Way OT: Good grief Honda

patdog

May 28, 2007
They just don’t make cars as well as they did 10 years ago. And it’s getting worse instead of better. I suspect in this case few engines will need replacing. Just replace the defective rod. Probably still a 2-3 day job.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
They just don’t make cars as well as they did 10 years ago. And it’s getting worse instead of better. I suspect in this case few engines will need replacing. Just replace the defective rod. Probably still a 2-3 day job.
Just worries me having to go into a 48K well service engine if that's necessary. I'm starting to lose my trust in the vehicle.

Reactions: patdog

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Toyota owns Mazda now and fixing to start building those cars in the United States. Their quality will start to go down.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
It’s because of all the **** they put in there. All the computers and switches and power this and power that have made so many moving parts there is bound to be design flaws. Don’t get me wrong, I love the bells and whistles but I remember the old 350s on 90’s silverados. You could fit a family of four underneath that hood outside of the engine space. In my current car you have to take a cover off of a cover to get to the air filter.

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
We have a low mileage 2019 Pilot that we've really enjoyed other than the damn recalls and here we go again.

Just had all the injectors replaced last month (fix-if-failure recall) and have had several others. How much is this crap happening with other manufacturers ? I mean REPLACE the engine, really ?
When Toyota/Lexus begins having these kinda probs, then I'm gone worry. Govt regs on CAFE and safety are killing long-term and short-term reliability.

Reactions: thatsbaseball
May 7, 2006
We have a low mileage 2019 Pilot that we've really enjoyed other than the damn recalls and here we go again.

Just had all the injectors replaced last month (fix-if-failure recall) and have had several others. How much is this crap happening with other manufacturers ? I mean REPLACE the engine, really ?
I have a 2017 Pilot that experienced issues with the fuel injectors. I also had the transmission 'juddering' issue (also a TSB) that required a software upgrade and three fluid changes to simulate a flush. I still get Transmission System Problem alerts on occasion.

My wife's 2014 Accord has gone through two new starters and now has a dashboard full of warning lights because the VSA module went out. If we wanted to shell out the $2500 to replace it, we couldn't because it is on backorder.

Don't buy Hondas

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Toyota owns Mazda now and fixing to start building those cars in the United States. Their quality will start to go down.
That is incorrect. Toyota does NOT own Mazda and has little affiliation with them.
Mazda - Wikipedia
Mazda already has a plant in Mexico manufacturing The Mazda3 & Mazda6. I doubt they will build a plant in the U.S.

Reactions: Maroon Pug

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I have a 2017 Pilot that experienced issues with the fuel injectors. I also had the transmission 'juddering' issue (also a TSB) that required a software upgrade and three fluid changes to simulate a flush. I still get Transmission System Problem alerts on occasion.

My wife's 2014 Accord has gone through two new starters and now has a dashboard full of warning lights because the VSA module went out. If we wanted to shell out the $2500 to replace it, we couldn't because it is on backorder.

Don't buy Hondas
I've experienced great satisfaction with Hondas since 2009. Owned 3 that have all easily eclipsed 100K mileage (178, 165, & 105). Moreover, the Honda dealerships I've used have been top-shelf service and maintenance.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Most have issues. That’s why I’ve bought a couple of Hyundai suvs - 100k warranty. People often say any warranty problems should happen early so there’s no need for one longer than ~30,000 miles but that’s bs. Seems pretty common for people to have powertrain problems in that 50-75k mile range. My opinion is in this day & age every manufacturer should stand behind the engine & transmission for 100k. That’s why I don’t worry about it with Hyundai - if it craps out before 100k, not my problem

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I had a minor recall with my much discussed 2022 Frontier I purchased this past summer. Nissan sent a recall notice that my truck may slip out of PARK and roll away when parked on an incline. Nissan recommended I use my parking brake until my local dealer could make repairs. So I did that and called nearest dealership. Set an appointment, brought truck in, dealership gave me a ride home and called me about 4 hrs. later and offered to bring it to me or I could come get it. Problem was resolved with a minimum of aggravation to me.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
I've got a 2020 F450 that is on transmission number 3. The first recall was at 3,000 miles. Another 5,000 miles later, they issued another recall on the recalled transmission. Do not buy ford.

Reactions: Indndawg

Dawgs_4_life

Jun 12, 2014
It’s because of all the **** they put in there. All the computers and switches and power this and power that have made so many moving parts there is bound to be design flaws. Don’t get me wrong, I love the bells and whistles but I remember the old 350s on 90’s silverados. You could fit a family of four underneath that hood outside of the engine space. In my current car you have to take a cover off of a cover to get to the air filter.
Preach!!! Ive got a burning oil smell coming from the passenger side. I can not find a leak and i've been under it, over it, inside it, pulled covers off of covers to get to another cover.
I'm down to its either the valve covers or vacuum pump. I'm really hoping its just the seal in the vacuum pump.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
That is incorrect. Toyota does NOT own Mazda and has little affiliation with them.
Mazda - Wikipedia
Mazda already has a plant in Mexico manufacturing The Mazda3 & Mazda6. I doubt they will build a plant in the U.S.

There's a joint Mazda/Toyota assembly plant in Huntsville. They assemble Mazda crossover vehicles. I think the Toyota side does Corollas.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

Don't buy Hondas
Honda has a technical service bulletin to replace all of your injectors free of charge (I just dealt with that) . If you disable your Variable Cylinder Management or VCM a lot of those other problems will probably go away (dealt with that too). I used an after market gadget called an SVCM and it works like a charm. Cost about $100 and takes 5 minutes to install.

