Wazzu athletics

patdog

May 28, 2007
That’ll teach me to at least quickly verify a thought I had… I figured Arizona, Washington and Colorado had populations more in line with Georgia.
Once you get outside the major metropolitan areas, the population density out there is very low. Much lower than the rural southeast.

Reactions: ronpolk

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I understand subscribers and potential tv screens are a big deal… but if the amount of people viewing didn’t matter, why can’t the pac 12 get a decent tv contract right now? Still a ton of subscribers, population and big schools without the 2 Los Angeles schools. I believe Birmingham has more viewers of college football than phoenix, Seattle and LA combined.
Birmingham is the number one college football tv market in the country. It's not just about population.

HuskyBDawg

Nov 26, 2017
With PAC-12 traditionally playing a lot of night games and the time zone, it's just too late for most East and Central zone viewers. And that's 77% of the US population. Plus, without USC and UCLA, what compelling teams are there? Washington, Oregon and Stanford is about it, and they're 2nd tier at best.
Patdog, I like you as a poster, but this post has stuck in my craw for a few days. The University of Washington Huskies are not 2nd tier at best. UW was ranked #11 in the last AP poll, with a record of 11-2. The Dawgs participated in the 2016 CFP. They are projected at #12 in the pre season ESPN poll.

As of September 12, 2022, UW had 30 players on NFL rosters, ranking the Dawgs at #12.

Here is ESPN's list of UW players in the NFL:

UW shared a National Championship in 1991 with Miami. Had they not, I probably would have gone to grad school at Vanderbilt. (Maybe I had just been beaten down too long as a Mississippian / MSU fan and needed to be associated with a winner.)

The PAC has been screwed over by mismanagement. You can get Fox Sports for the big games and PAC 12 Network for the rest, but they don't reside on the same package. When UW gets a good time slot with exposure, football fans do watch. In my time here, UW has played Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and LSU. Ohio State is upcoming.

The USC / UCLA move to the BIG is a head scratcher. Regardless, I promise you that the fans of the purple dawgs are many and we are intense. The University of Washington is not second tier in anything. Neither is Mississippi State.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Patdog, I like you as a poster, but this post has stuck in my craw for a few days. The University of Washington Huskies are not 2nd tier at best. UW was ranked #11 in the last AP poll, with a record of 11-2. The Dawgs participated in the 2016 CFP. They are projected at #12 in the pre season ESPN poll.

As of September 12, 2022, UW had 30 players on NFL rosters, ranking the Dawgs at #12.

UW shared a National Championship in 1991 with Miami. Had they not, I probably would have gone to grad school at Vanderbilt. (Maybe I had just been beaten down too long as a Mississippian / MSU fan and needed to be associated with a winner.)

The PAC has been screwed over by mismanagement. You can get Fox Sports for the big games and PAC 12 Network for the rest, but they don't reside on the same package. When UW gets a good time slot with exposure, football fans do watch. In my time here, UW has played Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and LSU. Ohio State is upcoming.

The USC / UCLA move to the BIG is a head scratcher. Regardless, I promise you that the fans of the purple dawgs are many and we are intense. The University of Washington is not second tier in anything. Neither is Mississippi State.
Sorry. I didn't mean it to seem as harsh as it came across. All 3 of those are great schools with great athletic programs and are nationally known. Just meant none are on the same tier as a Southern Cal or Texas as far as moving the needle on a media rights contract. The conferences have gotten so bloated and the rights deals so big, it's getting almost impossible to add anyone who can generate additional revenue. Even adding Texas and Oklahoma, the SEC is still having trouble getting ESPN to do anything more than increase the deal pro rata, which would leave the existing 14 teams with no more than what they had before.

HuskyBDawg

Nov 26, 2017
Sorry. I didn't mean it to seem as harsh as it came across. All 3 of those are great schools with great athletic programs and are nationally known. Just meant none are on the same tier as a Southern Cal or Texas as far as moving the needle on a media rights contract. The conferences have gotten so bloated and the rights deals so big, it's getting almost impossible to add anyone who can generate additional revenue. Even adding Texas and Oklahoma, the SEC is still having trouble getting ESPN to do anything more than increase the deal pro rata, which would leave the existing 14 teams with no more than what they had before.
Just like MSU fans hate Alabama, UW fans hate USC (we hate the Oregon Ducks more).

What has USC done lately? Let's recap. They gave us OJ. They sent Lane Kiffin packing before he could get off the runway. They stole Sark from us, then found out that he could pound more drinks than me on a bad night. They got punked by the lady from the Bob Saget sitcom and the lady from Desperate Houswives.

Ya'll are living in the past glories of the LA schools. Who the 17 cares about USC? The SEC rules the roost, but we do love college football in Seattle. Even the Cougs and the Beavers love the game. Just because ya'll have gone to sleep before we kickoff doesn't mean that we don't love college football.

• Haha
Reactions: GomJabbar

HuskyBDawg

Nov 26, 2017
Just as a side note, long time Huskies fans do know that Mississippi State beat them here in 1977 (27-18). UW is off in a far corner of the US. Nonetheless, there are many intelligent football fans. The Seahawks are raucous and appreciate the Mississippians on their roster.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Just as a side note, long time Huskies fans do know that Mississippi State beat them here in 1977 (27-18). UW is off in a far corner of the US. Nonetheless, there are many intelligent football fans. The Seahawks are raucous and appreciate the Mississippians on their roster.
I remember those old Don James teams. That team that lost to MSU was quarterbacked by Warren Moon and won the PAC-8 and the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: HuskyBDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I've tried to read this entire thread about the NIL and made several great arguments.

