Was Lemonis handed a national title?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
There is a narrative that Lemonis doesn't deserve credit for the national title because he was handed a talented roster. Outside of Tanner Allen and Rowdey Jordan, who on the 2021 team was on the 2018 roster?

I could only come up with two:
  • Josh Hatcher - played in a reserve role at the end of 2021
  • Riley Self - injured and didn't pitch after March 2021
Am I missing anyone?

Do we win the title in 2021 without Bednar, Logan Tanner, or Sims? All three made it to campus over a year after Lemonis became head coach.

Does winning a national title with 2 or more major contributors that were already on campus = being handed a national title? In year 3? At a school that had never won a national title?

What about in year 2 at a school with 6 national titles? Looking at LSU's 2021 roster (the year before Johnson), I see a lot of familiar names: Crews, Morgan, Dugas, Thompson, Beloso, Travinski, Floyd, Money...

Good luck to Jay Johnson searching for his first (earned) national title in 2024.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Those people are dumb. He absolutely gets credit for the national title. Dumb people just get wrapped up in the moment.

You make a great point on Jay Johnson. Remember, he also nearly won it with Arizona in year 1, then fell off and eventually got back. He's done the same at LSU, aided by the transfers.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
There is a narrative that Lemonis doesn't deserve credit for the national title because he was handed a talented roster. Outside of Tanner Allen and Rowdey Jordan, who on the 2021 team was on the 2018 roster?

Am I missing anyone?

Do we win the title in 2021 without Bednar, Logan Tanner, or Sims? All three made it to campus over a year after Lemonis became head coach.

Does winning a national title with 2 or more major contributors that were already on campus = being handed a national title? In year 3? At a school that had never won a national title?

What about in year 2 at a school with 6 national titles? Looking at LSU's 2021 roster (the year before Johnson), I see a lot of familiar names: Crews, Morgan, Dugas, Thompson, Beloso, Travinski, Floyd, Money...

Good luck to Jay Johnson searching for his first (earned) national title in 2024.
There's nuance to the argument.

It can't be debated that Lemonis inherited a loaded roster and a culture of winning.
It also can't be debated that he added talent that we probably don't win in 21 without.
An argument can be made given evidence before us that very few of our guys seem to develop year over year, particularly pitching.
It certainly seems that he decided he could coast after the natty and this place would just recruit itself, and that's bitten him in the ***.

It's possible to give him credit as he deserves for 21, while at the same time holding him accountable for what has been two completely unacceptable years of performance.

Finally, it's at least a little incriminating to Lemonis that the team he inherited finished third in Omaha with an interim coach after a scandalized in-season firing. That kinda gives you an anyone-could-have-done-it vibe. But he gets credit for at least not driving his first couple of teams into the ditch. He used what he had effectively.

His biggest problems to me are his portal whiffs and lack of player development. And not making Hoover back-to-back, no matter how nattys he won prior, is never acceptable here.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Its a 2 headed coin. If he gets full credit for the title he's got to take the full heat for the last 2 craptastic abortions of a team he's had and not blame Foxhall, Cohen, NIL, the draft, injuries, and those type excuses that have been thrown out there.

Moondawgg

Sep 30, 2022
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
There's nuance to the argument.

It can't be debated that Lemonis inherited a loaded roster and a culture of winning.
It also can't be debated that he added talent that we probably don't win in 21 without.
An argument can be made given evidence before us that very few of our guys seem to develop year over year, particularly pitching.
It certainly seems that he decided he could coast after the natty and this place would just recruit itself, and that's bitten him in the ***.

It's possible to give him credit as he deserves for 21, while at the same time holding him accountable for what has been two completely unacceptable years of performance.

Finally, it's at least a little incriminating to Lemonis that the team he inherited finished third in Omaha with an interim coach after a scandalized in-season firing. That kinda gives you an anyone-could-have-done-it vibe. But he gets credit for at least not driving his first couple of teams into the ditch. He used what he had effectively.

His biggest problems to me are his portal whiffs and lack of player development. And not making Hoover back-to-back, no matter how nattys he won prior, is never acceptable here.

Very well said. It’s totally false for anyone to suggest he didn’t have to do anything to win in 2021. But he also inherited some good pieces.

