friendly deal. Why should Dak?

Dak had the most team-friendly deal imaginable for his first 5 years in the league. Didn’t matter, Jerry still 17ed it up. By no means should Dak be expected to take less than what he is worth (or less than what the next QB who is up for renewal is worth) just to help the organization do its job that it has sucked at a little bit better. Why should he throw them a lifeline? He is not the GM.

The cap goes up by leaps and bounds every year to account for escalating demand for players at all positions, but especially QB. Nobody feels sorry for Jerry that he has to eventually pay the piper just like everyone else.
1. Your definition of a window to win and mine are different obviously. Again Dallas Super Bowl odds are the same as the packers and jets whom neither are thought of as real contenders. It’s also clear you know nothing about gambling. Odds makers dont try to balance any books. It’s a fallacy that people that know nothing about gambling believe. They have the vig as a cushion. But there job is to put a line out there that wins money. No book is seeking balance.

2. you call it giving up. I call it basically trying everything under the sun to try to be successful with this collection of talent. They are trying to make a decision as to whether they want to continue to throw money at it or go a different route. There is nothing wrong with that.

3. it’s very much too early to tell. Paying dak crazy money until he’s 36-38 may or may not be a good thing. By extending dak earlier you were hurting the talent that was around him in that window of opportunity to win. The cowboys went all in during those years. It didn’t work out. There was a 4-5 year window where they were extremely talented and couldn’t win in the playoffs… and in those playoff losses the QB played terrible. Again you are dealing in hindsight. Had the cowboys signed dak earlier the attrition that is happening now would have happened earlier. They decided to go all in then instead of now.

4. Dak hasn’t even played in and nfc champ game. Even though the names on your lists are intended to show how much better or successful Dak has been… probably need to check and see some of those have been much more successful than dak… Lamar Jackson? You serious.

5. dak isn’t entering his prime. He’s exiting it. The other qbs you named are in their prime or entering it. Mahomes for sure. Brady. Both mannings. Believe Brees did. There are plenty. It’s definitely not uncommon

6. all qbs have team friendly rookie deals. Brody purdy sure looks good right now. Dak wasn’t treated any worse than anyone else on a rookie deal that didn’t win and mvp or have post season success.

7. Dallas doesn’t have two studs holding out. They’ve got one. Happens all the time. Kc just dealt with the same thing. Lamar Jackson’s contract went down to the 11th hour. Again not uncommon at all. Aiyuk is but we won’t say anything about that because it’s San Fran. Lamb does it and jones is an idiot. Baltimore waits until last minute on Jackson, no problem, jones does it omg!!!! KC best defensive player misses real games over a contract… happens ALL. THE. TIME.

Last edited:

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Expand on this. He flashes in preseason against somebody else’s 3rd stringers and future scout team guys. Doesn’t change that he was unable to beat out Sam 17ing Darnold for the #2 QB job in SF, or beat out Cooper Rush for the #2 job in Dallas in over a year of time. He’s also a 4th year NFL player who has thrown something like 300 competitive passes since high school….the vast majority of which were against FCS competition in college. And again, he’s in the last year of his deal.

What’s somebody really going to give up for a 3rd string QB, in which they have no team control, who is completely raw and would have been jettisoned by 2 teams in 4 years? I’d say with near 100% confidence that they wouldn’t get anything close to a 4th round pick, which is what they gave up to get him.
We can agree to disagree. I also think it wasn't a bad insurance policy for Dak leaving. Of course Lance hasn't delivered but Jerah's used to hitting on UDFA future QB1 (Romo) and late draft pick QB1 (Prescott). I simply see this as an extension of his wildcatter gambling ways. If Lance would have developed he'd look like a genius.

Reactions: HuntDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
He won 3 super bowls and made the cowboys to the most valuable franchise in all of sports. Regardless of this boards opinion of him... he'll be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame and go down as one of the best owners of all time.

Even since his super bowl wins, he's kept the cowboys revelant and competitive in the NFL the majority of the seasons since (4 losing seasons in the last 20 years). He's far from the flop or failure this board thinks he is.
Cowboys were already the most valuable franchise in the NFL when he bought them. He’s just ridden the same wave the rest of the league has over the last 30 years. And he went 20 years without even sniffing getting close to a Super Bowl without Dak after he ran Jimmy Johnson off. If anything, the Cowboys would be even more valuable with decent leadership at the top.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

patdog

May 28, 2007
Hope those row homes have good AC, because that's their main attraction.

