Way to early Coaching Carousel predictions.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Last week before Week 1. Let’s get your coaching carousel predictions for this year.
Lincoln Riley sucks, USC uses their new Big10 money to hire Sarkisian. Texas hires Elko. A&M hires Kiffen 10 years 150 million guaranteed. Gas is 5.80 by March.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Last week before Week 1. Let’s get your coaching carousel predictions for this year.
Lincoln Riley sucks, USC uses their new Big10 money to hire Sarkisian. Texas hires Elko. A&M hires Kiffen 10 years 150 million guaranteed. Gas is 5.80 by March.
Why would Sark leave Texas for USC ? Wouldn’t that be quite a step down ?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We can only hope. Unfortunately i don't know if Lame leaves for another college job (short of TOSU, UGA level).

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
“Texas hires Elko” (gif was too large)

Attachments

• IMG_7419.jpeg
    IMG_7419.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: BulldogBlitz

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’d look for Lane to get offered the Florida job after Sunbelt Billy gets canned this year.
I don't know if he'd take it. He's got it made at OM, plus I wonder it's harder to win at UF than most of us think? They've cycled through a ton of coaches since Urban.

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
USC will not hire Sarkisian back after what led to him being the first time he was HC there.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I don't know if he'd take it. He's got it made at OM, plus I wonder it's harder to win at UF than most of us think? They've cycled through a ton of coaches since Urban.
Talent and budget at Florida >>>>>>ole miss. You can win a National title at Florida, probably can’t be done at ole miss. Pressure and douche fan base is much worse at Florida though.

Reactions: patdog and TheMSU15

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Spurrier definitely spoiled them, and Irvin Meyer did, too. They don’t tolerate losing now, even though it’s still relatively new to them compared to other big programs.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’d look for Lane to get offered the Florida job after Sunbelt Billy gets canned this year.
All depends on what OM does. If they make the playoff, they have a shot at keeping him. Choke and go 9-3, he may stay in Gainesville after they beat them the week before the Egg Bowl.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
i think the OP is just having a little fun, Sark's already been fired from USC once.
So was Petrino. But if he could guarantee the Pigs 9 wins a season, they’d have the contract signing at the Little Rock Harley Dealership this December.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
The SEC will be a bloodbath for coaches this year
Napier - gone
Pittman - gone
Beamer - gone
Venables - I got the odds 70/30 that he is gone. I wish I could imagine a world with Kiffin @ Oklahoma but No.
Lea - only survives because Vandy does not give a 17
Freeze - will be on the hot seat in 25 unless he wins 8

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
So was Petrino. But if he could guarantee the Pigs 9 wins a season, they’d have the contract signing at the Little Rock Harley Dealership this December.
Petrino without Jimbos horrible stench handcuffing him is a very good OC. If Their O line holds up he should put up some points this year.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Spurrier definitely spoiled them, and Irvin Meyer did, too. They don’t tolerate losing now, even though it’s still relatively new to them compared to other big programs.
Yeah, a lot of people forget that they were the last 'first time' school to win a National Championship back in 1996. Crazy that we haven't had a 'new' national champion in almost 30 years. (no, UCF and TCU don't count).

Reactions: MSUDOG24 and eckie1

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
What would Lincoln have to do to get fired after year 3? I don't see USC rehiring Sarkisian (or Kiffin, for that matter). I also don't see Kiffin ever coaching Texas A&M. It's not a good fit. Texas would be a much better fit for Kiffin, in my opinion.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I do not know who's going where but I would bet we are within a year of the first 15-20 mil/year college football coach. Money is getting bigger and bigger across the board.

edited to ad : if Kiffin has a big year....he may be the guy

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Florida is the most likely top-tier job to open up to. With their schedule, I'll be surprised if Napier wins enough games to keep his job.

Ryan Day is 56-8 (39-3) and on the hot seat. If he is fired after this year, that could kick off the carousel.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Matt Rhule (who has had 1 good impressive season in 11 years as a head coach) is fired after the 2025 season without having had a winning record at Nebraska. The next coach doesn't win much there either.

Reactions: patdog

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
^ This. Florida can pay well and they recruit well but that program is a dumpster fire. Their players have a history of intentionally tanking seasons when they get mad at the coach, and the fanbase is irrational.