The part of ‘21 that doesn’t get talked about enough is TA’s injury in 2020 and the Draft being only 5 rounds that year. Good chance we don’t get either TA or Rowdey back for ‘21 under normal circumstances.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
To be clear, are you disputing that TA and Rowdey were the only two major contributors on the 2021 roster that were already on campus when Lemonis took over? That's what I want people to clarify: When people say Lemonis inherited a national title team, they are talking about two players. Am I missing something?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
It’s totally false for anyone to suggest he didn’t have to do anything to win in 2021. But he also inherited some good pieces.
I'd like us to name the pieces. I'll start: TA and Rowdey. Please finish the list.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
He's a good coach who inherited a really good team. He added some key guys, had some luck but made the right decisions to win a Natty. He deserves a lot of credit. I hope he becomes a guy we credit for being a great recruiter.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
To be clear, are you disputing that TA and Rowdey were the only two major contributors on the 2021 roster that were already on campus when Lemonis took over? That's what I want people to clarify: When people say Lemonis inherited a national title team, they are talking about two players. Am I missing something?
So, according to this, we have a 'plastic' national championship?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You're putting words in my mouth. It's not debatable that Lemonis inherited a championship caliber team with a culture of winning. Whether it was only two guys, or it was eight guys he inherited that made the difference in 21, there was a culture in place that had been there. That's what he inherited. The guys he brought in that contributed also were influenced by the culture already in place.

And just so you know, that culture is not here anymore. I understand you're trying to absolve Lemonis of responsibility here, but that's the issue at the core with this program.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I mean didn't coach O win a natty with burrow? Sometimes you get lucky and get a game changer. He was fired two years later. Like @thatsbaseball said. Chiz won a natty with bednar.

he gets credit for adding those pieces. The program was already built though thanks to cohen and the foundation. However he also gets credit for not adding to that foundation and letting the house crumble and being crap two years in row and not developing

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
You're putting words in my mouth. It's not debatable that Lemonis inherited a championship caliber team with a culture of winning. Whether it was only two guys, or it was eight guys he inherited that made the difference in 21, there was a culture in place that had been there. That's what he inherited. The guys he brought in that contributed also were influenced by the culture already in place.

And just so you know, that culture is not here anymore. I understand you're trying to absolve Lemonis of responsibility here, but that's the issue at the core with this program.
He inherited a very good team/culture in 2018/2019. We won the national title in 2021.

I'm not trying to absolve him of anything. He was the coach in 2022 and 2023. Those are his seasons. But he was also a third-year coach in 2021 and won the first national title in school history. What I'm trying to get people to clarify is that TA and Rowdey were the only pieces he inherited that won a national title. Don't get me wrong, TA and Rowdey are legends. A lot of coaches would kill for two players of that caliber. But people throw around, "Lemonis inherited a national title team," as if more than these two players from the 2021 roster were on campus when Lemonis arrived. Maybe they incorrectly assume that more of the 2021 roster was on campus in the summer of 2018. Or maybe they think it only takes two really good position players to win a natty.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Am I missing anyone?

south park beat a dead horse GIF

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
He inherited a very good team/culture in 2018/2019. We won the national title in 2021.

I'm not trying to absolve him of anything. He was the coach in 2022 and 2023. Those are his seasons. But he was also a third-year coach in 2021 and won the first national title in school history. What I'm trying to get people to clarify is that TA and Rowdey were the only pieces he inherited that won a national title. Don't get me wrong, TA and Rowdey are legends. A lot of coaches would kill for two players of that caliber. But people throw around, "Lemonis inherited a national title team," as if more than these two players from the 2021 roster were on campus when Lemonis arrived. Maybe they incorrectly assume that more of the 2021 roster was on campus in the summer of 2018. Or maybe they think it only takes two really good position players to win a natty.
I'm aware he coached prior to 2021. You're diminishing the impact of guys that were holdovers on his first team that had influence and set the tone and culture for guys, who then did the same for the 21 team. The difference now is that all of those guys are gone, and it shows. This isn't even a debatable point so I don't know why you're harping on it.

Lemonis also had some luck along the way. There were a lot of questionable decisions with bullpen usage and the like that the team was able to overcome in 21. Those mistakes have been more glaring the last couple of seasons because that margin for error is gone.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
His last two seasons make people wonder about him. Coach O and Chizik show that you can get lucky and win it all without being a great coach. Can Lemonis basically do what Mainieri did at LSU? He had one Natty but LSU was always good and sometimes really good. I'll gladly take that.

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011

He inherited a Ferrari and maintained the Ferrari for 3 years. Then crashed it and bought a Ford Pinto.

