Was This 17 Yr Old Guy Abused or Just Flat Out Lucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Really not a fan of making what would otherwise be legal sex a felony just because a teacher or coach or whatever authority figure is involved. Ban them from teaching or being in whatever authority position was involved, slap them with a misdemeanor, put them in jail for 60 days or whatever. But if she could have resigned and immediately started a relationship without it being a crime at all, a felony and having to register as a sex offender seems disproportionate. Either the age of consent needs to be raised where it'd be a crime regardless of whether the person is a teacher or coach, or the seriousness of the crime based solely on being a teacher or coach needs to be reduced.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I would think we all know I am against putting these dream makers in jail. Also for the record he is lucky. That being said, I will play my advocate here, and pose the obvious question what if the gender roles are reversed here then it is still not a big deal? I know plenty of couples (myself included) that have age gaps in their relationships. Mrs. Morningstar is a few years older than me very close to the years that separate these two in the article, but we got together in our 30's so no harm or foul.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Really not a fan of making what would otherwise be legal sex a felony just because a teacher or coach or whatever authority figure is involved. Ban them from teaching or being in whatever authority position was involved, slap them with a misdemeanor, put them in jail for 60 days or whatever. But if she could have resigned and immediately started a relationship without it being a crime at all, a felony and having to register as a sex offender seems disproportionate. Either the age of consent needs to be raised where it'd be a crime regardless of whether the person is a teacher or coach, or the seriousness of the crime based solely on being a teacher or coach needs to be reduced.
Just curious. What if the track coach had been a 55 year old male track coach giving an 11th grade girl or better yet a boy the business. Kinda feels like a felony to me.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
This went on for over a year?... She texted a 2 am and said come come come on over. He went. They had done that schit before. Either her husband/boyfriend found out or his parents found out and blew the whistle. If he broke it off and wanted to go public he would be Reddit famous with some videos by now.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Just curious. What if the track coach had been a 55 year old male track coach giving an 11th grade girl or better yet a boy the business. Kinda feels like a felony to me.
I don't disagree with that, but I think it should be a felony regardless of whether he's a track coach.

I think the age of consent should be raised to 18 but for people over 16, make the age difference 4 years for a 16 year old and 5 years for a 17 year old for it to not be statutory rape. E.g., a 16 year old and a 20 year old would be "ok", a 17 year old and a 22 year old would be "ok". Still very likely to be a sleazy situation, but not so obviously wrong to make it a felony. If a teacher or coach messes around with a 18 year old that's still in school, that should end their professional career but not sure it should be a felony as sleazy as it seems.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I would think we all know I am against putting these dream makers in jail. Also for the record he is lucky. That being said, I will play my advocate here, and pose the obvious question what if the gender roles are reversed here then it is still not a big deal? I know plenty of couples (myself included) that have age gaps in their relationships. Mrs. Morningstar is a few years older than me very close to the years that separate these two in the article, but we got together in our 30's so no harm or foul.
I know I'll get some blowback here but I consider gender to be paramount and it would be a whole different deal had it been a male teacher with a girl. My first was at age 15 and the woman was 27 and I'd do it all over again. Of course it had to end but I was not heartbroken over it or damaged in any way. I just had to go back to having sex with myself which sucked.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
I don't disagree with that, but I think it should be a felony regardless of whether he's a track coach.

I think the age of consent should be raised to 18 but for people over 16, make the age difference 4 years for a 16 year old and 5 years for a 17 year old for it to not be statutory rape. E.g., a 16 year old and a 20 year old would be "ok", a 17 year old and a 22 year old would be "ok". Still very likely to be a sleazy situation, but not so obviously wrong to make it a felony. If a teacher or coach messes around with a 18 year old that's still in school, that should end their professional career but not sure it should be a felony as sleazy as it seems.

The formula half your age plus 7 works well

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Lucifer married a cougar?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Was This 17 Yr Old Guy Abused or Just Flat Out Lucky?​

Reactions: johnson86-1

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Seriously though- its illegal and improper. It is clearly against the school policy, district rules, and state coaching rules.

The whole 'well its a boy so he got lucky because I would have given my left nut to be with Mrs Cannon when I was 17!' is total BS and both misses the point while also normalizing what should be clearly improper behavior.

From a legal perspective- I dont know what PA has for laws and am unsure if I think it should be a felony vs something else. To be clear though, I dont know what any state has for laws because I just plan to never need to know.

As a parent, I am strongly against this being viewed as acceptable.
As a HS coach, I am strongly against this being viewed as acceptable.
As a leder of a youth non-profit mentorship program I am strongly against this being viewed as acceptable.
It is abusive, yes. It is abusive to be in a position of power and influence, and have sex with someone that reports to you or is influenced by you.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Seriously though- its illegal and improper. It is clearly against the school policy, district rules, and state coaching rules.

The whole 'well its a boy so he got lucky because I would have given my left nut to be with Mrs Cannon when I was 17!' is total BS and both misses the point while also normalizing what should be clearly improper behavior.

From a legal perspective- I dont know what PA has for laws and am unsure if I think it should be a felony vs something else. To be clear though, I dont know what any state has for laws because I just plan to never need to know.

