We all know the small group of teams competing for the football NC

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Wouldn't we be better served putting our money into other sports and admitting that the BIG $$$$ Alabama's of the football world have captured the sport?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Wouldn't we be better served putting our money into other sports and admitting that the BIG $$$$ Alabama's of the football world have captured the sport?
If you give up on football the athletic giving would suffer. Football is king.

The blue bloods have basketball tied down so then that leaves baseball which is just a niche sport.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
If you give up on football the athletic giving would suffer. Football is king.

The blue bloods have basketball tied down so then that leaves baseball which is just a niche sport.

Exactly. There is almost no parity in CBK. The tourney creates a mirage of parity. Thats why going to 12 CFP teams was a really good move for CFB.

Also football pays for us to try to be good in other sports and is the biggest new student attraction on campus

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
IMO the key to us being competitive in football now more than ever is having a SMART coach who understands where we are, our limitations and how to make the most of the limited resources and potential we'll have going forward if things remain the same. I.E. if we are fortunate enough to find that coach, find a way to keep him.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
There are only two sports that really matter. Football and men's basketball. Basketball would be easier for us to compete in in that if you get the right coach, you can make noise with just a star and good roll players and coaching. But good luck getting that right coach. A lot of the coaches that look good at mid majors can't recreate when they move up. And unfortunately our natural recruiting grounds don't generate a lot of polished players. So I don't think competing in basketball is just a matter of us devoting resources to it.

That said, we appear to have a really good basketball coach right now. I think it would definitely be a good investment for us to spend some NIL money in basketball to make sure he has the pieces he needs. I don't think he needs stars or anything to make noise in the tournament. But we've got to give him enough help to do better than we're doing right now.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
IMO the key to us being competitive in football now more than ever is having a SMART coach who understands where we are, our limitations and how to make the most of the limited resources and potential we'll have going forward if things remain the same. I.E. if we are fortunate enough to find that coach, find a way to keep him.
Hummmm.....we had one that fit that, and we kept him longer than we do most coaches. He remains the only one in my 50+ years that left us for a better job.

Reactions: Villagedawg

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
I know small colleges who shut down their football team and folded soon afterward. Football is king. It’s ludicrous to even suggest that we quit playing football. Alabama’s time is coming. St. Nick will retire one day and still they will be good, but “ we will fight them on the beaches…”. You know the drill. Hail State!

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
never give up GIF

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
The other sports can’t be competitive without commitment to football. Most of the small businesses in town can’t exist without commitment to football.
I'm not saying quit fielding a team. I'm saying just get players that don't command a lot of NIL and use the NIL to get high profile basketball, baseball, women's basketball, soccer and softball players. Basketball only requires you have a couple of top 40 athletes.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I know small colleges who shut down their football team and folded soon afterward. Football is king. It’s ludicrous to even suggest that we quit playing football. Alabama’s time is coming. St. Nick will retire one day and still they will be good, but “ we will fight them on the beaches…”. You know the drill. Hail State!
Where did I say quit playing football????

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
There will never be parity until the referees are held accountable. The SEC will never do anything but a south park "we're sawwry" so the State will have to step in and create and oversight organization with the power to suspend and ban referees from performing within the State if they have, in this case, too many missed calls like alabama holding or LSU unsportsman like conduct.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Exactly. There is almost no parity in CBK. The tourney creates a mirage of parity. Thats why going to 12 CFP teams was a really good move for CFB.

Also football pays for us to try to be good in other sports and is the biggest new student attraction on campus
There have been 16 different national champions in basketball since 1994. That’s as far as I went back.

3 of the last 4 aren’t blue bloods. If they are, then there are a lot more blue bloods in basketball than football which is basically the definition of parity.

you also can’t compare basketball playoffs to football playoffs. Completely different.

Adding 12 teams isn’t helping msu or any similar school win a natty. It might get us more money but that isn’t gonna catch us up to the blue bloods of football.

if you want parity in football, you have to do something with the way players make it to schools. Limit scholarships, create a draft, salary cap, etc. I am not saying it’s one of those or all of those or any of those but the pre nil and post nil hasn’t changed much.

the only thing nil might help is the fact that schools that are wealthy can pay players to come. But the open transfer portal negates that. Get paid at aTm then get paid again at Bama.

Actually the solution might be NIL but you can only transfer once AND you have to sit out a year. That would be a decent start anyways.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agree. We can't out-Alabama Alabama. Been saying this for years.