He gets credit for winning it. Yes. He pushed a lot of right buttons that, Cohen, for instance, would not have. But he also wouldn’t have a single CWS appearance without TA and Rowdey/inherited players. (I mean 2019 was absolutely stacked, Joe Moorhead coulda coached them to a CWS).

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Am I missing anyone?

It takes everything coming together to win a natty; roster, coaching, getting breaks at the right time, etc. Anyone not giving the coaching credit is just not being realistic.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
It takes everything coming together to win a natty; roster, coaching, getting breaks at the right time, etc. Anyone not giving the coaching credit is just not being realistic.
It only takes two really good position players to win a natty. How Cannizaro didn't win a natty with Rooker and Mangum (both inherited) in 2017, I'll never know...

• Haha
Reactions: Perd Hapley

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The part of ‘21 that doesn’t get talked about enough is TA’s injury in 2020 and the Draft being only 5 rounds that year. Good chance we don’t get either TA or Rowdey back for ‘21 under normal circumstances.
Also a good chance that 2020 team is a national contender. So it all works itself out.

Reactions: drumrcraig

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It only takes two really good position players to win a natty. How Cannizaro didn't win a natty with Rooker and Mangum (both inherited) in 2017, I'll never know...
I think that your second sentence demonstrates the fallacy of your first. I'm not a baseball guy, so I'm not the one to argue a position, but I would be surprised if many people who know college BB well would agree with the 2 player assertion.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I think that your second sentence demonstrates the fallacy of your first. I'm not a baseball guy, so I'm not the one to argue a position, but I would be surprised if many people who know college BB well would agree with the 2 player assertion.
I tend to agree with you, but I'm trying to assume the logic of others.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

patdog

May 28, 2007
Lemonis inherited a good program and made it better for a while. He deserves credit for that. He then completely destroyed it in 12 months. He deserves credit for that too.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I tend to agree with you, but I'm trying to assume the logic of others.
That's the problem. You're making assumptions about what you think people are saying instead of listening to what people are telling you.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
I'd like us to name the pieces. I'll start: TA and Rowdey. Please finish the list.

Baseball recruiting you have to be on a high school kid in 9th or 10th grade. Hancock, L Tanner, K James, Cumbest were Cohen/Cann recruits. That's 6 out of 9 in the batting lineup in 2021. Lemonis can claim the other 3 Forsyth, Clark, and Dabrule.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Baseball recruiting you have to be on a high school kid in 9th or 10th grade. Hancock, L Tanner, K James, Cumbest were Cohen/Cann recruits. That's 6 out of 9 in the batting lineup in 2021. Lemonis can claim the other 3 Forsyth, Clark, and Dabrule.
New rules changed that

there have been very few if any college coaches/scouts at the 15u (2026 and younger) and below circuit this summer - PBR/WWBA ETC

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
My big takeaway from this thread is the winning formula for a national championship is:
1. Have a former player coach for about 7 years, then retire to take an administrative role.
2. Hire a young up and coming poonhound assistant with his cellphone surgically attached to his right hand.
3. Have that guy coach one season, then the first series of the next season and fire him.
4. Replace him with a trusted and universally loved long-timer, but only on an interim basis.
5. Replace the interim with a coach from a middle tier team from a power conference.
6. Have a worldwide pandemic cancel his second season and grant players an extra year of eligibility.

voila! Magic!

Now we just need a player from the 1999-2003 teams to step up and take the next head coaching gig and for a lab in China to create the next extinction level event and we’ll be back in the spotlight within the next 10 years!

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
My big takeaway from this thread is the winning formula for a national championship is:
1. Have a former player coach for about 7 years, then retire to take an administrative role.
2. Hire a young up and coming poonhound assistant with his cellphone surgically attached to his right hand.
3. Have that guy coach one season, then the first series of the next season and fire him.
4. Replace him with a trusted and universally loved long-timer, but only on an interim basis.
5. Replace the interim with a coach from a middle tier team from a power conference.
6. Have a worldwide pandemic cancel his second season and grant players an extra year of eligibility.

voila! Magic!

Now we just need a player from the 1999-2003 teams to step up and take the next head coaching gig and for a lab in China to create the next extinction level event and we’ll be back in the spotlight within the next 10 years!

The Daily Show Reaction GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Reactions: Dawgg

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Those people are dumb. He absolutely gets credit for the national title. Dumb people just get wrapped up in the moment.

You make a great point on Jay Johnson. Remember, he also nearly won it with Arizona in year 1, then fell off and eventually got back. He's done the same at LSU, aided by the transfers.