What's been shocking to me is discovering the sheer number of Americans who want that lifestyle....basically living inside, watching TV, going to work, eating at restaurants, owning an SUV, going to the gym, and taking kids to school and activities. It hit me how pussified our society was when I went in the new Rangers stadium in the summer, and was actually cold because of the AC blowing on me.
In Dallas right now. It’s 102 & miserable. And you’re right about the concrete jungle. Just row after row of huge condos, bars & restaurants. Not bad for a couple of days. But I wouldn’t want to live here. Unlike a lot of big cities Ive been to.

Reactions: ll Martain ll

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Cowboys were already the most valuable franchise in the NFL when he bought them. He’s just ridden the same wave the rest of the league has over the last 30 years. And he went 20 years without even sniffing getting close to a Super Bowl without Dak after he ran Jimmy Johnson off. If anything, the Cowboys would be even more valuable with decent leadership at the top.
Believe the Yankees were the most valuable franchise in sports at that time.. the cowboys and jones spearheaded the nfl push. He was probably the most influential owner during that time

Lots of franchises have been 20 years without sniffing a Super Bowl. Not many have won 3 in 4 years.

can’t fault the guy for the now and not give him credit for the then… and he’s only had 4 losing seasons in the last 20 years… he’s shown to be a very good gm… people on this board can’t swallow that though… theres not many gms that can say they’ve won 3 super bowls and spent 20 years and 16 winning season…. The post season success is the issue… and thats Jerry’s issue with dak.. and for anyone not seeing through maroon glasses.. that’s a fair issue to have

Last edited:
Reactions: HRMSU

grandprairiedog

Apr 26, 2021
Kinda missing the point.....basically I was talking about all the mundane activities of anywhereville, suburbia, without getting out and experiencing the outdoors. DFW offers you a lot of money to basically do those things (which is apparently what many want).

Fair enough on the stadium. It was really more of a metaphor about the indoor lifestyle of the area.

The corridor roughly bound by Birmingham, Atlanta, Columbia, Raleigh, back along the northern NC/TN border to Nashville, and back down to Birmingham.......I honestly think that's one of the best places to live in the country. Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion, in other words. Especially if you love outdoor recreation in the form of hiking, biking, etc.

If you like hunting and fishing, that area is good for that too, but so are many other areas (like MS).
I guess that's why MS population is just booming, so many people want those great jobs . . .

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Should have an asterisk that says “thank you Jimmy Johnson cause we haven’t smelled a SB since my egomaniacal decision to fire him”
Barry Switzer won the 3rd one… so this isn’t fact

but it’s more like they haven’t sniffed a Super Bowl since their hall of fame QB retired. But then again the same could be said about… NE since Brady, NO since Brees, Indy since Peyton, NY since Eli, Pitt since Big Ben, cards since Warner,

This board is amazing:
Dallas won their last Super Bowl 28 years ago.. I emphasize WON their 3 Super Bowl in 4 years….since then…. only 14 organization in the nfl have won a Super Bowl. It’s not like the entire league has been churning out super bowls.

those winners included names like. Farve, elway, Warner, Brady, Big Ben, manning, manning, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, mahomes

Yes there are a 2-3 that have been won without elite qb play (ray Lewis and Baltimore) but for the last 30 years. You’ve needed hall of fame qb play to win super bowls. Dallas hasn’t gotten that like many of the other organizations in the league… and that ain’t Jerry Jones’s fault

Reactions: fang

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
Dak and the Steelers would be a perfect match. Wilson will likely struggle again this year and Fields sucks, would setup a Dak to Pittsburgh transition. What they would be paying Dak wouldn’t be much more than what they’re paying both of them.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Barry Switzer won the 3rd one… so this isn’t fact

but it’s more like they haven’t sniffed a Super Bowl since their hall of fame QB retired. But then again the same could be said about… NE since Brady, NO since Brees, Indy since Peyton, NY since Eli, Pitt since Big Ben, cards since Warner,

This board is amazing:
Dallas won their last Super Bowl 28 years ago.. I emphasize WON their 3 Super Bowl in 4 years….since then…. only 14 organization in the nfl have won a Super Bowl. It’s not like the entire league has been churning out super bowls.

those winners included names like. Farve, elway, Warner, Brady, Big Ben, manning, manning, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, mahomes

Yes there are a 2-3 that have been won without elite qb play (ray Lewis and Baltimore) but for the last 30 years. You’ve needed hall of fame qb play to win super bowls. Dallas hasn’t gotten that like many of the other organizations in the league… and that ain’t Jerry Jones’s fault
You pick the dumbest 17ing hills to die on, man. Defending Jerry 17ing Jones may be the dumbest.