As a leder of a youth non-profit mentorship program I am strongly against this being viewed as acceptable.
It is abusive, yes. It is abusive to be in a position of power and influence, and have sex with someone that reports to you or is influenced by you

It is abusive, yes. It is abusive to be in a position of power and influence, and have sex with someone that reports to you or is influenced by you.
DS should’ve just asked you who founded SPS

Reactions: mstateglfr

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

You do realize this kinda schit's been going on since the dawn of mankind, No? How the hell did we ever survive?

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
As much as this seems to happen these days, it makes your wonder - (1) has this been going on since time immemorial and its just gets flagged more often because of people finding evidence like text messages and DM's, or (2) has hit become more frequent simply because teachers have a larger degree of direct communication with students - i.e booty text at 2:00 am.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You do realize this kinda schit's been going on since the dawn of mankind, No? How the hell did we ever survive?
I am not surprised you responded in this manner. Yes, I am aware this has been going on for millennia. The fact that it happens doesnt make it right and shouldnt make it acceptable.

I find it highly ironic that in a time when the term 'grooming' is thrown around with little care to whether its applicable or not(and is often not even used correctly), some who I am confident would say such things are normalizing this story and stories like it.

Reactions: FQDawg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think we’re only having this conversation because the teacher is attractive.

If this was a slumpbuster, we would be having a different conversation.

Reactions: RotorHead

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
My wife is 10 years my junior. . . . .She was in her 20's when she got lucky and met me. . . . .See, I have it all planned out. . . . .I'm gonna retire early and I'll have insurance thru her. . . . .Plus, a younger woman will keep you younger. . . . .You just gott keep up. . . . . .

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I am not surprised you responded in this manner. Yes, I am aware this has been going on for millennia. The fact that it happens doesnt make it right and shouldnt make it acceptable.

I find it highly ironic that in a time when the term 'grooming' is thrown around with little care to whether its applicable or not(and is often not even used correctly), some who I am confident would say such things are normalizing this story and stories like it.
Drag Queen Story Hour and hiding pronoun "choices" of pre-pubescent children by teachers from their parents is a helluva lot worse than this story.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
...hiding pronoun "choices" of pre-pubescent children by teachers from their parents is a helluva lot worse than this story.

(and is often not even used correctly)
^ haha, right on time with your comment. That isn't grooming. Teachers aren't grooming kids if they don't tell parents that little Timmy identifies as Tanya.

But you keep doing you on this. Keep supporting this behavior with claims that 'it's OK because it happens'.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Gonna have to agree with glfr on this one. As much as we all joke about it, there really is nothing about this that is okay. He’s a kid. She’s an adult and in a position of power. I don’t have any sons, so admittedly my hackles get up easier than some on this board when it comes to stories like this because all I can think of are my daughters, but the fact that this is a boy Instead of a girl really shouldn’t make any difference. A teacher having sex with a student is wrong. Full stop.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Lucky. But what a dang javelin coach? Wow. I would picture the javelin coach and the shot put gal to be one and the same. And i can’t image the shot put gal being much of a looker

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I would feel the same if the sexes were switched. There are plenty of 17 year old girls that have had sex with the whole football team. One more 30 year old male makes no difference if she wants it

• Angry
Reactions: HailStout

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I would feel the same if the sexes were switched. There are plenty of 17 year old girls that have had sex with the whole football team. One more 30 year old male makes no difference if she wants it
Holy hell, man. There aren’t words for how F’d up that is. I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say you don’t have daughters.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
^ haha, right on time with your comment. That isn't grooming. Teachers aren't grooming kids if they don't tell parents that little Timmy identifies as Tanya.

But you keep doing you on this. Keep supporting this behavior with claims that 'it's OK because it happens'.
Teachers are required to give a full assessment of student performance to parents which includes behavior as well. Children should not be able to hide this kinda behavior from their parents with the help of a public school teacher who is paid by the parents they are deceiving. You are SO in the minority on this.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Teachers are required to give a full assessment of student performance to parents which includes behavior as well. Children should not be able to hide this kinda behavior from their parents with the help of a public school teacher who is paid by the parents they are deceiving. You are SO in the minority on this.
A teacher not telling a parent that Timmy wants to be Tanya isn’t grooming.

The original story in this thread is a fairly textbook example of what grooming actually is. But you seem to be fine with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgg and ckDOG

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

You associated something to 'grooming' that isn't actually grooming. As I said initially, and then pointed out after you said it, that term is thrown around and misused quite frequently.

What you don't seem to grasp is they I m not defending a teacher keeping a child's identity from their parents. Good lord man, this is a classic example of you not being able to focus on what my comments pertain to. You started the thread and you can't even follow along.

You claim I am in the minority on something. What exactly? And post what I said that makes me in the minority. Again, I have not said teachers should hide student identity from parents. What I did say was that your example sucked and it's nothing like the inappropriate sexual behavior shown by the teacher in your initial post.

Your view about teachers being allowed to 17 students since thars how it's been thru history is straight up bonkers.
Your insistence in turning the conversation into a gender identity argument is also straight up bonkers. I have not weighed in on your gender hypothetical so don't claim I have.

Reactions: FQDawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Selling drugs is illegal and improper.

do you think people selling drugs should face felonies?
Do you think we should normalize that?

I don’t feel sorry for the lady if she receive a life altering felony bc I’m sure she knew the consequences before she performed the actions BUT it’s legal to have a relationship with a 17 year old guy/gal/tranny unless you are a teacher coach.

It doesn’t make good logical sense that in one instance you are a felon and the other you are perfectly fine.

Should she lose her job? No question, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login