I just wish people trashing Lemonis would just shut their mouth when we are chasing guys in the portal and going against programs like LSU. If Holman read this board I'm sure it didn't help when comparing what he's reading with everyone all in with JJ on the LSU board. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. Then we want to trash Lemonis when he doesn't pull a guy that we are competing with other top programs to get. As usual we have a certain segment that hope we are bad again next year so we can cycle in ANOTHER HC.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I just wish people trashing Lemonis would just shut their mouth when we are chasing guys in the portal and going against programs like LSU. If Holman read this board I'm sure it didn't help when comparing what he's reading with everyone all in with JJ on the LSU board. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. Then we want to trash Lemonis when he doesn't pull a guy that we are competing with other top programs to get. As usual we have a certain segment that hope we are bad again next year so we can cycle in ANOTHER HC.
Just stop with this ridiculous bullsh**. I can promise you Holman didn’t go to LSU because of anything anyone posted on this message board.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Its always been a cop-out argument. If he truly “inherited a NC team”, he would have won it all in 2019. That team was significantly more loaded than the 2021 team….probably the most loaded MSU team in history, and we went 1-2 in Omaha. Of the 12 true every day players (9 in field and DH, 3 weekend starters), 17-ing FOUR were 1st picks. 33%. Another who wasn’t a 1st round pick was a 3rd rounder who went on to be SEC POTY. Another was a 4th rounder who was and is the SEC’s all-time hits leader. Another was Rowdey Jordan who was a 4-time All-SEC guy. Just a ridiculous roster….and no NC.

That’s not an indictment against Lemonis….its just further evidence that its really 17ing hard to make it to and win the CWS. Takes some talent, a bit of luck / hot-hitting and pitching, and absolutely takes the head man pushing the right buttons at the right times. No “bad” coach has ever won a CWS. The fact that people think he’s a truly bad coach is comical.

And the other thing I’d ask those people is what result would have been acceptable to them in 2021 to prove he’s a good coach, if somehow earning a national seed in the regular season and winning the national title in the postseason wasn’t enough? How is it even possible that the maximum possible result doesn’t even meet the minimum expectation for “good coach” evaluation….in Year 3….no matter how good the roster is?

He’s one of only 3 things:

1) A really good coach who made a mistake (as all do at some point) with his pitching coach hire

2) A really good coach who got complacent after his ultimate prize was won, and has let his grip on the program’s culture and possibly recruiting slide.

3) Both 1) and 2).

But he’s certainly not a bad coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: She Mate Me

patdog

May 28, 2007
Its always been a cop-out argument. If he truly “inherited a NC team”, he would have won it all in 2019. That team was significantly more loaded than the 2021 team….probably the most loaded MSU team in history, and we went 1-2 in Omaha. Of the 12 true every day players (9 in field and DH, 3 weekend starters), 17-ing FOUR were 1st picks. 33%. Another who wasn’t a 1st round pick was a 3rd rounder who went on to be SEC POTY. Another was a 4th rounder who was and is the SEC’s all-time hits leader. Another was Rowdey Jordan who was a 4-time All-SEC guy. Just a ridiculous roster….and no NC.

That’s not an indictment against Lemonis….its just further evidence that its really 17ing hard to make it to and win the CWS. Takes some talent, a bit of luck / hot-hitting and pitching, and absolutely takes the head man pushing the right buttons at the right times. No “bad” coach has ever won a CWS. The fact that people think he’s a truly bad coach is comical.

He’s one of only 3 things:

1) A really good coach who made a mistake (as all do at some point) with his pitching coach hire

2) A really good coach who got complacent after his ultimate prize was won, and has let his grip on the program’s culture and possibly recruiting slide.

3) Both 1) and 2).

But he’s certainly not a bad coach.
How good a coach is he really? At Indiana, he had 3 mediocre seasons followed by 1 good season. Then at State, 2 great seasons & 2 terrible ones. At best, he’s been very inconsistent.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Just stop with this ridiculous bullsh**. I can promise you Holman didn’t go to LSU because of anything anyone posted on this message board.