1) Strategic use of NIL/under table money for high level defensive recruits and to retain superstar upperclassmen;
2) Keep the defense strong and run an offensive 'system' that can be suited to our typical players and eventually be plug/play;
3) Specific recruiting strategies (recruit MS mainly, JUCOs, transfers from blue bloods, etc.).

Obviously there's some wiggle room in there but if we pick certain lanes and do that, we can build. Do we have to have an ACTUAL system for offense? No, but we must innovate there. If that means we go find the best G5/FCS OC there is each year or two, so be it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
There will never be parity until the referees are held accountable. The SEC will never do anything but a south park "we're sawwry" so the State will have to step in and create and oversight organization with the power to suspend and ban referees from performing within the State if they have, in this case, too many missed calls like alabama holding or LSU unsportsman like conduct.
Referees aren’t why there isn’t parity. It doesn’t help but there can be parity with $hltty biased refereeing.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I hear and agree! However, the SEC won't allow anyone outside to tinker with their officiating. The SEC is first and foremost a money making organization. They share the wealth with the member schools and know where their bread is buttered. Their goal is to get the best TV contract and give the sponsors what they want which is high profile games. They get that with UK in basketball and Alabama in football. They may say they are sorry but what they really mean is, "Shut up and don't bite the hand that feeds you!" Remember Jackie getting a 2 game suspension for sending video evidence of Alabama holding during a game and it not being called? They are NOT interested in a level playing field.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There are only two sports that really matter. Football and men's basketball. Basketball would be easier for us to compete in in that if you get the right coach, you can make noise with just a star and good roll players and coaching. But good luck getting that right coach. A lot of the coaches that look good at mid majors can't recreate when they move up. And unfortunately our natural recruiting grounds don't generate a lot of polished players. So I don't think competing in basketball is just a matter of us devoting resources to it.

That said, we appear to have a really good basketball coach right now. I think it would definitely be a good investment for us to spend some NIL money in basketball to make sure he has the pieces he needs. I don't think he needs stars or anything to make noise in the tournament. But we've got to give him enough help to do better than we're doing right now.
You definitely can make money in basketball. But I question if we have the fan commitment to truly make that be our 'investment' sport. We may not have an super great basketball culture, but we also don't have an absence of one. It's also tough for our fanbase to continually show up for preseason and weekday games. So I think we have to be satisfied with a middling level or up and down type program.

On the other hand, we can certainly show up for 7 weekend football games. I think there's your answer.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
This BS with the SEC referees protecting Alabama has been going on at least back to 1963. That’s the first time I saw them literally steal a game from us. Over the years it has happened over and over and over. It’s not normally as obvious as the Calvin Ridley episode. Normally it’s death by a thousand cuts. If you have a good play and the score is close, start looking for yellow on the field. If you will notice, any holding or interference penalties on them always occur after the score has gotten to the point where the outcome has been determined. They can say, see Alabama got called for holding too. Just that they finally call it when it no longer matters. As long as Alabama is in the SEC I don’t think anything will change. I consider our annual contest with Alabama to be a “show” and not a “game”. There are approximately 50 SEC football referees and over half of them are reportedly from the State of Alabama.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
We struggle every year to be the 64th best men’s basketball team in the nation and most years can’t even do that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There have been 16 different national champions in basketball since 1994. That’s as far as I went back.

3 of the last 4 aren’t blue bloods. If they are, then there are a lot more blue bloods in basketball than football which is basically the definition of parity.

you also can’t compare basketball playoffs to football playoffs. Completely different.

Adding 12 teams isn’t helping msu or any similar school win a natty. It might get us more money but that isn’t gonna catch us up to the blue bloods of football.
He didn't say help win a natty. He said it gives you the mirage of parity. Which is what keeps fans engaged. And I'm OK with that. Just give a little hope for a freak run.

10 football teams have won a title in the last 20 years. 12 basketball teams have won a title (and I used 2002 for basketball since we didn't have one in 2020). And that was during the most dominant run of a program since the 70s. Sounds like it's equally hard to win a basketball title.

Funny thing is, baseball has only had 15 different winners in 20 years. If we consider how many teams there are, water gets murkier. Do you truly have a better shot in baseball, and is our view blurred by the fact that we are kind of a 'have' program? Maybe, but the resources are just so constrained in football, and that's what makes the difference.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
We struggle every year to be the 64th best men’s basketball team in the nation and most years can’t even do that.
"That isnt how this works. Its not how any of this works."

- there are more than 64 teams in the tournament.
- we can be the 45th best team and not make the tournament.