Maroon Pug

Nov 5, 2022
There's a joint Mazda/Toyota assembly plant in Huntsville. They assemble Mazda crossover vehicles. I think the Toyota side does Corollas.
The Toyota Side mfg the Corolla Cross, basically the competitor to the Subaru Outback. The Mazda line has been quicker to start up than the Toyota line.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Most have issues. That’s why I’ve bought a couple of Hyundai suvs - 100k warranty. People often say any warranty problems should happen early so there’s no need for one longer than ~30,000 miles but that’s bs. Seems pretty common for people to have powertrain problems in that 50-75k mile range. My opinion is in this day & age every manufacturer should stand behind the engine & transmission for 100k. That’s why I don’t worry about it with Hyundai - if it craps out before 100k, not my problem
Hyundai SUV started leaking oil and just had all cover gaskets replaced under Hyundai factory warranty at 9 years, 2 months. Was still under 90K miles. Would have been out of pocket any other brand. That said, I will definitely be trading it in next year before I hit 10 years.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Toyota has a 5% ownership stake in Mazda & as you say they’re joint venturing on the plant in Huntsville. I think a good deal for both sides. Hopefully Mazda will be able to piggyback on Toyotas expertise with hybrids.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Replacing a connecting rod isn’t really a thing. In this case, with the bearing failing, you’ll have a galled up crankshaft pin which is just going to quickly chew up the next bearing if you put a new one in there. The rod isn’t the problem. Thus the need for an entire shortblock or entire engine replacement in this case.

When a rod does fail, you find out when its thrown through the side of your engine block. This would also, of course, necessitate an entire engine replacement.

Reactions: Spotdawg and patdog

Fang1

Oct 1, 2022
An
Particulate filters on gas engines coming too, that should be loads of fun…….

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I only buy Subarus these days, and I’ve had great experiences with them. Interesting to see if the computer screens 17 all that up, but it’s all been good so far

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Was toying with the idea of a new vehicle last week. I would have traded in my 2019 Pilot and when they printed out the carfax that upcoming recall bulletin was on there with a flag for a stop sale.

would have cost me over 2 grand off a trade since there is nothing they could do but wholesale it.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Was toying with the idea of a new vehicle last week. I would have traded in my 2019 Pilot and when they printed out the carfax that upcoming recall bulletin was on there with a flag for a stop sale.

would have cost me over 2 grand off a trade since there is nothing they could do but wholesale it.
All you need to do is get it serviced per the recall notice, and you can get full value again. You need to do that anyway, regardless of whether you want to keep the vehicle or not.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I only buy Subarus these days, and I’ve had great experiences with them. Interesting to see if the computer screens 17 all that up, but it’s all been good so far
We just bought our first Subaru. Wife’s been driving Mercedes for years and I’d really never even considered a Subaru but we went into this purchase as objective as we could be. I think that opening the hood was what sold me, there’s a motor and none of the crap you see under the hood nowadays. I know all that crap is somewhere but I don’t have to remove it just to see the engine.

Reactions: ZombieKissinger

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I've got a 2020 F450 that is on transmission number 3. The first recall was at 3,000 miles. Another 5,000 miles later, they issued another recall on the recalled transmission. Do not buy ford.
I have a neighbor who owns a mechanic shop specializing in diesel pickups. He says that probably 80 % of the trucks that come through his shop are Ford Superduty‘s He says that he loves the Fords because they keep him in business but he’d never own one.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
An

Particulate filters on gas engines coming too, that should be loads of fun…….

Nothing enrages me more than DPF systems on diesel trucks and tractors. It’s crap and many times it’s what causes us downtime at work. Once the warranty runs out on something we get it deleted.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
my truck may slip out of PARK and roll away when parked on an incline.
Yikes!

I grew up in the 70s/80s when standard transmissions were still common (my first few vehicles were standard). Engaging the parking brake/turning the wheel away from the curb was second nature and I still did it for many years even when I made the transition to automatics.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
But the thing is, they have us by the b***s. They don't care. you won't buy another Ford and I won't buy another Toyota. Lot's of other people have a brand they won't buy. But everybody is going to buy something, we'll just swap around.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
We just bought our first Subaru. Wife’s been driving Mercedes for years and I’d really never even considered a Subaru but we went into this purchase as objective as we could be. I think that opening the hood was what sold me, there’s a motor and none of the crap you see under the hood nowadays. I know all that crap is somewhere but I don’t have to remove it just to see the engine.
Not sure if the newer models are this way but the oil filter is right there on top. It makes it easy but the oil drips down the body after you change it. I like my wife’s Subaru but it seems to have had a lot of problems. The touch screen is finicky, wheel bearings have had to be replaced twice, rear main seal leaks, and there is a crack in the exhaust which is loud as hell. Guess it’s better than transmissions and power trains though.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
After listening to all the problems of these internal combustion engine cars with drive train issues and my mechanic telling me any car with electronics coming out of China is **** right now, is it time to switch a vehicle with waaaaay fewer moving parts? EV anyone? No oil leaks for sure!

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I’ve lived in places with a lot of snow, so that’s what led me to start buying them, but I love driving them too

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login