Was the “backwards pass” fumble call a bad one?

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Only got one look at the replay but it looked like ball was at, at worst, parallel to the yard line Will was standing on. It was kind of an optical illusion because Marks was behind Will at the time of release, but was running forwards to catch it in stride. And the ball got batted down so quickly that I thought it was a pretty hasty call to rule it a backwards pass.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Nope. Clearly backwards. And I hope that is scrapped from the playbook. Just pitch it if it’s going to be a run.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I thought it was closer than the announcers implied. But, ultimately it’s got be a forward ​pass. I didn’t think it would get overturned on replay either way.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Good call by the ref. Just sloppily executed. We got a little sloppy on that drive and too careless and lose. Didn't look very sharp as we did esrlier

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Good call by the ref. Just sloppily executed. We got a little sloppy on that drive and too careless and lose. Didn't look very sharp as we did esrlier

I think it would have been dissected a lot more closely and from many more angles if we weren’t up big late. I definitely don’t think the intent of the play was to throw backwards. If it was in fact backwards, that’s just a mistake by Will.

Aug 3, 2011
There is absolutely no question that it was lateral to backwards. The refs got the call right and I feel like they did a pretty good job all game. Much better than most SEC crews we run into.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
There is absolutely no question that it was lateral to backwards. The refs got the call right and I feel like they did a pretty good job all game. Much better than most SEC crews we run into.

I don’t think there’s any way you can say there was “no question” about it when the ball traveled a grand total of about 6 feet in the air before being deflected. You can’t judge **** from that unless you are standing at the exact yard line on the sideline where Will through the ball, and even then it would be pretty difficult. It was certainly fairly close on the one replay they showed, and in real time.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
I don’t think there’s any way you can say there was “no question” about it when the ball traveled a grand total of about 6 feet in the air before being deflected. You can’t judge **** from that unless you are standing at the exact yard line on the sideline where Will through the ball, and even then it would be pretty difficult. It was certainly fairly close on the one replay they showed, and in real time.

There’s these things on the field called lines. Marks was 2 yards behind Rogers and he clearly turned and threw behind the line he was standing on.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
There’s these things on the field called lines. Marks was 2 yards behind Rogers and he clearly turned and threw behind the line he was standing on.

Where Marks was standing at the time of release is irrelevant, and the fact that you’d even bring that up shows how little you know about the rule. He wasn’t standing where he would have caught the ball, because he was running upfield. And the ball never got within 15 yards of him because it was deflected.

It was a close call. It could have been backwards, it could have been lateral or slightly forwards. The one angle they showed made it look like the flight path (for all of 2 yards) was fairly parallel with the nearest yard line behind Rogers, but it was a poor angle that wasn’t looking right down the line. Either way, it was much closer than the announcers and the officials let on. That’s all I’m saying.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
If the ball was untouched it would have ended up being a forward pass. Mark’s was behind Will but was turning upfield. I think it was a forward pass.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Good call by ref. But I bet if he would have completed the pass, they would have credited and padded the passing and receiving stats.
With that said, has anyone else noticed that Leach runs his toss sweeps a little differently, in that he has the pitch just slightly forward where the back catches it after he turns up field? I’m guessing he likes this because it’s getting the back up the field north and south quickly, and I know he’s big on that with his backs and receivers. But my only qualm and question is, are they counting these toss sweeps as passing stats a lot of the time? Like they do in a similar fashion to the shovel, or even worse sometimes the jet sweep..

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
The game highlights are on YouTube.
1. The pass was not forward. It was lateral or backwards.
2. The officials were not in position to make the call.
3. Bad play call and execution. Call was suspect and Will didn’t get a good drop before he released it.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
The game highlights are on YouTube.
1. The pass was not forward. It was lateral or backwards.
2. The officials were not in position to make the call.
3. Bad play call and execution. Call was suspect and Will didn’t get a good drop before he released it.

You can’t say it was “lateral or backward” without also acknowledging the possibility that it was forward. If the ball travels literally one millimeter further forward than a lateral, its a forward pass.

What you said is like saying “the car looked like it was going 65mph, it might have been going 70 mph, but NO WAY was it going 70.01 mph”.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
You can’t say it was “lateral or backward” without also acknowledging the possibility that it was forward. If the ball travels literally one millimeter further forward than a lateral, its a forward pass.

What you said is like saying “the car looked like it was going 65mph, it might have been going 70 mph, but NO WAY was it going 70.01 mph”.

Whatever dude.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Only got one look at the replay but it looked like ball was at, at worst, parallel to the yard line Will was standing on. It was kind of an optical illusion because Marks was behind Will at the time of release, but was running forwards to catch it in stride. And the ball got batted down so quickly that I thought it was a pretty hasty call to rule it a backwards pass.

Didn't see a replay from available angles. It was just Miss State and it was late. It wasn't very important like some of the many other replays that moved at the speed of smell in other games yesterday. My favorite was the TD catch I saw in one game where everyone else said that the receiver got his arms and hands underneath the ball for the score only for them to take day or so (enough time for me to be able give birth to a Rebel fan in the *******) just to let us all know we saw it all incorrectly and he actually dropped that ball

But not indisputably simply because no one brought a dictionary so they would know what that word meant.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Didn't see a replay from available angles. It was just Miss State and it was late. It wasn't very important like some of the many other replays that moved at the speed of smell in other games yesterday. My favorite was the TD catch I saw in one game where everyone else said that the receiver got his arms and hands underneath the ball for the score only for them to take day or so (enough time for me to be able give birth to a Rebel fan in the *******) just to let us all know we saw it all incorrectly and he actually dropped that ball

But not indisputably simply because no one brought a dictionary so they would know what that word meant.

Agreed. I was fine with them not taking that much time to look at it under the circumstances, but hope that SEC refs in a tight game against a divisional rival would take a longer look.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login