You can't promise anything unless you know Holman personally. And I don't know either what the final decision maker was for him but I do know continuing to trash our program and Lemonis publicly is a hindance to recruiting. Anyone who doesn't believe that just has their head in the sand. Would it hurt to hold back at least until these big time decisions are made? Of course we have the faction that want us to suck again next year anyway just so Lemonis has to go.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
You can't promise anything unless you know Holman personally. And I don't know either what the final decision maker was for him but I do know continuing to trash our program and Lemonis publicly is a hindance to recruiting. Anyone who doesn't believe that just has their head in the sand. Would it hurt to hold back at least until these big time decisions are made? Of course we have the faction that want us to suck again next year anyway just so Lemonis has to go.
Please tell me you don’t really believe this. A recruit is considering 2 schools. “It’s close but I like School A’s coach, facilities, players a little better and the NIL money is comparable. But some anonymous person posted something mean on s message board, so Im signing with School B instead.”

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
How good a coach is he really? At Indiana, he had 3 mediocre seasons followed by 1 good season. Then at State, 2 great seasons & 2 terrible ones. At best, he’s been very inconsistent.

Indiana is a horrible program historically….in a horrible, horrible conference. Keep in mind that the B1G every year ranks below even the Sun Belt in Conference RPI. And Indiana is a historical bottom 3 program in that league. Making 3 regionals in 4 years there is a major accomplishment….and making the postseason there is never a “mediocre season”. That’s absurd. I think at the time he left, he was responsible for 50% of their postseason appearances over 60 something years as a program….in only 4 years.

Here’s the real resume:

At IU:
- 3 very good seasons
- 1 pretty good season by IU standards, where they just missed the postseason

At MSU:
- 2 outstanding seasons
- 1 cancelled season that was at minimum going to be at least a pretty good season (this one always gets me because people seem to think we could have finished DFL this year too….even though things were very much still “on the rails” with the program at this time).
- 2 terrible seasons

So, he had 7 consecutive years of much better than average performance at 2 different programs. That’s how I know he’s a good coach. The 2 terrible seasons were the most recent 2. Root cause still unknown as to how much is just bad run of circumstances with the pitching coach, pitching injuries, and pitcher recruiting, or if there’s more to it. But he’s still well above par for his career when judging his performance against his predecessors at both schools.

You wouldn’t look at a guy who made 3 minor bowl games in 4 years at Vandy and say “how do we know if he’s a good coach?”.

Last edited:

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I read on a sports message board that a really good athlete had been unsure over what university to attend, a major decision he thought about endlessly and discussed with family and close friends and athletes and coaches from both universities. He couldn't decide where to enrol until he read a post by "Podgy," someone he's never met nor even knows, a poster who is often sarcastic and likely posts way to often to political threads. Podgy's post convinced him to not go to the university Podgy supports, graduated from, and is incredibly loyal to, and who enjoys watching his university win more games than they lose.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Indiana is a horrible program historically….in a horrible, horrible conference. Keep in mind that the B1G every year ranks below even the Sun Belt in Conference RPI. And Indiana is a historical bottom 3 program in that league. Making 3 regionals in 4 years there is a major accomplishment….and making the postseason there is never a “mediocre season”. That’s absurd. I think at the time he left, he was responsible for 50% of their postseason appearances over 60 something years as a program….in only 4 years.

Here’s the real resume:

At IU:
- 3 very good seasons
- 1 pretty good season by IU standards, where they just missed the postseason

At MSU:
- 2 outstanding seasons
- 1 cancelled season that was at minimum going to be at least a pretty good season (this one always gets me because people seem to think we could have finished DFL this year too….even though things were very much still “on the rails” with the program at this time).
- 2 terrible seasons

So, he had 7 consecutive years of much better than average performance at 2 different programs. That’s how I know he’s a good coach. The 2 terrible seasons were the most recent 2. Root cause still unknown as to how much is just bad run pitching coach, pitching injuries, and pitcher recruiting, or if there’s more to it. But he’s still well above par for his career when judging his performance against his predecessors at both schools.

You wouldn’t look at a guy who made 3 minor bowl games in 4 years at Vandy and say “how do we know if he’s a good coach?”.
Indiana has 3 Big 10 titles, 3 Big 10 tournament titles, 8 NCAA regionals & 1 CWS in the last 14 seasons. It ain’t that hard to have pretty good seasons there.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I read on a sports message board that a really good athlete had been unsure over what university to attend, a major decision he thought about endlessly and discussed with family and close friends and athletes and coaches from both universities. He couldn't decide where to enrol until he read a post by "Podgy," someone he's never met nor even knows, a poster who is often sarcastic and likely posts way to often to political threads. Podgy's post convinced him to not go to the university Podgy supports, graduated from, and is incredibly loyal to, and who enjoys watching his university win more games than they lose.
So, it’s YOUR fault we didn’t sign Holman. A**hole! **

Reactions: josebrown
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login