I said in 2017 that Mullen would get run off by that fanbase within 4 years. His last season it was obvious he'd checked out.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The SEC will be a bloodbath for coaches this year
Napier - gone
Pittman - gone
Beamer - gone
Venables - I got the odds 70/30 that he is gone. I wish I could imagine a world with Kiffin @ Oklahoma but No.
Lea - only survives because Vandy does not give a 17
Freeze - will be on the hot seat in 25 unless he wins 8
I think you're right on Napier and Pittman. I think if Beamer gets them into a bowl, he stays. That being said, they have a tough schedule (LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Missouri, and Clemson), so they would have to beat a couple of teams they're not supposed to.

I would lower the odds on Venables being gone. He's beloved enough that they'll give him a second SEC year unless they just have some well known huge name rock star coach available that they can't pass up. They'll have a decent chance at being 10-2 or 9-3 this season. They'll beat Temple, Houston, Tulane, Auburn, South Carolina, and Maine, then get 3 or 4 of this group: Texas, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Missouri, Alabama, LSU. Now, if they get completely swept by that second set of teams, his seat will be hot. I think he survives, but it will be hot.

patdog

May 28, 2007
They’ve made several really bad hires. But you can win big at Florida.

patdog

May 28, 2007
All depends on what OM does. If they make the playoff, they have a shot at keeping him. Choke and go 9-3, he may stay in Gainesville after they beat them the week before the Egg Bowl.
If one of the really big programs is open, he’s going to try to get that job. But there’s very few of those. Same issue Dan Mullen had.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Now that NIL is here, you can absolutely win a title at Ole Miss. Their fan base has always excelled at finding ways to get money to players.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Now that NIL is here, you can absolutely win a title at Ole Miss. Their fan base has always excelled at finding ways to get money to players.
Going to have to prove it to me. Yeah there's more money and more shuffling, but I'm not convinced anything out of the ordinary is going to happen besides more parity, which is a good thing.

That said....if Ole Miss is as all in as I've heard, coupling that with good timing with a good coach, they certainly could bridge that gap, same as SMU did back in the day.

Reactions: Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007
No. You can’t. Their boosters can’t compete with Texas, A&M, UGA, Bama, Michigan, Ohio St etc. if anything their chances were probably better in the Freeze years when they could take bigger risks in blatantly cheating thsn a lot of the bigger schools did. But now that it’s all legal, their ceiling is a playoff appearance.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
No. You can’t. Their boosters can’t compete with Texas, A&M, UGA, Bama, Michigan, Ohio St etc. if anything their chances were probably better in the Freeze years when they could take bigger risks in blatantly cheating thsn a lot of the bigger schools did. But now that it’s all legal, their ceiling is a playoff appearance.
Yep its all relative. Nil frees up ole miss to spend, but they are a little fish compared to the big boys

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
A lot of it depends on intent. Just because everybody CAN outspend such and such theoretically, doesn't mean they absolutely will. Ole Miss is willing to do it. There's only so much talent, therefore only so much that the market commands.

Remember, SMU did this already. You get in the game, and hope a coach or a lucky player can carry you the rest of the way.

But at the end of the day, I do think the likes of Georgia, Texas and Ohio State can crush Ole Miss just in sheer numbers, whether it's overall talent or numbers of alumni donating, no matter how all-in they are.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
There's a large enough talent pool that the top 10 recruiting classes will see increased parity. I know things like endowment and athletic budget as well as alumni net worth are still a long way apart, but they can sneak in the playoff and be a dark horse and eventually win it.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
At this point he has 100% buy in from OM and can basically do whatever he wants. He’s also on a lot of school’s “Never Hire” lists so unfortunately I see him being at OM for the foreseeable future.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Arkansas hires Rhett Lashlee or GJ Kinne

Florida hires Jedd Fisch who is a one and done at Washington.

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023
Napier is getting another year if he can find a way to 6 wins. Every single media member that covers Florida has been shouting it from the rooftops. Its one of those weird deals where the perception from the outside is that his seat is burning up but people around the program say otherwise.

They can't stomach paying a $30 million dollar buyout with rev share right around the corner. They still blame Mullen for the roster Billy inherited. Napier has a 5 star freshman QB on campus that they fear will transfer if he is fired. They are going to be a solid team this year, its just whether he can find 6 with that schedule.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
The harder we suck the better their chances get because they will get a whole state to pick their talent from. We need to get our **** together.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login