Just clarifying.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

Just clarifying.
I hate that term too. It’s not the 68 best teams in the tournament.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Possible reason basketball also feels more like it has more parity: in the same timeframe mentioned above, 24 different teams have played for the title (hand count on an iPhone) vs 15 in football.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

if you want parity in football, you have to do something with the way players make it to schools. Limit scholarships, create a draft, salary cap, etc. I am not saying it’s one of those or all of those or any of those but the pre nil and post nil hasn’t changed much.

the only thing nil might help is the fact that schools that are wealthy can pay players to come. But the open transfer portal negates that. Get paid at aTm then get paid again at Bama.

Actually the solution might be NIL but you can only transfer once AND you have to sit out a year. That would be a decent start anyways.

There have been 15 in football since that time. So it’s roughly the same even though basketball has far more teams competing. Call them what you want in hopps but the list over time is a whos who of hoops. You have a Baylor blip on the radar. You could argue Virginia is an outlier. Villanova has 3 national titles at this point.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Possible reason basketball also feels more like it has more parity: in the same timeframe mentioned above, 24 different teams have played for the title (hand count on an iPhone) vs 15 in football.
That's a good nugget of info. But, that may also be because of a wider tournament. Football has been much more exclusive, with the BCS/4-teamer.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
So throw more money at it! Get two of the top 40 players each year and a top 5 every other year. Things will change!

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

Just clarifying.
Yep, with conference tie ins you have to be better than 40 to get in.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’ve always thought MSU (and Ole Miss) should invest (somehow) in Jackson basketball. I have some direct experience with it, due to my own kid. Talent is there, just needs to be developed. The city is hugely underrated.

And it’s not like these guys end up playing football. They end up doing NOTHING.

Baseball development is maxed out in MS. Football is raw. Basketball is untouched.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I’ve always thought MSU (and Ole Miss) should invest (somehow) in Jackson basketball. I have some direct experience with it, due to my own kid. Talent is there, just needs to be developed. The city is hugely underrated.

And it’s not like these guys end up playing football. They end up doing NOTHING.

Baseball development is maxed out in MS. Football is raw. Basketball is untouched.
It seems like over the last 20 years, not many players from Jackson have gone elsewhere(outside of MSU or OM) and been a star. Maybe I've missed em?

Charles Thomas at Arkansas was pretty solid.
LaQuinton Ross was solid at tOSU, but also didn't even play in Jackson for a few years.

Can't think of better that got away over the last couple decades.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
This argument has been brought up before and it gets more idiotic as time goes on

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015

I mean, just last year a school called St. Peter’s made the Elite Eight. I think there’s a good bit more parity in basketball than football.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I mean, just last year a school called St. Peter’s made the Elite Eight. I think there’s a good bit more parity in basketball than football.

And TCU made the CFP title game. We are talking about winning it. And St Peters making the elite 8 makes my point. It’s a mirage.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It seems like over the last 20 years, not many players from Jackson have gone elsewhere(outside of MSU or OM) and been a star. Maybe I've missed em?

Charles Thomas at Arkansas was pretty solid.
LaQuinton Ross was solid at tOSU, but also didn't even play in Jackson for a few years.

Can't think of better that got away over the last couple decades.
That’s kind of the point you squirrelly *****

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Kinda disagree about no parity in CBB. 17ing Baylor and Virginia won a national titles recently. Those aren’t blue blood programs. Texas Tech was a national runner up. We ourselves made the Final Four. There are probably 15-20 teams capable of winning a national title in college basketball any given year, and the teams themselves ebb and flow as to who is in that club.

Probably the top two CBB programs of all time, the bluest of blue bloods if you will, are Kentucky and North Carolina. Both are currently fighting tooth and nail just to make the tourney. You would never see Bama and Ohio State football in a must-win game in November to keep from being relegated to the Birmingham Bowl.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Kinda disagree about no parity in CBB. 17ing Baylor and Virginia won a national titles recently. Those aren’t blue blood programs. Texas Tech was a national runner up. We ourselves made the Final Four. There are probably 15-20 teams capable of winning a national title in college basketball any given year, and the teams themselves ebb and flow as to who is in that club.

Probably the top two CBB programs of all time, the bluest of blue bloods if you will, are Kentucky and North Carolina. Both are currently fighting tooth and nail just to make the tourney. You would never see Bama and Ohio State football in a must-win game in November to keep from being relegated to the Birmingham Bowl.

Alabama went through a period of being awful. Florida is terrible right now. TN did too. It definitely happens

Just look at the list of basketball champions. It’s nothing but the expected teams for the most part. Virginia has a lot of history. It’s basically Baylor. The rest of the list is just the names you would expect.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login