Wazzu athletics

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Remember my post in the hot take thread?

Mississippi State will not be playing at the top level of college football in the next 20 years, Might be closer to 10.

The transfer portal and NIL have destroyed college athletics. All of you in the "We need to pay the players" crowd helped destroy Mississippi State football.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Two questions:
1 - How the hell does Comcast overpay $50,000,000 over 10 years and no one noticed until now?
2 - How are universities everywhere overcharging their athletic depts for scholarships? You'd think they'd just charge straight tuition and fees per the university fee schedule.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

Mississippi State will not be playing at the top level of college football in the next 20 years, Might be closer to 10.

The transfer portal and NIL have destroyed college athletics. All of you in the "We need to pay the players" crowd helped destroy Mississippi State football.

It’s been basically dead for a while now. I will always watch and support MSU but I don’t really care about the sport from a national perspective like I once did. The NFL is far more compelling nowadays, and I never thought I’d say that 10 years ago.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

Everyone but the players were getting paid. Some got massive amounts of money. I'm pretty sure it's not the opinions of some message board peeps who helped destroy State football. It's the massive amount of money generated by and spent on amateur athletics that did it and the limited amount of NIL generated by MS State. This is America. Wealth matters. And there's that 9-0 Supreme Court decision that ruled in favor of athletes, something that likely had a bigger impact than sixpack posters.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Fortunately we are in the SEC with generous revenue sharing, the bottom half of the league is just filler for the top half. I dislike Saban as much as the next guy, but I realize he's made us and the rest of the conference a shite pile of money.

Reactions: Dawgg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Fortunately we are in the SEC with generous revenue sharing, the bottom half of the league is just filler for the top half. I dislike Saban as much as the next guy, but I realize he's made us and the rest of the conference a shite pile of money.

Thank the gods for Saban, because nobody in the South gave a **** about college football or sports before he found his way to the SEC.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Everyone but the players were getting paid. Some got massive amounts of money. I'm pretty sure it's not the opinions of some message board peeps who helped destroy State football. It's the massive amount of money generated by and spent on amateur athletics that did it and the limited amount of NIL generated by MS State. This is America. Wealth matters. And there's that 9-0 Supreme Court decision that ruled in favor of athletes, something that likely had a bigger impact than sixpack posters.
Yep and there's a recent NLRB complaint that very well could mess things up even more for the NCAA...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
17 y’all. College football was great until Saban got to Alabama. It’s been a slow decline since then.

the BCS was fine….until Saban ruined it in 2011, prompting the playoff. His salary and his ‘processing’ also is what caused the hikes into the stratosphere, ultimately prompting NIL and the portal.

17 Saban. He is no hero. I admire his domination but he cared nothing about the sport’s health as a whole, only him and his money/program. He earned his money. But he left the sport worse than he found it.

I just hope the bigger playoff can maybe restore some interest.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
17 y’all. College football was great until Saban got to Alabama. It’s been a slow decline since then.

the BCS was fine….until Saban ruined it in 2011, prompting the playoff. His salary and his ‘processing’ also is what caused the hikes into the stratosphere, ultimately prompting NIL and the portal.

17 Saban. He is no hero. I admire his domination but he cared nothing about the sport’s health as a whole, only him and his money/program. He earned his money. But he left the sport worse than he found it.

I just hope the bigger playoff can maybe restore some interest.

I think your reading comprehension needs some work. No one stated Saban was a hero, I even stated I dislike him as much as anyone. No one made a claim he was good for the game as a whole, only that he has made us and the SEC a shite ton of money.

Reactions: Dawgg and Motodawg

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I just wanted to throw my .02 cents in on this again..... the value is in the brands, the University name, logos on the Helmet. Not the players.

Bryce Young doesn't get a subway commercial or even a number 1 pick if he doesn't play for a blue blood.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The whole objective of the portal and NIL is to destroy bigtime college sports. That's what the real players in the drive to implement it were after. The players didn't know any better and went along with it out of short term self interest. Those that did know better fought against it and lost. It was fun while it lasted.

Reactions: patdog

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Does Larry Scott go down as the worst commissioner in the history of college athletics? He practically decimated the PAC 12

Reactions: patdog

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
The whole objective of the portal and NIL is to destroy bigtime college sports. That's what the real players in the drive to implement it were after. The players didn't know any better and went along with it out of short term self interest. Those that did know better fought against it and lost. It was fun while it lasted.
This is just a completely a nonsensical thing to say. But finish your thought here... Who specifically do you think wants to destroy college sports? And why do they want to destroy college sports?

The whole objective of the portal and NIL is to give the players - the ones who actually perform - a fairer piece of what has turned out to be a giant pie. There's no reason coaches should be making millions and administrators making hundreds of thousands while the players who do the actual physical work have to make due with a scholarship, room and board. And in the case of the portal, the goal has been to give players some of the same freedom of movement that coaches already have. Those two things - being paid fairly for your work and the ability to change "jobs" are part of Capitalism 101.

