Way too many people expect us to win tomorrow...

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
If you've been an MSU fan for any length of time, you know how this goes. We rarely beat the bigger schools when we expect to.

Most likely scenario is we lose tomorrow then beat UK and Ark when everyone has given up on the season.

Aug 25, 2012
If you've been an MSU fan for any length of time, you know how this goes. We rarely beat the bigger schools when we expect to.

Most likely scenario is we lose tomorrow then beat UK and Ark when everyone has given up on the season.
We really need Crumady back. But I heard that ain’t happening till bama

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

I'm thinking the exact opposite: We beat aTm, emotions go sky high, and then we lose to UK & Arkansas.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I don't see how anyone could watch us against LSU and then think A&M is an easy win.
I do worry that the LSU game may have tipped off some people when we had seemed to be doing much better against the "drop 8."

I haven't seen DB's jump our underneath crossing routes like LSU did in the entire time Leach has been here. Hopefully that's just a function of their superior athleticism and not something others can replicate.

Reactions: STATEgrad04

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I do worry that the LSU game may have tipped off some people when we had seemed to be doing much better against the "drop 8."

I haven't seen DB's jump our underneath crossing routes like LSU did in the entire time Leach has been here. Hopefully that's just a function of their superior athleticism and not something others can replicate.
Durkin is at A&M now and that's not a good thing. Last year they were so worried about the air raid that they sat back in zone and let us pick them apart. It will be a different story this year. Will can't hold onto the ball and he has to start taking some chances downfield.

Reactions: josebrown

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Durkin is at A&M now and that's not a good thing. Last year they were so worried about the air raid that they sat back in zone and let us pick them apart. It will be a different story this year. Will can't hold onto the ball and he has to start taking some chances downfield.
I hope we spent the week working on hot routes. LSU seemed like Will was committed to working through progressions regardless of level of pressure. Maybe they did a good job of disguising things pre-snap? I'm not well versed enough in football x's and o's to know that.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I hope we spent the week working on hot routes. LSU seemed like Will was committed to working through progressions regardless of level of pressure. Maybe they did a good job of disguising things pre-snap? I'm not well versed enough in football x's and o's to know that.
A big part of the problem in my opinion is that we are way too one-dimensional and predictable on offense.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
They’re extremely one dimensional on offense. The offense can’t disappear in chunks of the game like they did at lsu. I believe defense can hold them but they can’t be gassed because the offense has several 3 and outs in a row

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I am not totally sold on the idea that Durkin has us figured out. We had some pretty notable self inflicted wounds in the red zone in both of the last two Egg Bowls. Moved the ball fine in both games. Our biggest issue last year was Sam Williams totally embarrassing Lashley. Obviously if that happens tomorrow we are in trouble but I don’t know that Durkin has much to do with that.

Here’s the thing though, we can not have a great offensive game and still win tomorrow. A&M’s offense freaking sucks. Just don’t give them points via turnovers or special teams.

I could see this playing out like NC State last year. Our offense doesn’t have a great game but we do just enough and play good defense and come out on top.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
A big part of the problem in my opinion is that we are way too one-dimensional and predictable on offense.
The number of nearly intercepted screen passes recently has me a little worried about seeing one go the other way for 6. We definitely need to mix some things up because those dudes were jumping that route. I'm hopeful that we have installed an antidote for that problem at least.

Reactions: STATEgrad04

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I am not totally sold on the idea that Durkin has us figured out. We had some pretty notable self inflicted wounds in the red zone in both of the last two Egg Bowls. Moved the ball fine in both games. Our biggest issue last year was Sam Williams totally embarrassing Lashley. Obviously if that happens tomorrow we are in trouble but I don’t know that Durkin has much to do with that.

Here’s the thing though, we can not have a great offensive game and still win tomorrow. A&M’s offense freaking sucks. Just don’t give them points via turnovers or special teams.

I could see this playing out like NC State last year. Our offense doesn’t have a great game but we do just enough and play good defense and come out on top.
I wasn't saying that durkin has things totally figured out. I am saying he won't be one dimensional defensively like A&M was against us last year. He's known for mixing up coverages and blitzes, and we have typically not handled that well.

As for A&M's offense, yes, it has sucked. But it's much better with Johnson at QB than it was with King at QB.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Play To Win New York Jets GIF

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I don't see how anyone could watch us against LSU and then think A&M is an easy win.
Yep, That 2nd half against LSU is what S HI T tastes like. I'll need some mouthwash and ice cream before I think different.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Leads the league in 20+ yards downfield in multiple categories.

Most of the time he isn’t “holding the ball too long”. It’s normally a lack of talent on oline but hopefully they improve throughout the season.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I wasn't saying that durkin has things totally figured out. I am saying he won't be one dimensional defensively like A&M was against us last year. He's known for mixing up coverages and blitzes, and we have typically not handled that well.

As for A&M's offense, yes, it has sucked. But it's much better with Johnson at QB than it was with King at QB.
Is it? They have scored 17 and 23 points (with one of their scores being a fumble return) since Johnson took over at QB. And now they don’t have their best receiver anymore.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Have you actually sat and watched the A&M DBs? They are out of position and miss tackles all the time. Arky hit them with two big WR screens a la Tulu Griffin. They have been getting by on poor opponent QB play without getting a ton of pressure on them. The long haired safety has decent speed but he isn’t very good. They can play physical and beat blocks but they don’t tackle particularly well. If Rogers can stay clean he will torch them.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
My guess is they'll rush 3 all game and sub out players, daring us to run the ball. They'll run the ball 4 out of 5 plays. They win based on attrition just like LSU did in the 2nd half. If they keep pressure on Rogers all game that will be that.

I'm also suspicious that the sec refs will call back 1-2 big plays we have to kill momentum. If we had played an undefeated LSU or undefeated aTm they might let us win, just my opinion

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
My guess is they'll rush 3 all game and sub out players, daring us to run the ball. They'll run the ball 4 out of 5 plays. They win based on attrition just like LSU did in the 2nd half. If they keep pressure on Rogers all game that will be that.

I'm also suspicious that the sec refs will call back 1-2 big plays we have to kill momentum. If we had played an undefeated LSU or undefeated aTm they might let us win, just my opinion.
If that is the plan I don’t think it will work. I don’t think they can get consistent pressure rushing only three and State will run against that look. Our RBs are good enough to run against their LBs wether singled or doubled up. If they don’t get pressure they will not win. Their best bet is running their base 4-2 and take away the mesh. They will need 4 rushers on the regular.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Most of the time he isn’t “holding the ball too long”. It’s normally a lack of talent on oline but hopefully they improve throughout the season.
Set aside the ******** games. What are his stats against the only team we've played with a pulse on defense?

I'll wait.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004

Texas A&M just came off a huge emotional game against Arkansas. I expect State to win.

Sylvester_Creamy

Feb 6, 2019

Pretty impressive he can have such stellar stats and we still struggle to put 28 on the board. Makes a fella wonder….

Reactions: PBRME

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Taking chances downfield requires Will to hold onto the ball longer than usual. They will take shots, probably from their own 40 and/or the opponent thirty with Harvey, Walley, or Calvin on posts against the long haired safety. State’s receivers beat him multiple times last year.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

No he doesn't. His yards per are like one of the lowest in the SEC. It's 20 yrd TDs you're talking about and he's only got 1 TD at all in SEC play, along with one pick.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login