I prefer to use a simpler opinion. I brought it up somewhere along the line back when this first started, share fort, or the lack of any kind of regulations. Allow the schools come up with their own packages for athletes. Six-figure college players making commercials...

I think it's pretty simple to see the way it's put together right now is inviting a lot of problems. The biggest problem I have with it all is the more you have involved money in any process in this country, the more you're inviting nefarious activities. I'm not talking about her enough money, but what these kids do that money could be a problem. Of course I could be wrong and they will all act like nice little schoolboys and spend their money wisely and for really good things.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
17 y’all. College football was great until Saban got to Alabama. It’s been a slow decline since then.

the BCS was fine….until Saban ruined it in 2011, prompting the playoff. His salary and his ‘processing’ also is what caused the hikes into the stratosphere, ultimately prompting NIL and the portal.

17 Saban. He is no hero. I admire his domination but he cared nothing about the sport’s health as a whole, only him and his money/program. He earned his money. But he left the sport worse than he found it.

I just hope the bigger playoff can maybe restore some interest.
I said when he signed with Alabama that it was the demise of college football. His Fortune magazine article was the tipoff. State and other programs are just fodder for the self appointed king of the SEC. His attitude toward us, "STFU and take your cut and be happy with it." Losing to us and ULM was equivalent to Pearl Harbor.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

It’s all a matter of perspective. If you look at all of college football, sure, Washington, along with Mississippi State, is in the top tier.

However, if we’re talking about big money Power 5 football, Washington’s not Alabama or Georgia or Ohio State or USC or Notre Dame.

I mean… Colorado has a national championship in the 90’s too, but nobody outside of the Rocky Mountains is going to try to say that’s a tier 1 program.

Washington has a FANTASTIC program, but it’s firmly on that second line of great programs.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s all a matter of perspective. If you look at all of college football, sure, Washington, along with Mississippi State, is in the top tier.

However, if we’re talking about big money Power 5 football, Washington’s not Alabama or Georgia or Ohio State or USC or Notre Dame.

I mean… Colorado has a national championship in the 90’s too, but nobody outside of the Rocky Mountains is going to try to say that’s a tier 1 program.

Washington has a FANTASTIC program, but it’s firmly on that second line of great programs.
Exactly. And it's not helped by the fact it's more than 1,000 miles away from any top tier program. There's a good argument the Big 10 should have added USC and Washington. They're a much better program than UCLA. But that would have left USC stranded. Heck, Lincoln, Nebraska isn't that much further from Los Angeles than Seattle is.

Reactions: Dawgg

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
This is just a completely a nonsensical thing to say. But finish your thought here... Who specifically do you think wants to destroy college sports? And why do they want to destroy college sports?

The whole objective of the portal and NIL is to give the players - the ones who actually perform - a fairer piece of what has turned out to be a giant pie. There's no reason coaches should be making millions and administrators making hundreds of thousands while the players who do the actual physical work have to make due with a scholarship, room and board. And in the case of the portal, the goal has been to give players some of the same freedom of movement that coaches already have. Those two things - being paid fairly for your work and the ability to change "jobs" are part of Capitalism 101.

I don't necessarily disagree with this. As an example, Dak is a great player, seemingly a great person and a terrific representative of the university I love. But I was a Mississippi State fan before he showed up and I was a Mississippi State fan after he left.

That said, the value isn't entirely with the schools. If there aren't players playing every year, that logo and university name don't mean squat. It's like saying the value is in the McDonald's golden arches, not in the employees who work at the restaurants.

Dak unquestionably raised the profile of Mississippi State while he was here. And players do deserve to be compensated for the work they put in (especially relative to what coaches are already making).

Other people have said this better than me, but it just shows that the NCAA (and really, the schools who make up the NCAA) should have acted on this issue years ago instead of sticking their collective head in the sand and hoping it would all blow over. They could have gotten in front of it and set up a manageable framework for NIL. But because they didn't and because of the courts, they're hopelessly behind and playing catchup.
They still aren't getting a piece of the pie. They are getting paid by fans. If we could give them a piece of this so called pie then it would actually be better for us. But we cant use money from the TV deals and such. That's why I say they still aren't really getting any pie. This is why it's broken.

HuskyBDawg

Nov 26, 2017
Exactly. And it's not helped by the fact it's more than 1,000 miles away from any top tier program. There's a good argument the Big 10 should have added USC and Washington. They're a much better program than UCLA. But that would have left USC stranded. Heck, Lincoln, Nebraska isn't that much further from Los Angeles than Seattle is.

You're definitely right that UW's location has an impact on the football program. The team relies heavily on California talent. UW likes to have games against the LA teams for recruiting purposes. I wish that the BIG had left USC and UCLA alone and that the PAC had done a better job of positioning itself. Maybe it's a personal bias, but I don't hold USC in the same regard as others do.

Some consider Oregon to be a major player in college football, and they're about the same distance from Seattle as Baton Rouge is from Starkville.

The way that money is influencing the sport is changing the landscape. It's not clear who wants what and where it's going to end up. I doubt that UW is going to get into the level of spending that Georgia or Alabama do. Alabama stands alone in terms of college football success. Will it be possible for the Texas A&M's to spend their way to championships?

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login