I just wanted to throw my .02 cents in on this again..... the value is in the brands, the University name, logos on the Helmet. Not the players.

Bryce Young doesn't get a subway commercial or even a number 1 pick if he doesn't play for a blue blood.
I don't necessarily disagree with this. As an example, Dak is a great player, seemingly a great person and a terrific representative of the university I love. But I was a Mississippi State fan before he showed up and I was a Mississippi State fan after he left.

That said, the value isn't entirely with the schools. If there aren't players playing every year, that logo and university name don't mean squat. It's like saying the value is in the McDonald's golden arches, not in the employees who work at the restaurants.

Dak unquestionably raised the profile of Mississippi State while he was here. And players do deserve to be compensated for the work they put in (especially relative to what coaches are already making).

Other people have said this better than me, but it just shows that the NCAA (and really, the schools who make up the NCAA) should have acted on this issue years ago instead of sticking their collective head in the sand and hoping it would all blow over. They could have gotten in front of it and set up a manageable framework for NIL. But because they didn't and because of the courts, they're hopelessly behind and playing catchup.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
All of you in the "We need to pay the players" crowd helped destroy Mississippi State football.

Fixed it, not just MSU football but across the country. I don't think it will take even 10 years as someone else said. Fan interest in being on campus is way down and tumbling every year. When fans don't engage on campus they aren't going to engage with their pocket books either i.e. tickets, parking passes, hotels, restaurants, fuel, fan wearables (The Lodge, Campus Bookmart, Adidas, etc), Bulldog Club donations i.e. scholarships and NIL. They'll stay at home and watch on tv and find something else to spend their disposable $$$ on instead of football.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

I would agree with you there but we don't play at the top level of college football today and never have. We are a perenial bowl team and happy to be getting that SEC check for when our SEC brethren with 5x the population and 10x the budget beat us up with better players. We go to a bowl and every blue moon we upset one of the big boys. I think it is just accepting your fate.

Georgia, Bama, LSU, aTm, Tenn, Texas, Oklahoma will pump in more cash than we ever will for players and facilities. Then you have Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, Miss State and Ole Miss. Finally rounding up the pack is Vandy and Missouri.

The only thing that changes this is to grow up and be like the NFL. Draft, salary caps, all of it. Until then it is just an arms race to whoever wants to spend enough to buy a championship. Right now that is Georgia.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The overpayments from Comcast are the cause of all this. The decline in Pac12 revenue was caused when they cancelled the 2020 season and subscribers cancelled their sports packages. Ouch
Can't opt out of the SEC network without opting out of ESPN altogether. And you cannot easily get a TV package today from anyone without ESPN being in the base package.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Feb 18, 2014

Why should athletes not be able to use their name image and likeness to make money? There is nothing wrong with that. Go do a commercial. Charge for autographs. whatever. However, what is happening now is not NIL. It is glorified pay for play and needs oversight. Will that happen? I doubt it.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

So liberal ideology destroyed another product that needed to be left alone? What a surprise

Reactions: blacklistedbully

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
This is just a completely a nonsensical thing to say. But finish your thought here... Who specifically do you think wants to destroy college sports? And why do they want to destroy college sports?

The whole objective of the portal and NIL is to give the players - the ones who actually perform - a fairer piece of what has turned out to be a giant pie. There's no reason coaches should be making millions and administrators making hundreds of thousands while the players who do the actual physical work have to make due with a scholarship, room and board. And in the case of the portal, the goal has been to give players some of the same freedom of movement that coaches already have. Those two things - being paid fairly for your work and the ability to change "jobs" are part of Capitalism 101.

I don't necessarily disagree with this. As an example, Dak is a great player, seemingly a great person and a terrific representative of the university I love. But I was a Mississippi State fan before he showed up and I was a Mississippi State fan after he left.

That said, the value isn't entirely with the schools. If there aren't players playing every year, that logo and university name don't mean squat. It's like saying the value is in the McDonald's golden arches, not in the employees who work at the restaurants.

Dak unquestionably raised the profile of Mississippi State while he was here. And players do deserve to be compensated for the work they put in (especially relative to what coaches are already making).

Other people have said this better than me, but it just shows that the NCAA (and really, the schools who make up the NCAA) should have acted on this issue years ago instead of sticking their collective head in the sand and hoping it would all blow over. They could have gotten in front of it and set up a manageable framework for NIL. But because they didn't and because of the courts, they're hopelessly behind and playing catchup.
The people who were pushing this stuff. They could not have come up with a better way to do it. This way very few will care when it finally dies.

Reactions: blacklistedbully

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Does Larry Scott go down as the worst commissioner in the history of college athletics? He practically decimated the PAC 12
It's funny because 13 years ago, when he came within an eyelash of getting the upper half of the Big 12 to move to the Pac-10, he was seen as a visionary and a genius. Now, looking back, he kind of lit the fuse that blew up the dynamite under his feet.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I would agree with you there but we don't play at the top level of college football today and never have. We are a perenial bowl team and happy to be getting that SEC check for when our SEC brethren with 5x the population and 10x the budget beat us up with better players. We go to a bowl and every blue moon we upset one of the big boys. I think it is just accepting your fate.