Attachments

• IMG_7199.jpeg
    IMG_7199.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Haha

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You pick the dumbest 17ing hills to die on, man. Defending Jerry 17ing Jones may be the dumbest.
Hall of fame owner/gm. 3 time Super Bowl winner. Facts are facts.,, and his track record despite this board wishing very badly it isnt the case…. Is very good to great as a owner businessman and gm

people on this board hate it because there have been two constants over the past decade. The QB and the owner… and no one on this board wants to blame the QB so the owner is the biggest target…. Which is fine, everyone is allowed an opinion even if it’s plain wrong

patdog

May 28, 2007
Hall of fame owner/gm. 3 time Super Bowl winner. Facts are facts.,, and his track record despite this board wishing very badly it isnt the case…. Is very good to great as a owner businessman and gm

people on this board hate it because there have been two constants over the past decade. The QB and the owner… and no one on this board wants to blame the QB so the owner is the biggest target…. Which is fine, everyone is allowed an opinion even if it’s plain wrong
How many constants over the last 3 decades?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
How many constants over the last 3 decades?
Only 1.. and it’s been a helluva 3 decades. Match by hardly any other franchises in those 3 decades

How many super bowls over 3 decades?
How many winning seasons over 3 decades?

we act like it’s a poorly run organization.

name me the organizations in the nfl who in Jerry jones tenure with the cowboys have had a run of 16 winning seasons in a 20 year period and won 3 super bowls.

The patriots are one, which that’s pretty good company… I’ll hang up and listen for the others....

patdog

May 28, 2007
How many super bowls over 3 decades?
How many winning seasons over 3 decades?

we act like it’s a poorly run organization.

name me the organizations in the nfl who in Jerry jones tenure with the cowboys have had a run of 16 winning seasons in a 20 year period and won 3 super bowls.

I’ll hang up and listen…..
How many haven't even been to a conference title game in 29 years? I'll hang up and listen.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
How many haven't even been to a conference title game in 29 years? I'll hang up and listen.
So nfl success is now playing in a conference championship game?

nice to know, next time i enter an nfl stadium I’ll check and see how many conference championship appearances they’ve been a part of

Wonder how many organizations that have never won 3 super bowls would trade there conference championship appearances for those super bowls wins…. My guess… all of them

patdog

May 28, 2007
So nfl success is now playing in a conference championship game?

nice to know, next time i enter an nfl stadium I’ll check and see how many conference championship appearances they’ve been a part of
Uh, yes. That’s kind of the definition of NFL success. That’s why they have the playoffs. And Dak has 2 of their 3 playoff wins since 1996.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Uh, yes. That’s kind of the definition of NFL success. That’s why they have the playoffs. And Dak has 2 of their 3 playoff wins since 1996.
Really so not winning seasons. Winning divisions. Making the playoffs or winning super bowls….

simply conf championship apprerances…. Again I’ll check for those in the stadium wall when I go… strange I’ve never seen those anywhere

again Jerry’s been to the playoffs, he’s won in the playoffs. He’s won super bowls. The only franchise that has had a better stretch than Dallas since Jerry is took over is New England, you could make an argument for Pittsburgh and Baltimore as well but they don’t have the super bowls …But hey… let’s not give Jerry any credit for that

let’s give everyone but Jerry credit for the super bowls… and let’s give nobody but Jerry all the blame since… makes perfect sense

Last edited:

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Why stop at a conference championship game as the definition of winning in the NFL? Shouldn't it be the Super Bowl? I could give a rats arse about who won the championship if they didn't win the Super Bowl. Nobody remembers conference champions.

For the record Dallas has 10 NFC conference championships and I don't give a rip. 5 of those turned into Super Bowls and that's what matters. Just adds to the frustration since the last SB but shouldn't change hard core fan's expectations.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login