Georgia, Bama, LSU, aTm, Tenn, Texas, Oklahoma will pump in more cash than we ever will for players and facilities. Then you have Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, Miss State and Ole Miss. Finally rounding up the pack is Vandy and Missouri.

The only thing that changes this is to grow up and be like the NFL. Draft, salary caps, all of it. Until then it is just an arms race to whoever wants to spend enough to buy a championship. Right now that is Georgia.
When you look at college football as a whole (Power 2, Middle 3, Group of 5, FCS, Division II, Division III), out of the hundreds of teams that field a college football team, Mississippi State 100% plays at the top level of college football.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I would agree with you there but we don't play at the top level of college football today and never have.

When you look at college football as a whole (Power 2, Middle 3, Group of 5, FCS, Division II, Division III), out of the hundreds of teams that field a college football team, Mississippi State 100% plays at the top level of college football.

I think onewoof is saying that even though MSU is in a top level league, the Bulldogs are not a top level team.

Reactions: onewoof

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think onewoof is saying that even though MSU is in a top level league, the Bulldogs are not a top level team.
I would still say that's a matter of perspective and in what percentage you consider 'top level'. Top 1%? Top 10%? Top 25%?

If we're talking only SEC and Big Ten or even the current "Power 5", no, we're not a top level team by any stretch.
If we're talking all 133 teams of FBS, I would say we're in the top 25% of programs (which would be anything above the 34th program).
If we include the 128 teams of FCS, I would say we're in the top 10-15%.
If we include the 164 teams of Division II, I would say we're easily in the top 10%.
If we include the 238 teams of Division III, I would say we're easily in the top 5%.

So, I think it depends on how you define "college football" and "top level".

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
yes but you still will not be able to get a basic TV package without ESPN and SEC Network so most everyone will still have it if they have TV.
I don't know what you are including in "Basic TV Package" but my mother in law has a "Basic Cable Package" from MaxxSouth that has 19 channels that include all the networks and their sub channels, some shopping channels, several CSPANs, PBS, and some preachers but no sports. I think its about $30 maybe

These two streaming services below don't have ESPN now. Add an antenna for the locals to the two packages below and depending on where you live and how many antenna channels you get that would take care of a lot. At my place out by the reservoir in Rankin County I probably get 25-30 channels or more w/ antenna and in Starkville about 12-15 w/ all the networks.

Frndly TV (40 channels $6.99) doesn't have it.

Philo TV (70+ live channels $25) doesn't have it.

No way to meet everybody's needs though w/out a big package and its all going to depend on how much ESPN wants to charge for their stand alone service as to whether it will make sense to have a "basic" service plus the ESPN package or not.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
The people who were pushing this stuff. They could not have come up with a better way to do it. This way very few will care when it finally dies.
You didn't really answer my question... Who are the actual people "pushing this stuff?" Why do they want college sports to die? What do they get out it if college sports does die? What's the actual end goal?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

You didn't really answer my question... Who are the actual people "pushing this stuff?" Why do they want college sports to die? What do they get out it if college sports does die? What's the actual end goal?

What I'm visualizing here...

L4:
Cool Hand Luke Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

FQ:
Animated GIF

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
College football hasn't been destroyed by the NIL. State and some schools aren't doing well right now but that may change. Thanks to ESPN and big money, most people can now watch more college football than ever before. State just needs to figure out a way to take advantage of the new system. Maybe pay coaches less and spend more money on players. Schedule some other schools we can beat. I think, though, if Ole Miss jumps way ahead of State, that school has more money, then we have a major problem. Not that I think comparisons to Ole Miss matter more than anything, but it matters. It does appear that young Americans are less interested in college and pro sports than the previous generation.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I don't know what you are including in "Basic TV Package" but my mother in law has a "Basic Cable Package" from MaxxSouth that has 19 channels that include all the networks and their sub channels, some shopping channels, several CSPANs, PBS, and some preachers but no sports. I think its about $30 maybe

These two streaming services below don't have ESPN now. Add an antenna for the locals to the two packages below and depending on where you live and how many antenna channels you get that would take care of a lot. At my place out by the reservoir in Rankin County I probably get 25-30 channels or more w/ antenna and in Starkville about 12-15 w/ all the networks.

Frndly TV (40 channels $6.99) doesn't have it.

Philo TV (70+ live channels $25) doesn't have it.

No way to meet everybody's needs though w/out a big package and its all going to depend on how much ESPN wants to charge for their stand alone service as to whether it will make sense to have a "basic" service plus the ESPN package or not.
ESPN has over 80M monthly subscribers in the US that are spread across Comcast, Charter Spectrum, UVerse, Dish Network, Hulu, Verizon FiOS and the smaller TV providers. Over 90% of TV customers have the basic TV package that includes ESPN (not the limited basic plan).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login